Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

thinking of a turbo z with problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 04:15 AM
alltel350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Currin
yes Daphne, at a honda dealer. y
I live in mobile,al. A friend was telling me about it. I know there was a guy that worked for the same company as me that had a silver one with the same it that was out of pcola. I can try and see if it was his.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:10 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Dont buy this car
Old 05-18-2009, 05:14 AM
chopperman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like the car has a spun bearing. Mine had the same symptoms and its costing my 3k to replace. Not only that you have to send the turbo in to get rebuilt.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:35 AM
duro78

the dealer gave the previous owner such a low trade-in value because of the turbo and the possible damage. since you live in a state that can sell cars as is theres was no need for the dealer to fix the car before putting it up for sale most states offer a 30-90 day warrantee on all used cars..theres no way the dealer will fix the car or put anything in writing for the simple fact after all is said and done he's gonna go way over what he bought the car for. It seems like his wholesaler didnt even want anything to do with it since hes selling a car with engine damage especially a Honda dealer not joe shmoe used cars. When it comes down to it no one will know until they tear the motor apart..Rule of thumb stay away from FI cars unless they were turbo from the factory. Its a complete mystery how it was built, the maintenance etc etc. The price is so low because the used car manager most likely didnt want anything to do with the car so he lowballed the previous owner and he just wanted out of the car...Trust me stay clear of the car it will cost you in the end..the previous owner, the dealer, the wholesaler didnt want to be left with dropping an unknown amount of $ to fix it so why should you think about it..Z's are so cheap now a days you can buy one and put a used quality kit on it for a similiar price...
Old 05-18-2009, 05:52 AM
Currin

Originally Posted by alltel350z
I live in mobile,al. A friend was telling me about it. I know there was a guy that worked for the same company as me that had a silver one with the same it that was out of pcola. I can try and see if it was his.
that would be great. as a background on who had it and how it was maintained, ect.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:54 AM
Currin

Originally Posted by fstrnldr
1. should i buy. at 14500

I wouldn't, but the answer to the other 3 questions should make up your mind.

2. how much do you think repair cost is on engine?

I won't even begin to guess what it would cost w/ out hearing it. I would guess if it was even close to what would be profitable, the dealer would fix it to sell it rather than trying to sell it broken. If your uncle owns a shop, and you are going to be using his shop, then ask him for a guess on what he is charging you on labor. If it is a spun bearing, you could have major damage to the crank, and rod, or to the block, if it is a broken rod or piston, you could have a block that is junk, call your local nissan dealer and price out some of these things. Other option is to call one of the aftermarket vendors on this site and ask about buying a short block, or long block depending on what "your" car might need after finding out exactly what you need.

3. how long does the turbo last on the TN kit?

If you have a damaged engine making noise, then there is metal in the engine, which means there is metal in the turbo bearings, i would guess it will be on its way out shortly. It could be okay, but would you want to risk it w/ a fresh motor? if the turbo bearings fail, they can send debris back into the engine after all.

4. at worst case scenario on engine and turbo kit, cost of repairs?

again, you need to make some phone calls, start w/ the shop doing the work for you, and continue on to nissan, and some other after market shops to find out what your parts are going to cost. Don't forget to add extra money for things like gaskets, heat wrap, AC line replacement (pretty notorious on the Turbonetics kit), misc hoses etc that will probably need replaced etc.

The other thing to think about is make sure you have another car to drive while you are rebuilding this one, things like this take time in real life, and it seems like you are going to be trading in a running driving car, for a 1:1 scale model of a 350Z. Just make sure you can get to work for at least a few weeks (probably longer) while you are getting everything together for this new toy.

good luck w/ your decision.
thanks very much for the detailed response
Old 05-18-2009, 06:11 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

that would be great. as a background on who had it and how it was maintained, ect.
this is funny as you are still interested in the car........you do seem to have the means - as in a family member with a shop........but it sounds like your more worried about the cash to get it fixed....

if you dont have the dispossible income to throw at it, then you have no business buying the car......simple as that...

is it gonna be a daily driver........reason im asking is cause your trading in a car.....so is it your ONLY car???? means of transportation?

answer those questions......not to us. to you...

-J
Old 05-18-2009, 07:27 AM
Currin

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
this is funny as you are still interested in the car........you do seem to have the means - as in a family member with a shop........but it sounds like your more worried about the cash to get it fixed....

if you dont have the dispossible income to throw at it, then you have no business buying the car......simple as that...

is it gonna be a daily driver........reason im asking is cause your trading in a car.....so is it your ONLY car???? means of transportation?

answer those questions......not to us. to you...

