Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

turbonetics or vortech. . daily driver???

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 12:32 PM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default turbonetics or vortech. . daily driver???

hey guys, so i have a turbonetics kit but i am selling due to this is my daily driver and i have read alot of things good and bad about turbonetics. . such as running hot and blowing seals on the turbo and others as well, and not to mention the added torque down low that is rougher on the motor than a charger. . so basically i am torn between keeping the kit installing it and having it tuned with a utec professionally which is alot of it usually. . but like i said i daily drive and am on stock block. . i would like to hear more problems from the vortech guys they have encountered and y it happened. . On the downside i know the vortech will put out good power but won't have the torque i am looking for out of the turbo kit but would much rather have reliability and beat on it everyday not being scared to break it.

i don't need answers like go tt and all that or powerlab or anything i know they are all great kits but out of my price range right now, and i can install the turbonetics myself or vortech myself and save money toward a good tune, not to mention i already have the turbonetics kit siting here, just kinda looking for what you guys would do, throw it on or get rid of it and get a vortech kit and why.

positive feedback please just stating facts everyone has had with these two kits so i can narrow it down a little more. Only thing is intallation and tuning is a big part of it so i would like to know who installed and tuned also. thanks
Old 12-09-2008, 12:41 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO the TN Single kit will give you a bit more of a kick in the pants (feel faster), but you are right that the Vortech will probably be less maintenence over the long haul. Blowing turbo seals and heat issues (other than the AC line) are minimal if you get a good tune on the TN and stick to 8.5psi.

The problem you are going to have, from the other threads you have posted in, is that you will throw CELs consistantly an will be unable to pass an OBD emissions test without a lot of trouble-shooting. Its a hard choice for you because I think you would enjoy the torque the TN Single offers. Good Luck.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:44 PM
frankie945

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started off with a procharger. Then switched to TN because got tired of the power, And wanted more TQ. I do not drive the Z everyday. But have had no problems out of the kit besides the AC line burnt up on me. And if you want your motor to last a long time then supercharge it. Puts less strain on the internals. If I was you I would have already slaped that kit on. IMO. If I had to do it over again I would go with Twin's.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:05 PM
tylerxfire

Default thanks

thanks for input guys, i def. agree the turbonetics kit is gonna be faster no doubt about it, but as far as reliability the supercharger is gonna be less maintenance and easier on the motor. . but i plan to just stick to 8-9 psi on the turbonetics and get the new longer ac line if i use the kit and reroute it so it doesn't burn up, but i have heard of engines running hot and i like to go to the track quite often. . as far as not passing emissions is this because of no cats or because of check engine for other reasons. . i am fine with throwing the code for no cats as i will just get a set from turbonetics to throw on when it comes that time, but i can't have other lights on that just stay on for no apparent reason
Old 12-09-2008, 01:28 PM
frankie945

I have had 1 code since I put my kit on it was misfiring code which is typical for FI Z's I don't know were these people come up with all these codes. Or SES lights on all the time. Mine doesn't I guess it might just depend on the car. I can drive all day without hitting boost if I stay off the pedal. With a supercharger you have to stay on top of the belts to make sure the stay tight and check oil. Turbo I just check oil and change plugs every 6k.

Last edited by frankie945; 12-09-2008 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:38 PM
tylerxfire

you installed your own turbonetics kit? how did it go, and i see pretty good numbers only on 7.2 psi. . how did you get boost that low, by running softer spring? which spring, thats all im really lookin for if i run the kit
Old 12-09-2008, 02:04 PM
craigo'sznprgrs

Drove the TN kit for 20k miles (3k with Greddy twins) with zero problems. I would say definatively TN or Greddy depending if this is the beginning or end of your FI career.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:19 PM
frankie945

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
you installed your own turbonetics kit? how did it go, and i see pretty good numbers only on 7.2 psi. . how did you get boost that low, by running softer spring? which spring, thats all im really lookin for if i run the kit
7.2psi is all we could get out of it on the Dyno.Besides I had a boost leak on the MAF housing. My timing is a little high that's how I got those high TQ's . Running the Snow Meth Stage II kit 50/50 mix it helps out a lot with the TN high Air Intake Temps. Using a EBC now and retuned it myself for 10psi pulls hard as hell. WOT in 3d is immediate wheel spin. Need to get it back to Auto Motion for Charles to tweak it and see what I'm putting down.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:29 PM
frankie945

Install was easy, took 1 week working in the evenings on it. One thing I regret is not just getting a custom AC line, I knew it would be a problem. This Forum helped out a lot doing search's and such.

By the way, I have installed Nitrous 75 shot used 1 bottle, then Procharged 8psi for 4k miles. And now Turbo. Turbo is by far the best and the most fun.
What ever you choose Good Luck with everything.

