Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Built Motor + Greddy Twins + Osiris = A good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 08:20 PM
350Z400rwhp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Built Motor + Greddy Twins + Osiris = A good idea?

I have done some research on the Osiris and it seems to be fine for N/A and for stock block FI applications but I haven't seen much of the Osiris being used for high boost and built motors. Seems like the MAF is a limiting factor. I have a friend who has a G35 that he has built the motor, got a 20g Greddy kit, Twin Pump, CJ Motorsports fuel return and I'm not quite sure of the injectors he is using. A local tuner here is recommending using Osiris to do his tune. What do you guys think? I don't really know much about Osiris and it's capabilities and want to be able to give him some good advice.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:21 PM
deanfootlong

haltech.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:46 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

More and more people are using an ECU re-flash in lieu of an EMS, and are having good luck with it. You are limited by the stock MAF sensor. However, somebody makes an aftermarket MAF sensor which is supposed to be good up to 1000 hp. I don't recall the name, but I have posted links to the site in other threads. If you search on the term MAF and my screen name you should be able to find it. This is not to say you should use a re-flash up to 1000 hp. If his tuner is experienced with Osiris, and is recommending it, I think it is definitely worth looking into. It won't have all of the features of an EMS such as the Haltech or F-CON, but then it won't cost as much either.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 10-27-2009 at 08:51 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:55 PM
350Z400rwhp

Originally Posted by ttg35fort
More and more people are using an ECU re-flash in lieu of an EMS, and are having good luck with it. You are limited by the stock MAF sensor. However, somebody makes an aftermarket MAF sensor which is supposed to be good up to 1000 hp. I don't recall the name, but I have posted links to the site in other threads. If you search on the term MAF and my screen name you should be able to find it. This is not to say you should use a re-flash up to 1000 hp. If his tuner is experienced with Osiris, and is recommending it, I think it is definitely worth looking into. It won't have all of the features of an EMS such as the Haltech or F-CON, but then it won't cost as much either.
I did that search, do any of these threads ring a bell ttg35? https://my350z.com/forum/search.php?searchid=10034710

Thanks.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:11 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Uprev has the bigger MAF, I got one and was going to try Osiris but have to change injectors back to high impedance and one of the 800cc DW injectors I got was bad so I put the project on the back burner after a frustrating day chasing a fuel problem with the DW's

I am about to try again once I decide on injectors as I wont try DW after that debacle
Old 10-27-2009, 09:22 PM
350Z400rwhp

Also, can he run a pump gas map and a race gas map or would he be limited to just one tune?
Old 10-27-2009, 09:24 PM
westpak
SFZCC

if he has cruise control he can switch between 5 maps with the cruise buttons
Old 10-27-2009, 09:30 PM
350Z400rwhp

Originally Posted by westpak
if he has cruise control he can switch between 5 maps with the cruise buttons
That's pretty cool!
Old 10-28-2009, 02:01 AM
marra23

Chef-J is selling an HPX sensor here
https://my350z.com/forum/turbos-nitr...-for-sale.html
Old 10-28-2009, 03:27 AM
BrazenZ

I started out with the Haltech which ran great at WOT, but starting hot or cold, numerous CELs on a daily basis, and part throttle hiccups, I decided to UPRev a try. They replaced MAF unit with a larger unit, calibrated it, and tuned the engine for 3 hrs. for a grand total of $750 (I already had purchased Cipher/Osiris). The engine runs great, no Cels, no part throttle hiccups. I couldn't be happier.

Last edited by BrazenZ; 10-28-2009 at 03:30 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:41 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by 350Z400rwhp
I did that search, do any of these threads ring a bell ttg35? https://my350z.com/forum/search.php?searchid=10034710

Thanks.
The link did not work for me, but Marra23 reminded me that it was HPX. Here is the unit I was speaking about: http://www.350zmod.com/HPX-MAF-Senso...vq35demmaf.htm

Apparently Chef-J has one up for sale for $180. Chef-J is an active forum member, so it is worth looking into.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:05 AM
CeBrwn5454

Yeah if you are thinking about a built motor, twins and Osiris you will have to get a HPX PMAS. Like everyone has already said it is good up to the 1000hp mark. Chef-J is selling his for a HUGE discount from what they cost if you purchase one through Uprev...so jump on that.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:30 AM
350Z400rwhp

Thanks everyone! Chef ,you may have a buyer on that MAF. I will let him know about it. I will see if I can get some dyno videos and post them on here so we can have something to watch when we are bored at work
Old 10-28-2009, 05:24 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

drawbacks for Osiris on big HP builds off the top of my head

No 'real' knock protection/retard
No overboost protection
Can't use low-impedance injectors

If it weren't for the first two, I would have definitely gone for it.

