Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

tubro blankets and wrapping coated hot parts

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 11:27 AM
Snow-G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

swaintech.com?
Old 12-13-2009, 03:41 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
Ya the center section was swapped out, Jim is the kind of guy that would likely want to spend the time to find out the cause of the failure. But it may be unknown. Like you said it may have been a defect . I think I will wrap them again anyway or maybe I should just pull them apart and get them coated, now I am second guessing things
If they are not yet installed, ceramic coating is a more cost effective option. My turbo blankets for the Greddys cost $251 with shipping. The ceramic coating on the turbine housings cost $90, and he picked up/dropped off the parts (the company name is "Fuzion"). Again, my ceramic coating guy says that the ceramic coating actually works better than turbo blankets, but I don't have any data to confirm his assertion. I do believe, however, that when I did the research on this I found others stating the same thing.

Originally Posted by rcdash
I doubt a ceramic coating will be half as effective at retaining heat compared to a turbo blanket. If they are worried about jethot, what do you think Blouch would say about a turbo blanket?
I think either way the warranty will be voided. As noted above, some people state that ceramic coating is actually a better thermal barrier than turbo blankets. Remember, they are coating both the inside and outside of the turbine housings. So, in a sense, you are getting two thermally resistant layers between the exhaust gases and the engine bay.

Once I get my car back together, I'll post my thoughts on the effect of the ceramic coating on the engine bay temps compared to my last build with heat wrap/downpipes. It won't be a completely fair comparison, though, since this time my exhaust manifolds are also ceramic coated, as well as the front portion of the exhaust. In other words, everything will be ceramic coated back to the muffler sections of the exhaust. When I settle on my final rear bumber design (I may or may not have to move my mufflers/exhaust tips), I am going to ceramic coat all the way back to the exhaust tips. That should help keep things from getting too hot when I put the underbody on. I'm also strategically placing NACA ducts in the underbody panels to get air flow in there, especially on the transmission and the rear differential.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 12-13-2009 at 03:56 PM.