Last edited by frankie945; 12-09-2008 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:57 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

If you can install them yourself, why not just put it on and try? Bring it to alive.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:08 PM
bbs350z

to bulletproof your tn kit, think prevention. heatwrap everything near the turbo (also consider buying a turbo blanket. there ugly as sin but do a great job). double wrap the ac line before you even put it in. make sure that everything near the turbo stays cool, and while your at it, send the turbo back to tn to get a waterline added. to my knowledge, they still do that for free. if you want the email address, pm me i have it somewhere in my email inbox from before i got twins. in all honesty, if you can take simple precautions, and get a good tune, it'll run smooth. get 440cc injectors and a utec, as its far sperior to the flashed ecu.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:06 PM
tylerxfire

Default thanks for more input

all things i wanted to hear guys, this makes me second thought selling it, as i do want the torque over the supercharger. . I just really don't wanna run into problems, and ill be honest i like to drive the damn car hard when i get the chance and don't wanna be second guessing it if it will hold up. . but from what i have heard it is a decent kit. .

now the kit i have already is the new kit with water cooled bearings, it was bought as a used kit that was used for 3k miles,and is in great shape. the previous owner didn't have any problems with it. . a turbo blanket would prolly be a good idea, and like i said i think turbonetics now has a different line for ac that is longer to reroute, so i plan on getting that and wrapping that and rerouting it as far away from heat as possible. I plan to heatwrap everything on the exhaust piping side of things, might as well right. . (i am talking everything), every piece of exhaust piping with the kit, can't hurt anything right..and i have plans to just get rid of the injectors i have and get at least 440's maybe 550's and a utec tune to top it off. . i don't know what im scared about just have read alot of things on here i guess.

one thing though i have been thinking of is just having the turbo rebuilt before even putting it in so i don't have to do it after its on and starts smoking, and come across having to deal with downtime for the car. . any idea how much it could be rebuilt for?
Old 12-09-2008, 06:14 PM
craigo'sznprgrs

If there isn't any shaft play, I wouldn't worry about rebuilding the turbo. If there were a problem down the road, it isn't hard to remove .
Old 12-09-2008, 06:30 PM
tylerxfire

true i could remove it and send it in for a rebuild when or if it happens, but then car would be down for shipping process along with turbonetics having to rebuild it which im sure takes a little time. . but i could check it out and decide. . How do i check the shaft play?

Last edited by tylerxfire; 12-09-2008 at 06:38 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:41 PM
tylerxfire

im assuming it is the shaft that goes through obviously but should i be able to move it at all out or in up or down. . or should it be completely fixed with absolutely no movement and just spin. . complicated ok, if i take it from both sides of the turbo and housing should it move left and right at all even littlest bit if i push back and fourth, same with if i took the propeller part with my hand should it move up and down at all even little bit.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:07 PM
bseries_ben

so if i understand everything here correctly, the TN kit runs hot both just from heat coming off the turbo, and higher AIT's as well? i read that the intercooler piping is what causes the higher AIT's is this correct and if so what about the piping makes this so? if so would getting 1.) a turbo blanket and 2.) some custom made IC piping be all that is necessary to successfully DD this kit on a stock motor?

would it still be necessary to either reroute the AC line or heat wrap items if you had utilized a turbo blanket?
Old 12-09-2008, 07:08 PM
350Z400rwhp

I love my Vortech and its fast on the top end but more torque would be nice! Sometimes it feels really slow and sometimes it feels fast. Torque is fun, I would stick with the TN if you already have it. Just make sure to do what everyone is saying here about heat wrapping everything. In the end I went with the Vortech because it was very easy to install and just seemed less risky at the time. I think I was just underestimating how much a stock block could take assuming a good tune.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:57 PM
tylerxfire

well i know if i use the kit i will reroute and wrap the ac line cause i gotta have it, and get turbo a blanket, and heat wrap everything i can and to the part to be a dd i don't think these things are really a necessity it is just something to do to be safe of problems in the long run. . but as far as custom intercooler piping that is def. not a necessity if other precautions are made imo. .
Old 12-09-2008, 07:58 PM
tylerxfire

thanks for the vortech input 350. . good to hear. . i think i would be in the same boat too as far as not feeling like the vortech is fast enough. . but do you have any engine lights on with that kit.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:29 PM
350Z400rwhp

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
thanks for the vortech input 350. . good to hear. . i think i would be in the same boat too as far as not feeling like the vortech is fast enough. . but do you have any engine lights on with that kit.
One thing I can say about my setup is it may be low on power and pretty conservative but in 6,000 miles I have never had a single issue and never an engine light. Its not my daily driver but I beat on it when I do drive it.

Quick Reply: turbonetics or vortech. . daily driver???