Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 10:13 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Almost there...

My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-chrisrebuild-016.jpg My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-chrisrebuild-017.jpg My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-chrisrebuild-018.jpg My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-chrisrebuild-019.jpg
Old 05-15-2009, 10:27 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We need to get you a transformer emblem ASAP!
Old 05-15-2009, 10:30 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by bb1314
We need to get you a transformer emblem ASAP!
Maybe Maximus Z can walk itself down to F:T and save me the $$$ for the tow .
Old 05-15-2009, 01:42 PM
shocka04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bb1314
You've waited this long, missing one event or two should not be a big deal!
+1, Seriously everything that you've been through, I wouldnt rush anything just to make it to an event that will likely happen again
Old 05-16-2009, 06:18 AM
nyqueenz

Originally Posted by Cass007
I picked up the turbos fram Blouch yesterday - rebuilt again with new catridges. Mike even saved the old bearings and some of the oil that they drained out so I could see and feel how gritty the material was. A big Thank You to Blouch again for the great pricing and awesome turn time - those guys are awesome. FYI - there were another set of APS turbos there to have mods similar to mine done to them, anyone want to fess up to who they belong to??

The front fascia should be done today from re-paint and powdercoating should be done tomorrow. I decided to powdercoat the cam covers again because failure will not run my life. I fixed a few of the cosmetic things that I thought could have done better as well and am excited to see the result.

Frank confirmed that Justice Racing has started on the machining process and all is moving smoothly there as well.

Look for a post from Dave at Headgames in my thread in the next week or so detailing what I am having done to my heads and what gains can be expected over the stock heads. Headgames is trying to put together an economical package to give VQ owners some bang for their buck in terms of HP vs $$$$. I will be the first person with this particular package, but am not a perfect test mule since I will not have a baseline dyno for my motor with the stock heads. Dave will have a comparison to the stock heads in terms of flow testing (cfm).

Overall I would like to thank all the vendors involved for the unbelieveable turn time and keeing things on schedule so I will have a chance at making the airstrip event in NC.

Also, a Thank You as well to Frank Hill for sourcing my parts at cost for the re-build and for always taking my calls or texts and letting my car live at his shop for the past 2-3 months (just like Nick's G37 ), I've started to think of my and Nick's cars as Hill's Garage shop cars. Frank and Suzanne have been just awesome throughout this entire process and I'm truly glad I have gotten to know them both.

A final Thank You and shout out to Dave at Function Tuned for his input on the re-build and the hook-up with the guys at Justice. He has been waiting very patiently for me to finish up this project and show the VQ community what the Vi-PEC can offer as an EMS. He also responds to my texts whenever I need his input or opinion (we are like 14 yr old girls that way ) and I'm looking forward to seeing him in the next few weeks if all goes as planned.

I'm not sure if I will do all the pics again or not as things come together since 90% of it should look the same, but if people want to see them I will post them up. Thanks to everyone who has offered their support in my period of fail and helped me turn the corner and finish this project, there really are some very nice people on this forum.
I’m glad that everything is coming along very nicely, and the turnaround time is amazing. Frank must have done a wonderful job gettin your Z all squared away.. Now hurry up and get your car otta da Hillz garage so I can start on my project.... JK.. Lol good luck wit your new toy Bro. Peace and elbow grease..
Old 05-16-2009, 07:27 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by nyqueenz
I’m glad that everything is coming along very nicely, and the turnaround time is amazing. Frank must have done a wonderful job gettin your Z all squared away.. Now hurry up and get your car otta da Hillz garage so I can start on my project.... JK.. Lol good luck wit your new toy Bro. Peace and elbow grease..
Lance - with Nick and I both picking our cars up this weekend the title of shop car will now fall to you. Can't wait to see your end result - be safe. - Cass
Old 05-16-2009, 09:41 AM
35Z

Exclamation In Progress or Nearly Done!?

Looking Good.

Is their a gap between the bumper cover and the IC?
Old 05-16-2009, 02:15 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Finally some good news for you.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:02 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by 35Z
Looking Good.

