Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Vortech / HKS / Stillen idle sound, loud???

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 03:08 PM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

really its just the bypass valve that makes it noisy and like i said u can get the filter to go over it to quiet it down..heres a link

http://www.superchargersonline.com/p...ber=V8H040-175
Old 04-11-2009, 03:14 PM
mazymus

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
u can't compare the sound with anything else really..it has its own...the car is not what becomes loud, the blowers bypass valve whistles kinda loud but nothing crazy and only when the car is cold and is warming up as the rpm's drop to 1100rpm it makes a whistling noise, couple revs and it goes away as the rpm's get lower and the car gets warm...after its warm it doesn't do it...actually i have a vid showing the whistle on a cold start ill link it here in a sec. and it was still with my stock cats on so the car isn't that loud in this vid..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icZg8pk25JU
nice vid, thanks man. my car is pretty much about 25-30 yards away from the closest neighbor bedroom windows and i have odd work hours (ie, go to work ~1-2 am). so at that time, it will be cold, and the car would be the loudest. do you think it'll be loud enough to annoy neighbors in my situation?

hate to get keyed based on this
Old 04-11-2009, 03:26 PM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by mazymus
nice vid, thanks man. my car is pretty much about 25-30 yards away from the closest neighbor bedroom windows and i have odd work hours (ie, go to work ~1-2 am). so at that time, it will be cold, and the car would be the loudest. do you think it'll be loud enough to annoy neighbors in my situation?

hate to get keyed based on this

honestly u would be fine, cause when u start it it isn't loud at all, only after it idles down, it takes like 2-3mns. of idling for it to start whistling like that, so if u start it then let it idle for like a min then pull away it will never even whistle...i just usually let it idle for a while when its cold, but u could def. pull out and away and then let it idle a min no prob..the exhaust would be louder than the blower when u first start it until like i said it idles down for a min then u will start to get that..although ive heard mine is louder than most and some are just that way..
Old 04-11-2009, 03:29 PM
tylerxfire

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB0Euq4RzTM (i was wrong, this was when i first started it, notice it isn't loud at all really)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icZg8pk25JU (this was after it idled down from the first vid when i was walking around it a little)...so at first see how it doesn't do it then it does after a few minutes...its just at like 1100rpm on my car when its cold and idling down, anything lower or higher nothing..
Old 04-11-2009, 04:11 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i know there is no way i could leave my house at 4am and not getting keyed. mine is super loud. plus the exhaust and it rattle the inside of my house.

you can hear me heading down my street 5 or 6 blocks over
Old 04-11-2009, 04:20 PM
tylerxfire

yeah exhaust is one thing, but the vortech kit itself is whats being discussed as being loud....it can be kept quiet if needed imo, especially with that filter on
Old 04-11-2009, 07:42 PM
mazymus

well, its good news then if in the first minute or so, the noise isn't that bad.

i do have APEX world sport exhaust, custom 3' piping, hope that doesn't add that much.

btw, just checked out your link about the bypass valve. i think that might be the solution to quite down the beast, thanks so much man, i think that may be the solution.

i was thinking of spending extra $$$ for HKS w/ equivalent power, so to cut down noise...

btw, do you have to really let it warm about 2-3 min?

i noticed there's more smoke in the vortech videos, why is that?
Old 04-11-2009, 09:01 PM
350Z400rwhp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, its good news then if in the first minute or so, the noise isn't that bad.

i do have APEX world sport exhaust, custom 3' piping, hope that doesn't add that much.

btw, just checked out your link about the bypass valve. i think that might be the solution to quite down the beast, thanks so much man, i think that may be the solution.

i was thinking of spending extra $$$ for HKS w/ equivalent power, so to cut down noise...

btw, do you have to really let it warm about 2-3 min?

i noticed there's more smoke in the vortech videos, why is that?
If you are worried about sound its going to be more of a result from what exhaust you are running rather than anything else. The Vortech is not that loud besides the wine of the supercharger and that's not something that is going to wake anyone up or be annoying. I kept my stock exhaust on mine for a year and it sounded stock. As for the smoke mine was just some condensation. My car burns no oil at all. No you don't have to let the car warm up for 2-3 min just don't thrash on it until it reaches full running temps. This should go for any car you own, I do the same with my Acura CL.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:21 AM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Hmmm...watching your video, you idle whistle is kinda loud...did you buy your Vortech used?

I bought mine used and mine had a similar whistle at idle...but it was really bad...so bad I had to rev my car at drive-throughs to order food...

I bought the BOV filter, but I figured out it was my BPV...I couldn't adjust it anyway, it was probably no sealing right, so I bought a new BPV...and no more whistle at idle...I decided to add the filter anyway so I wouldn't have to worry about water getting in there...

