Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

a different fuel system question

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 10:44 PM
accordfreak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default a different fuel system question

I know most of the time people change out the intank pump for a walbro which is pretty sufficient for 550whp.

I can buy a intank no problem but I happen to have a inline walbro 255lph and filter lying around.

Will the inline walbro with the stock fuel pump, supply as much fuel as a normal walbro intank pump setup?

A diy return line and aeromotive FPR regulator will be used along with 750cc injectors and the Haltech to control the fuel.

thanks
Old 12-09-2009, 08:03 AM
frankie945

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing about a inline fuel pump. They are only triggered when you are under boost. I would just go with a walbro 255 lph in the tank. IMO
Old 12-09-2009, 08:45 AM
mx594

Will it provide more fuel than the stock pump alone? Yes. Will it provide as much as an in-tank Walbro? I don't know.

Once upon a time I installed an inline secondary fuel pump on my boosted Miata. On that car I was using a rising rate FPR to really jack up the fuel pressure when under boost to provide the extra fuel I needed - purely a mechanical means of adding fuel. I would see fuel pressures in excess of 100 psi on that setup under full boost. In this case, the secondary pump was necessary becuase the stock pump couldn't provide the pressure needed when the fuel system demanded it. Despite the fact that the secondary pump was running all the time I don't recall seeing an increase in idle fuel pressure even though the stock FPR was still in place.

One thing I do remember is that the secondary pump was noisy. I even wrapped it in foam and I could still hear it quite well inside the cabin. Not sure how loud an extrernal Walbro 255 would be on a G or a Z though.

Personally I think you would be fine using it as a secondary pump, but the more elegant and less failure-prone solution is definitely an in-tank setup.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:43 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

a walbro is only $85 shipped from Injected. you'll spend more than that and more importantly time tryin to plumb in an external that may or may not be any better.

Pretty sure you'd also need a surge tank with an external as well.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:31 AM
thawk408

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by frankie945
One thing about a inline fuel pump. They are only triggered when you are under boost. I would just go with a walbro 255 lph in the tank. IMO
Please do not spread stupid incorrect statements. The ONLY reason an inline pump will come on under boost alone is if wired up that way. Wired normally it will run all the time like every pump will do intake or out.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:49 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

accord: i was thinking about going this route also.

i have a built motor but i'm only boosting with a vortech 2.87. I personally don't think i'll get over 500hp (probably more like mid 400's) with my heads and cams. That being said I thought about making my own basic return system for cheap. The only thing i'm worried about if the stock fuel rails will hold up.

This was what i was thinking:

summit braided fuel line kit (6an) for 80$
fuel rail adapter (already purchased, cheap)
aeromotive FPR (130ish)
CJM return fuel correction (70$)

that would run the stock rails on 800cc (currently have 440's) injectors. I'm pretty sure it will flow enough for my demands. I later could upgrade to larger rails when I go turbo.

This would save about 300$ from buying a basic RFS kit. Do you think it would be sufficient?

I will not be running the inline fuel pump that vortech has. I want to eliminate all that extra and just have the intank walbro that i currently have.

sub'ed to find out the answers
Old 12-12-2009, 02:17 PM
accordfreak

Originally Posted by binder
accord: i was thinking about going this route also.

i have a built motor but i'm only boosting with a vortech 2.87. I personally don't think i'll get over 500hp (probably more like mid 400's) with my heads and cams. That being said I thought about making my own basic return system for cheap. The only thing i'm worried about if the stock fuel rails will hold up.

This was what i was thinking:

summit braided fuel line kit (6an) for 80$
fuel rail adapter (already purchased, cheap)
aeromotive FPR (130ish)
CJM return fuel correction (70$)

that would run the stock rails on 800cc (currently have 440's) injectors. I'm pretty sure it will flow enough for my demands. I later could upgrade to larger rails when I go turbo.

This would save about 300$ from buying a basic RFS kit. Do you think it would be sufficient?

I will not be running the inline fuel pump that vortech has. I want to eliminate all that extra and just have the intank walbro that i currently have.

sub'ed to find out the answers
Binder you're going a different route from where I'm going. You're going through the traditional way. I am trying to maintain the stock fuel pump and just adding an inline.

With what you're doing you should be fine. you might as well upgrade your rails now and get it over with. i bought mine used for $120. also, if you're not using a hardline for the return, you might get a fuel vapor smell

Last edited by accordfreak; 12-12-2009 at 02:19 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 12-12-2009, 03:58 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by accordfreak
Binder you're going a different route from where I'm going. You're going through the traditional way. I am trying to maintain the stock fuel pump and just adding an inline.

With what you're doing you should be fine. you might as well upgrade your rails now and get it over with. i bought mine used for $120. also, if you're not using a hardline for the return, you might get a fuel vapor smell
ah, i guess i misunderstood. I thought you were doing a return system but the only difference was the added inline pump.

hard line return? I thought almost all return systems used just braided lines?

i have questions about the max of the stock rails. anyone that has input chime in. I'm going to pm you accord so i don't get your thread off topic.