Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Forged Built Twin turbo, HTA turbo's! (gone bad) ~g35driver import~

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 05:57 PM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hope it was ALL worth it!!
Old 12-16-2009, 05:59 PM
thom000001

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea,
Mine was in shop for 4 months and 1 day from drop off to delivery, but that was only cause SP found out they were moving the shop 4 days after we pulled motor. So nothing at all happened for just about a month, and the new location was a little crazy the first month with all the stuff and the dyno getting moved/installed.

So it prolly would have taken just under 3 months (which is what we sorta planned)........and thats for the first customer setup with their motor, turbo kit, and fuel system.

tom

Originally Posted by SargeZ350
Man this is quite a loooong time. My tuner told me he´s gonna complete my complete build within 2 months! My buddy is gettin his car done right now. 1 week after the car arrived at the shop the complete engine was disassembled and prepared for new parts. Within 2weeks the whole engine was built! I would never let any shop build my car with the expectation to get my car back in 6 months or even later! That´s crazy
Old 12-16-2009, 06:53 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Damn I thought my 6 weeks was an eternity. You guys have a lot of patience...
Old 12-16-2009, 09:04 PM
eltness350
The Untouchable

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

u have no idea.....
Old 12-16-2009, 09:35 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Originally Posted by Jay'Z
I still wouldnt buy it from anyone but the Vendor, because now who takes responsibility? Nobody....... He is at a loss... IMHO
He said it was run with no oil i doubt anyone would take responsibility for that block.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:18 PM
Kal_El

Matt...you have beautiful hands....

serious build man, good luck and we hope for some nice numbers!
Old 12-17-2009, 04:52 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

To the OP GL man... Hopefully in no time you'll be hollering about needing new tires..
Old 12-17-2009, 05:52 AM
captj3

Originally Posted by Chris@FsP
One of the advantages in being a smaller, lower volume shop is that we can really focus on the 1-2 cars that we have in the shop at any given time. Nothing against Forged at all (they are great people, do quality work and have nothing but the best intentions), but when you are a larger shop, and have 10-12 cars in your shop at any given time, it's that much more likely for something to accidentally slip through the cracks.

Again, in no way am I trying to bash Forged, or big shops in general. It's just the facts of life.
There is no excuse for things to take this long 6months to when ever to get a motor built and turbos put on is rediculous. A shop should stick to the time line. Sometimes things happen a 1-2 week delay can arise. But lets face it none of the shops are doing a off frame restoration.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:07 AM
SoarVigor

Originally Posted by captj3
There is no excuse for things to take this long 6months to when ever to get a motor built and turbos put on is rediculous. A shop should stick to the time line. Sometimes things happen a 1-2 week delay can arise. But lets face it none of the shops are doing a off frame restoration.
And any other idiot that tells you that a 6 month wait is expected is a retard.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:13 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by SoarVigor
And any other person that tells you that a 6 month wait is expected is just being pragmatic and realistic.
Fixed for accuracy. I didn't understand it before (or for the most part during) my build either, until I observed what goes on in a shop - you'll see how they work long hours to try to get a job done in time and something keeps coming up... The DIY'ers out there should realize that when you work on your own car, you are devoted to it 100%, but it's a hobby and passion for you. Earning a living doing that is a bit more complicated. It is naive to think that every build will get done in a few weeks. You never hear about all the builds that get done on time - lol.

Last edited by rcdash; 12-17-2009 at 07:21 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:36 AM
Jtran Studios
Vendor - Former Vendor

nats security code, hm.......see if you can send it off for a reflash to cancel out the nats or reprogram the nats.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:47 AM
scout1669

Originally Posted by rcdash
Fixed for accuracy. I didn't understand it before (or for the most part during) my build either, until I observed what goes on in a shop - you'll see how they work long hours to try to get a job done in time and something keeps coming up... The DIY'ers out there should realize that when you work on your own car, you are devoted to it 100%, but it's a hobby and passion for you. Earning a living doing that is a bit more complicated. It is naive to think that every build will get done in a few weeks. You never hear about all the builds that get done on time - lol.
which puts a builder in a precarious situation i guess. Be upfront with the customer. "Be prepared for this to take up to 2 years, and cost double what you expect. in fact, most everyone in the fi community has issues with blown motors and major setbacks." OR not disclose that with the knowledge of the "reality".