Will it drive good with Osiris? It should.

Are you willing to risk your built block over the relatively small difference in price between a haltech and osiris? When you price the MAF and all other costs of the Osiris tuning process, it isn't as cheap as you think.

It seems like alot of smaller shops are really pushing Osiris...it's a helluvalot easier for them to setup and tune, that's for sure. Makes me wonder.

Last edited by djamps; 10-28-2009 at 05:29 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:40 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by CeBrwn5454
Yeah if you are thinking about a built motor, twins and Osiris you will have to get a HPX PMAS. Like everyone has already said it is good up to the 1000hp mark. Chef-J is selling his for a HUGE discount from what they cost if you purchase one through Uprev...so jump on that.
New is $224. Chef-J's is $180. So it's about a 20% discount.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:54 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by djamps

No overboost protection

Are you willing to risk your built block over the relatively small difference in price between a haltech and osiris? When you price the MAF and all other costs of the Osiris tuning process, it isn't as cheap as you think.

It seems like alot of smaller shops are really pushing Osiris...it's a helluvalot easier for them to setup and tune, that's for sure. Makes me wonder.
EDIT: I thought I agreed with your drawback conclusions, but the first two have been shown to be unjustified in the subsequent posts herein. First, the ECU does include real knock detection. Second, you should not need overboost protection if you have a properly configured wastegate and boost controller. In fact, I have an HKS F-CON V Pro, and I don't believe it has overboost protection. I could be wrong about this, only the tuners have the software. But I have never heard of overboost protection feature being discussed with regard to the F-CON. The boost control is handled by the EVC.

From what I have seen, it's not as easy to do a re-flash tune as it is to tune using an F-CON. I have never seen anyone tune a Haltech, so I cannot opine to that comparison.

Also, you have to pay for the tune either way. So, the costs you should be comparing is the cost of the Osiris or Cobb license and the MAF sensor as compared to an EMS and MAP sensor. That is pretty significant. A Haltech is up around $2,000 (does it include the MAP sensor?). An F-CON V Pro does not include the knock amp or MAP sensor. By the time you add these, you are well north of $2,000.

In this economy, everyone is looking to save a buck, including people who are building their motors. When somebody calls up a shop and starts bitching and moaning about the price, it makes perfect sense for the shop to recommend a re-flash. Those who are not pushing their builds to the bleeding edge don't necessarily need all of the bells and whistles provided by the EMS's.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 10-30-2009 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:29 AM
thom000001

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1000

I want an EMS that can monitor and stop the stuff that will cause huge failure

tom

Originally Posted by djamps

No overboost protection

Old 10-28-2009, 07:33 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by thom000001
+1000

I want an EMS that can monitor and stop the stuff that will cause huge failure

tom

I have all that - FCon V Pro, AFK, all the sensors, etc., etc. But then again, I am pushing the motor hard and I'm not trying to shave every possible dollar off the cost of my build. For my 750 whp build now underway, I am implementing every safety feature I can think of, and not only on the electronics side. I also have a billet girdle, billet main caps, ceramic coating on the pistons, valves, combustion chamber, ports, etc., etc. If I only wanted a 400 - 500 whp build, however, I would have no problem using Cobb or Osiris.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 10-28-2009 at 07:37 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:38 AM
thom000001

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree,

For a stock motor, osiris/cobb should be fine....when you start making power though, going to big injectors, have tons of airflow going on.....you need more

tom

Originally Posted by ttg35fort
I have all that - FCon V Pro, AFK, all the sensors, etc., etc. But then again, I am pushing the motor hard and I'm not trying to shave every possible dollar off the cost of my build. For my 750 whp build now underway, I am implementing every safety feature I can think of, and not only on the electronics side. I also have a billet girdle, billet main caps, ceramic coating on the pistons, valves, combustion chamber, ports, etc., etc. If I only wanted a 400 - 500 whp build, however, I would have no problem using Cobb or Osiris.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:07 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by westpak
Uprev has the bigger MAF, I got one and was going to try Osiris but have to change injectors back to high impedance and one of the 800cc DW injectors I got was bad so I put the project on the back burner after a frustrating day chasing a fuel problem with the DW's

I am about to try again once I decide on injectors as I wont try DW after that debacle
That is the first time I have heard of a bad DW injector. That sucks.

Westpack, in another thread we are discussing 50/50 meth injection vs. straight meth. It is my understanding that at one time Japtrix/HP Logic did some testing regarding this. I don't know if it was Jack or Roger on the dyno at the time. Next time you talk to Jack, can you ask if that was him. If so, maybe he can chime in with his thoughts. Here is the link:

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...injection.html

Thank you!

Quick Reply: Built Motor + Greddy Twins + Osiris = A good idea?