Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

XKR Super G... Going for Mach 1

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 02:51 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazyVQ35tt
- Pauter Rods
- JE Forged Pistons with ceramic coating 95.5mm bore
- L19 head studs
- JWT Cams
- JWT HD Valve Springs
- Cosworth Head Gaskets
- TDO5-18G Twin Turbo
- Custom 4'' Front Mount Intercooler
- RC 750cc Injectors
- Custom 3'' down pipes
- APS 3'' dual exhaust
- Custom intake Plenum
here is some of the engine build and I'm running the F-CON V-PRO

Everything looks good except for the Cometic head gaskets. Cometic head gaskets fail all of the time. Go here for some background:

http://g35driver.com/forums/forced-i...eadgasket.html

JTrain's Cometics failed after 2200 miles, and he wasn't even pushing them that hard.

Better yet, search this forum for "Cometic" and the terms "fail" or "problem".

Go with HKS or HR headgaskets. The HKS are more expensive, but have proven themselves over, and over, and over. The HR headgaskets are about 1/2 the price of Cometics, but are still way better. They have not proven themselves like the HKS head gaskets, so time will tell. Nonetheless, they are proving to hold up better than the Cometics.

If you want to venture into the 800+ hp range, the Cometic headgaskets likely will be your first failure, assuming everything is built and tuned properly. Right now the safe bet is HKS head gaskets. An extra $200 is miniscule in comparison to the total money you will have into this build, and is a very good insurance policy.

If you already have the Cometics installed, good luck, but don't try to push anywhere near 800 whp. That is a disaster waiting to happen.

Last thing, 800 whp is pushing it for 750cc injectors.

Also, some people like RC's, some don't. If everything is smooth once you fire it up and get it tuned, you should be fine for the long term as far as the RC injectors go. When there is a problem, it is usually when they are right out of the box.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 09-16-2009 at 03:03 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:55 PM
CrazyVQ35tt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cosworth Head Gaskets are Cometic head gasket? I will check out this thread
Old 09-16-2009, 03:09 PM
XKR

Originally Posted by str8dum1
^ your turbos are WAY smaller than than ones use on XKR's car to make 800 DJ, and you dont have enough fuel to make much past 600 anyhow.

Well kinda....

not the greatest leakdown and a new core was actually used because of a slight taper in the cylinders.

But now, all like new for a great price.
Hmmm...Sharif did not tell me that....I know about the leak down...thats why he did the tear down....but he said nothing was damaged...
Old 09-16-2009, 03:11 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Cosworth Head Gaskets are Cometic head gasket? I will check out this thread
Yes, the Cosworth head gaskets are Cometics. Just because they have Cosworth stamped on them does not make them any better. I don't work for Cosworth, so I can't speak for them, but I imagine that they use the Cometic head gaskets because they can buy them cheap, stamp their name on them, and then sell them at a huge markup. For naturally aspirated builds, they are probably fine. However, their failure rate on turbo builds far exceeds the failure rate of the HKS head gaskets.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:18 PM
CrazyVQ35tt

Are you Fing!!!!!! kiddingly I did some research before I bought these head gaskets and was told Cosworth used to build F1 motor's and wouldn't put out a product without testing it and there are a good company to go with, how did you find out they are Cometics.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:29 PM
CrazyVQ35tt

I just called them and the teck told me that they are definitely not made by Cometics
Old 09-16-2009, 03:41 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just called them and the teck told me that they are definitely not made by Cometics
All of the research I have done leads me to believe that cosworth are in fact made by cometic. here is a link to COSWORTH HG and the description even says cometic in it. Unless its different for the smaller bore engines all research i have done is only for 100mm bore.

http://www.titanmotorsports.com/cohe...hannelid=FROOG

Last edited by Sylvan Lake V35; 09-16-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:00 PM
GreenGoblin

Crazy Mike unfortunately I have seen the something in my research, that the cosworth are manufactured by cometic. They are just restamped wtih the cosworth logo.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:06 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Are you Fing!!!!!! kiddingly I did some research before I bought these head gaskets and was told Cosworth used to build F1 motor's and wouldn't put out a product without testing it and there are a good company to go with, how did you find out they are Cometics.
Do youself a favor. Use the search feature of this forum and compare the failure rates of Cometic head gaskets to HKS headgaskits in F/I MOTORS.
I don't know whether Cosworth is using Cometic head gaskets accross the board, but it is apparent that they are taking at least some Cometic head gaskets for VQ motors and stamping their name on them. Are you talking to an Engineer who knows the VQ motor, or a sales person who spouts the company line he heard in some rah, rah meeting?

You can follow the advice or not. It's your build, your money at risk, and your choice.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 09-16-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:15 PM
CrazyVQ35tt

I would love to find out the truth before I have a problem next week please let me know where you guys heard this information because I would love to call the tech back. The tech told me that they designed the gaskets in house and have a company make them. There gaskets are stamped and have a stopper flange and the cometic are laser cut and that makes the edge rough that's why they fail
Old 09-16-2009, 04:16 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ya no biggie. I guess all cylinder walls get a lil tapered from the rings. He might not have wanted to wait for the machine shop to rebore when he had new cores sitting around. I assume he at least honed the new core to match the new rings.

Either way, its an all buttoned up motor with no mechanical aspects for me to tamper with perfect.

but back to the show.... dyno break in must be any day now. how exciting!

