Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Another one bites the dust

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 02:06 PM
niceguyyy01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Another one bites the dust

Well guys I haven't been on here in a while, been trying to get my G lined out... well bad news, after 150 miles on the new built motor and turbo kit, it is officially hurt.

I won't get into specifics right now, but let's just say this:

Hal tuned the car to a safe tune, 1st trans blew right after our dyno session. Sent it off and got a rebuilt one back. Toasted a converter almost immediately. Sent the car off (this time) to have the trans fixed, car came back with oil leaks. Determined a hose wasn't tight.... no biggie. Tightened the hose. Test drive.... got hot in less than 4 miles. Towed home. Checked everything...water level was low, but I just thought no biggie. Added water(motor only has ~125, shouldn't have any issues), found the sump pump had a peice broken off of the plastic housing....read= huge oil leak. Replaced pump (my dime). Still had oil issues.... less than 15 psi at idle and would still overheat and not make it more than 4 miles. By now I have driven it less than 20 miles total between breakdowns and never had the motor over 3k rpms. Oil is leaking out of the brand new sump pump, it's smokin like a train and it overheats and eats water.

I've had enough. I get with Johnny at Jtran. For the record.... these guys are the real deal.

I'll elaborate more on Jtran later, as they have been fantastic.

Johnny has determined that the rings are toast, the headgaskets are toast and who knows what else till they get it apart. So.... to make this a short story, I now have to figure out how I am gonna pay to have this fixed, cause I am not working on this thing ANYMORE. This has been the worst car experience in my entire life.

Please note...... I am not placing blame on anyone. Sometimes this crap just happens... it's just how it is dealt with that makes the difference. Hopefully some of the players involved will step in and help a brother out.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:23 PM
jebz240

Sorry to hear this. Keep your head up though if nothing else i am sure this has been a learning experience. Hope you get it all worked out.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:27 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Ur motor lasts 150 miles and you don't find a build issue with that?
Old 08-05-2009, 02:30 PM
ATX350

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by niceguyyy01

I've had enough. I get with Johnny at Jtran. For the record.... these guys are the real deal.
+111 Johnny has been a great help with my build as well.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:34 PM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+112 on Johnny
Old 08-05-2009, 03:32 PM
XKR

WOW...Dont like to hear things like this... Good luck on whatever your build plans are. I am sure Jtran will fix you up.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:41 PM
JTinFL

Sorry to hear about this. Let us know if you have any questions or need anything at all.

Originally Posted by niceguyyy01
Well guys I haven't been on here in a while, been trying to get my G lined out... well bad news, after 150 miles on the new built motor and turbo kit, it is officially hurt.

I won't get into specifics right now, but let's just say this:

Hal tuned the car to a safe tune, 1st trans blew right after our dyno session. Sent it off and got a rebuilt one back. Toasted a converter almost immediately. Sent the car off (this time) to have the trans fixed, car came back with oil leaks. Determined a hose wasn't tight.... no biggie. Tightened the hose. Test drive.... got hot in less than 4 miles. Towed home. Checked everything...water level was low, but I just thought no biggie. Added water(motor only has ~125, shouldn't have any issues), found the sump pump had a peice broken off of the plastic housing....read= huge oil leak. Replaced pump (my dime). Still had oil issues.... less than 15 psi at idle and would still overheat and not make it more than 4 miles. By now I have driven it less than 20 miles total between breakdowns and never had the motor over 3k rpms. Oil is leaking out of the brand new sump pump, it's smokin like a train and it overheats and eats water.

I'll elaborate more on Jtran later, as they have been fantastic.

Johnny has determined that the rings are toast, the headgaskets are toast and who knows what else till they get it apart. So.... to make this a short story, I now have to figure out how I am gonna pay to have this fixed, cause I am not working on this thing ANYMORE. This has been the worst car experience in my entire life.

Please note...... I am not placing blame on anyone. Sometimes this crap just happens... it's just how it is dealt with that makes the difference. Hopefully some of the players involved will step in and help a brother out.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:47 PM
niceguyyy01

Originally Posted by 0jiggy0
Ur motor lasts 150 miles and you don't find a build issue with that?
The motor was built by Kyle at IPP and there is nothing wrong with the build. It ran flawlessly on the dyno and when it broke the first rebuild of the trans, it was still running perfect. I have only experienced these problems since the car returned from having the trans fixed.

Jtran has really stepped up and is really determined to get me on the road and enjoying this car. He has only had the car for 18 hours and I am SO impressed with the diligence and customer contact he has given me... I feel like he is my personal mechanic and he has no other customers... which we both know he is swamped. No wonder he has such a good reputation, he treats everyone like they are his only customer.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:53 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Sorry to hear, good luck man.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:57 PM
terps

how did the pump get damaged? low oil pressure kills motors. you can comiserate with cass hes lost 2 due to low oilpressure
Old 08-05-2009, 04:05 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch.....
Old 08-05-2009, 04:16 PM
stein

It's so discouraging when things like this happen, I hope everything works out for you.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:57 PM
Jtran Studios
Vendor - Former Vendor

i will be uploading a few pics tonight and will be posting them tomorrow for everyone to see that there is a big flaw in the design of the scavenge pump used in the kit he chose. the motor was good as stated before it left for the trans build. hal tuned it, as stated above, for a break in tune. if it was gonna let go, it wouldve let go during the tuning session.
car has very low compression in all cylinders varying from 35 to 45 psi. we put a few drops of oil in one cylinder and the compression came up to 155-160psi. leak down was done on all cylinders. the test came out 45-55 percent leak in all cylinders.

ernie your in good hands man as i say to all my customers. we will take care of everything, ill toss you over a quote first thing in the morning. i have everything written down, just gotta get amber to transfer it over to an estimate. sorry again for your car, we were hoping to do the checks and just have to change the pump out and get you on your way!
Old 08-05-2009, 04:58 PM
Jtran Studios
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by terps
how did the pump get damaged? low oil pressure kills motors. you can comiserate with cass hes lost 2 due to low oilpressure
pump failed due to the usage of a wax diaphram (sp?) instead of a viton diaphram (sp?) wax and heat dont mix
Old 08-05-2009, 05:30 PM
niceguyyy01

Thanks J. I too was hoping for something quick and easy that I might have overlooked.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:30 PM
XKR

This is not directed at the OP....

