Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Built Motor + Greddy Twins + Osiris = A good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 06:53 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris@FsP
I see what you are saying, but it doesn't work like that. Without that lower line connected, there is no boost signal to overcome the force of the spring, therefore the gate would remain closed until boost built up so much that the exhaust pressure itself started to open the gate, but by that time you've most likely doubled your desired boost pressure.
I did some further research. Both Raj and Chris appear to be correct, while my assumptions were not. Other sources I have consulted indicate that on the poppet type WG pressure is required on the lower side of the poppet valve for the spring to allow the wastegate to open properly.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:04 AM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whoa, you're a mod now? Congrats!
Old 11-02-2009, 07:50 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

^^^

Thank you!
Old 11-02-2009, 08:26 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by westpak
I am just saying that my e01 can be set up to cut boost if it exceeds a programmed setting, is that a "good boost controller"
No because even if it sets target boost to 0, it may no longer be able to control boost (due to a mechanical mishap). Only a fuel or ignition cut can save the motor...
Old 11-02-2009, 09:33 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratz for being a mod. I am really surprised someone that has only been here a year or a hair more became a mod. lol
Old 11-02-2009, 10:25 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Why you jealous?
Ttg35fork helped a lot in this forum and members.(yes, in that short time period.) How many years you hang around on this forum? And have you help other forum members?

Originally Posted by SOLO-350Z
Congratz for being a mod. I am really surprised someone that has only been here a year or a hair more became a mod. lol
Congrat ttg35!
Old 11-02-2009, 04:57 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally Posted by rcdash
No because even if it sets target boost to 0, it may no longer be able to control boost (due to a mechanical mishap). Only a fuel or ignition cut can save the motor...
oh come on, what if the moon falls out of the sky? want more scenarios?

Have a good install, make sure lines are away from heat and just check the install once in a while and and keep an eye on things all the time to catch any issues.

You realize that for your scenario to happen you would need a failure right at the time you are doing max boost? if you start to have a leak in a line you will notice it, vacuum wont be steady, you will probably hear it........
Old 11-02-2009, 05:20 PM
rcdash

^^^ I don't think it's that far fetched (a boost reference line coming off at WOT, max boost). OEMs employ overboost failsafes for a reason.

No big deal. Folks can decide on what precautions they want to employ. I've said that I've personally never heard of a motor blown from a boost spike, but that doesn't diminish the theoretical risk.

Last edited by rcdash; 11-02-2009 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:39 PM
IslandZavage

Congrats on MOD Terry!!!! (self-edited)

Last edited by IslandZavage; 11-02-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:43 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by IslandZavage
Congrats on MOD Terry!!!!
Thanks Paco.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:07 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Chef-J
^yes. I do disagree with your list. Lol@Just throwing out top brand name. But everyone has diff taste. So forget it.
Ahh HKS just don't do it for me... if I wanted a shop to do 100% of the car for me and do a turnkey thing, then I would like HKS. But not being able to modify maps at all seems a bit weak ... I know our new mod likes hks Fcon! (grats broski ). Im not saying i'm better than a certified HKS tuner is, i'm just saying why pay top $ just to get denied a fairly basic feature...
Old 11-02-2009, 08:03 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by Resmarted
Ahh HKS just don't do it for me... if I wanted a shop to do 100% of the car for me and do a turnkey thing, then I would like HKS. But not being able to modify maps at all seems a bit weak ... I know our new mod likes hks Fcon! (grats broski ). Im not saying i'm better than a certified HKS tuner is, i'm just saying why pay top $ just to get denied a fairly basic feature...
Thank you!

I have HKS F-CON because I considered it the best option for my build when I started down this path nearly 2 years ago. At that time, I think the Haltech was fairly new and we were waiting for some significant updates. Since then, some of these updates have happened. Also, when I started I had never heard of the Vi-PEC.

If I were starting today, not only would I look at the F-CON, but I would also give serious consideration both to the Haltech and the Vi-PEC. Without doing an in-depth comparison, I don't know which one I would choose at this point in time. imo, these all appear to be very good EMS's, and I probably would be happy with any one of them. I was not happy, however, when HKS stopped making analog gauges. Now I have all the sensors, but I need the CAMP2 to use them. Just one more expense I have not yet got around to jumping into.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:09 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by ttg35fort
Thank you!

