Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

XKR Super G... Going for Mach 1

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 08:25 PM
XKR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Klumzyee
you guys can make the undertray outta wood (yes wood..) since its cheaper, easy to cut and reglue etc..

to get a general idea before finalizing with any expensive material..

TS Diffuser = $$$$$

Pile of wood and epoxy = $$
I though of you when I first planned this....but when rudeG posted the pic of TS Diffuser that his already been tested...I felt this why we could have the car ready faster this way....You do great work BTW.

Originally Posted by UpRev
Well if you come out here let us know. We're going to head to Texas Mile this year with BoostLogic and SW's crew.
Could you please post the dates you plan on being there....I would happy to come hang out with you guys.

Originally Posted by JAM3Z
I'll be completely honest: This whole idea sounded kind of far fetched at the beginning, but its great to see this actually coming together. Considering the people involved, perhaps I should have known better.
James James James....Shame on you...

Last edited by XKR; 02-18-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:37 PM
UpRev
Banned

http://www.texasmile.net/

NEXT EVENTS ARE MARCH 27-29, AND OCT 17-18 2009.

We're heading out with our customer Tom. He has a blue 350 with a Greddy TT kit. As a matter of fact I need to get the car in here shortly and start finishing the prep for it.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:44 PM
thom000001

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just as a texas mile nugget...can't swing march (fricken work) but planning on the oct event....see what this ole pig has in it in the mile......

t

We're heading out with our customer Tom. He has a blue 350 with a Greddy TT kit. As a matter of fact I need to get the car in here shortly and start finishing the prep for it.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:12 PM
Klumzyee

Originally Posted by XKR
I though of you when I first planned this....but when rudeG posted the pic of TS Diffuser that his already been tested...I felt this why we could have the car ready faster this way....You do great work BTW.
Thanks, would we be able to just eye it from pictures? it doesnt need to be exact.. diffusers with the same general design should all function the same no? wouldnt a cheaper alternative be something like the mastergrade rear TS diffuser.. granted that was a copy of the Z diffuser modfied to put on to a G.. we can probably purchase 2-3 of their diffuser versus one TS diffuser..

isnt the TS diffuser made to go with the widebody G? I remember someone putting it on their G back in 05 and it took a hell of a lot of work (this was making it fit to a Kenstyle Rear)

Originally Posted by ttg35fort
Eric, do you mean using a balsa wood core sandwidched between carbon fiber (e.g., a la Corvette)? Just not sure from your response. Please let us know what you mean. Keep in mind we want to add a minimal amount of weight to the cars, but I don't mind adding 3 or 4 extra lbs. if it will save us 30% in fabrication costs.
If you just do a regular sheet of carbon with no curvature its very weak in structure... you'll need a lot of rivets or mounting points to keep the thing from flapping around or flying off when driving at close to 200mph (i would assume) seeing how the "exotics" under panels all have some kinda core I'd assume they have this for a reason...

another alternative (I gotta check the under body of a G again).. those with the GTSPEC or TANABE under body brace knows that it becomes a scratch post.. having an additional 1" below the exhaust wouldnt be too daily friendly since a lot of the G Z guys (including myself sometimes) scrape the mid pipe =\ or cats.. you can partially cover the bottom similar to the picture of the GTR underbody.. would making panels to cover the left and right side with a rear diffuser achieve the same results?

Last edited by Klumzyee; 02-19-2009 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:25 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you just do a regular sheet of carbon with no curvature its very weak in structure... you'll need a lot of rivets or mounting points to keep the thing from flapping around or flying off when driving at close to 200mph (i would assume) seeing how the "exotics" under panels all have some kinda core I'd assume they have this for a reason...

another alternative (I gotta check the under body of a G again).. those with the GTSPEC or TANABE under body brace knows that it becomes a scratch post.. having an additional 1" below the exhaust wouldnt be too daily friendly since a lot of the G Z guys (including myself sometimes) scrape the mid pipe =\ or cats.. you can partially cover the bottom similar to the picture of the GTR underbody.. would making panels to cover the left and right side with a rear diffuser achieve the same results?
Based on XKR's experiences, we will probably eliminate the GTSPEC chassis brace.

