Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

sts rear mount vs old fashioned tt

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 03:24 PM
zguy825

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll probably boost an E36 instead, and enjoy my $5000 (with car) 420whp mini-monster.
I'm not calling you out but more out of curiosity, what model E36 and turbo kit would you use and only spend 5K? I know the majority of quality turbo kits usually run over 8k for E36's. The other reason I ask is because my friend has a 328 (E36) so I would like to tell him about the idea.

Thank you.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:38 PM
Vas@Extended
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by doug
Don't waste your money on a temporary solution.. Over the years I have seen guy say they are happy with xxxwhp its bullsht ..

Boost is addictive and you will always want more.. Do it right the first time
Doug, you are 100% right, Like I said I would go TT for power down the road. I mean sh*t Im putting down 415 with the vortech and Iam bored of it and I want more power already and I only had it for 3000K miles. This game suxx
Old 06-03-2009, 04:00 PM
Peak350

Its all used parts or DIY.

I have a buddy selling a hardware setup for 2k. Get an OBDI car, you can DIY tune an MS413 DME, and I've got access to a lot of chips for base maps.

I should note, I have more inroads with the BMW community than I could shake a stick at right now. I can get AA stuff pretty cheap, and all the tuning in the world through some other friends (DIY tuning, AA for fine tuning, $120 per hour).

Its all in what you want, but I'd be running used EVERYTHING, and making huge compromises. Start with a 325, add M3 cams (buy cam tools), then M52 swap, move the cams and intake manifold over, etc.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:16 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Peak350
Frankly if I wasn't worried about blowing my motor from knock (or sticking valves) I'd build and STS turbo and buy Osirus tuner. I know basic tuning stuff, how to set up hardware, have access to a mandrel bender, and good tig welder (person not equipment) all for relatively cheap prices. Making a couple oil lines wouldn't scare me off. Could do it for extremely little (like say 3500 total installed and running). Get a base tune and take it to a shop, spend another $500 on a couple hours of fine tuning, and make 400-450 whp safely.

The investment is only marginally more than bolt ons, and I'd have something I could sell if I decided to build and go TT (I feel running more than 8-9 psi of boost on a high compression motor without planning to build later is a bad idea). That said, since I've had any number of issues from high RPM vibration, and have seen too many things to scare me off, I won't be the example of this. I'll probably boost an E36 instead, and enjoy my $5000 (with car) 420whp mini-monster.
even if someone came to me and said they were giving me the kit for free, tuning it for free and installing it for free i wouldn't do it.. not unless they plan to remove it for free also

its not worth the time and headace IMO .. you might think differently .. i wish the GTM TT Kit was out when i bought my Greddy Kit.. right now my kit doesn't go much higher than 700whp.. even though i'm not there.. i hate the fact if i wanted more i have to buy a whole new kit... unlike the GTM and Powerlab Kits where you can go up stages much easier and cheaper.. I wouldn't even bother if i was at the ceiling at 420 whp... trust me when i tell you boost gets old real quick.. your car will be fast.. then in a month it feels like its stock again
Old 06-03-2009, 04:25 PM
Peak350

even if someone came to me and said they were giving me the kit for free, tuning it for free and installing it for free i wouldn't do it.. not unless they plan to remove it for free also

its not worth the time and headace IMO .. you might think differently .. i wish the GTM TT Kit was out when i bought my Greddy Kit.. right now my kit doesn't go much higher than 700whp.. even though i'm not there.. i hate the fact if i wanted more i have to buy a whole new kit... unlike the GTM and Powerlab Kits where you can go up stages much easier and cheaper.. I wouldn't even bother if i was at the ceiling at 420 whp... trust me when i tell you boost gets old real quick.. your car will be fast.. then in a month it feels like its stock again
Rofl, BMW's don't hit a ceiling at 420 whp, I just wouldn't want to push more on a stock M50 engine.

If I wanted more power, it requires pistons $850, rods $550, M3 cams $300, M52, $700 running, S52 crank, $500, and machining of parts, $1000. Assemble with new gaskets, $500 allowance for gaskets and studs, and you've got a $4,000 motor capable of >600whp without a problem. Then its just put a larger turbo on, and remap for more boost, maybe new injectors and fuel system at some point.

Those cars feel unsafe above 500 whp.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:29 PM
doug

Originally Posted by Peak350
Rofl, BMW's don't hit a ceiling at 420 whp, I just wouldn't want to push more on a stock M50 engine.

If I wanted more power, it requires pistons $850, rods $550, M3 cams $300, M52, $700 running, S52 crank, $500, and machining of parts, $1000. Assemble with new gaskets, $500 allowance for gaskets and studs, and you've got a $4,000 motor capable of >600whp without a problem. Then its just put a larger turbo on, and remap for more boost, maybe new injectors and fuel system at some point.

