Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Z33Art V2.0 Custom Single Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 08:31 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

and your parameter file is still the same as before, using Speed density and open loop tuning? That wont help with your misfire, but it would prevent transition to 10+% load
Old 07-21-2009, 09:03 AM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by str8dum1
and your parameter file is still the same as before, using Speed density and open loop tuning? That wont help with your misfire, but it would prevent transition to 10+% load
Yes. I am running open loop and speed density.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:21 AM
str8dum1

ya that would be a silly oversight if your param file wasnt setup right. Like I said, my car behaved the same way when I tried to take around the block before it was tuned. As soon as it got past 10% is bucked and tried to die. I could easy on the throttle and get it to rev just fine, but nothing over like 25% (tps transition in utec)

will it drive fine without the wastegate springs?
Old 07-21-2009, 11:25 AM
Quamen

ya that would be a silly oversight if your param file wasnt setup right. Like I said, my car behaved the same way when I tried to take around the block before it was tuned. As soon as it got past 10% is bucked and tried to die. I could easy on the throttle and get it to rev just fine, but nothing over like 25% (tps transition in utec)

will it drive fine without the wastegate springs?
I have not tried taking the wastegate spring out. However, what you mentioned is what I am experiencing. I could try to run more load via the MAF and raise the thresholds. That would at least allow me to isolate the problem a bit more. If I raise the thresholds to 4psi and 60% throttle and it allows me to accelerate further then I know there is a problem with the load sites and how the UTEC is controlling them.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:46 AM
str8dum1

Pretty sure mine acted like that bc the AFR was way off. It would run just fine without the blower belt on (thats why i suggested try with no WG spring). JT at PF put it on the dyno and got it to run after 1 pull. But that was all before I knew anything about the UTEC, so I dont really know what the problem was. I was too scared to really touch any of the settings back then.

Any way to post screen shots of your param files.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:51 AM
Jtran Studios
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try a new ckp?
Old 07-21-2009, 03:06 PM
Quamen

Pretty sure mine acted like that bc the AFR was way off. It would run just fine without the blower belt on (thats why i suggested try with no WG spring). JT at PF put it on the dyno and got it to run after 1 pull. But that was all before I knew anything about the UTEC, so I dont really know what the problem was. I was too scared to really touch any of the settings back then.

Any way to post screen shots of your param files.
Last year in the 10% column I ran at about 5.0ms to 6.0ms depending on where I was. That is where I started this year and I went up in .5ms increments all the way up to a ridiculous 15ms at which point there should be black smoke coming out my exhaust at that low of load and the plugs should be wet. Neither of these events happened though. I also went leaner and there was no change at all. The thing is it bucks so quick I can't get an air fuel ratio.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:07 PM
Quamen

Originally Posted by Overdrive/Jtran
try a new ckp?
Shouldn't I be able to log a knock event or through a code if the CKP is bad?
Old 07-21-2009, 05:25 PM
str8dum1

hmm with a log you should be able to grab AFR.
Your 0% should be around -10 and your 10% column should start at about 60 at 250 rpms and go up to about 100 by redline. and then ~+10 for each column to the right. thats what you seem to have.

too bad you can buck when its too lean or too rich. without a good log, you are shooting blind

also, what is ckp?
Old 07-21-2009, 05:26 PM
Jtran Studios
Vendor - Former Vendor

we both know what the ckp does. if there is an erratic signal coming from the ckp then there will be an erratic action due to the erratic reading. just a thought. ive encountered it a few times where the ckp is fine during idle or during light load, but the minute you get into load, it freaks out. as stated, ive encountered it before and there was no code being thrown. last car that it happened on was our customer quang with the sc fx35. no code was thrown for the ckp but it bucked and acted all crazy when under load. drove fine, but under load it was bucking and bogging. just a thought as stated.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:27 PM
Jtran Studios
Vendor - Former Vendor

hmm with a log you should be able to grab AFR.
Your 0% should be around -10 and your 10% column should start at about 60 at 250 rpms and go up to about 100 by redline. and then ~+10 for each column to the right. thats what you seem to have.

too bad you can buck when its too lean or too rich. without a good log, you are shooting blind

also, what is ckp?
ckp is the crankshaft position sensor. located at the bottom of the motor between the transmission and motor.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:40 PM
gabe3d

Great post and lots of nice details in here. Your projects are always facinating and innotvative!

If it helps any. I had an issue with my CKP after installing a new clutch and flywheel. Under some conditions (usually when i'm about to stall going in reverse) the flywheel would slightly hit the sensor and would throw my car into limp mode (I didn't hear or feel it hitting, just the car going into limp). It's not 100% reproducable but the tech pulled out the transmission and put it back with a new sensor and all is fine now. Something was not lined up correctly initially.

Prior to taking my car back to the tech I did have a few dyno runs and my car would stop making power at 5250rpm. This is after clearing the SES light. After the new CKP and reinstalled clutch everything was back to normal. HTH.

Last edited by gabe3d; 07-21-2009 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:50 PM
Jtran Studios
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by gabe3d
Great post and lots of nice details in here. Your projects are always facinating and innotvative!

If it helps any. I had an issue with my CKP after installing a new clutch and flywheel. Under some conditions (usually when i'm about to stall going in reverse) the flywheel would slightly hit the sensor and would throw my car into limp mode (I didn't hear or feel it hitting, just the car going into limp). It's not 100% reproducable but the tech pulled out the transmission and put it back with a new sensor and all is fine now. Something was not lined up correctly initially.

Prior to taking my car back to the tech I did have a few dyno runs and my car would stop making power at 5250rpm. This is after clearing the SES light. After the new CKP and reinstalled clutch everything was back to normal. HTH.
seems like whoever installed your clutch and flywheel didnt line the flywheel up correctly on the crankshaft.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:16 PM
gabe3d

Yeah, that is what I think as well. Ironically the shop that performed the job was the dealer. Good thing is that no permanent damage was done and they fixed the issue fairly quickly.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:07 PM
tiguy99

Great thread. O.P, hope you get your issue resolved quickly. I'd love to have you come down for a photoshoot with you and Phunk.

We (ChicagoZ) are supposed to do a cruise up to Madison next month. Hopefully you can have her running by then and come out. I'd love to see her in action
Old 07-22-2009, 03:57 AM
Quamen

Well it looks like if I make no progress tomorrow with the above checks I will have to start ordering sensors and replacing them. I will start with the CPK and work my way to the cam sensors and knock sensor if needed.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:43 AM
Quamen

Originally Posted by Overdrive/Jtran
ckp is the crankshaft position sensor. located at the bottom of the motor between the transmission and motor.
Where can I buy one other than at a stealership?
Old 07-23-2009, 07:37 AM
Jtran Studios
Vendor - Former Vendor

online is cheaper. but takes a bit longer.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:36 PM
Quamen

I'm getting one from Napa for $80.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:54 PM
Quamen

I replaced the crank position sensor and it was no better. I have decided to remove the UTEC and the injectors and send them both in for testing. I will get the injectors cleaned and flow tested while they are at the mfg. also.

Quick Reply: Z33Art V2.0 Custom Single Turbo