Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

XKR Super G... Going for Mach 1

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 06:45 AM
Russ@Z1

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tig488
if you have a spot for me to sleep and a seat for me to ride in, im there. ill donate some funds.
Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
fixed..
Originally Posted by tig488
^that too.

Haha, got you covered.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:59 AM
XKR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sharif said I should pick up another ,00010 whp with the polishing,

Old 01-27-2010, 07:51 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by ttg35fort
Hi Crom,

I have a rough design for the entire underbody, along with a few rear bumper/diffuser concepts. If you remember, none of the 3D G35 models we downloaded from the various Internet resources would properly import into either of the 3D modelling programs I tried. I ended up purchasing Alibre. I figure I can work on it here and there. But as you will appreciate, it is going to take alot of time, especially considering all of my CAD experience is in 2D. So in addition to the normal time it would take, tack onto that the learning curve for Alibre. Finally, there is not much I can do on the model without having my car there to take measurements as I need them. I'll get started on the model after I get my car back.

The other alternative is to just go ahead and give the design to a fabricator and have him make it and install it on Mike's car, and then test it in a wind tunnel. Mike and I discussed doing that, but that is up to him.
After ZdayZ....I am down for that....I will leave the car on the eastcoast ...

Last edited by XKR; 01-27-2010 at 07:53 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:10 AM
GreenGoblin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Terry,
do you have the files you downloaded I might be able to convert them into something useable for you.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:57 AM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I think a simple design like this pic will do the trick:

Old 01-27-2010, 11:04 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom

That's badass.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:09 AM
godzilla619

Originally Posted by ttg35fort
Hi Crom,

I have a rough design for the entire underbody, along with a few rear bumper/diffuser concepts. If you remember, none of the 3D G35 models we downloaded from the various Internet resources would properly import into either of the 3D modelling programs I tried. I ended up purchasing Alibre. I figure I can work on it here and there. But as you will appreciate, it is going to take alot of time, especially considering all of my CAD experience is in 2D. So in addition to the normal time it would take, tack onto that the learning curve for Alibre. Finally, there is not much I can do on the model without having my car there to take measurements as I need them. I'll get started on the model after I get my car back.

The other alternative is to just go ahead and give the design to a fabricator and have him make it and install it on Mike's car, and then test it in a wind tunnel. Mike and I discussed doing that, but that is up to him.
Have you tried 3d studio Max? It will direclty export to stl file which most 3d printer machines can print from.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:11 AM
CrazyVQ35tt

ZDayz sounds very interesting..... What's the deal with the runway racing is its side by side and how long is the runway?
Old 01-27-2010, 11:32 AM
Boostedtrack350

Originally Posted by CrazyVQ35tt
ZDayz sounds very interesting..... What's the deal with the runway racing is its side by side and how long is the runway?
Yes it's side by side racing and I think last year it was a 4,000 foot runway.

Search "forged Performance Top Dawg Airstrip Event"
Old 01-28-2010, 06:59 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by godzilla619
Have you tried 3d studio Max? It will direclty export to stl file which most 3d printer machines can print from.
The fluid flow modelling software (Symscape) requires STEP (.stp) or IGES (.igs) files. The G35 STEP files I downloaded from the Internet sites were not adequate. Apparently, they were designed so that they look nice, but there were two many errors in them to import into Symscape. IGES file formats were not available.

One of the websites had an option to convert the files into a number of different file formats, so I did so and tried to import each of these into both Alibre and SpaceClaim (engineering level 3D modeling software), hoping I would be able to then convert them into a STEP file that would work with Symscape. However, none of these files would even properly import into Alibre or SpaceClaim.

If you have 3D studio max and would like to see if any of these files will import into that, PM me your e-mail address and I will send them to you. It would be great if you could get them to import and then export them into a STEP file I can work with.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:11 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by GreenGoblin
Terry,
do you have the files you downloaded I might be able to convert them into something useable for you.
Thank you, Danny. I just e-mailed the files to you. If you can get one of them to convert to a STEP file that will properly import into Alibre, that would be great!!! Once I have it in Alibre, I can add the underbody components onto it, re-export it, then give Symscape a try.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:12 AM
AznSky

I think Catia can open .stp files.

