Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

tubro blankets and wrapping coated hot parts

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 11:17 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default turbo blankets and wrapping coated hot parts

So i did the search for turbo blanket. Good info there but not quite what I was looking for.

Is it worth getting turbo blankets and wrapping the downpipes on ceramic coated parts on a greddy/GTM/APS/HKS/JWT type kit?

If you had heat wrap already, I'd figure most people would wrap their downpipes anyhow, but would you order blankets for an additional amount of heat protection also?

I've never felt the difference between a ceramic coated part and one thats not. I can imagine that the turbines would still heat the engine bay up alot even if coated.

Last edited by str8dum1; 12-11-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:21 AM
eltness350
The Untouchable

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i did jethot coating on my manifolds/downpipes....did turbo blankets also.... i have the reg 18g greddy kit....no overheating eva....
if u look on jethots website there is a huge difference in temps
Old 12-11-2009, 11:22 AM
str8dum1

so yes on turbo blankets
Old 12-11-2009, 12:38 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I researched this a while back. Some people have experienced issues with the turbo blankets wearing off some of the ceramic coating. The ceramic coating by itself is supposed to do a really good job at thermal insulation. That is what I am first going to try.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:24 PM
str8dum1

ya i'd rather not drop $200 more if they arent worth it. guess, we'll just see how it goes.

Are there indicators that you should watch for that determines whether or not you should get blankets. I know for top mount styles, like the PL or turbonetics, its a good idea for engine bay cooling, but maybe not so critical for manifold hung turbos?
Old 12-11-2009, 02:34 PM
cdoxp800

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am doing the Hot-Jet coating on my Turbonetics parts.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:39 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was heat wrapped and blanketed not the expensive DEI blankets the cheap build your own style by thermotech or something like that. But my under hood temps were still high, so i got the manis and down pipes coated and I also plan to heat wrap everything. I was too lazy to pull the turbos apart to have them coated though. I still might do it if i ever get around to ordering a new turbo seal kit .

A good friend of mine has a 240 with a 2.2L stroker and a GT35 with the hot side coated it still got hot enough to melt the plastic on his power steering resevior so even with coating things do get pretty hot.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:22 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I would be concerned with turbo blankets and premature turbo failure (due to coking), even if water cooled. Ceramic coating I think is reasonable though...

Last edited by rcdash; 12-12-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:08 AM
str8dum1

^do you mean coking? I could always add a turbo timer.

ya they are journal bearings, so no water. they are ceramic coated already. I guess it would be easy enough to add them after the fact. I've got fire braid and insulated wire loom but ya know ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure
Old 12-12-2009, 07:19 AM
BrazenZ

I have a pair of custom fit turbo blankets for my APS twin turbos, I can't install them because there is not enough room between the steering knuckle and driver side turbo.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:25 AM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

I personally wouldn't bother with blankets on any of the TT kits that put the turbos down lower. Just coat them and call it a day. Now a big single mounted up top? Yes.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:53 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by str8dum1
ya i'd rather not drop $200 more if they arent worth it. guess, we'll just see how it goes.

Are there indicators that you should watch for that determines whether or not you should get blankets. I know for top mount styles, like the PL or turbonetics, its a good idea for engine bay cooling, but maybe not so critical for manifold hung turbos?
On my first built, I started with no wrap at all. My engine bay temps got really, really, high. Then I heat wrapped the downpipes and got a Siebon vented hood. That helped quite a bit. Then I put on the turbo blankets, and that helped even more.

From the Internet research I have done, the ceramic coating is supposed to be just as effective as using heat wrap and turbo blankets. Some people in one of the Corvette forums tried doing both, which should give even better thermal insulation, but there were a couple of guys who noted that they were having issues with the heat wrap and turbo blankets wearing off the ceramic coating. There were no pics, so I don't know how bad it was.

The guys doing my ceramic coating claim that the ceramic coating will work better than the heat wrap/turbo blankets themselves, and that it should last a long time so long as you leave it alone and don't wrap it.

Again, I am basing this on what I have been told, but I have not compared the two methods, nor have I tried heat wrapping over ceramic coating.