At this point we do not know whether a partial cover of the underbody will be sufficient...

Perhaps we can use a complete underpanel in the middle of the car and put an aluminum plate over the area that usually scrapes??? I don't know, but I am throwing that out for discussion purposes.

To me, the most important considerations are the front undertray/diffuser and the rear diffuser. In the worst case scenario we can use an aluminum plate in the middle section of the cars, though we do want to keep the weight minimal.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:32 PM
Klumzyee

i'll give you an example in terms of strength.. *brb with iphone pix haha
Old 02-19-2009, 01:34 PM
Philthy
Boost Junkie

SWEETNESS - Good Luck!
Old 02-19-2009, 01:40 PM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Philthy
SWEETNESS - Good Luck!
Glad to see you are back Dr. Phil, we missed you!

Hope all is well,

-George
GT Motorsports
Old 02-19-2009, 03:59 PM
Philthy
Boost Junkie

Originally Posted by George@GTM
Glad to see you are back Dr. Phil, we missed you!

Hope all is well,

-George
GT Motorsports
Thank you sir, it's nice to be missed Give my best to Sam!
Old 02-19-2009, 06:11 PM
Klumzyee

okey i cant find the carbon piece hahaha i'll dig it up later =P
Old 02-19-2009, 06:36 PM
XKR

I thought it was in the summer..&^%$#$.....I will be there for sure in OCT.....It would be a good high speed test....I will see if I can get TTg35fort and the gang to use this as a test day....

Thanks, would we be able to just eye it from pictures? it doesnt need to be exact.. diffusers with the same general design should all function the same no? wouldnt a cheaper alternative be something like the mastergrade rear TS diffuser.. granted that was a copy of the Z diffuser modfied to put on to a G.. we can probably purchase 2-3 of their diffuser versus one TS diffuser..

isnt the TS diffuser made to go with the widebody G? I remember someone putting it on their G back in 05 and it took a hell of a lot of work (this was making it fit to a Kenstyle Rear)

Whats worst than having not enough down force??? Having something braking off at high speed and losing part or all of your downforce.....I would lift off like an airplane I would love to work with you on this....I will let TTg35fort direct this project....he has the background that I am lacking.

Last edited by XKR; 02-19-2009 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:46 PM
XKR

Based on XKR's experiences, we will probably eliminate the GTSPEC chassis brace.

At this point we do not know whether a partial cover of the underbody will be sufficient...

Perhaps we can use a complete underpanel in the middle of the car and put an aluminum plate over the area that usually scrapes??? I don't know, but I am throwing that out for discussion purposes.

To me, the most important considerations are the front undertray/diffuser and the rear diffuser. In the worst case scenario we can use an aluminum plate in the middle section of the cars, though we do want to keep the weight minimal.
I agree
Old 02-19-2009, 06:57 PM
XKR

BTW...just a little OT....It would good to see the gang back together ..even though it was short...We even got a visit from Dr Phil
Old 02-19-2009, 07:11 PM
zxman69

TTg35fort, since you are already talking to the guys at Bulletproof you might ask them about the rear diffuser from First Molding. I know it for the Z but you guys seem to have the know how to make things work.
http://www.bulletproofautomotive.com...il.php?ID=6331
Old 02-19-2009, 07:28 PM
XKR

Originally Posted by zxman69
TTg35fort, since you are already talking to the guys at Bulletproof you might ask them about the rear diffuser from First Molding. I know it for the Z but you guys seem to have the know how to make things work.
http://www.bulletproofautomotive.com...il.php?ID=6331
Thats a clean diffuser
Old 02-19-2009, 10:13 PM
Klumzyee

hmm I can do it actually I've thought about doing it for a long time with my car.