Let me explain to everyone where WE stand on things before this thread gets heated up...

All the shops I support are shops I would trust to work on any car that I own...I know that ALL of them will stand behind their work....they would never screw over a customer....

If the customer has a problem with a shop...they contact the shop and try and work things out...If this does not work...Please post your experience so we can see how you were treated....

None of us supports any shop that would do a member wrong...All the shops WE support...stand behind their work !!

Last edited by XKR; 08-05-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:45 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Ernie,

I'm bummed to hear that the worst case scenario is coming true with your car after the last time we spoke. I was worried this would be the case with the motor when you first informed me the car returned from ______ with major oil leakage that it didn't have before you shipped the car to them.

Folks... Ernie really is a "nice guy" in how he has been handling this ordeal with the shop involved prior to Johnny at JTran stepping up to the plate to help him. Ernie is being a gentlemen in this thread too and is being way more kind to the shop involved than I would be if I were in the same situation. I have been privy to the back story on all of this that started months ago. Ernie and I have kept in touch with each other about our projects since he first offered to help me get my auto trans out of SGP Racing last year when they weren't returning calls or E-mails. Like Ernie stated, he had his G shipped to this shop after his fully built auto trans was slipping (at only 500whp). There were no other issues with the car except high AIT's when Hal was doing the tune.

Without naming names, I'll say that the shop involved makes me . The owner of that shop quickly denied any knowledge or responsibility for the oil leakage and then immediately made the transport driver a scapegoat by insinuating that someone must have joy rided the car prior to delivery. Then it turns out that the scavenge pump installed on this turbo kit is a POS when Johnny inspects it.

I'm hoping the shop involved steps up and does the right thing. Otherwise, they are no better than RA/Scott Bush in my book and should immediately cease with the self righteous posts in the SGP and RA threads.

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 08-05-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:49 PM
XKR

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
Ernie,

I'm bummed to hear that the worst case scenario is coming true with your car after the last time we spoke. I was worried this would be the case with the motor when you first informed me the car returned from ______ with major oil leakage that it didn't have before you shipped the car to them.

Folks... Ernie really is a "nice guy" in how he has been handling this ordeal with the shop involved prior to Johnny at JTran stepping up to the plate to help him. I have been privy to the back story on all of this that started months ago. Ernie and I have kept in touch with each other about our projects since he first offered to help me get my auto trans out of SGP Racing last year when they weren't returning calls or E-mails. Like Ernie stated, he had his G shipped to this shop after his fully built auto trans was slipping (at only 500whp). There were no other issues with the car except high AIT's when Hal was doing the tune.

Without naming names, I'll say that the shop involved makes me . The owner of that shop quickly denied any knowledge or responsibility for the oil leakage and then immediately made the transport driver a scapegoat by insinuating that someone must have joy rided the car prior to delivery. Then it turns out that the scavenge pump installed on this turbo kit is a POS when Johnny inspects it.

I'm hoping the shop involved steps up and does the right thing. Otherwise, they are no better than RA/Scott Bush in my book and should immediately cease with the self righteous posts in the SGP and RA threads.
Well I am quite sure its none of the shops on the Recon Units list of top 5 to 6 shops... ...So I move on

Last edited by XKR; 08-05-2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:53 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Overdrive/Jtran
pump failed due to the usage of a wax diaphram (sp?) instead of a viton diaphram (sp?) wax and heat dont mix
Pics and more info on this please. The turbo kit has the issue?

OP, I know exactly how you feel. Take some solace in the fact that you probably saved yourself from having a complete loss, oil starvation ruins everything. I look forwar to seeing you back on the road and enjoying your car in the near future.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:10 PM
Jtran Studios
Vendor - Former Vendor

will be posting pics of the diaphram (sp?) when i get to the shop tomorrow. its the scavenge pump that is included with the kit. tried to get a hold of the people that "modify" these pumps but you can only email them. no number to reach them by.

the pump that is included in the kit is actually a marine oil pump "modified" to withstand the heat of the oil that will be cycled through it. if this pump was modified, i dont know what was modified in it. it still had a wax diaphram (sp?) which if you think about it, heat and wax dont really mix. what we will be running on his car is a turbowerx scavenge pump setup. specs and the design is identical to the mocal unit. here are the specs on the new unit

• 350F Fluid Temperature
• 3 GPM Pump Rate, 50+PSI *120VAC version: 4+ GPM Pump Rate, 100+PSI*
• Hardened Bronze Gear Pump Rotors
• 10,000 Hour Rated Dual Ball Bearings
• 10,000 Hour Rated Over-sized Brushes
• Black Anodized Extruded Aluminum Heatsink
• Nickel-plated Pump Head
• Stainless Steel Pump Head Fasteners
• 3/8" NPT F Threaded Pump Head Ports
• -6AN M Nickel-plated Adapters
• Hi-Temp Wiring
• Weatherproof Connectors