Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Vortech + Osiris + Kinetix What to expect?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 12:48 PM
bd0g36

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortech + Osiris + Kinetix What to expect?

I've searched for days and I can't find what an answer.

I currently have the Vortech tuner kit with 3.12 pulley non revup with the Utec. I have headers, fast intentions test pipes and FI exhaust. I put down 351whp on a dynodynamics.

I am looking at replacing the Utec with the Osiris Uprev, and will need a new tune, so I was also thinking about adding a Plenum or plenum spacer at the same time.

My question is what is the best option for my combo, the spacer or something like the Kinetix SSV? And what kind of gains could I expect with the new Osiris tune and the spacer or Kintetix? Also is there anything else that I may want to add before my new tune? I'm thinking maybe meth injection...
Old 05-24-2009, 01:04 PM
OldManZ350

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

IMO Install the 2.87 Pulley ($75) and retune, you'll gain about 20-25Hp.
The Utec is a good Tool and its paid for. Why change it now?
Do you have Larger injectors (440cc)
Do you have a Walbro Pump?
@ 351whp on a DD you are close to maxing out your Injectors and Pump, if you what more power you'll need to at least upgrade injectors and pump. And if you upgrade, you'll need to lower your fuel pressure and install a 6/1 kit in your FMU ($45)
Old 05-24-2009, 02:01 PM
bd0g36

My tuner is recommending going to the Osiris for drivability improvements and better hot starts. I think he prefers to tune with the Osiris as well.

Here are some details on my fuel system.

Function:TUNED Stage .5 Fuel System
DW550CC DeatschWerks 550CC Injectors
WAL255 Walbro 255 Fuel Pump

Any ideas on what the Kinetix SSV would add, or a plenum spacer?
Old 05-24-2009, 02:06 PM
coachk
Banned

IMO don't waste your money on the SSV unless its just for the bling factor. You could do a plenum spacer but honestly I wouldn't spend the money on one until you get higher up in the whp. The OEM plenum is plenty for your setup.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:42 PM
bd0g36

Originally Posted by coachk
IMO don't waste your money on the SSV unless its just for the bling factor. You could do a plenum spacer but honestly I wouldn't spend the money on one until you get higher up in the whp. The OEM plenum is plenty for your setup.
That's what I figured. Any thoughts on what advantage meth injection may have?
Old 05-24-2009, 02:44 PM
OldManZ350

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by coachk
What Coachk said on the Plenum.....

If your Tuner Can Not Tune out Hot Starts with the Utec, then he needs to go back to School.......

Why would you spend that kind of money just because your so called Tuner Likes it.....???? The Osiris is a fine Tool, but you already have the Utec whitch is also a fine tool.....

Sounds like you have your fuel system setup, put on a 2.87 pulley, tune it Correctly and be done with it...... Fine a Top Notch Tuning that Knows what he is doing.... There are very few out there, Just because you have a Shop, a Dyno and tools, it don't meam ****........
Old 05-24-2009, 02:49 PM
bd0g36

Originally Posted by OldManZ350
What Coachk said on the Plenum.....

If your Tuner Can Not Tune out Hot Starts with the Utec, then he needs to go back to School.......

Why would you spend that kind of money just because you so called Tuner Likes it.....???? The Osiris is a fine Tool, but you already have the Utec whitch is also a fine tool.....

Sounds like you have your fuel system setup, put on a 2.87 pulley, tune it Correctly and be done with it...... Fine a Top Notch Tuning that Knows what he is doing.... There are very few out there, Just because you have a Shop, a Dyno and tools, it don't meam ****........

I feel the same way you do, but my tuner is one of the most respected guys in the mid atlantic region so I value his opinion, but I also understand that he is running a business. I started this thread to get some other ideas. The 2.87 pulley sounds like a great next step. Are there any obvious cons to going in that direction besides reaching the limits of the stock block?
Old 05-24-2009, 08:37 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

I do agree with Oldmanz350,
If you are going to get a retune, upgrade to smaller pulley isn't bad idea. One of reason why i upgraded to smaller one this time, just make my $ worthy.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:53 PM
350Z400rwhp

To answer your question on the meth, I gained 16whp with it. I would spend the money on a meth kit and a 2.87 pulley. I have a utec and it starts just fine every time. Maybe once in awhile it will stumble a bit but just blip the throttle. Its really not a big deal. I added my dyno graph so you can see where the meth adds power, just look at the dotted and solid lines.
Attached Thumbnails Vortech + Osiris + Kinetix What to expect?-bcdyno1.jpg  
Old 05-25-2009, 07:10 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

there is no reason you couldnt make that power without meth though. all your tuner did was bump the timing. theres no way you shoulda been knocking at that power level on pump gas.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:38 PM
350Z400rwhp