SO now, with the filter and my HFC's and exhaust, I can hardly hear the hissing sound at all...sounds NA....even when I boost release you don't hear the PSSSSSH anymore; I was tempted to take out the filter so I could hear that sweet sound again, but I decided to play it safe and keep in on to keep the water out just in case...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB0Euq4RzTM (i was wrong, this was when i first started it, notice it isn't loud at all really)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icZg8pk25JU (this was after it idled down from the first vid when i was walking around it a little)...so at first see how it doesn't do it then it does after a few minutes...its just at like 1100rpm on my car when its cold and idling down, anything lower or higher nothing..
Old 04-12-2009, 05:28 AM
roger22

stillen is garbage might as well go n/a
Yeah right, 350rwhp idiot...
Old 04-12-2009, 07:10 AM
tylerxfire

no the smoke in my vids is from over winter when the car was in storage, it was prolly like 25 degrees in the garage when my car was starting up...any car is gonna smoke in the cold like that especially on a cold startup..my car burns absolutely no oil and has been perfect....

imo the exhaust is gonna be louder than the blower, and if ur worried about the whistle that filter should do u good...
Old 04-12-2009, 07:11 AM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by roger22
Yeah right, 350rwhp idiot...

.....stillen stage 1=garbage
stillen stage 2=garbage
stillen stage 3=interesting
stillen stage 4=comparable to other F/I
Old 04-12-2009, 07:13 AM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by 350z006
Hmmm...watching your video, you idle whistle is kinda loud...did you buy your Vortech used?

I bought mine used and mine had a similar whistle at idle...but it was really bad...so bad I had to rev my car at drive-throughs to order food...

I bought the BOV filter, but I figured out it was my BPV...I couldn't adjust it anyway, it was probably no sealing right, so I bought a new BPV...and no more whistle at idle...I decided to add the filter anyway so I wouldn't have to worry about water getting in there...

SO now, with the filter and my HFC's and exhaust, I can hardly hear the hissing sound at all...sounds NA....even when I boost release you don't hear the PSSSSSH anymore; I was tempted to take out the filter so I could hear that sweet sound again, but I decided to play it safe and keep in on to keep the water out just in case...

if u meant me.//no i bought my kit brand new..some are just louder than others as far as the bypass valve
Old 04-12-2009, 07:13 AM
tylerxfire

once the car is warm it doesn't do it...just like i said when its cold and rpm's are coming down as it idles
Old 04-12-2009, 07:38 AM
05Z33

Originally Posted by 350Z400rwhp
16 when I drive it around and have fun. About 28 on the highway.
That's great. How do you get such good MPG. I get 18-20 highway and 15 city.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:42 AM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by 05Z33
That's great. How do you get such good MPG. I get 18-20 highway and 15 city.

i get 26-28mpg highway with the 3.12 on, havent really checked city, but id guess its 20-21mpg
Old 04-12-2009, 07:48 AM
05Z33

i get 26-28mpg highway with the 3.12 on, havent really checked city, but id guess its 20-21mpg
You're also on stock injectors though. I went with the 550's, so that's why I get worse MPGs. 350Z400rwhp has 600cc and gets the same as you. I wonder if the water meth kit has anything to do with it?
Old 04-12-2009, 08:09 AM
mazymus

Originally Posted by 350z006

that's awesome, i think that sealed the deal for me to go w/ vortech.

others argue though that HKS gives lower RPM torque and feel stronger, but at what price? 2-3k more? not sure if that's worth the extra $$$

thanks everyone, great posts

ps, V3 is already out right?

Last edited by mazymus; 04-12-2009 at 08:21 AM.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:09 AM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by 05Z33
You're also on stock injectors though. I went with the 550's, so that's why I get worse MPGs. 350Z400rwhp has 600cc and gets the same as you. I wonder if the water meth kit has anything to do with it?

yeah i noticed u had those injectors...u also have the 2.87 on which might make the mph worse also, but doesn't seem like it would be that dramatic...and as far as the meth he has, its not like he is using it cruising on the highway, so i don't see how that would make a difference...he doesn't have the 2.87 on yet either..idk man..
Old 04-12-2009, 08:13 AM
tylerxfire

that's awesome, i think that sealed the deal for me to go w/ vortech.

others argue though that HKS gives lower RPM torque and feel stronger, but at what price? 2-3k more? not sure if that's worth the extra $$$

thanks everyone, great posts
cool man, im tellin ya ur gonna love it, and with the 3.12 pulley on even more..i cant imagine the 2.87 yet, i have a hard enough time getting trac. with my 275's on the back 1st and 2nd and little of 3rd...car pulls pretty hard, im def. happy with it.. i don't see the hks outperforming the vortech in any way but a higher price

Quick Reply: Vortech / HKS / Stillen idle sound, loud???