Also you say DIY'ers are devoted to the project 100%??? I'd have to disagree, i'd think that someone doing their own work would have to have a job (pretty decent one at that) to afford the parts, tools, space ect. So you're looking at weekends and after work WHEREAS a shop works monday-friday (forged is working sat too) with a min of 40 hours a week. That's 160 a month... assuming i'm accurate with my timeline (may be off a month) i'm looking at 3840 POTENTIAL work hours on my car. Of course this isn't quite realistic with car shows shutting down the shop here and there, shop trips, holidays, whatever other excuses there are. But my point still stands, this isn't acceptable in the least bit, especially combined with the ammount of feedback i get, thrice now i've expected a finished car and showed up in atlanta to let down after let down and expensive tickets purchased at ticket counters home.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:09 AM
eltness350
The Untouchable

^^^^^^^ +100000000000000000000000000000000000
Old 12-17-2009, 08:16 AM
350Z400rwhp

I'm sorry to hear about all of this. I know your car will be badass once this is all over with but your bank account has to be taking a major hit along with having nothing to show for it for such a long time. This and the build reliability issues are the two reasons I will always stick to doing mods that I can install myself and why I will NEVER build my motor. If it blows I'm just going to bite the bullet and get a Vette or a GT-R. In the shop's defense it is true that they do have to "survive" and these tactics may be necessary to stay in business.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:41 AM
scout1669

Originally Posted by 350Z400rwhp
I'm sorry to hear about all of this. I know your car will be badass once this is all over with but your bank account has to be taking a major hit along with having nothing to show for it for such a long time. This and the build reliability issues are the two reasons I will always stick to doing mods that I can install myself and why I will NEVER build my motor. If it blows I'm just going to bite the bullet and get a Vette or a GT-R. In the shop's defense it is true that they do have to "survive" and these tactics may be necessary to stay in business.
Well hindsight is 20-20... Knowing what i know now i'd have just bought a gtr or even a zr1. In reality i expect this car to last less then 5,000 miles before another catastrophic engine meltdown rendering it what it is now, 3000lb paper weight. Good thing i have great insurance.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:42 AM
rcdash

Originally Posted by scout1669
which puts a builder in a precarious situation i guess. Be upfront with the customer. "Be prepared for this to take up to 2 years, and cost double what you expect. in fact, most everyone in the fi community has issues with blown motors and major setbacks." OR not disclose that with the knowledge of the "reality".
I agree with this. A shop has an average turn around time on cars and then there are always outliers. "On average this kind of build takes 2 months. Over the past year, we've put out xx cars in this kind of time frame, but in the last year we've had yy cars that have taken longer than this." Giving customers this kind of data is a step towards better communication and understanding.

I'll admit, while I was in perpetual wait mode, I was also wondering why I just didn't buy a car turbo'd from the factory. When I got the car finally finished though and it's been pretty much trouble free, I can look back and say it was all worth it. I know this car inside and out and feel more connected with it than one I'd have just bought and driven... that would be just another car.

Last edited by rcdash; 12-17-2009 at 08:46 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:49 AM
JS04

Originally Posted by djamps
Damn I thought my 6 weeks was an eternity. You guys have a lot of patience...
My build to 6.5 months to be completed. I wish it only took 6 weeks.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:53 AM
CRIDDA

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hope everything works out for you
Old 12-17-2009, 08:55 AM
scout1669

Originally Posted by Jtran Studios
nats security code, hm.......see if you can send it off for a reflash to cancel out the nats or reprogram the nats.
well the original was flashed by technosquare and crashed, sharif used the one out of his 350z and it worked but the red light on the dash stayed on. I presume he got mine re-reflashed and now it's having this problem. I'm really not educated on the subject except the half paragraph email i've gotten on the issue. I'd be completely fine deleting the nats security ******** and going with an aftermarket system and day if it meant i could have my car back.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:04 AM
rcdash

Originally Posted by scout1669
well the original was flashed by technosquare and crashed, sharif used the one out of his 350z and it worked but the red light on the dash stayed on. I presume he got mine re-reflashed and now it's having this problem. I'm really not educated on the subject except the half paragraph email i've gotten on the issue. I'd be completely fine deleting the nats security ******** and going with an aftermarket system and day if it meant i could have my car back.
It's a PITA issue that will likely require reprogramming with Consult, maybe a trip to the dealer. Nothing FP hasn't handled before - just takes time... I know not what you want to hear.

Quick Reply: Forged Built Twin turbo, HTA turbo's! (gone bad) ~g35driver import~