Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Build Ideas Question's---Open for Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 08:14 AM
jdf28045

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Build Ideas Question's---Open for Ideas

What I have:

I have just started a build. I purchased a long block VQ35DE revup (oil eater) motor form someone on the forum and am looking for ideas and advice from some of you who have gone this route. I have a 05z with the non revup motor. I do not have the ems form the rev up motor. This is the direction I am heading, I have the block torn down and did a visual inspection on the motor, and the only 2 plugs that had any oil burn on the spark plugs were the center two pistons. When I pulled the pistons the ring gaps were at about 90 Deg from each other. I have sent the block and heads out to be cleaned and gone over by a motor shop. If everything is good they are going to bore to .02 over and that is where the fun begins.

What I want:

I am leaning towards a JWT TT Kit. My soft goal is to get to 500 rwhp. (Soft goal is 500 or as high as I can get it and keep it street able currently I am looking at Eagle rods and CP pistons. Keeping stock crank. I have not decided on head work or cams. Do not want to have issues with stalling. Looking at get a standalone ems system, was looking at aem but they do not have a PnP for 350z yet. Looking to use all arp studs on the head and looking into studs for the mains.

Questions I have:

Do you guys think that these pistons and rods will hold the power I am looking for?

Does anyone know how well the JWT piggy back EMS performs? Any recommendations?

Does anyone know what the breaking point of the stock Crank is?

Dose any on make anything that will allow me to use the nonrevup ecu with the revup motor? Or will I have to get an ecu for that motor?

Read that some people in here said that they regretted using arp studs never got a reason why, any thoughts?

Any help would be great. Thanks
Old 02-11-2009, 09:35 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by jdf28045
What I have:

I have just started a build. I purchased a long block VQ35DE revup (oil eater) motor form someone on the forum and am looking for ideas and advice from some of you who have gone this route. I have a 05z with the non revup motor. I do not have the ems form the rev up motor. This is the direction I am heading, I have the block torn down and did a visual inspection on the motor, and the only 2 plugs that had any oil burn on the spark plugs were the center two pistons. When I pulled the pistons the ring gaps were at about 90 Deg from each other. I have sent the block and heads out to be cleaned and gone over by a motor shop. If everything is good they are going to bore to .02 over and that is where the fun begins.

What I want:

I am leaning towards a JWT TT Kit. My soft goal is to get to 500 rwhp. (Soft goal is 500 or as high as I can get it and keep it street able currently I am looking at Eagle rods and CP pistons. Keeping stock crank. I have not decided on head work or cams. Do not want to have issues with stalling. Looking at get a standalone ems system, was looking at aem but they do not have a PnP for 350z yet. Looking to use all arp studs on the head and looking into studs for the mains.

Questions I have:

Do you guys think that these pistons and rods will hold the power I am looking for?

Dose any on make anything that will allow me to use the nonrevup ecu with the revup motor? Or will I have to get an ecu for that motor?

Read that some people in here said that they regretted using arp studs never got a reason why, any thoughts?

Any help would be great. Thanks
1) Yes...you will be fine with pistons and rods
2) Get a real EMS if you are running a built setup
3) No....alot of people including me are making over 800 +whp with it.
4)Just get a revup ecu and save yourself the trouble.
5) Give us the names of those who have spoken ill of the mighty ARP and we will punish them
Old 02-11-2009, 09:41 AM
captj3

If you are looking for a ecu I have one from a 05 track that had a rev-up motor. It's just looking for a new home. PM me to discuss price it will be reasonable.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:01 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Eagle rods and CP pistons are an awesome combo - you won't have any problem at your power level.... or a few hundred more hp even

See below.

You won't be anywhere near it... no fear here. If you were on a quest for a four digit horsepower number I would be concerned.

You will need the wiring harness too if you swap ecu's. Otherwise, you can use Haltech Platinum EMS which has quad cam control built in and just run the wires straight to the exhaust cam solenoids and exhaust cam sensors.

Use ARP L19 head studs, they are stock size replacements and work awesome with a proven record. We use them in street applications, and even in our 1200hp drag car.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:01 PM
jdf28045

Thanks for the answeres.

I just got finished reading that you have to have the JWT TT kit installed by one of there guys??? Any one have any more details about this? Sorry but I dont pay for labor to have my car worked on and my mechanic is a Greddy dealer so if this is true I might have to look at another setup.

When asked what he regreted in his build he said
"-Using Standard ARP head Studs" D350Z10

"If you are looking for a ecu I have one from a 05 track that had a rev-up motor."

I though that the only 05's that had the revup were the 35th aniv. edition???

If I get the Standalone ems will I still need the rev up ecu?
Old 02-11-2009, 12:05 PM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Sounds like D350Z10 used regular arp head studs and wishes he used the L19s that I mentioned. You may pm him to confirm?

And if you use a Haltech ems, then you will not need a revup ecu. You will still need the 4 connectors (2 cam position sensor connectors, 2 cam control connectors)
Old 02-11-2009, 12:26 PM
jdf28045

any idea where I can pic up a revup wiring harness?
Old 02-11-2009, 01:20 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Thanks for the answeres.

I just got finished reading that you have to have the JWT TT kit installed by one of there guys??? Any one have any more details about this? Sorry but I dont pay for labor to have my car worked on and my mechanic is a Greddy dealer so if this is true I might have to look at another setup.

"If you are looking for a ecu I have one from a 05 track that had a rev-up motor."

lol

there is nothing wrong with standard apr headstuds, specially for the 500whp soft goal...d350z10 initial build had quite a few more issues the headstuds. I would worry more about finding a good tuner and getting a proper ecu.... utec/osiris are fine, but if you wanna get serious get a standalone... a few good suggestions here already.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:57 AM
captj3

Thanks for the answeres.

Just to answer this part of your question, the track model had the rev-up motor as well as the anniversary edtion.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:42 AM
go-fast
Banned

Originally Posted by XKR
5) Give us the names of those who have spoken ill of the mighty ARP and we will punish them

Old 02-13-2009, 12:25 PM
jdf28045

no idea's where to get the wiring harnes??
Old 02-13-2009, 12:32 PM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Junkyards