Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Preferred MAF Sensor Location w/Turbo - Before or After Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 06:23 PM
mx594

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Preferred MAF Sensor Location w/Turbo - Before or After Turbo?

I am doing a custom turbo system for my 03 G. I am using an HKS turbo setup kit and the majority of a JWT intercooler system. The one thing I dont have is intake piping, which I am going to fabricate. I noticed that JWT puts the MAF sensor on the intake side of the turbo, while the GReddy kit places it after the turbos. Personally, I like the GReddy style, since it will account for temperature variations caused by the turbos/ intercoolers. Plus, the GReddy style will allow me to use dual air filters.

Can anyone shine some light on this subject?

Oh yeah and I am using a UTEC and DW 600s.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:30 PM
failsafe306

Most kits I've seen for the VQ place the MAF sensor after the turbo(s).
Old 08-06-2009, 08:02 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I think you can do either. I had the pull through MAF on my JWT kit and I changed it to blow through (so I could get dual CAIs). There are benefits to pull through (like you won't ever be blowing oil onto the MAF sensor, which you can do if turbo seals start leak, and all leak a little).
Old 08-06-2009, 11:21 PM
ACI318

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Preferred location would be in the trash can. Buy a Haltech or Fcon and dont use it at all. I know it cost more, but it is worth it.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:44 AM
zads

I like blow through because if you develop a major or minor leak in your system before your MAF you can still drive it around (albeit at loss of power),
but if you develop a leak after the MAF then it will barely run (if at all), or run very poorly.
With blow through there's much less leak potential after the MAF.
With suck/pull through, there's tons of leakage points.

You can run also run an atmosphere vented/open BOV easily (although I don't like them), without making weird ECU corrections for the 'lost air'.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:33 AM
mx594

I don't want to hear the "get an Fcon or Haltech" rant. Save it for another thread. It's not an option for me. You can't even tune an Fcon yourself can you?

Sounds like I will be going with a blow through MAF. It would sure make things easier. RC - do you have any pictures of your dual CAI setup with the JWT?
Old 08-07-2009, 05:28 AM
failsafe306

Originally Posted by ACI318
Preferred location would be in the trash can. Buy a Haltech or Fcon and dont use it at all. I know it cost more, but it is worth it.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:53 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mx594
I don't want to hear the "get an Fcon or Haltech" rant. Save it for another thread. It's not an option for me. You can't even tune an Fcon yourself can you?

Sounds like I will be going with a blow through MAF. It would sure make things easier. RC - do you have any pictures of your dual CAI setup with the JWT?
Pics are in my build thread - link in sig. I run a Haltech and keep the MAF anyway because:

(a) I have to as the automatic trans (TCM) REQUIRES it as it needs the calculated load parameter that the stock ECU sends to it and the stock ECU derives that from the MAF.

(b) it prevents the CELs related to the MAF.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:53 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ACI318
LOL-I was gonna say the same thing. MAP sensor would be appropriate...
Old 08-07-2009, 07:44 AM
mx594

Originally Posted by Alberto
LOL-I was gonna say the same thing. MAP sensor would be appropriate...
I will have the UTEC MAP sensor hooked up of course...don't get me wrong, I am not going to try to use the MAF sensor for boost!
Old 08-07-2009, 09:41 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will have the UTEC MAP sensor hooked up of course...don't get me wrong, I am not going to try to use the MAF sensor for boost!
On my setup we elimiated the MAF sensor. We used the F-Con to feed a dummy voltage back into the ECU to keep the check engine light from illuminating. I'm not sure if you can do this with the UTEC, though.

If you do eliminate the MAF sensor, don't throw it away. They are expensive and you may be able to sell it.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:43 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

MAF is more accurate and consistent and I would prefer to run it when its an option, which depends on power level etc. I also prefer to run it before turbo... and having the car run weird if you get an intake leak is an advantage rather than a disadvantage IMHO... i would rather myself or a customer know there is a leak so that it can be fixed immediately.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:41 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by phunk
MAF is more accurate and consistent and I would prefer to run it when its an option, which depends on power level etc. I also prefer to run it before turbo... and having the car run weird if you get an intake leak is an advantage rather than a disadvantage IMHO... i would rather myself or a customer know there is a leak so that it can be fixed immediately.
MAF definitely is more accurate and consistent. Will version 3.3 of the F-CON work exclusively with a MAF sensor in lieu of a MAP sensor?

