Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

the next CJM intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 11:29 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
Do you guys think you will switch to this new version with the throttle body up front? As impressive as the one currently on your shop car is, I'm confident that this straight path through the front has gotta flow better and will yield more power versus the conventional angled rear entry on your prototype and all the other VQ plenums out there.
I also like the symmetry of this design. I hope there is consideration for a version with longer runners at some point in the future. Much larger market if you can address the 250-500 whp segment also...
Old 01-21-2009, 11:43 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there are very good chances it will make power on the 500ish cars... chances improved if they are revving out with cams that match the manifold tuning, and turbos that can support that extra airflow. for NA cars, its hopeless with the only remote chance possibly being a 9000rpm screamer.

intake manifolds and camshafts are similiar in the sense of how they effect the powerband, and if you have them working together you can really start to see benefits.

im confident that this manifold will be a no-brainer for the big gun cars, but im pretty confident that its success in the middle range power cars will heavily depend on supporting modifications
Old 01-21-2009, 11:49 AM
XKR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phunk
there are very good chances it will make power on the 500ish cars... chances improved if they are revving out with cams that match the manifold tuning, and turbos that can support that extra airflow. for NA cars, its hopeless with the only remote chance possibly being a 9000rpm screamer.

intake manifolds and camshafts are similiar in the sense of how they effect the powerband, and if you have them working together you can really start to see benefits.

im confident that this manifold will be a no-brainer for the big gun cars, but im pretty confident that its success in the middle range power cars will heavily depend on supporting modifications

Ohhh....I think Charles is trying to say Cosworth Heads and 282 cams... I got your back Charles
Old 01-22-2009, 08:54 AM
35Z

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
Do you guys think you will switch to this new version with the throttle body up front? As impressive as the one currently on your shop car is, I'm confident that this straight path through the front has gotta flow better and will yield more power versus the conventional angled rear entry on your prototype and all the other VQ plenums out there.
I'm in for the flow test comparision to the stock plenum set-up on a FI 350Z VQ3.5DE engine. Any issues with relocation the TB to the front?
Old 01-22-2009, 09:35 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

It would be interesting to try this new plenum and the old CJM plenum on the Sound Performance 350z.

A dyno run would be interesting, but a complete run down the track might be even more interesting. I'm thinking the direct front delivery system of the new plenum will provide much less turbulent air... and also the straight ram effect should help, too.

Thanks for making this information available to everyone, Charles.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:39 AM
thom000001

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to really maximize this you'll want to go to/have a vetical flow innercooler too right? if you had to make a hard or series of tight turns to make it into the front TB what would be the advantage vs the stock setup? am I right or way off?

tom
Old 01-22-2009, 11:33 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Originally Posted by thom000001
to really maximize this you'll want to go to/have a vetical flow innercooler too right? if you had to make a hard or series of tight turns to make it into the front TB what would be the advantage vs the stock setup? am I right or way off?

tom
i would agree that to fully maximize the layout, vertical IC with a modified radiator setup and a straight forward TB inlet pipe would be the way to go.

but i guess even if you keep everything how it is, and use the 90 degree elbow, its a little less bending than the stock layout which has to almost make a u-turn.

as for piping anyway.... but as for just the intake plenum... its hard to say exactly if there are benfits to entering how we do... over stock runners i would say yes, but with our runners im not too sure that it makes as much a different to enter back or front.... so i wouldnt really say that i figure this thing to have a lot over our previous layout unless you really take advantage of the throttle layout.... but our previous one was never put into production anyway... we have to decide if it ever will or if it will just be this one. we can build either custom order, or heck, we can do whatever it is someone wants since we have all our boundries in the CAD... 1,2,3,4 throttles... located anywhere, various displacements... we could pretty much do it however someone wanted - but that said, we need to settle on a off-the-shelf version, and this may be chosen for that rather then the stock location throttle version. we could offer IC tubes for the typical turbo kits, etc.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:34 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Originally Posted by 35Z
I'm in for the flow test comparision to the stock plenum set-up on a FI 350Z VQ3.5DE engine. Any issues with relocation the TB to the front?
issues... not really, just need to connect the dots (custom throttle inlet pipe, extend throttle wiring harness, etc.)
Old 01-22-2009, 11:44 AM
thom000001

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet Charles,

Can I get one in the shape of a hand giving a thumbs up??????

lol

tom

Originally Posted by phunk
i would agree that to fully maximize the layout, vertical IC with a modified radiator setup and a straight forward TB inlet pipe would be the way to go.

