Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Holy Hell!!! New GT Supercharger Price!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 08:17 PM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm, with the increase in boost with the GTM upgrades, I wonder if a HKS racing bypass valve would be better suited for the setup than the standard one that is included in the complete kit. On the HKS website it says the standard is good for applications running ~300 whp, The racing does not mention whp but says it is for applications with 12-18 psi. I max out at ~12 psi and put down a little over 400whp...

Would the racing valve make any difference or should the standard one be able to handle flow twice the amount than the kit is shipped with?

http://www.hksusa.com/products/more.asp?id=761

"HKS Standard and Racing Bypass valves are push type valves that utilize calibrated spring pressure and vacuum line pressure to remain closed against the pressurized air in the charge pipe. As the throttle is closed, creating vacuum in the line, combined with the force of the pressurized air in the charge pipe, the bypass valve pushes opens and allows the pressurized air to escape. The HKS Standard Bypass Valves are adequate for the airflow associated with engines producing upwards of 300hp. HKS Racing Bypass Valves function similar to the Standard Bypass Valves, but incorporate an additional pressurized port to aid under severe boost conditions. The Racing Bypass Valve can also be used as a safety "pop-off" valve if the second port is connected to a pressure source that does not see vacuum. For added flexibility and function, HKS Racing Bypass Valves are offered in various adjustable boost pressure ranges that are determine by a specific spring pressure."

Last edited by jonnylaw; 01-21-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:18 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if you arent getting compressor surge when you let off the gas, there is no resaon to get a bigger BPV. releasing boost doesnt make more HP
Old 01-22-2010, 06:46 AM
jonnylaw

Originally Posted by str8dum1
if you arent getting compressor surge when you let off the gas, there is no resaon to get a bigger BPV. releasing boost doesnt make more HP

ahh..ok. How do you know if you are getting compressor surge?
Old 01-22-2010, 06:53 AM
str8dum1

you'd hear it. its a loud flutter. You woulda noticed it by now if you did. Its pretty distinct when you let off the gas
Old 01-22-2010, 08:34 AM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, still no dealers have chimed in.
What's up with GTM also, i've PM'd them and e-mailed them quite a few times now and i get no reply.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:16 AM
thatv35guy

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Has anyone purchased and received the HKS supercharger with the new pricing?

I was sooo close to pulling the trigger and ordering an HKS kit but I got a great deal on a PowerLab GT35R kit.

Last edited by thatv35guy; 01-23-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:17 AM
jonnylaw

Originally Posted by str8dum1
you'd hear it. its a loud flutter. You woulda noticed it by now if you did. Its pretty distinct when you let off the gas
hmm. I have always heard a loud flutter but mostly only after letting off the gas when in light throttle wout hard boost. I can only assume this flutter is normal for light throttle cruising but not for wot shifting or the like? Thx.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:04 PM
J's 350z!

Originally Posted by thatv35guy

I was sooo close to pulling the trigger and ordering an HKS kit but I got a great deal on a PowerLab GT35R kit.
Thats the kit that I want to get when I turbo my z. But I might get this HKS
Old 01-22-2010, 03:39 PM
sfarrah

Finished my install last night. Heading to Uprev tomorrow to get it tuned. Used RC 440's instead of the additional injectors that came with the kit. Not looking for huge numbers since the max I can run is 300-325 in my race class depending on what tires I run. Hoping this kit provides great area under the curve and nice tq.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:51 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by sfarrah
Finished my install last night. Heading to Uprev tomorrow to get it tuned. Used RC 440's instead of the additional injectors that came with the kit. Not looking for huge numbers since the max I can run is 300-325 in my race class depending on what tires I run. Hoping this kit provides great area under the curve and nice tq.
In for results....are you still going to run in st2?
Old 01-22-2010, 04:05 PM
TRYNALIVEPRO

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

lucky bastard lol, so it's you who purchased ORO's kit......
Old 01-22-2010, 05:41 PM
str8dum1

ya you'd hear it coming off full boost as your impeller slows down real fast. you r fine

Originally Posted by jonnylaw
hmm. I have always heard a loud flutter but mostly only after letting off the gas when in light throttle wout hard boost. I can only assume this flutter is normal for light throttle cruising but not for wot shifting or the like? Thx.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:05 PM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would be very grateful if you found time later on to share your thoughts about how well this kit has worked for you on the road course, and how well the Osiris has worked out for tuning. Reliability, drivability, ease of install, tuning issues, things you'd do differently... any information you can share after you've run it ragged would be awesome.