If you put the MAF sensor before the turbo, the sensor readings would not be accurate during shifts (assuming you use a BOV). I wonder if this would create any issues.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:00 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

the fcon has preset calibrations for factory airflow meters.. i never looked to see if you could set it up for a custom one... but since the sensor output will be a 0-5v im sure it wouldnt really matter. the fcon can also support dual MAF inputs since it has a PnP application for the RB26 GTR. I actually picked up another Z33 MAF sensor a couple years ago with intentions on running twin stock MAFs... never got around to it
Old 08-07-2009, 09:18 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by phunk
the fcon has preset calibrations for factory airflow meters.. i never looked to see if you could set it up for a custom one... but since the sensor output will be a 0-5v im sure it wouldnt really matter. the fcon can also support dual MAF inputs since it has a PnP application for the RB26 GTR. I actually picked up another Z33 MAF sensor a couple years ago with intentions on running twin stock MAFs... never got around to it
I found this:

http://www.350zmod.com/ProductDetail...HPX+VQ35DEMMAF

The description says that it is capable of supporting over 1000WHP. So, I'm wondering if I can use this in my new build and have my F-CON V Pro tuned around mass air flow rather than MAP/RPM.

Has anybody played with tuning the F-CON using MAF instead of MAP/RPM on a high hp build (GTM 4.0L stroker with a GTM stage 3 TT setup)? If so, please post your experiences.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 08-07-2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:12 AM
tig488

on other cars, ive had much more success using a blow thru maf setup. pull thru had idle and off throttle issues.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:35 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

that is true... i was actually under the misconception for a very long time that MAF readings were not entirely correct when blow-thru... which turns out I was wrong according to sources i have spoken with more recently... and I guess I am still just used to thinking that way.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:56 PM
mx594

Well I will be doing it blow through then.

ttg35fort - I have never seen that MAF sensor before. It sounds like that might be the key to using the Orsiris for boost. I guess I need to do more research, the Orsiris is starting to look more attractive now. Is there any way to use that MAF with the UTEC, so that I dont have to use a MAP sensor at all?
Old 08-09-2009, 09:14 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Well I will be doing it blow through then.

ttg35fort - I have never seen that MAF sensor before. It sounds like that might be the key to using the Orsiris for boost. I guess I need to do more research, the Orsiris is starting to look more attractive now. Is there any way to use that MAF with the UTEC, so that I dont have to use a MAP sensor at all?
I'm not sure. I have never played with the UTEC. But if the UTEC will accept air flow as an air input monitoring parameter, I don't see why not.

Yesterday I spoke with Roger (Japtrix) about using that MAF sensor with the F-Con. He thinks it might work, but is recommending against it at this time. As he puts it, let the manufacturer do some R & D builds to prove that it works well. Why risk my new motor ($$$$$) on a product that is yet unproven for the HP I will be running. Considering how much money I have at stake, I completely agree.

Now, if the manufacturer of the HPX MAF sensor wants to discuss sponsoring some R & D on a high HP build, I am open to discussions.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 08-09-2009 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:37 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by ttg35fort
I found this:

http://www.350zmod.com/ProductDetail...HPX+VQ35DEMMAF

The description says that it is capable of supporting over 1000WHP. So, I'm wondering if I can use this in my new build and have my F-CON V Pro tuned around mass air flow rather than MAP/RPM.

Has anybody played with tuning the F-CON using MAF instead of MAP/RPM on a high hp build (GTM 4.0L stroker with a GTM stage 3 TT setup)? If so, please post your experiences.
5xx whp was highest number that i heard from jared( with that MAF sensor/osiris tuned) I'm sure SAM@GTM has better idea, since you have GTM stroker plus they have an experience tuned with that sensor/osiris also with Fcon.

Quick Reply: Preferred MAF Sensor Location w/Turbo - Before or After Turbo?