but i guess even if you keep everything how it is, and use the 90 degree elbow, its a little less bending than the stock layout which has to almost make a u-turn.

as for piping anyway.... but as for just the intake plenum... its hard to say exactly if there are benfits to entering how we do... over stock runners i would say yes, but with our runners im not too sure that it makes as much a different to enter back or front.... so i wouldnt really say that i figure this thing to have a lot over our previous layout unless you really take advantage of the throttle layout.... but our previous one was never put into production anyway... we have to decide if it ever will or if it will just be this one. we can build either custom order, or heck, we can do whatever it is someone wants since we have all our boundries in the CAD... 1,2,3,4 throttles... located anywhere, various displacements... we could pretty much do it however someone wanted - but that said, we need to settle on a off-the-shelf version, and this may be chosen for that rather then the stock location throttle version. we could offer IC tubes for the typical turbo kits, etc.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:05 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

thumb will need hood clearancing
Old 01-22-2009, 12:31 PM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That's what you need next 4 TB's, one on each side...

No but really that looks clean, interested on how it does...
Old 01-23-2009, 10:33 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

some fun news..

worked out the throttle position... due to where it needs to sit, the 2 piece manifold will have the stock TB flange right on it rather then using an adapter plate. so thats cool, no additional adapter will need to be manufactured or purchased.

also, a 3" silicone elbow clears everything fine, no mods of the stock fan shroud are actually needed... at least on my car, its so close that it may or may not require very minor trimming for some, but i dont think so. this is with the koyo rad... im not sure the thickness of my koyo but i do know that when i bought it, there were 2 sizes, and i got the thicker one.

also, a cusco strut bar appears to fit believe it or not... i put the bar on, and shut the hood, and i can flex the hood down about a half inch before it hits the bar. the bar is not sitting flush on the mounts tho, looks like it needs a half inch spacer under each bolt to tighten it down.

now, that issue is a little relative tho, because i have a veilside hood. the veilside hood doesnt have all the support webbing. i know for sure from putting the manifold on SPs car for test fit with stock hood that the stock hood will need a couple inches of the support webbing trimmed out in the front, no biggie... but when it comes to putting the cusco strut bar on with half inch spacers, i dont know if that will fit under a stock hood without additional trimming or not... the only way to tell is for someone with the cusco bar to use half inch spacers and see if the stock hood still clears it.

but what is important is that the minor trimming that needs to be done to clear your stock hood is all done on the underside, and that the main sheet metal doesnt needs to be touched, and your hood will look no different from the outside... and no one is really going to notice or care about trimmed support gussets on the bottom side.

also, i dont know if any other strut bars will fit, i only had a cusco laying around to try... the cusco is very very thin, but super wide, so its the best canidate... if your bar is a lot like it, it may or may not fit.

Last edited by phunk; 01-23-2009 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:42 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

so in a nutshell and with a picture.... this combo, cusco bar, veilside v2 hood... the only mods that need to be done to run this manifold on my car is to make a new 3" aluminum pipe that goes from the throttle body couple to the greddy coupler that is coming into the engine bay by the drivers side airfilter. and to run this combo on a stock hood will just require some gusset trimming on the underside.

not too shabby!

Last edited by phunk; 06-18-2009 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:19 AM
jtgli

If only this would be worth it for a mild built tt Z. I love the way it looks!
Old 01-23-2009, 11:45 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

It probably is but we will see. My car as it sits is Greddy kit with 3" turbo back, typical short block and jwt s1 cams. Depending on timing I may have a chance to test it before the big setup
Old 01-23-2009, 11:47 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

yes, more testing and comparisons needed, too many questions at this point to see if the 2k-3k price tag makes sense.
It will be interesting if you are able to rev higher and check the differences when you test it in your car. keep up the good work!
Old 01-23-2009, 11:54 AM
oorx7
Vendor - Former Vendor

If I can get the CAD done for TB change by next week, we could order material and be cutting by next weekend. I would like to test this one before Charles takes his car apart for the big build. Let's talk him into it!!
Old 01-23-2009, 12:10 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

I sold my aps plenum so we would only have stock for comparison...
Old 01-23-2009, 12:15 PM
eXe-Chris
Banned

Charles I have a Kinetix SSV if you guys want to use that.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:20 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Headwork...check
Built Motor...check
Cams...Unknown till motor is running
High HP...check (better be a freakin check)

Will this clear the APS Strut Brace???

** hope this makes sense, I've been drinking

Quick Reply: the next CJM intake