I have HKS F-CON because I considered it the best option for my build when I started down this path nearly 2 years ago. At that time, I think the Haltech was fairly new and we were waiting for some significant updates. Since then, some of these updates have happened. Also, when I started I had never heard of the Vi-PEC.

If I were starting today, not only would I look at the F-CON, but I would also give serious consideration both to the Haltech and the Vi-PEC. Without doing an in-depth comparison, I don't know which one I would choose at this point in time. imo, these all appear to be very good EMS's, and I probably would be happy with any one of them. I was not happy, however, when HKS stopped making analog gauges. Now I have all the sensors, but I need the CAMP2 to use them. Just one more expense I have not yet got around to jumping into.
I can see how you chose the Fcon now, that seems like a really good choice (at that time). Haltech is a good management system, but new applications always can cause problems. I'm not at all familiar with vipec (or hydra) tbh so i cant give any opinions on them.
If I could afford any ecu and tune I'd probably go Motec though but haltech would be a very close second...... alongside AEM.

That sounds like teh suck with the camp2 though... HKS makes some "dope" products but every once in a while they come out with some total B.S. (Speaking of HKS, I was almost considering doing jwt exhaust manifolds and fmic with twin hks gt2540r, but the price..... )

Anyway back to thread topic, I found a nice nice nice nice gauge to go with osiris; the DM200 obdII by plx devices... what do you guys think? I think I will try it out, 60mm should fit in the stock cluster... alongside a dedicated AEM A/F and the neato oem mph/mpg gauge
Old 11-03-2009, 04:58 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chef-J
Why you jealous?
Ttg35fork helped a lot in this forum and members.(yes, in that short time period.) How many years you hang around on this forum? And have you help other forum members?

Congrat ttg35!

Many others have helped way more than someone that has been here just a year. I use to do a ton of DIY back in 2004-2005 and even when I got the new Z I did as well. Many have contributed.

I am glad he got it, it is just kinda strange they picked someone so new. I have run many sites for years (since 1995) and would never pick someone that new.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:14 AM
captj3

Terry congrats your status being raised to a MOD.

Solo350z if you new ttg35fort personally you would understand why they made him a mod.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:18 AM
rcdash

Originally Posted by Resmarted
I can see how you chose the Fcon now, that seems like a really good choice (at that time). Haltech is a good management system, but new applications always can cause problems. I'm not at all familiar with vipec (or hydra) tbh so i cant give any opinions on them.
If I could afford any ecu and tune I'd probably go Motec though but haltech would be a very close second...... alongside AEM.
When you don't have application specific support, it just isn't practical to implement. I've only heard of rare exceptions to the rule. Gurgen implemented Motec (hard wired!) and a few race teams, but that's it. What are you going to do after soldering 100 wires and it doesn't work?

The best thing going for the Haltech isn't the EMS itself (though it's a solid unit). It is Hal and Injected Performance that back up every unit out there, supporting end users and pro tuners alike. After sale support is key.

EDIT: The same can be said for Osiris. Jared, Matt, and the other folks at UpRev provide outstanding support. I own both and have asked many questions of both UpRev and IP. Both provide excellent support.

Last edited by rcdash; 11-03-2009 at 07:59 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:37 AM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by rcdash

The best thing going for the Haltech isn't the EMS itself (though it's a solid unit). It is Hal and Injected Performance that back up every unit out there, supporting end users and pro tuners alike. After sale support is key.
+1. Hal and the rest of the guys at IP have been great to work with.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:23 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by captj3
Terry congrats your status being raised to a MOD.

Solo350z if you new ttg35fort personally you would understand why they made him a mod.
Thank you, Jeff!!!!!!
Old 11-03-2009, 10:25 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by ttg35fort
Thank you, Jeff!!!!!!
You should open a new thread!!! mang!
Old 11-03-2009, 10:28 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by SOLO-350Z
Many others have helped way more than someone that has been here just a year. I use to do a ton of DIY back in 2004-2005 and even when I got the new Z I did as well. Many have contributed.

I am glad he got it, it is just kinda strange they picked someone so new. I have run many sites for years (since 1995) and would never pick someone that new.
It doesn't really matter " how long ", it's matter with person really wants to stand for " my350z forum " If you not happy, you should contact to mod about it. Well this is getting way off from toppic.

Back to OP's Q.

Quick Reply: Built Motor + Greddy Twins + Osiris = A good idea?