Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Vortech / HKS / Stillen idle sound, loud???

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 01:20 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by roger22
Still kick your *** on a road course gramps, hp is just that hp, tq is what wins races off the corners...
He called me Gramps...... oh and i have over 400rwt...just bring your stillen on and remember i had a stage 4 and these greddy twins would kill it even at 6psi.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:55 PM
Vas@Extended
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by superchargedg
He called me Gramps...... oh and i have over 400rwt...just bring your stillen on and remember i had a stage 4 and these greddy twins would kill it even at 6psi.
I was just about to say loll.. " did he just compare the stillen and the greddy twins?"
Old 04-14-2009, 02:14 PM
welderz

Just FYI for the new 370z kit stillen is switching from the eaton M62 to the eaton M90 same as in mustang cobras it will probably dominate all the other supercharger kits for the 370z.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:17 PM
halfass872

Originally Posted by welderz
Just FYI for the new 370z kit stillen is switching from the eaton M62 to the eaton M90 same as in mustang cobras it will probably dominate all the other supercharger kits for the 370z.
That's sweet!!
Old 04-14-2009, 02:33 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Originally Posted by welderz
Man they tried this before and it never worked out for stillen.I waited and waited for that to happen and the unit was to big and required a larger bump in the hood and it made a whole lot more power.....but it required a built bottom end as the tourqe it produced destroyed the rods.

I had talked to Sam(he is the tech in charge)a bunch of times about when the updated sc would be for sale and he kept on saying there was too many problems.Stillen didnt want to release it due to lawsuits when it blew a ton of motors because people were putting it on stock blocks.Stillen has no control over people building there engines or not....so dont wait on this cause it wont happen.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:34 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Originally Posted by Vas@Extended
I was just about to say loll.. " did he just compare the stillen and the greddy twins?"
Yes i do think the newb did..........where is Doug.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:36 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Originally Posted by halfass872
That's sweet!!
Hey i see you finally went stage4......a big difference from the other stage's.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:42 PM
halfass872

Hey i see you finally went stage4......a big difference from the other stage's.
I should've listen to you from the beginning when you said to go straight to Stage 4!!! The difference between 3 and 4 was as drastic as going NA to FI!!! Esp after they finally sent me the correct pulley! (Silver vice gold)
Old 04-14-2009, 02:58 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Originally Posted by halfass872
I should've listen to you from the beginning when you said to go straight to Stage 4!!! The difference between 3 and 4 was as drastic as going NA to FI!!! Esp after they finally sent me the correct pulley! (Silver vice gold)
Cool and glad it worked out for the better.I do still miss the sound and the look you get when you pop the hood and see a blower on top of the engine.I just wished that stillen would have decided to just go ahead and sell the m90 blower.......cause if they did i would still have the stillen.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:08 PM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 04-14-2009, 03:10 PM
tylerxfire

Cool and glad it worked out for the better.I do still miss the sound and the look you get when you pop the hood and see a blower on top of the engine.I just wished that stillen would have decided to just go ahead and sell the m90 blower.......cause if they did i would still have the stillen.

that whole m90 blower deal would be very cool, and make some good power, but i don't like the stillen hood now at all and if it needed to be any bigger jesus idk if it could or look more out of place...

bet those twins are nice ...
Old 04-14-2009, 03:14 PM
citymunky

The Stillen don't make as much HP, as the rest, but my friend has a Stage 4 and is very quiet.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:26 PM
welderz

Nothing has either been confirmed or denied and I've asked for more information but stillen is pretty tight lipped and won't release information before they release the new supercharger. I can't link to other 370z forums so I'll copy some posts from stillen responding to me.

No more info on the STILLEN forced induction solution yet my friend! It will take a few more months before we're ready to release any serious information.

The supercharger for the VQ35 liter engines that STILLEN developed achieved every one of our goals. It was not intended to be the highest horsepower producing forced induction kit because at the end of the day, that only matters at the drag strip or the dyno.

The greatest aspect of an Eaton, positive-displacement supercharger is its daily driver and race track prowess. Because the Eaton blower produces instant boost at low RPM levels there is no lag and therefore it offers amazing torque at low RPM's...Where you drive daily and where you want power when accelerating out of corners. Also, the linear powerband of an engine with an Eaton supercharger speaks volumes of its performance.

