Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

turbonetics or vortech. . daily driver???

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 08:54 PM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and this is something i am taking into consideration, since i don't wanna deal with worrying about getting it inspected when that time comes. . turbonetics guys please tell what engine lights you have gotten and why and how you are getting inspected when the time comes. . like i said i would be running a utec so i don't know if it would throw codes or not besides the cats not being there which i would just get defoulers.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:31 PM
350Z400rwhp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
and this is something i am taking into consideration, since i don't wanna deal with worrying about getting it inspected when that time comes. . turbonetics guys please tell what engine lights you have gotten and why and how you are getting inspected when the time comes. . like i said i would be running a utec so i don't know if it would throw codes or not besides the cats not being there which i would just get defoulers.
I don't know if there would be a tendency to throw more codes with a TN over a Vortech though I may be wrong. I had great luck with the megan racing pipes (they have the defoulers built in, though you will have to have a bung welded on for your wideband), just make sure to get the new ones with the flex section in them. I also have a utec and it is so consistent it feels like the stock ecu. Sometimes I wonder if it is even working lol.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:13 PM
drewk

7.2psi is all we could get out of it on the Dyno.Besides I had a boost leak on the MAF housing. My timing is a little high that's how I got those high TQ's . Running the Snow Meth Stage II kit 50/50 mix it helps out a lot with the TN high Air Intake Temps. Using a EBC now and retuned it myself for 10psi pulls hard as hell. WOT in 3d is immediate wheel spin. Need to get it back to Auto Motion for Charles to tweak it and see what I'm putting down.
I'm getting your dyno #s on 10 psi, is that normal? Should I get a smaller spring?
Old 12-09-2008, 10:55 PM
tylerxfire

different dyno's different numbers man. . u got turbonetics, got any codes thrown from it? runnin reflash, different ems? any input?
Old 12-09-2008, 10:57 PM
tylerxfire

350 you still got stock exhaust but with the test pipes? throw an exhaust on that pig
Old 12-10-2008, 04:16 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can expect the random misfire code, the lean/rich codes and/or the air/fuel code. I have the Utec with 650cc DW injectors and fuel return system.

If you go with injectors larger than 500cc on either kit with a Utec, you will get the hot start issue, meaning you have to pump the pedal to start the car after it is warm. This is not a big issue, but can be slightly embarrasing if people are checking your car out and you attempt to start it and it doesn't turn over.

Lastly, if you have an '05 or newer, you are almost gauranteed to get CELs. I have read every thread I could find on this topic and there is no single 100% fix for the CELs. Each car needs to find the right mix of O2 sensor placements and possible non-foulers (if you have cats or not) to make it not throw O2 codes, but you may still get the misfire code. Like I said before, the power you want is in the TN Single you have, but the issue for you is emissions inspection.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:38 AM
drewk

different dyno's different numbers man. . u got turbonetics, got any codes thrown from it? runnin reflash, different ems? any input?
Yes, turbonetics kit. No codes whatsoever, I am running a reflash, however its not the turbonetics reflash, the shop that did the install have their own reflash. I have a motordyne 5/16" iso thermal copper plenum spacer, 3" exhaust. Im pretty pissed about those numbers, I would like to see at least 400 to the wheels from this kit. Maybe Ill add a thread and post my dyno sheet and see what people think....
Old 12-10-2008, 08:07 AM
tylerxfire

really seems like some people get codes thrown and some don't like a luck of the draw thing. . i have a 03 if that matters, and the misfire codes and rich/lean codes seem like it would be in the tune. . if there is a good tune it doesn't seem like you should get codes, and as far as hot start issues, not everyone is getting that and it is def. not because of going over 500cc injectors with a utec i have talked to many people who are running big injectors with utec and don't have the problem. . seems to be in the tune and have to deal with fuel pressure, but mostly in the tune.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:08 AM
tylerxfire

drew whats the shop called that did your reflash, must be inhouse custom reflash or somethin?
Old 12-10-2008, 08:18 AM
frankie945

really seems like some people get codes thrown and some don't like a luck of the draw thing. . i have a 03 if that matters, and the misfire codes and rich/lean codes seem like it would be in the tune. . if there is a good tune it doesn't seem like you should get codes, and as far as hot start issues, not everyone is getting that and it is def. not because of going over 500cc injectors with a utec i have talked to many people who are running big injectors with utec and don't have the problem. . seems to be in the tune and have to deal with fuel pressure, but mostly in the tune.
If you have 550cc and up you will have hot start problems. It's not a big deal you get used to it. Just bump the throttle at start.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:38 AM
SweetDreamZ

My 2cents...