Originally Posted by XKR
Hmmm...Sharif did not tell me that....I know about the leak down...thats why he did the tear down....but he said nothing was damaged...
Old 09-16-2009, 04:18 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

I would love to find out the truth before I have a problem next week please let me know where you guys heard this information because I would love to call the tech back. The tech told me that they designed the gaskets in house and have a company make them. There gaskets are stamped and have a stopper flange and the cometic are laser cut and that makes the edge rough that's why they fail
Did you check out the link that Sylvan Lake provided???
Old 09-16-2009, 04:21 PM
CrazyVQ35tt

Originally Posted by ttg35fort
Do youself a favor. Use the search feature of this forum and compare the failure rates of Cometic head gaskets to HKS headgaskits in F/I MOTORS.
I don't know whether Cosworth is using Cometic head gaskets accross the board, but it is apparent that they are taking at least some Cometic head gaskets for VQ motors and stamping their name on them. Are you talking to an Engineer who knows the VQ motor, or a sales person who spouts the company line he heard in some rah, rah meeting?

You can follow the advice or not. It's your build, your money at risk, and your choice.
Thanks for the input but it's too late the car is done. I would of never took the chance I would've just got HKS. I need to get on here more!!!!
Old 09-16-2009, 04:23 PM
XKR

Ya no biggie. I guess all cylinder walls get a lil tapered from the rings. He might not have wanted to wait for the machine shop to rebore when he had new cores sitting around. I assume he at least honed the new core to match the new rings.

Either way, its an all buttoned up motor with no mechanical aspects for me to tamper with perfect.

but back to the show.... dyno break in must be any day now. how exciting!
Yeah....Its Kool.....I guess he did not want to have to explain the whole thing to me.....he just said everything looksgood or you are good to go.

Any day now.....I guess I asked FP to send me more pic...will post them soon.

When is your motor going in??

Last edited by XKR; 09-16-2009 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:31 PM
CrazyVQ35tt

XKR do you have any pic of the underbody
Old 09-16-2009, 05:10 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Thanks for the input but it's too late the car is done. I would of never took the chance I would've just got HKS. I need to get on here more!!!!
When you have it running, please start a thread to share your experiences with the community.

Since it is already built, at this point don't worry about the head gaskets. That won't accomplish anything. Sometimes, Cometic head gaskets do hold up. Perhaps they are more sensitive than HKS's to installation. I don't know. Hopefully you will be one of those people that don't have any problems with them.

I know the question was directed to Mike, but I am confident in saying that the underbody design is still in R&D.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:00 PM
thom000001

not entirely true....but not exactly what you'd want.

again back to sp, did like 750rwhp at 18psi (that would be pumpgas land) but was up at almost 9krpm and w/ charles plenum

tom

Originally Posted by XKR
With the 3.5L...it did the 800 using C16....You wont see any 3.5L VQ running anything near 800whp on pump gas.....Hope this helps.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:18 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

at only 500 hp, you def has A LOT of room to grow. definitely didnt need 20g and more lag (is 15psi at 4250 pretty average for gt28 sized turbos) to make that kinda power. Ramp those suckers up!
I have 503whp on Sharif power robbing dyno.. Not trying to turn it up until I have a backup build.. (not worth the headache right now) Its just not smart and im not in a hurry to do that until I complete my exterior....

Originally Posted by ttg35fort
Everything looks good except for the Cometic head gaskets. Cometic head gaskets fail all of the time. Go here for some background:

http://g35driver.com/forums/forced-i...eadgasket.html

JTrain's Cometics failed after 2200 miles, and he wasn't even pushing them that hard.

Better yet, search this forum for "Cometic" and the terms "fail" or "problem".

Go with HKS or HR headgaskets. The HKS are more expensive, but have proven themselves over, and over, and over. The HR headgaskets are about 1/2 the price of Cometics, but are still way better. They have not proven themselves like the HKS head gaskets, so time will tell. Nonetheless, they are proving to hold up better than the Cometics.

If you want to venture into the 800+ hp range, the Cometic headgaskets likely will be your first failure, assuming everything is built and tuned properly. Right now the safe bet is HKS head gaskets. An extra $200 is miniscule in comparison to the total money you will have into this build, and is a very good insurance policy.

If you already have the Cometics installed, good luck, but don't try to push anywhere near 800 whp. That is a disaster waiting to happen.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:12 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

backup build? isnt your motor built already? it must be if its a 2004. Sharif felt like your build was unsafe at over 500 hp?

Originally Posted by Jay'Z
I have 503whp on Sharif power robbing dyno.. Not trying to turn it up until I have a backup build.. (not worth the headache right now) Its just not smart and im not in a hurry to do that until I complete my exterior....

Last edited by str8dum1; 09-17-2009 at 07:14 AM.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:48 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

backup build? isnt your motor built already? it must be if its a 2004. Sharif felt like your build was unsafe at over 500 hp?
Yes its built.. Doesnt mean its bullet proof...... If it blows wtf i do then?? I told Sharif I only wanted 500whp.. He did exactly that.. Stopped there.. I wanted a safe 500whp..

One thing I have learned in my 6yrs of FI experience is this **** is never predictable..

Last edited by Jay'Z; 09-17-2009 at 09:50 AM.

Quick Reply: XKR Super G... Going for Mach 1