Is their a gap between the bumper cover and the IC?
I think so, but I haven't seen the car since Frank put the front back on. I will check tomorrow.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:47 PM
sublimemoment

Your engine bay looks amazing!!!! Very nice taste/work.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:27 PM
nyqueenz

Lance - with Nick and I both picking our cars up this weekend the title of shop car will now fall to you. Can't wait to see your end result - be safe. - Cass
Cant belive Frank busted out two cars at the same time... MAD PROPS for a One man shop thats all i gotta say.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:21 PM
ajcool2

Yay now he can work on my girls car. Woot!
Old 05-18-2009, 03:03 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Old 05-18-2009, 04:06 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Cass, when is the tune scheduled for??
Old 05-18-2009, 05:31 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Jay'Z
Cass, when is the tune scheduled for??
I'm like 3rd in line at F:T right now. ZdayZ is not looking good. I don't even know if my car will be looked at this week or not.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:50 PM
thom000001

Tune??????
Meh...overated lol

glad to see its workin out

tom

I'm like 3rd in line at F:T right now. ZdayZ is not looking good. I don't even know if my car will be looked at this week or not.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:22 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by thom000001
Tune??????
Meh...overated lol

glad to see its workin out

tom
Thanks Tom.

I've decided to hold off on installing the dual Walbros for now. After speaking with Robbie (Driven1) at the F:T open house I realize that the car will still seem much faster than I am used to and I may need to upgrade to a wider rear wheel to put down traction, but I need to learn how to drive what I have first.

Also, this will let the car just be tuned as is, rather than fabbing upgrades to the fuel system. There is also some debate on whether or not the stock fuel rails, with the JWT mods done to them, will be able to handle the increased flow or if an aftermarket rail is necessary. I will get a baseline number from the current setup and then do some research and make an informed decision down the road. Besides, this will give me an upgrade as consolation the first time I get walked by someone faster

Just trying to be patient as the final step is taken before I actually get to have the car again.... the wait is killing me. Keeping my fingers crossed that it actually makes it onto the dyno this time .

In other news, I got a package last week that was full of win... it was from Wicked CAS. Pics to come shortly. Time to find out if the interior plastics can be powder coated .
Old 05-19-2009, 11:22 AM
thom000001

Yea, even on a single walbro you can make a lot of power.

tires are a MUST. My 275-40-18 Khumo ECSTA MX's were junk for even pump-gas power until triple digit speeds.
Folks seem to have good luck with the BFG KDW2's if you have to go to different tires.

I am now running a 295-35-18 BFG Drag radial on a 9.5in wheel. They stick like glue in the straights (full throttle in 2nd on pump no problem now), gotta let them lean before trying to put any power down in a curve.

tom

Thanks Tom.

I've decided to hold off on installing the dual Walbros for now. After speaking with Robbie (Driven1) at the F:T open house I realize that the car will still seem much faster than I am used to and I may need to upgrade to a wider rear wheel to put down traction, but I need to learn how to drive what I have first.

Also, this will let the car just be tuned as is, rather than fabbing upgrades to the fuel system. There is also some debate on whether or not the stock fuel rails, with the JWT mods done to them, will be able to handle the increased flow or if an aftermarket rail is necessary. I will get a baseline number from the current setup and then do some research and make an informed decision down the road. Besides, this will give me an upgrade as consolation the first time I get walked by someone faster

Just trying to be patient as the final step is taken before I actually get to have the car again.... the wait is killing me. Keeping my fingers crossed that it actually makes it onto the dyno this time .

In other news, I got a package last week that was full of win... it was from Wicked CAS. Pics to come shortly. Time to find out if the interior plastics can be powder coated .
Old 05-19-2009, 11:25 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Cass, fuel delivery is something you don't wanna mess with... id say go with proven aftermarket fuel rails... and decent sized injectors(forgot what size you going with).... later on you'll just need to add twin pump and maybe even bigger injectors if you decide to take it a step further later on.....800hp isn't out of the question at all with race gas on single pump(+proper injectors and sized turbo(s)), you can always use methanol to tune for more power too, though i would be conservative on that......also, IMO twin pump will be the way to go down the road..

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 05-19-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:07 PM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Thanks Tom.

Hey not sure if you already have any body shop hookup. But I have a place in Elkridge, MD that does some really good work. The most amazing thing is the turn around time!!! These people are speedy + put out good words. Let me know if you want a name and a number.

Quick Reply: My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress