Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

XKR Super G... Going for Mach 1

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 06:30 PM
XKR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 35Z
Did you ever test the diffuser in a wind tunnel and/or track-tested?
Not yet....he just recieved it...
Old 05-07-2009, 08:20 PM
Gdood9

Schweet, I'm so glad this is being done...I can't wait for everything to be tested and ready to go. If this works out I already have cash ready to go!
Old 05-07-2009, 09:15 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pictures of a test fit already everyone wants to see this bad boy
Old 05-07-2009, 10:59 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, here are the pics:

A couple of notes:

The quality of the MasterGrades rear diffuser appears very good and it includes the side vortex generators, which is cool. Also, the sides of the center air channel curve out, which should help to provide a nice transition to slow the velocity of the air coming from underneath the vehicles.

The height difference between the center channel and the left and right sides is about 5". To opine as to weather this is adequate would be mere speculation at this point, but it might be.

Also, we definitely will need to add some vanes (probably 2 or 3) to better control the vorticies.

The depth from front to rear measured in the middle of the center portion is 21". As Eric noted, we will need to extend the depth of it so that it extends further under the car. Eric said that this would not be difficult to do.

The next step is to determine whether it would be prudent to modify the center portion of the CS style rear bumper to allow the center portion to tuck up higher under the bumper. This could help to improve performance by allowing a more optimal angle between the rear diffuser and the ground. I'll take the diffuser to my body shop, have them mount the rear bumper and the diffuser, and then take a look at it.

After that, I'll speak with Eric to determine the next step for extending the depth of the diffuser and any other modifications we want to make.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:01 AM
XKR

Looks good Terry
Old 05-08-2009, 05:12 AM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

Cant wait to see it!! Suscribing for the end result
Old 05-08-2009, 05:42 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by XKR
Looks good Terry
Did you play with the file I sent?

Just use the one from the very last e-mail. It has a few different tools in it.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:22 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by ttg35fort
Did you play with the file I sent?

Just use the one from the very last e-mail. It has a few different tools in it.
I am going to have to try it at my office......I dont think my home puter has that program.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:48 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by XKR
I am going to have to try it at my office......I dont think my home puter has that program.
I just sent you yet another e-mail with another update (every time I look at it I want to tweek it a little more).

Anyway, just delete all of the e-mails except for the very last one I sent this morning at 10:19 A.M.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:09 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Update:

I just spoke with my body shop, Wellington Auto Collision. They are going to put on my CS style rear bumper next week (they will try for Monday, but it may slip to later in the week). After they have that on, I'll take the rear diffuser to see whether we will want to make any modifications to the bumper.

I'll snap some pictures. The rear bumper won't be modified or painted yet, but it will give an idea of how it will look.

I want to thank Eric (EricisKlumzyee) for working on this project with us. Even though he was out of the country and not able to respond to us for a couple of weeks, the diffuser shipped out on April 30 and arrived yesterday in good condition.

Mike and I were sweating it, though, Mike probably more so than I.

GreenGoblin, PM me your telephone number. I'll give you a call after the bumper is on to let you know when I am headed over there. It will be nice to get your opinion too on this.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:40 AM
psychoballistic

wow just read through all of this.... absolutely insane build, can't wait till it's all said and done. ENJOY!!!
Old 05-08-2009, 09:59 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Rather than extending the main rear diffuser, you could try to identify where the lift points are underneath the car and address those in an ad hoc fashion with strategically placed smaller pieces, similar to the optional aero kits that were available for the early model Gs.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:03 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by rcdash
Rather than extending the main rear diffuser, you could try to identify where the lift points are underneath the car and address those in an ad hoc fashion with strategically placed smaller pieces, similar to the optional aero kits that were available for the early model Gs.
We were planning on adding additional underbody panels, but Mike was concerned about ensuring that the diffuser extends to the bracket that runs across the rear of the G's. That will make a good location to secure the diffuser. We'll see if it extends that far or if there is another suitable way to secure it so that it doesn't flop around when Mike is running at 200+ mph in the Silver State Classic.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:46 AM
XKR

Update:

I just spoke with my body shop, Wellington Auto Collision. They are going to put on my CS style rear bumper next week (they will try for Monday, but it may slip to later in the week). After they have that on, I'll take the rear diffuser to see whether we will want to make any modifications to the bumper.

I'll snap some pictures. The rear bumper won't be modified or painted yet, but it will give an idea of how it will look.

I want to thank Eric (EricisKlumzyee) for working on this project with us. Even though he was out of the country and not able to respond to us for a couple of weeks, the diffuser shipped out on April 30 and arrived yesterday in good condition.

Mike and I were sweating it, though, Mike probably more so than I.

GreenGoblin, PM me your telephone number. I'll give you a call after the bumper is on to let you know when I am headed over there. It will be nice to get your opinion too on this.

Sweating is not the word I would use....It would have mess this up for sure

We were planning on adding additional underbody panels, but Mike was concerned about ensuring that the diffuser extends to the bracket that runs across the rear of the G's. That will make a good location to secure the diffuser. We'll see if it extends that far or if there is another suitable way to secure it so that it doesn't flop around when Mike is running at 200+ mph in the Silver State Classic.

Thats the area that I meant to say when I spoke to you.

Last edited by XKR; 05-08-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:52 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Gotcha. Thanks for doing all the legwork guys. I hope Eric can come up with a solid part that safely minimizes underbody lift.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:22 AM
SmallTuner

i need one of those
Old 05-11-2009, 03:26 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Here is an actual picture of the MasterGrades TS Style rear diffuser mounted on a car with a stock bumper:

Here is a pic of the diffuser:

Here is an actual picture of the CS Style rear bumper.

Here is a car with the CS Style Rear Bumper:

Here is how I thinking about modifying the CS style rear bumper to work with the diffuser to allow center part of the diffuser to tuck up into the bumper after the bumper is modified.:

IMO, assuming we can make everything fit together properly, the diffuser will look FAR better with the CS Style rear bumper than with the stock bumper.

Wellington Auto Collision is going to try to get my CS Style rear bumper mounted tomorrow. I'll take the diffuser over there and see how well it will work with the bumper and whether we will need to have Eric modify it to extend further under the car.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 05-11-2009 at 04:24 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:56 AM
Glex25

What Exhaust you guys running?

My biggest beef with the Mastergrade TS diffuser is that in their pics the exhaust can is skinnier than what most of us that are Fi are running.

I think I can safely say most of us that are Fi are running the Evo TT exhaust and the can is huge. I questioned Mastergrade on this and their response was "Oh well your just going to have to hack it" instead of offering some kind of spacer or alternative solution.

Hopefully you guys come through with this and the additional parts for the underbelly.
Once everything has been resolved I will definitely be interested in a GB or will contact Eric.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:26 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

^^^^^^

I also have an Evo TT Exhaust.

XKR has a 3" exhaust, but I don't remember which one.

The canisters on the Greddy Evo TT are offset to tuck up under the car. Below is a picture of mine. I'll measure how far they hang down and how far in toward the center they protrude.

EDIT: My exhaust isn't on right now, but I have taken some measurements from the picture of the underside of my car. I think the Greddy Evo TT canistors may just fit, but it is close.

The diffuser definitely will need to be modified to extend much further under the car. The closest structure to the rear of the car that we can attach to is the GTSpec rear tie brace, and to get to that we need to make sure we clear the rear suspension components.

I'll see what else needs to be modified and get with Eric. I have been studying these pictures. If we extend the diffuser and attach it to the rear tie brace, it will put the diffuser on an angle. That may give us enough clearence to clear the Evo TT mufflers. If not, this setup may be limited to APS or similar sized mufflers. I'll ask Eric if he is interested in making a custom diffuser that will be more universally applicable and which extends to the rear tie brace.

Eric better give me mine for free (or in exchange for the MasterGrade), though, since I already paid for the MasterGrade and I am doing all the engineering on it. I think he'll be able to sell the **** out of the diffuser once we have the design worked out.

We'll probably need to get a custom rear tie brace made that gives us a linear surface to attach to.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 05-11-2009 at 08:08 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:44 AM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Im pretty sure he has the 3" APS.

Quick Reply: XKR Super G... Going for Mach 1