I can try to see if they have catia on campus and try to import/export for you.

I'd do it at work but that's against the rules
Old 01-29-2010, 06:11 AM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I know i already said this but, have you asked Five Axis if they have a 3d model/do a 3d model of a G35?
Old 01-29-2010, 06:47 AM
GreenGoblin

Terry, I got you email I will send you a couple new files in a bit here.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:13 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by Vq.turbo.DremZ
I know i already said this but, have you asked Five Axis if they have a 3d model/do a 3d model of a G35?
There are a number of Five Axis links via Google. If I remember correctly, I pursuid the one that looked most promising, but didn't get anywhere as far as getting a proper 3D model of the G35 that would work for our purposes. If I missed something, please let me know.

When I try to import the files that I have into Alibre, the “points” menu item in the side tool bar is crossed out, which may indicate that the original designer did not precisely connect the points, but merely eye-balled it. What we need is a precise model of the G35 that is compatible with 3D engineering programs and, in particular, Alibre since that is the one I ended up purchasing.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:05 PM
thom000001

Mike give it up....we know you sold the G to get a nissan Cube!!!!!!

tom
Old 01-29-2010, 05:36 PM
Crom

Originally Posted by godzilla619
Thats what I use... the issue is that the G35 model provided has to be built w/ no open verts or double edges, otherwise it will not export properly. All or / or most of the g models out there via T-squid or other model libraries are not built this way since they are mostly shoddy game meshes... A new g35 model will have to be created the proper way using the original for nothing else other than a guide. Terry could import the diffuser I created but not the G itself... It will have to be re-created. Regardless,.. when entering into this realm of product development, as far as stress testing and data analysis, its not just a matter of "making a model". Millions of dollars go into product development of this nature, down from professionally creating the model via CAD/CAM software ala solidworks/ solid edge/ Catia/ ects. then exporting it along w/ all the supporting modules to analysis software ala Pro-E...w/ neglegible tolerances. - If anything is not built to spec, the testing will fail... I suppose you could import generic shapes for simple flow observation, but personally, if XKR is traveling 200mph, I would not want anything I export out of entertainment software and / or something that has not gone through the proper channels to be responsible if anything should go wrong.... I would just take the car to a fab shop that has professional exterior aero knowledge and bang it out what ever makes sense... then do iterative runs at incremental speeds to make sure everything is fine.... G/L. and be safe.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:45 PM
XKR

Originally Posted by thom000001
Mike give it up....we know you sold the G to get a nissan Cube!!!!!!

tom
................Correction....Nissan Cube TT
Old 01-29-2010, 05:50 PM
XKR

Originally Posted by Crom
Thats what I use... the issue is that the G35 model provided has to be built w/ no open verts or double edges, otherwise it will not export properly. All or / or most of the g models out there via T-squid or other model libraries are not built this way since they are mostly shoddy game meshes... A new g35 model will have to be created the proper way using the original for nothing else other than a guide. Terry could import the diffuser I created but not the G itself... It will have to be re-created. Regardless,.. when entering into this realm of product development, as far as stress testing and data analysis, its not just a matter of "making a model". Millions of dollars go into product development of this nature, down from professionally creating the model via CAD/CAM software ala solidworks/ solid edge/ Catia/ ects. then exporting it along w/ all the supporting modules to analysis software ala Pro-E...w/ neglegible tolerances. - If anything is not built to spec, the testing will fail... I suppose you could import generic shapes for simple flow observation, but personally, if XKR is traveling 200mph, I would not want anything I export out of entertainment software and / or something that has not gone through the proper channels to be responsible if anything should go wrong.... I would just take the car to a fab shop that has professional exterior aero knowledge and bang it out what ever makes sense... then do iterative runs at incremental speeds to make sure everything is fine.... G/L. and be safe.

That is the plan Crom....If the computer program wont work....we will get a Fab guy to build it.... Thanks for the input
Old 01-29-2010, 06:28 PM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Crom
Should of thought of that before you worked on the 2012, I want my $14 back.

Quick Reply: XKR Super G... Going for Mach 1