Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

XKR Super G... Going for Mach 1

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 07:51 PM
T_K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ttg35fort
I have a design concept and drawings generated. Now, we need to either get a 3D model of the G35 generated with the undertray so that we can run some modelling simulations, or we need to have a prototype made and put the car into a wind tunnel. It would be preferable to do the modelling simulations first, but we are not having much luck at gatting a 3D model we can use. And yes, we tried buying models off of Internet sites, and even though one of the models looks good visually, there are flaws in the underlying structure and it is not adequate for fluid flow modelling purposes.

I'll ask once again, if anyone has 3D modelling experience and wants to help with this project, please PM me.
Too complex. Basic design philosophy can go a long way, without software and super computers.

http://www.aerocivic.com/

No wind tunnel. No CFD. Just basic ideas in aerodynamics. Granted it's taken to a comical extreme, but basic theory goes a long way.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:48 AM
GBoger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T_K
Too complex. Basic design philosophy can go a long way, without software and super computers.

No wind tunnel. No CFD. Just basic ideas in aerodynamics. Granted it's taken to a comical extreme, but basic theory goes a long way.
thats the ugliest thing EVER!!!
Old 11-17-2009, 12:52 PM
XKR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by str8dum1
that clutch is prolly 2 months back ordered. Wouldnt be surprised if the car didnt make any more numbers this year. Esp since people are waiting on it. Thats how it always seems to work
Sharif had some back office contact.....So i was lucky I did not have to wait....Clutch is installed....I will find out when Sharif wants to run it again....

I want to plan with Sharif to take it over to the DJ when i have there also.

I will let you guys know.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:14 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

wow, thats awesome. now since you dont have a clutch holding you back, shoot for that 900++++ DD!
Old 11-17-2009, 04:32 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by T_K

You are correct, basic design philosophy can go a long way. But when someone will be hitting speeds of 200 mph, one would want some kind of assurance. A lot of unpredictable things can happen with fluid flows. One example is the results obtained by using a Gurney flap. Who would have thought it would work and produce the results that it does? There are numerous other examples.

If you have not already done so, read the book Competition Car Aerodynamics: A Practical Handbook by Simon McBeath. That book provides a lot of very eye opening information. The author is very, very experienced in competition car aerodynamics, and one of the points that he frequently stresses is to verify aerodynamic concepts using 3D modelling and wind tunnels.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:07 PM
gotagetmyZ

Can't wait for live updates like last time
Old 11-17-2009, 06:13 PM
z2g

Can someone give me a quick status on wats happening. I went on vacation and lost follow up and thats a lot of stuff to read back on.

Thanks
Old 11-17-2009, 09:26 PM
str8dum1

nothing is happening. the clutch slipped so he had to get a new one.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:01 AM
XKR

wow, thats awesome. now since you dont have a clutch holding you back, shoot for that 900++++ DD!
....Even if i was crazy to try....Sharif would not do it...

Originally Posted by gotagetmyZ
Can't wait for live updates like last time

Originally Posted by z2g
Can someone give me a quick status on wats happening. I went on vacation and lost follow up and thats a lot of stuff to read back on.

Thanks
As stated above.....the Carbonetics triple slipped at 655whp......I was told by Carbonetics that it would hold 750-800 tq.....but because of the way the boost ramps up....it fell short. We could have gotten better numbers with this clutch with a few adjustments or run it on a DJ....but i did not want to wear out a $2300 clutch.

We installed the OS triple .... If this does not hold....I will settle for the power I get.

Last edited by XKR; 11-18-2009 at 05:14 AM.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:52 AM
str8dum1

Sharif wont do it?

Funny you didnt want to wear out a 2300$ clutch when it was already beat down LOL!
Old 11-18-2009, 06:02 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

^ I guess you could sell the carbonetics to someone in the 500 whp club and it should do just fine.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:30 AM
Reality350

I am surprised that FP didn't speak with the two shops that have already eclipsed your whp goal.. I imagine that would have saved you a lot of time and grief...