One thing to consider with the 3.5 liter is that the blower we selected was chosen for two reasons. 1) Its size. The smaller size allowed us to make a slimmer hood...The next size up supercharger, MP90 is much taller and therefore requires a significantly larger hood bulge. Something that we feel the majority of people would not have wanted. We understand that the hood modification was a little bit of a turn-off on our kit but was worth the performance of the Eaton blower. However, the larger hood bump required to clear the MP90 is pretty massive. For an example, here is the hood that we made to clear the MP90.

http://www.stillen.com/project_vehic...50Z_1024_1.jpg

Some people love it...Some people hate it...personally I think it looks GREAT but, I'm pretty unusual most of the time haha.

Additionally, the MP90 was really, too much blower for the 3.5 liter displacement engine. In order to take full advantage of a 90 CFM supercharger you really need to do a stroker kit and make your engine at least a 3.9 liter. That way you have an engine that can actually handle all the extra air coming in.

You are correct that on a stock block our 62 CFM supercharger can produce about 8 pounds of boost and then it basically runs out of steam. However, that's about all that a stock block can handle. Anything more than that and you start walking the fine line of reliability.

With that being said. The new supercharger that we are working on will be capable of producing PLENTY of horsepower...I don't want to say exactly how much yet but I don't think anyone will be left wanting more with the possible options that we will have.

EDIT: I just got this response.

At this time we aren't ready to disclose exactly what type of forced induction system we are working on.

I will say though that the M62 is too small for the 3.7 liter. It really was intended for engines no larger than 3.5 liters and therefore was already pushed to its max on the 350's and G's.

This and the other responses are leading me to believe that maybe stillen isn't going to offer a roots type supercharger. I guess that means it's got to be a centrifigal supercharger.

Last edited by welderz; 04-14-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:11 PM
scmtkings4

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
ah i re-read and ur saying whp so my bad i thought u were saying torque...so wheres a stillen graph to compare the two, find one so it can be done...i don't see how it would even compare...
haha yeah i was about to say, i wasnt talking about torque

the search is acting a little strange. I cant find the dynos that I found last time.

but im sure that at 4k rpm, it makes around 250ish whp

the stillen is somewhat like the HKS supercharger (this is what I really want) but the numbers it put out might be a tiny bit less? not certain on this

check out these dynos. HKS makes less peak, but more area under the curve

https://my350z.com/forum/shop-builds...p-300rwtq.html

https://my350z.com/forum/shop-builds...p-340rwtq.html

but really, its different with different cars.

Last edited by scmtkings4; 04-14-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:43 AM
halfass872

Originally Posted by scmtkings4
.........I cant find the dynos that I found last time.

the stillen is somewhat like the HKS supercharger (this is what I really want) but the numbers it put out might be a tiny bit less?

Although not the Fastest, Stillen puts out more then 250 WHP with stage 4. I've never dynoed mine but i'd imagine it'd be more around 300.

Why don't you call Stillen if you really want to know??? Ask for Chuck Clemens. He's not a salesman, he's part of the R&D department for the blowers so he'll prob be pretty honest, and have the best idea on what these are making. Or email him @ cclemens@stillen.com. They will be able to give you a better idea then any of us have.

Last edited by halfass872; 04-15-2009 at 02:28 AM.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:49 AM
roger22

Yeah Noob, thats why I have the track record at Laguna for NASA/POC in my Z...Try again Gramps....
Old 04-15-2009, 05:54 AM
Vas@Extended
Vendor - Former Vendor

oh boy..
Old 04-15-2009, 05:56 AM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by roger22
Yeah Noob, thats why I have the track record at Laguna for NASA/POC in my Z...Try again Gramps....

....tool
Old 04-15-2009, 06:00 AM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by scmtkings4
haha yeah i was about to say, i wasnt talking about torque

the search is acting a little strange. I cant find the dynos that I found last time.

the stillen is somewhat like the HKS supercharger (this is what I really want) but the numbers it put out might be a tiny bit less? not certain on this

check out these dynos. HKS makes less peak, but more area under the curve

https://my350z.com/forum/shop-builds...p-300rwtq.html

https://my350z.com/forum/shop-builds...p-340rwtq.html

but really, its different with different cars.

thats some decent torque but still its gonna be outperformed by the vortech, and thats the stage 4 which is the only stillen that is near comparing, and thats it, i mean there is no more room to grow there with the stillen, i make more horsepower and torque than that vortech along with many other people without the 2.87 pulley, that vortech kit and setup should be making more power than that, or its very conservatively tuned or something....
Old 04-15-2009, 06:09 AM
halfass872

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
....tool

+1

Quick Reply: Vortech / HKS / Stillen idle sound, loud???