FYI, I did ceramic coat my previous turbine housings/downpipes/exhaust manifolds, but sold them before I ever had them re-installed. On my current setup, the exhaust manifolds and turbine housings are again ceramic coated, and I will ceramic coat the downpipes once the welding to merge the dumps into the exhaust is completed.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:47 AM
rcdash

Originally Posted by str8dum1
^do you mean coking? I could always add a turbo timer.

ya they are journal bearings, so no water. they are ceramic coated already. I guess it would be easy enough to add them after the fact. I've got fire braid and insulated wire loom but ya know ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure
yes, edited. XKR's 850bb failed after only a few k miles and several of us wondered if it was because he put blankets on his. I don't think he has blankets on his GT35s. I think in those cramped quarters the center housing is going to get very hot when the car turns off if the turbo is wrapped. Perhaps with the SFR kit and the lower location, it won't be that bad but a turbo timer might be a good idea though I think you may have to run it for a bit to actually prevent a heat spike...

Last edited by rcdash; 12-12-2009 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:50 AM
str8dum1

ya so i'll just skip on the blankets for now, and jope I got a good ceramic job
Old 12-12-2009, 03:24 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Originally Posted by rcdash
yes, edited. XKR's 850bb failed after only a few k miles and several of us wondered if it was because he put blankets on his. I don't think he has blankets on his GT35s. .
Only 1 turbo had an issue, did Sharif mention the cause of the issue? When I talked to Jim Wolf he never mentioned the cause but I forgot to ask and when I spoke with Sharif he had not spoke to Jim about it yet. But I did see XKR mention that they were not wrapping the new turbos, is it due to the lower location of the turbos or was in fact it because the blankets cause the issue Raj if you don't know for sure maybe Sharif or XKR will chime in or some will maybe pm one of them.

Last edited by Sylvan Lake V35; 12-12-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:47 PM
rcdash

No one knows for sure - we were just speculating. It could have been a one off manufacturer's defect - no way to know... I think the entire center section is just swapped out so I doubt even Jim Wolf would've been able to tell you.

Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
Only 1 turbo had an issue, did Sharif mention the cause of the issue? When I talked to Jim Wolf he never mentioned the cause but I forgot to ask and when I spoke with Sharif he had not spoke to Jim about it yet. But I did see XKR mention that they were not wrapping the new turbos, is it due to the lower location of the turbos or was in fact it because the blankets cause the issue Raj if you don't know for sure maybe Sharif or XKR will chime in or some will maybe pm one of them.

Last edited by rcdash; 12-12-2009 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:29 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

If it's already coated, i wouldn't bother more.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:25 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Originally Posted by rcdash
No one knows for sure - we were just speculating. It could have been a one off manufacturer's defect - no way to know... I think the entire center section is just swapped out so I doubt even Jim Wolf would've been able to tell you.
Ya the center section was swapped out, Jim is the kind of guy that would likely want to spend the time to find out the cause of the failure. But it may be unknown. Like you said it may have been a defect . I think I will wrap them again anyway or maybe I should just pull them apart and get them coated, now I am second guessing things
Old 12-13-2009, 05:53 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

I had the manifolds and downpipes jethot coated (outsides only) and the car seems to be fine on temps, but I haven't had it out in summer weather yet.

I was told by Blouch Turbo not to do the turbo housings because it may cause greater heat retention and shorten the ilife of the turbo. Also, it will usually void any factory warranty on the turbos as well.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:23 AM
rcdash

Originally Posted by Cass007
I had the manifolds and downpipes jethot coated (outsides only) and the car seems to be fine on temps, but I haven't had it out in summer weather yet.

I was told by Blouch Turbo not to do the turbo housings because it may cause greater heat retention and shorten the ilife of the turbo. Also, it will usually void any factory warranty on the turbos as well.
I doubt a ceramic coating will be half as effective at retaining heat compared to a turbo blanket. If they are worried about jethot, what do you think Blouch would say about a turbo blanket?

Quick Reply: tubro blankets and wrapping coated hot parts