I don't have either, but I am running a Procharger. I had the same debate as you when I was going FI...and my car is my daily driver as well...so I wanted it to be reliable. I think everyone is right when they say you will feel faster with the TN kit. However, I can tell you that the guys who tuned my car (Injected Performance...Hal in particular) were shocked at the horsepower the Procharger put down. If I remember right, he had run the TN kit on his car for a while and was running 330-350 rwhp on a Dyno Dynamics....granted, w/ much more mid-range torque than my Procharger...but I did end up with 378rwhp on my procharger at 9psi (on the same Dyno Dynamics).

Initially, I was somewhat sad that I didn't have that midrange torque...however...after driving it for a while now...here are some things to think about. What is your "use case", if you will. Daily driver right? So are you going to be tracking it? Are you going to be doing many high speed runs? I know I don't. I flog my car daily. At low speeds. And trust me...the procharger is powerful enough to have traction issues (in the low-midrange) in 1st and 2nd gear...sometimes even 3rd if i slam gears. And this is with boost coming on linearly. I can only imagine that with turbo boost, you are going to have hella-issues with traction at low speeds!!! fun? of course. does it fit your use case? I dunno.

Another thing to consider...superchargers are generally gonna require a bit more fuel than their turbo counterparts at the same psi. like I said, i'm at 9psi, and I'm running Deatshewerks 600cc injectors mated to a Walbro 255lph in-tank with NO return fuel system...and I'm around 85% or so on those injectors already (once again, if i remember correctly).

So...that's just some info to mull over. In the end, i'll either be huge single turbo, or some twin turbo...on a built motor....when the car is no longer my daily driver. For now...I love the power the car has....the response is great...it's very manageable (my fiancee drives it all the time)...and (cross my fingers) I have haven't had any issues yet. I DO, however, throw the CEL light frequently...due to timing issues...common problem...I just deal with it as we don't have inspections here in Indiana. However, you could sacrifice some horsepower...run stock, or closer to stock, timing...and avoid that issue as well.

P.S. Jay'Z is selling a procharger kit right now if you have any interest

GOOD LUCK!!!

Last edited by SweetDreamZ; 12-10-2008 at 08:50 AM.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:01 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by drewk
Yes, turbonetics kit. No codes whatsoever, I am running a reflash, however its not the turbonetics reflash, the shop that did the install have their own reflash. I have a motordyne 5/16" iso thermal copper plenum spacer, 3" exhaust. Im pretty pissed about those numbers, I would like to see at least 400 to the wheels from this kit. Maybe Ill add a thread and post my dyno sheet and see what people think....
If the re-flash is custom, do you know if they have it set so that the CEL does not turn on for specific codes. This would be similar to other re-flashes that are available - its not that the car isn't throwing codes, its that the stock ECU is told to ignore them. Problem is, if you are in a state that plugs directly into the OBD port for emissions the reflashed sensors come up as pending and you can fail anyhow.

If you have 550cc and up you will have hot start problems. It's not a big deal you get used to it. Just bump the throttle at start
+1 - thats what I'm saying

and as far as hot start issues, not everyone is getting that and it is def. not because of going over 500cc injectors with a utec i have talked to many people who are running big injectors with utec and don't have the problem. . seems to be in the tune and have to deal with fuel pressure, but mostly in the tune
I disagree and think that maybe you are mis-informed. The Utec cannot scale injectors at startup and when you get larger injectors the hot start issue occurs. My car started fine when it was hot when all I was running was 440cc injectors and the TN reflash.

really seems like some people get codes thrown and some don't like a luck of the draw thing. . i have a 03 if that matters, and the misfire codes and rich/lean codes seem like it would be in the tune. . if there is a good tune it doesn't seem like you should get codes
Codes are luck of the draw, the 04.5 and newer cars seem to throw codes more often. I cannot say if the codes could be tuned out (I doubt they can), but I am tuned for power and my car runs great. I am Function:Tuned and don't believe my tune is related to the CELs at all. I could move around the O2 sensors and look into non-foulers, but at this point I'm just going to title my car in Florida so I can throw more lights than a Christmas tree.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:15 PM
Asad_A203

Originally Posted by Cass007
If the re-flash is custom, do you know if they have it set so that the CEL does not turn on for specific codes. This would be similar to other re-flashes that are available - its not that the car isn't throwing codes, its that the stock ECU is told to ignore them. Problem is, if you are in a state that plugs directly into the OBD port for emissions the reflashed sensors come up as pending and you can fail anyhow.