Problem:
1. Adding 1" to the whole bottom of the car.. ehh guys that scrape now will eat complete ****.. while the carbon will take a beating you're more worried about the mounting points and brackets
2. Rear bumper Kenstyle Rear, Chargespeed Rear, OEM Rear, IMpul Rear, Veilside Lip, while I have access to ALL these kits (obviously) theres too big of an extreme between something like the Chargespeed Rear and the OEM, a design similar to TS might get us around this problem but at the end of the day this is going to be one low diffuser
3. Method of mounting, while you can make the carbon millimeters thin the carbon, once again, will loose its structural strength without a curvature.. this will require more rivets or bolts/mounting points. It'll also make it pretty costly if you ever hit the middle of the car over a speed bump or something

But I dont think we're going to need to cover the ENTIRE bottom of the G I think partially covering certain areas will result almost the same as covering the entire underbody. IMO we would only need to do the two sides and we can leave the area where the driveshaft runs (along with the mid pipe) exposed... and maybe even be able to leave the trans area. Trans will need to be cooled and servicing the trans is going to be PITA if you have to drop that panel everytime.. The CATs are also there (common scrapping spot)... if the front under tray, again problem with the many different style of bumpers and lips, was designed well with a removable splitter working with a diffuser that starts axle back (now the spring cups will get in the way) should do the trick.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:57 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Klumzyee, you make some good points. Leaving the center section open allows for better exhaust, transmission, and rear differential cooling. That air flowing through that center section could be accomodated in the design of the rear diffuser, the way it does in the GTR. I hope you come up with something for the masses. I would rather have something in ABS plastic than either carbon fiber or aluminum, so that if (when) it starts getting worse for wear, it's not such a big deal to just replace it.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:20 AM
XKR

hmm I can do it actually I've thought about doing it for a long time with my car.

Problem:
1. Adding 1" to the whole bottom of the car.. ehh guys that scrape now will eat complete ****.. while the carbon will take a beating you're more worried about the mounting points and brackets
2. Rear bumper Kenstyle Rear, Chargespeed Rear, OEM Rear, IMpul Rear, Veilside Lip, while I have access to ALL these kits (obviously) theres too big of an extreme between something like the Chargespeed Rear and the OEM, a design similar to TS might get us around this problem but at the end of the day this is going to be one low diffuser
3. Method of mounting, while you can make the carbon millimeters thin the carbon, once again, will loose its structural strength without a curvature.. this will require more rivets or bolts/mounting points. It'll also make it pretty costly if you ever hit the middle of the car over a speed bump or something

But I dont think we're going to need to cover the ENTIRE bottom of the G I think partially covering certain areas will result almost the same as covering the entire underbody. IMO we would only need to do the two sides and we can leave the area where the driveshaft runs (along with the mid pipe) exposed... and maybe even be able to leave the trans area. Trans will need to be cooled and servicing the trans is going to be PITA if you have to drop that panel everytime.. The CATs are also there (common scrapping spot)... if the front under tray, again problem with the many different style of bumpers and lips, was designed well with a removable splitter working with a diffuser that starts axle back (now the spring cups will get in the way) should do the trick.
Eric...I also agree with what you have said. If you read one of my earlier post you will see that I mention that a pro in racing had mentioned that the center of this platform does not need a center piece.

We will be happy to work with you....you have alway done good work and you have taken care of me in the past..
Old 02-20-2009, 07:49 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Problem:

I don't think any of us are using CATs.

How about sandwiching a balsa wood core between two layers of carbon fiber? Of course, the ends would have to be sealed to keep the balsa from getting water logged.

Assuming we go with Carbon Fiber, I will be attaching an aluminum skid plate in the area where my car is prone to scraping.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 02-20-2009 at 08:35 AM.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:53 AM
thom000001

CATs??? Are dem those tings that help the ozone's????? Mine are in a pile somewhere

tom

I don't think any of us are using CATs.

Quick Reply: XKR Super G... Going for Mach 1