Look forward to the #'s..
Old 11-18-2009, 06:43 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Originally Posted by Reality350
I am surprised that FP didn't speak with the three shops that have already eclipsed your whp goal.. I imagine that would have saved you a lot of time and grief...

^ Fixed... And

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 11-18-2009 at 06:49 AM.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:44 AM
XKR

Sharif wont do it?

Funny you didnt want to wear out a 2300$ clutch when it was already beat down LOL!
It held 800whp on DJ with the 850bb's with no problems.

Originally Posted by rcdash
^ I guess you could sell the carbonetics to someone in the 500 whp club and it should do just fine.
If they dont have my setup...it will hold over 600whp.

I am surprised that FP didn't speak with the two shops that have already eclipsed your whp goal.. I imagine that would have saved you a lot of time and grief...

This is not Sharif's fault....Sharif and Sam (GTM) felt it would not hold.....but i was not willing to remove a $2300 clutch without having Sharif prove it....expecially after Carbonetics telling me it will hold

Sharif mentioned all the proven clutches that would hold that kind of power....but I am not willing to spend over $4000 on a clutch that was mainly made for the drag strip.....which as most know...I will not be doing. I am building 2 cars at the same time and this one is already way over budget.

The OS 3 I am told will hold....but if it does not.....I will not change the clutch again because I am quite sure it will hold the power to get me to the speeds I need to get to.

Last edited by XKR; 11-18-2009 at 07:05 AM.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:08 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

This doesn't make sense since nothing has really gone wrong with the build. A clutch not holding is hardly surprising (and as per XKR's note above, expected/predicted).

Besides, Sharif is pretty well connected and it's a small industry to boot. Why would you assume he doesn't speak to his colleagues or those he feels have something to contribute? I've watched that man in action and he is on the phone with folks around the country all day long while working. I don't know where he gets all the energy from to do this day in and day out, sometimes 7 days a week!

Last edited by rcdash; 11-18-2009 at 08:48 AM.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:42 AM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

XKR since Scott Bush is now at FP, why don't you have him work his mojo on your clutch? I'm sure he could get it to hold your power with a JWT clutch.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:13 PM
jumpin800agl
8 to 11

Mike what other car project do you have in the works?
Old 11-18-2009, 04:10 PM
z2g

Originally Posted by jumpin800agl
Mike what other car project do you have in the works?
+1 I would love to know this too. Wish I was ballin
Old 11-18-2009, 04:26 PM
Reality350

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
^ Fixed... And
My bad

Originally Posted by XKR
This is not Sharif's fault....Sharif and Sam (GTM) felt it would not hold.....but i was not willing to remove a $2300 clutch without having Sharif prove it....expecially after Carbonetics telling me it will hold

Sharif mentioned all the proven clutches that would hold that kind of power....but I am not willing to spend over $4000 on a clutch that was mainly made for the drag strip.....which as most know...I will not be doing. I am building 2 cars at the same time and this one is already way over budget.

The OS 3 I am told will hold....but if it does not.....I will not change the clutch again because I am quite sure it will hold the power to get me to the speeds I need to get to.
Ahh, I C.. and it makes perfect sense to try and use what you have ... just thought that it was never mentioned.
Thanks for the clarity

Originally Posted by rcdash
This doesn't make sense since nothing has really gone wrong with the build. A clutch not holding is hardly surprising (and as per XKR's note above, expected/predicted).

Besides, Sharif is pretty well connected and it's a small industry to boot. Why would you assume he doesn't speak to his colleagues or those he feels have something to contribute? I've watched that man in action and he is on the phone with folks around the country all day long while working. I don't know where he gets all the energy from to do this day in and day out, sometimes 7 days a week!
Actually, before xkr explained it.. my question was quite valid. No need to get defensive.. I wasn't slamming sharif, just wondering what was up.
Thats all.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:53 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

New clutch is in gentlemen. Mike and I went into this knowing that the clutch would probably not hold the power for long. But we didn't want to sacrafice a $2500 clutch, and driveability unless absolutely necessary. I've made bigger numbers with this clutch, but with a completely different power curve, and much less of an extreme trq ramp up.

Quick Reply: XKR Super G... Going for Mach 1