Originally Posted by str8dum1
there is no reason you couldnt make that power without meth though. all your tuner did was bump the timing. theres no way you shoulda been knocking at that power level on pump gas.
Yes he did bump the timing, hence the need for the meth, hence the reason for the power gain.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:20 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i still dont see why you think you needed meth. did your tuner say you were knocking uncontrollably at the horsepower level. did you try running that timing with no meth? like i said, there should be no reason you need methanol on barely 400 horsepower. people are running pump gas up to 500+hp. unless your injectors are too small and the only way to get enough fuel up top was by leaning the AF and supplimenting with methanol...

the only reason you's run meth on a stock block was if your AITs were getting so high as to cause knock.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:49 PM
bd0g36

So you're saying there is no advantage to meth?

I'm pretty sure meth helps keep temps down, SC's are affected quite dramatically by hot weather. It can also help push more power safely with the stock block. I have also seen people add meth and a tune and get significant power gains, and some that get minimal or no gains.

I think it's worth it just for the cooling effect...and meth is not that expensive.

So why NOT add meth?
Old 05-26-2009, 05:41 PM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

obviously ur tuner u speak of is funciton tuned, because they are offering osiris and have tuned ur utec already it seems and u are having problems with it..i am hearing good things on osiris but idk
Old 05-26-2009, 05:42 PM
tylerxfire

meth inj. doesnt add power itself, it just allows for more power to be made safely, but i agree a low 400whp car with the right setup should not need meth inj. and be fine with a good 93 octane tune
Old 05-26-2009, 08:24 PM
bd0g36

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
obviously ur tuner u speak of is funciton tuned, because they are offering osiris and have tuned ur utec already it seems and u are having problems with it..i am hearing good things on osiris but idk
You are correct that Dave at Function:Tuned tuned my car. I am not having problems with the Utec, however Dave did recommend the Osiris, saying that it will make the car run more like stock. On a really hot day, my hot starts take a little gas to fire up, that's the only thing that I notice. The other thing is that he said my SES light will turn off, it's on because of my test pipes. I'm not really sold on the idea as I am happy with how the car runs now.

I do like the idea of meth because summer here is really hot and humid, and I can really it feel in the performance of my car. I also like the idea of being extra cautious on my stock block, while at the same time making more power by adding a 2.87 pulley and a plenum spacer.

Do you think that adding meth at the same time is a waste? With the new pulley and spacer I would probably be at 375-380whp on the dynodynamics which would be somewhere between 420-430 on a dynojet.

Last edited by bd0g36; 05-26-2009 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:27 PM
alan86

good info ppl
Old 05-26-2009, 08:29 PM
tylerxfire

no i think meth inj. is a good thing, just dont think some people realize they dont need it at certain power levels and dont understand what it does..it depends on what u do with ur car i guess and how much u beat on it and how safe u wanna be..
Old 05-26-2009, 08:30 PM
tylerxfire

if ur ses light is on because of ur test pipes why not get defoulers??? if u already have them on then thats not the reason
Old 05-26-2009, 08:44 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by bd0g36
You are correct that Dave at Function:Tuned tuned my car. I am not having problems with the Utec, however Dave did recommend the Osiris, saying that it will make the car run more like stock. On a really hot day, my hot starts take a little gas to fire up, that's the only thing that I notice. The other thing is that he said my SES light will turn off, it's on because of my test pipes. I'm not really sold on the idea as I am happy with how the car runs now.

I do like the idea of meth because summer here is really hot and humid, and I can really it feel in the performance of my car. I also like the idea of being extra cautious on my stock block, while at the same time making more power by adding a 2.87 pulley and a plenum spacer.

Do you think that adding meth at the same time is a waste? With the new pulley and spacer I would probably be at 375-380whp on the dynodynamics which would be somewhere between 420-430 on a dynojet.

It is depend on how you want to set W/M at. It could be waste money or not, i have a W/M but not spray it much at all. Was it waste money? no i got a super deal, couldn't pass at that time. But it was good to having it tho, i'm ready to play with W/M with 2.87 pulley at this time.

Without W/M, i probably put down same number as now, i saw huge diff A/F once it spray. But it is really really depend on where your tuner set at, you can start spray w/m at small boost, but you will need to have gallon of w/m with you all the time ( if not, get ready to hear BAM! ).

W/M helps cool down your engine, BUT! only at boost. If you live in really hot weather, i would go spend more $ on cooling system.

I think Function's dyno reads really really low ( compare with same dyno ). But you will easily hit over 400 on dynojet for sure.

Quick Reply: Vortech + Osiris + Kinetix What to expect?