+1 - thats what I'm saying

I disagree and think that maybe you are mis-informed. The Utec cannot scale injectors at startup and when you get larger injectors the hot start issue occurs. My car started fine when it was hot when all I was running was 440cc injectors and the TN reflash.

Codes are luck of the draw, the 04.5 and newer cars seem to throw codes more often. I cannot say if the codes could be tuned out (I doubt they can), but I am tuned for power and my car runs great. I am Function:Tuned and don't believe my tune is related to the CELs at all. I could move around the O2 sensors and look into non-foulers, but at this point I'm just going to title my car in Florida so I can throw more lights than a Christmas tree.
What is the max PSI recommended on a TN kit on a stock motor and how much PSI can you run on a built motor with a TN kit?
Old 12-10-2008, 02:41 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Asad_A203
What is the max PSI recommended on a TN kit on a stock motor and how much PSI can you run on a built motor with a TN kit?
It differs, but I would say that it is 9psi or less on a stock motor. I do not know what the max psi is for the TN kit because most will say the if you are building the motor the TN kit is not your best route. I think that it will max out at appx 450ish whp on a DJ, but someone like spoilsofwar may know for sure.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:56 PM
tylerxfire

wouldn't be so into what psi rather than the power level the car is making both horsepower and torque and air fuel. . but to guess id say stock block wouldn't want much more than 10psi but all depending on what else is done to the car and tune...anyone else have any input on throwing codes with the kit, this is basically whats holding me up. . i will need to pass nys emissions and like i said not worried about having no cats i will get defoulers, but misfire codes and such i need to hear about.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:40 PM
drewk

drew whats the shop called that did your reflash, must be inhouse custom reflash or somethin?
Its Genesis Racing Development... ya it is somewhat of an inhouse custom reflash. I didnt get much into detail about it with them.

I dont really know, is there such a thing where the ecu can be told to ignore codes? Cause if there is I should look into that further... I am a little pissed at the shop right now. I found a couple of things wrong with the car following their install of my turbonetics kit which I am not happy about.
You might see a thread about it soon....

It differs, but I would say that it is 9psi or less on a stock motor. I do not know what the max psi is for the TN kit because most will say the if you are building the motor the TN kit is not your best route. I think that it will max out at appx 450ish whp on a DJ, but someone like spoilsofwar may know for sure.
I am running 10psi, making 360 to the wheels. Something to do with the spring, not sure what I should do about it.

Last edited by drewk; 12-10-2008 at 04:42 PM. Reason: b
Old 12-10-2008, 04:44 PM
tylerxfire

what are the problems please do tell, these are things i would like to hear about
Old 12-10-2008, 05:00 PM
frankie945

Originally Posted by drewk

I am running 10psi, making 360 to the wheels. Something to do with the spring, not sure what I should do about it.
You need a better tuner. Reflash's suck get a real EMS and re-tune it. Reflash are only good to scale injectors , raising idle, and speed limiter removal, IMO.

If you want more power out of your TN kit. https://my350z.com/forum/product-ann...nterest-8.html

Last edited by frankie945; 12-10-2008 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:26 PM
04LIQUIDSILVER

wouldn't be so into what psi rather than the power level the car is making both horsepower and torque and air fuel. . but to guess id say stock block wouldn't want much more than 10psi but all depending on what else is done to the car and tune...anyone else have any input on throwing codes with the kit, this is basically whats holding me up. . i will need to pass nys emissions and like i said not worried about having no cats i will get defoulers, but misfire codes and such i need to hear about.
NY does not do emisssions on our cars... but if you have a check engine light they will fail you... I passed my with UTEC no problem
Old 12-10-2008, 06:14 PM
tylerxfire

ny state does the computer diagnosis on all cars 92 and newer i believe. . i know for a fact where i am in ny they do inspection on the z cause i have already had to. . i just gotta figure out if i will have lights on from the kit and what i can do to get around it

Quick Reply: turbonetics or vortech. . daily driver???