Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

2 step launch control

Old 09-24-2009, 09:25 PM
Bwicked

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 step launch control

Wanted to see if anyone had a review or opinion on the following modules for thier boosted 350z.

1) http://www.kptechnologies.com/produc...san&model=350Z

2) http://www.npcompleteperformance.com/wotbox

Have only seen a video of #2. Heard of both products on these boards though.
I'm currently running a UTEC. Would these be able to install easily without any problems alongside the UTEC? Both allow the car to build boost @ the line and while WOT hold a certain rpm correct?

any idea on the "no lift" feature. seems funky thanks!
Old 09-24-2009, 09:43 PM
redman333

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting, never even heard of the wot box. I've heard of 2 step before though.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:25 AM
Ep3

n2mb is big with ms3 and srt4 guys ive used one in a ms3 it works but could be improved upon. the kp one is a member here if im not mistaken when i was lookng for one for my z i pmed him with some questions and he was reluctant to answer or help.. to his defense the product was still being devoloped (by him) maby he did not know the answers to my ? yet but i got no response.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:28 AM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm waiting for UPREV to make it work with there reflash.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:42 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If all goes well, I will be having the launch control, traction control and flat shift features hooked up over the winter on the new ViPEC EMS I will be running. It also has anti-lag for turbos, but can limit turbo life substantially.

It should be a worthwhile experiment to see it these features are really functional.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:27 AM
terps

I'm intrested in this as well, but am wondering if tune would need to be adjusted or if this would just act like traction control cutting in and pulling timing? Any tuner out there know. I feel like with a halteck or other high end ems would compensate but what about us utec guys?
Old 09-25-2009, 04:39 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I have the wot box. I have only messed around a bit on the street with it and traction is limited. It works as described. I have mine set at 4 grand and I make about 5.5-6 psi of boost. Attempting to launch at this RPM just gives an excessive amount of wheel spin.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:43 AM
thom000001

Brandon face it, you are just SLOWWWWWWWW!!!!!

ha, jk.

Tom
Old 09-25-2009, 07:34 AM
KPierson
Banned

Here is some more info (and a video) of the KPtech unit on a JWT TT: https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...ft-module.html

A retune won't be needed to add one of these boxes. The KPtech unit does allow you to build boost while at the line and can easily be programmed to any RPM you want (without accessing the module). I am currently running the two step / flat shift module on my UTEC controlled APS TT G35

The KPtech module works by randomly cutting coil outputs so there is no spark in that particular cylinder. There is no fuel cut, and because of this we only recomend these on cars with test pipes. They can be used with cats as long as you keep it short and dont' do it very often. Otherwise, you will greatly reduce the life of your cats.

Ep3, I appologize if I didn't answer all your questions, while we were developing this module we were getting tons and tons of PMs and Emails about it and we weren't able to respond to them all.

The KPtech unit is available in three forms - 2 step, flat shift, and 2 step with flat shift. The flat shift feature is pretty cool once you get used to it. It basically allows you to shift the tranny without closing the throttle plate (again by cutting the ignition). We are running a 370Z promotion for 20% off all the products on our site if you use the code "370Z" through 9/27/2009!
Old 09-25-2009, 10:53 AM
Bwicked

Originally Posted by KPierson
Here is some more info (and a video) of the KPtech unit on a JWT TT: https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...ft-module.html

A retune won't be needed to add one of these boxes. The KPtech unit does allow you to build boost while at the line and can easily be programmed to any RPM you want (without accessing the module). I am currently running the two step / flat shift module on my UTEC controlled APS TT G35

The KPtech module works by randomly cutting coil outputs so there is no spark in that particular cylinder. There is no fuel cut, and because of this we only recomend these on cars with test pipes. They can be used with cats as long as you keep it short and dont' do it very often. Otherwise, you will greatly reduce the life of your cats.

Ep3, I appologize if I didn't answer all your questions, while we were developing this module we were getting tons and tons of PMs and Emails about it and we weren't able to respond to them all.

The KPtech unit is available in three forms - 2 step, flat shift, and 2 step with flat shift. The flat shift feature is pretty cool once you get used to it. It basically allows you to shift the tranny without closing the throttle plate (again by cutting the ignition). We are running a 370Z promotion for 20% off all the products on our site if you use the code "370Z" through 9/27/2009!
Great writeup. Thank you. Pm sent
Old 09-30-2009, 06:00 PM
scout35316

I have the n2mb wot bot. Install was easy. Stage at 3k and make about 2 psi of boost, and flat foot work just like they said they would . I am still a Utec guy and have had no issues with this unit at all. Bang for the buck I would say go for it if it is something you feel your Z is lacking. Now with that being said. Do I use it much , umm not so much. Wheel spin is an issue. Flat foot shift I use much more.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:05 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

I had the WOT box on my JWT kit with a split second box it worked great I loved it the flat shift is sweet. I have a Vi-PEC now and it has those features already so I sold it to a buddy with a Haltech it works well for him to he let me drive it and both features worked well with the Haltech. I think it was well worth the money I used it for over a year with no issues.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:09 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

never needed a module for flat shift before but im sure its a nice precaution. launch control is nice.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:28 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would guess that 90% of people cant use the WOT boxes to their true potential. Shifting "slow" while having engine power cut back is no better than shifting normally.

Originally Posted by phunk
never needed a module for flat shift before
I hear ya!
Old 10-02-2009, 07:01 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
I would guess that 90% of people cant use the WOT boxes to their true potential. Shifting "slow" while having engine power cut back is no better than shifting normally.
I think the point of WOT box is to hold boost between shifts without having to bang the rev limiter.

'Normal' clutch shifting you would lose boost.

Flat foot shifting without a WOT box could cause shifting to be harder on the syncros (or to engage) since you spike the rpm while shifting.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:54 AM
Midnight_Slide

These still available?
Old 01-08-2012, 04:35 AM
GreenGoblin

I have a brand new one I never installed from kp. Pm me
Old 01-08-2012, 05:03 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You can still buy them direct from KP technologies website. I bought one a few weeks ago.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:15 PM
nathanwl2004

would the kp tech device work with uprev?
Old 01-09-2012, 06:31 PM
f150intally

I bought the KP Tech device and had it installed on my HR by Z1 Motorsports. It was a bish to install because the instructions were intended for the DE. I haven't effectively used it yet because I have the street tires. Tested it in the driveway and pissed my wife off in the house. It works OK but doesn't hold the revs as steady as it does on the YouTube video. The rpm bounces pretty inconsistently. I will try to make a movie and upload.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2 step launch control