Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Holy Hell!!! New GT Supercharger Price!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 10:33 AM
sfarrah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Resolute
I would be very grateful if you found time later on to share your thoughts about how well this kit has worked for you on the road course, and how well the Osiris has worked out for tuning. Reliability, drivability, ease of install, tuning issues, things you'd do differently... any information you can share after you've run it ragged would be awesome.

By any chance, did you happen to weigh the kit before install, or perhaps you might get your car weighed at an event which will allow you to determine how much it increased the front end weight?
Will
I took my time with the install and it likely took longer than normal as I swapped injectors, snapped a bolt on the middle intake and had to source a stock crank pulley to replace the UR pulley that was on there. Because I didn't install the full kit I didn't always follow the instructions step by step and at one point missed a bracket that keeps the coolant line away from the belt. Had to remove the main belt to get it installed, so that was the only thing I had to redo that I can think of. I also installed the oil reservoir in the stock battery location instead of up front, so had to get some longer hoses and reroute a few things.

I weighed the two boxes and they were 65-70 lbs I think so my guess is you're looking at adding 50 lbs or so to the nose of the car once it's all said and done. I'd have to weigh the empty boxes and parts replaced to know for sure.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:57 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

too bad your brother never raced my Vortech G35, or Oldman350z, tylerfx, or PharmD

a 108mph trap Vortech is weak sauce as hell and its not representative of a properly tuned stock block supercharged car.

[QUOTE=J's 350z!;8087032]
Originally Posted by thatv35guy
Plus I saw my brother (PowerLab 350Z on 6 psi) run a friend's Vortech G35 and it wasn't pretty (PL Z is trapping 116+ and the Vortech G is at 108)...kind of turned me off the Vortech kit, lol
Old 01-25-2010, 12:35 PM
thatv35guy

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by str8dum1
too bad your brother never raced my Vortech G35, or Oldman350z, tylerfx, or PharmD

a 108mph trap Vortech is weak sauce as hell and its not representative of a properly tuned stock block supercharged car.
Yeah, I see your G35 has gone 12.3 @ 116, no doubt that’s impressive, curious what your WHP was at the time?

The Vortech G35 in question is putting down somewhere between 360-380 whp (AT, bolt-on’s, tune, and 4.08 gears)...the turbo Z is around 360 whp (6 psi) and a little more torque. I’ll be installing my PowerLab kit in the next few months...so if you’re ever down in AZ...

Not doubting the performance a Vortech Z, not a bad route at all, I just wanted the extra torque that comes from a turbo VQ.

Edit: Sorry for going off topic...

Last edited by thatv35guy; 01-25-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:44 PM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sfarrah
Plan is to run ST3, so all I can run is 325rwhp on dot r's and 300 on slicks (assuming a 3200 lb race weight), which should keep me in a safe power level for the stock internals.

Dyno session was a bust as it pegged the stock maf and we ran out of injectors. Replaced the maf while it was still strapped on the dyno but then ran out of injectors. MAF couldn't be in a worse location-not sure what HKS was thinking. Will be replacing the 440's tonight with 650's and going back to Uprev in the morning. Car was hitting 9psi on the stock pulley, which is more than expected.
Might need to use an intake restrictor to get the power down to where it needs to be, but I'll find out tomorrow.
Anyone who's thinking of ditching the piggyback and extra injectors are advised to get injectors larger than 440's and a pmas.

I'll do a full writeup on how the kit performs after I get it on the track. First race is this weekend at MSR-Houston and barring anymore hiccups I should be there giving the car a full workout.
Are you using a HKS GT SC "out of the box" or were there any other upgrades to the blowerpulley? Stock should be ~6 psi. I also though the HKS SC ran off of a MAP sensor, not a MAF
Old 01-25-2010, 01:10 PM
sfarrah

Originally Posted by jonnylaw
Are you using a HKS GT SC "out of the box" or were there any other upgrades to the blowerpulley? Stock should be ~6 psi. I also though the HKS SC ran off of a MAP sensor, not a MAF
I'm using larger injectors and Osiris to tune the car instead of the FCON and additional injectors in the intake plenum. I'm just using the regular pulleys that come with the base kit. GTM website says 6 psi for the stage zero but other descriptions say base is 7psi.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:03 PM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

Wow, you ran out of MAF?!? And injectors ?!?! 440cc injectors should be way more than enough for 325whp. The stock MAF should be able to handle 9 psi without any problems too no?
That seems a bit odd.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:14 PM
thatv35guy

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by ReV2Red
Wow, you ran out of MAF?!? And injectors ?!?! 440cc injectors should be way more than enough for 325whp. The stock MAF should be able to handle 9 psi without any problems too no?
That seems a bit odd.
Not sure about the injectors but the MAF might have had issues due to the placement of it in the HKS supercharger.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:04 PM
kelly350Z

Default just got mine

Yeah!! Just picked mine up today. I plan on starting the install tomorrow. For now, the full kit will be installed as per the instructions. I also dynoed my car today for some before-and-after comparisons.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:24 AM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The more I have read about this kit, it seems to be a good choice. Especially for tracking the car, but again depending on what class you are wanting to be in.