-J
I have the money. I am interested on how much. I know no one will no for sure on the forum what's wrong, but some senerios. And it's notmy only car. But I don't want to put 20k into it, wether I the had money or not. But 4-7 is what I am expecting but wount mind paying 10k. As long as I can make it reasonly reliable. Like buying a new motor but not a turbo. Then the turbo messing up my 5k investment with puting metal into the engine(as someone brought up. )
Old 05-18-2009, 07:45 AM
tiguy99

You're better off buying a good used Z on the forums for a few thousand more with FI parts already on.

If that doesn't work, I've seen good shape Zs in the 13-15K range where you and your uncle can spend the additional $$$ you have to do it the right way. (Should save big money since its your uncle helping you out on labor and tuning I assume)

Why don't you bring him with you to the dealer to look at this car? If he's seen it, what's his take on it?

Listen to the guys here. Alot of them have spent the big bucks going FI and have the experience to show for it.

All of them went through the issues on their own car and gained experience. With this car we don't even know where to begin. Its going to cost you A LOT more to fix it right.

I think you'll end up regretting this decision.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:55 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

someone pease give him the green light he wants so we can move on
Old 05-18-2009, 08:16 AM
tiguy99

Originally Posted by doug
Doug, somehow I lol'd when I read that!

Seriously, I may only be 28 years old but in my short life I've learned that we learn from our own experience or through the experience of others.

If the later doesn't work out for the O.P, then maybe its time he find out for himself just what he's getting into.

With that said.....I think he should get it...prove us all wrong
Old 05-18-2009, 08:18 AM
xpock182

An 06 Track 350 with that miles should sell for just under that price Bone stock. I assure you anyone that is desperate enough to sell a turbo car to a dealer and not a close friend or someone who trust him, He must really want to get rid of that car. I bet they gave him under 10 for it. If it was in good shape he could of gave someone a Great deal and sold it for atleast 15 if it was in good shape. Chances are he didnt have the kit professionally installed and gave up on the build after continous problems. If it wasnt worth 10k For him its not goign to be worth 14.5 For you. Also if this is goign to be your only car make no mistake that it will take time to rebuild. And you dont want to be running around asking for rides. This could cause you alot more problems than just a **** tun of cash. Find someone off here and by a z from them or buy a stock Z and build it ur self over the next year or two. I would never buy a Z that i didnt have built to my tast. Unless it was built buy a SOLID shop and i personally knew the seller.

Last edited by xpock182; 05-18-2009 at 08:20 AM.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:55 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by doug
ok, Doug and I give you the green seal of approval... buy it!!!!! its a bargain!!!
Old 05-18-2009, 09:12 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Get a compression\leakdown test if your mind is made up... But honestly after being on this forum i would listen to what others have said and stay away... If that car is a closet mess it'll become more of a novel on this forum than your Daily Driver...
Old 05-18-2009, 09:19 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I have the money. I am interested on how much. I know no one will no for sure on the forum what's wrong, but some senerios. And it's notmy only car. But I don't want to put 20k into it, wether I the had money or not. But 4-7 is what I am expecting but wount mind paying 10k. As long as I can make it reasonly reliable. Like buying a new motor but not a turbo. Then the turbo messing up my 5k investment with puting metal into the engine(as someone brought up. )
well if your expecting/able to cough up 4- 7K more,then just purchase a FI car off a member on the forum, even if you have to pay 600-1000 to transport the car to you, or a cheap 350 buck plane ticket to go out and buy it and drive it back...etc..

your views on this seem hindered, seems like you wanna trade in your car, get a cheap payment, and use your cash you have stashed to fix it up......like if payment is your only thought.......im digging here cause it doesnt seem to make sense?

-J
Old 05-18-2009, 10:02 AM
xben9x

Buy a car you can put the kit on yourself if your uncle has a shop, get deal there, know the background of a car like that. Too much money involved there to fix. Walk away from that one.

But......It's not my money.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:04 AM
psychoballistic

Your making a mistake from square one if you buy this. How many other things could be possibly wrong if its clanking... The guys on here are right, buy one either used and and put a quality kit on it, probably cheaper in the end then buying this car. Or by one already boosted from someone on the forums here. Either way, your buying a car you simply won't be able to drive right away, and the TN kits are notorious for so many problems.

If I was in your shoes i'd be walking the other way. Your looking at alot of money if theres more then just a bearing wrong, and you could easily end up spending more then 10k, even in just parts depending on what your buying.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:09 AM
ZBigDog

Yeah it seems like you want to hear "do it"...but I don't think you should....

I thought it was odd you say you'd rather buy a new motor, not a new turbo..why not avoid the unknown amount to fix this car, buy a gently used stock Z...and then let your uncle use your cash to build a new turbo kit the "right" way.....
Old 05-18-2009, 10:18 AM
ToastZ

Don't buy this car.

Buy a solid used car with a proven history,... install new kit,... enjoy the ride.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:30 AM
ADMAN

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Quick Reply: thinking of a turbo z with problems