Those cars feel unsafe above 500 whp.
I'm sorry i thought you were talking about a Z with an STS Kit.. i got confused
Old 06-03-2009, 04:38 PM
Peak350

I'm sorry i thought you were talking about a Z with an STS Kit.. i got confused
My bad, I sidetracked. But I'm a huge fan of single turbo inline 6's. And knowing what I could do with one, keeps me from thinking too much about blowing the Z.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:25 AM
zguy825

I wish I had the hook up for the BMW parts. I have a 02 530 5 speed that I love driving...and that with 400+hp would be sick.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:27 AM
streetzlegend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How come most say when you want to make more than ### amount of power to go with TT instead of STS. Why wouldnt the STS be able to that power for a built motor? To me it does not make sense. Isnt there someone putting down above 600rwhp with an STS kit and built block (CMyTailsBlink)?
Old 06-04-2009, 06:51 AM
doug

Originally Posted by streetzlegend
How come most say when you want to make more than ### amount of power to go with TT instead of STS. Why wouldnt the STS be able to that power for a built motor? To me it does not make sense. Isnt there someone putting down above 600rwhp with an STS kit and built block (CMyTailsBlink)?
with upgraded turbo's and upgraded piping.. probably the cost if not more than what he would have paid for a TT Kit to begin with
Old 06-04-2009, 12:35 PM
Peak350

Originally Posted by zguy825
I wish I had the hook up for the BMW parts. I have a 02 530 5 speed that I love driving...and that with 400+hp would be sick.
M54 tuning is tricky, I'll look and see if it has the 3-series ecu (ms43), if it does boost is possible with only some minor modifications.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:04 PM
BoostedProbe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't understand the fascination with 600+whp. It's not streetable, I can see it if you are constantly at the track.

IMO you can have a ton of fun with a good 400whp 350Z. Even that can get you in trouble in a hurry if you don't have the experience.

When I started my build everyone was telling me not to build it myself and to just get a TT kit and call it a day. I built the kit for $2600 (EMS not included) and the setup is capable of making over 450whp easy (turbo flow 61 lbs/min 781cfm). I couldn't be happier with how everything turned out.

So much for listening to the TT crowd.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:16 PM
Jeff92se

Received 1,072 Likes on 964 Posts

If one buys the STS and wants more later, the STS is pretty easy to take off. Probably the injectors (if needed) would be the hard(est) part of the whole thing.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:41 PM
doug

Originally Posted by BoostedProbe
I don't understand the fascination with 600+whp. It's not streetable, I can see it if you are constantly at the track.

IMO you can have a ton of fun with a good 400whp 350Z. Even that can get you in trouble in a hurry if you don't have the experience.

When I started my build everyone was telling me not to build it myself and to just get a TT kit and call it a day. I built the kit for $2600 (EMS not included) and the setup is capable of making over 450whp easy (turbo flow 61 lbs/min 781cfm). I couldn't be happier with how everything turned out.

So much for listening to the TT crowd.
how much HP does your VQ have and how long have you been driving it at that HP?
Old 06-04-2009, 03:39 PM
BoostedProbe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

how much HP does your VQ have and how long have you been driving it at that HP?
I don't know, dyno is on tuesday of next week. I would guss about 360whp or so, and I have put about 2k miles on it.

I understand that one gets used to the power, there is no question abou it. All I am saying is that if you like to have a bit of fun on the street, there is a point where having all the power becomes very unsafe, therefore not fun.

I have driven a few cars that make 500+hp, and this is my impression I guess.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:07 PM
doug

Originally Posted by BoostedProbe
I don't know, dyno is on tuesday of next week. I would guss about 360whp or so, and I have put about 2k miles on it.

I understand that one gets used to the power, there is no question abou it. All I am saying is that if you like to have a bit of fun on the street, there is a point where having all the power becomes very unsafe, therefore not fun.

I have driven a few cars that make 500+hp, and this is my impression I guess.
being the owner of a boring 560 whp 350z .. i will wait till you drive your car for a year at 400 whp and i will check back with you again to see if your feelings are the same
Old 06-04-2009, 06:08 PM
zguy825

Heading back to the topic at hand....what is really holding this kit back from making 550+hp? Injectors? Bigger turbo? (I wish I knew what turbo it came with BTW) Better tune? Engine build? Regardless, its all parts you would need if you upgraded any other kit (Depending on the STS turbo).
Old 06-04-2009, 06:41 PM
doug

Originally Posted by streetzlegend
with upgraded turbo's and upgraded piping.. probably the cost if not more than what he would have paid for a TT Kit to begin with
Heading back to the topic at hand....what is really holding this kit back from making 550+hp? Injectors? Bigger turbo? (I wish I knew what turbo it came with BTW) Better tune? Engine build? Regardless, its all parts you would need if you upgraded any other kit (Depending on the STS turbo).
here let me make it a little bigger for you
Old 06-05-2009, 04:17 AM
zguy825

my350z.com's Biggest DoucheBag of the Year: Pissing off Internet Nerds Daily
Congratulations you have officially lived up to your dubbing sir doug

being the owner of a boring 560 whp 350z
I think its time for you to move on to a new car and forum.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:29 AM
doug

Congratulations you have officially lived up to your dubbing sir doug

I think its time for you to move on to a new car and forum.
awww poor baby fweewings are hurt... tissue for your issue?

Quick Reply: sts rear mount vs old fashioned tt