If you have high hp goals though, I don't see why you would even consider this kit, unless it is because of price.

What is a PL kit running these days anyway? 6k?
Old 01-26-2010, 07:28 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruthless18x
The more I have read about this kit, it seems to be a good choice. Especially for tracking the car, but again depending on what class you are wanting to be in.

If you have high hp goals though, I don't see why you would even consider this kit, unless it is because of price.

What is a PL kit running these days anyway? 6k?
http://www.intensepower.com/pogttukit350.html
http://www.intensepower.com/pogttukit3501.html

They might have a special for my350z members but not sure.. Not a cheap kit at all!
Old 01-26-2010, 02:26 PM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

Any updates sfarrah? Did you find out anything about the injectors and MAF maxing out?
Old 01-26-2010, 02:53 PM
sfarrah

Originally Posted by ReV2Red
Any updates sfarrah? Did you find out anything about the injectors and MAF maxing out?
No dice today. Jared was sick so it should be done sometime tomorrow. Running out of time to get ready for the race this weekend!
Old 01-30-2010, 02:21 PM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

Any updates?
Old 01-30-2010, 05:59 PM
DaProdigy

I want!
Old 02-03-2010, 01:46 PM
sfarrah

Car went back on the Dyno at Uprev last Wed, the max it put down was 345rwhp at ~9psi with a stock intake plenum. Even with the larger Deatschwerks 650 injectors and the fuel pump supplied with the HKS kit, the car was running out of fuel at the top end on the high hp run. Jared installed a Walbro for me before he could finish the tuning.

Jared managed to create 3 ECU maps for me, in addition to the 345rwhp tune, he also created a 320rwhp tune and a 295rwhp tune that I can switch between depending on what class I run and what tires are on the car. I'll have to get the dyno charts and vids uploaded so I can post them up but instead of taking out power everywhere, he flattened out the top end to limit the hp to what I needed but kept the low-mid range the same so I would have the biggest area under the curve possible for each tune. This was exactly what I wanted when I purchased the kit and decided to tune solely with Osiris.

Later that night we installed SPL's new eccentric lockout kits on the rear suspension because I kept having the rear eccentric bolts slip on me last season. SPL did a fresh string alignment on the car, and I was off to Houston for the NASA race on Friday. I missed the Friday practice session due to weather so it didn't see the track till Sat am. I will do a comprehensive writeup on the event in the Road Race/AutoX forum when I get a chance, but a quick recap is 4 wins in ST3 and no mechanical issues with the supercharger whatsoever. Car pulled strong with a very predictable and easy to drive powerband. Unfortunately there was only Rob Lay in his 355 Challenge car in class with me, but I was thrilled with how the car performed all weekend and being able to take the win against a very competent car and driver. I dropped a full 3.5 seconds in my fastest lap to a 1:41.913 vs a 1:45.397 last year! Had a lot of fast cars show up (5 Ferraris, a couple Vipers, Porsche cup cars etc) and I had some great racing against Rob's Ferrari. So nice to finally not be handicapped by low horsepower.

Thank you so much Jared and Rich at Uprev for getting the car tuned up last minute and of course Kuah at SPL for helping me with the install and alignment/suspension setup. Can't wait for the next race at MSR-Cresson in March.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:14 PM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

Awesome! Congrats on the wins!
Its good to hear that the supercharger performed so well. I'm still a bit miffed as to why your running out of fuel with such big injectors. You should definitely have more room for power.
How about the MAF? Did that max out this time?
Old 02-03-2010, 02:59 PM
jonnylaw

Nice Numbers sfarrah, enjoy the new power!

Rev, I think the fuel issue is b/c I believe the HKS out of the box kit just comes with extra injectors (no upgraded fuel pump or regulator)--I'm guessing the stock fuel pump is good enough at 6 psi, but anything more and an upgraded fuel pump is a must, and I would recommend a return fuel system, but then again I would probably recommend a AFK amongst other things..

Regardless, congrads sfarrah!

Last edited by jonnylaw; 02-03-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:25 PM
Vas_Z33

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Thats odd that your running out of fuel with the 650s at only 345whp... was this with the walbro too?
Old 02-03-2010, 03:26 PM
Vas_Z33

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

in for videos!!
Old 02-03-2010, 04:02 PM
jonnylaw

Originally Posted by Vas_Z33
Thats odd that your running out of fuel with the 650s at only 345whp... was this with the walbro too?
His post seems to indicate that he was running out of fuel w/out the Walbro, so Jared installed one for him..

Quick Reply: Holy Hell!!! New GT Supercharger Price!