By any chance, did you happen to weigh the kit before install, or perhaps you might get your car weighed at an event which will allow you to determine how much it increased the front end weight? It seems to me that this supercharger might be the lightest FI option for those of us who care about keeping the pounds on the front end down, but no one has reported the weight.

Will
Old 01-23-2010, 04:20 AM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

^ Amen.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:22 AM
GT-ER

Originally Posted by Resolute
I would be very grateful if you found time later on to share your thoughts about how well this kit has worked for you on the road course, and how well the Osiris has worked out for tuning. Reliability, drivability, ease of install, tuning issues, things you'd do differently... any information you can share after you've run it ragged would be awesome.

By any chance, did you happen to weigh the kit before install, or perhaps you might get your car weighed at an event which will allow you to determine how much it increased the front end weight? It seems to me that this supercharger might be the lightest FI option for those of us who care about keeping the pounds on the front end down, but no one has reported the weight.

Will
I'm sure it's far lighter than a twin turbo setup.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:50 AM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Resolute

Will
Why would you worry about the weight difference, the torque from a turbo (single or twin) will make up for the difference in a hurry.

As a reference my turbo setup comes in at 120lbs. The turbo is the heaviest at about 27lbs, but is not in the front, it sits just behind the transmission.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:23 PM
thatv35guy

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by J's 350z!
Thats the kit that I want to get when I turbo my z. But I might get this HKS
I guess it depends on your overall goals, if you just want a little more power and never plan on building the motor the HKS would be a good choice; but if you're looking to make some serious power a turbo kit (especially the PowerLab kit) would probably be the best route. Plus I saw my brother (PowerLab 350Z on 6 psi) run a friend's Vortech G35 and it wasn't pretty (PL Z is trapping 116+ and the Vortech G is at 108)...kind of turned me off the Vortech kit, lol

Nice! Congrats on the recent boost! Please let us know how it goes and if you post up your impressions of the kit. How long did it take you to install it?

Originally Posted by TRYNALIVEPRO
lucky bastard lol, so it's you who purchased ORO's kit......
hahahaha, I lucked out, oro's about 15 minutes from my house, so I got a great deal on the kit...
Old 01-23-2010, 08:27 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

How'd it go?
Old 01-24-2010, 02:49 AM
J's 350z!

[QUOTE=thatv35guy;8086732]I guess it depends on your overall goals, if you just want a little more power and never plan on building the motor the HKS would be a good choice; but if you're looking to make some serious power a turbo kit (especially the PowerLab kit) would probably be the best route. Plus I saw my brother (PowerLab 350Z on 6 psi) run a friend's Vortech G35 and it wasn't pretty (PL Z is trapping 116+ and the Vortech G is at 108)...kind of turned me off the Vortech kit, lol

Ya I would love to turbo my car but its my daily driver. I know the supercharger isnt going to give as much power as the turbo will but I just want little more power. Who knows if I run across a good deal on a powerlab maybe i'll jump on that instead.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:24 AM
sfarrah

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
In for results....are you still going to run in st2?
Plan is to run ST3, so all I can run is 325rwhp on dot r's and 300 on slicks (assuming a 3200 lb race weight), which should keep me in a safe power level for the stock internals.

Dyno session was a bust as it pegged the stock maf and we ran out of injectors. Replaced the maf while it was still strapped on the dyno but then ran out of injectors. MAF couldn't be in a worse location-not sure what HKS was thinking. Will be replacing the 440's tonight with 650's and going back to Uprev in the morning. Car was hitting 9psi on the stock pulley, which is more than expected.
Might need to use an intake restrictor to get the power down to where it needs to be, but I'll find out tomorrow.
Anyone who's thinking of ditching the piggyback and extra injectors are advised to get injectors larger than 440's and a pmas.

I'll do a full writeup on how the kit performs after I get it on the track. First race is this weekend at MSR-Houston and barring anymore hiccups I should be there giving the car a full workout.

Quick Reply: Holy Hell!!! New GT Supercharger Price!