Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Forged Built Twin turbo, HTA turbo's! (gone bad) ~g35driver import~

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 07:43 AM
scout1669

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forged Built Twin turbo, HTA turbo's! (gone bad) ~g35driver import~

Well i've been posting on g35driver for a while and decided you guys might be interested in this as well so here's the import.
Original thread http://g35driver.com/forums/forced-i...ta-turbos.html
2 years in the shop (local and forged combined) and somewhere between 60-100k and this is what i have...

Well my name is Matt and some of you might recognize this build from my other thread. I've decided to re-vamp it clutter/ Drama free.

I started with an 03 coupe and wanted a simple greddy twin setup to run on stock internals, Well surfing the classified section of g35driver i found a brand new Forged longblock and that's where i started to lose control... If you've ever read the children's book "If You Give A Mouse A Cookie" you'll know what i'm talking about. Well now i had the turbo kit and a built motor that could hold 700+, so now i needed a fuel system and clutch, ect ect ect

I tried to save a few bucks and had a local shop in pensacola instal the motor and greddy kit and long story short, they raped EVERYTHING, 80 miles into my break-in the motor was blown. Something about starting a motor without oil.... NOT GOOD. Well i dragged the car in shambles up to Sharif and he has been my savior! Expensive and less then speedy but you really get what you pay for!

Forged Performance took the heap of "what-the-*uck" and transformed it into a "Forged" car. It turns out that the bearings in the turbo's are bad after the "oil" episode and the first motor blowing. When sharif finally strapped the car to his dyno the plumes of smoke started. Sharif broke the car in and got a rough tune of 530whp out of his DD dyno before i came back and all but demanded the car back for the month i had off work (live and work in baghdad). The tune was rough, very rich, and the car burnt oil like it was gasoline but i still enjoyed being back behind the wheel.

Well I'm back at work now and the car is being shipped back up to Forged to have the turbo's pulled and sent off to forcedperformance.net for an upgrade to their "HTA Conversion". This conversion is where i think i'll spark peoples interest... I couldn't pull much information from forcedperformance at all except that this wheel is custom made in-house and is comparable to the gt35r but spools faster and can support more. My goal is 750whp(+-) on sharif's DD and forcedperf assures me this will be no problem at all. That's about all the information i can get from them on it at the time. However i'm pitching a sponsorship proposal to the owner of forcedperformance.net in order to get some publicity on these things. STAY TUNED!

The Car is still far from being finished and at this point i'm all in, this will be my weekend queen indefinitely! I haven't spent much time on the interior or the suspention yet but they are right around the corner. I've had many setbacks with this build, the most recent being a 50lb beaver to the kuruma Z bumper at 70mph (40 year old virgin.... "that *ucker came outta no where") I am looking for a shop right now to paint the car, i'm thinking about either Laguna Seca blue from the E46 m3 or the Monterey Blue from the 370z.

Forged Built longblock
eagle H beam rods
Arias extreme duty pistons .030 over
JWT c2 cams/springs
Fluidyne harmonic dampner
Koyo thick core radiator
Crawford plenum
Greddy twin turbo kit with HTA upgraded turbo's (gt35r)
3.5in Downpipes with open dumps
16lb wastegate springs
Aps 3in dual exhaust
CJM twin in tank 255lph assembly
AAM full return fuel system
RC650cc injectors (1000cc's on the way)
Carbonetics Tripple Disk Clutch
Quaffe lsd w/ 3.3fd
Kuruma Z front bumper
AEM Meth injection
Defi guages boost/oil pressure
AEM wideband
Volk GT-7 19's

UPDATE:
I picked up some tein sportlines w/edfc
Cosworth plenum
hks1000cc injectors
Hotchkis sway bars
stillen front fascia
06 custom headlights
and instead of going with the laguna seca blue i thought i'd go with something a bit more unique...

Originally Posted by ttrank
GL with the build.
Well despite the several emails sent into cyberspace sharif "never head of the deadline" and now i'll be home again in a god damn mazda 6 rental car for a month vacation from baghdad. This is my 4th repeat of this by the way. I am going to sit in this POS and rev it until it catches on fire then claim it on my insurance. Advice to myself 2 years back... buy a ZR-1 and get it over with.

Well everything was all set up to have the car completed by halloween then days before i come home i'm emailing sharif just to quadruple check everything out and he drops a bomb on me. "this is the first time i've heard of your deadline and it's impossible" Well not according to 6 different email strings that i of course have saved... I'm obviously extremely heated but what am i to do. It's been 7 months since i gave it to him for the turbo rebuild and not i'm stuck in atlanta with no car and no way home to florida. Of course he has his shop shut down for a trip out to cali with the new gtr, glad to see he's not affected by the economy (sure is getting plenty of my money). Well this all takes place on the 2nd of november and as of 8 december he's still trying to track down an issue with the "nats security system" that's preventing the car from firing up. I'm not sure how you guys deal with this stuff, time is money to me and i've got piles of both wrapped up in this with no results at all except countless "i almost have it"'s

I have another question for the mechanical guru's out there... I have a drz400sm super motard that i'm building (myself from now on) and i was reading the mototune breakin method http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm and it sounds pretty logical. My question is after my build longblock from forged took a **** at 40 miles it was rebuilt by sharif again (to the tune of about 12k, no help from forged either). I of course have the email saved where i the customer asks the Subject matter expert (sharif) if my turbo's will need to be rebuilt since all the bearings were bad. Well he replies no they're good, he wraps the car up and goes to break it in on the dyno and it's burning oil like it's a diesel drag car. He gives me the car for 2 weeks and i put 1000 miles on it with about a quart of oil every gas tank. Do you think this will effect the ring seating and i can't imagine those pistons look good at all? Do you think some kind of seafoam method is in order?
Old 12-16-2009, 08:25 AM
IslandZavage

damn.. hope this gets worked out soon. i was so looking forward to seeing what the HTA upgrade could do.. No wonder when i bumped the old thread for updates their were none...
Old 12-16-2009, 08:39 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes, the waiting sucks. I remember checking e-mails and PMs looking for an update almost every day. There are always unforeseen issues that cause delays with big builds. I've worked on the car myself enough to know that when you run into issues it can take days to track down, even it's something stupidly simple. I'd hate to be a shop owner with those kind of delays (that you cannot bill for). In the end time is money, but it is the shop that's investing the time with the car on a fixed price.

I hope you get it worked out soon. Forged does good work and I'm sure they'll come through for you. I would recommend spending a few days near Forged when you go to pick it up to make sure everything is perfect.

On another note, that satin black finish looks really good - would love to see it on a Z/G. Please keep us updated.

Last edited by rcdash; 12-16-2009 at 08:40 AM.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:52 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your car is going to be wrapped in vinyl?

Cliff notes? Why and when did FP get this car? What exactly was ****ed up before FP got it?

I know deadlines may suck, honestly in FI **** happens.. You always have to prepare for the worst and deadlines to be pushed back.. FWIW.. Mine did, and Im happy for it.. I have gone 1yr trouble free!
Old 12-16-2009, 08:54 AM
mx594

Caribbean blue is the best color there is. Don't paint it!

I'm glad I can do all my own work.

Good luck, hope it works out for you.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:56 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Oh are you really a scout or contract worker in OIF...
Old 12-16-2009, 09:04 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

750whp on sharif's dyno is gonna be tough with your setup. definitely need race gas or meth to get close. i'd be happy with high 600's with your current config on the heartbreaker. infact, i wouldnt even worry about the numbers. I'd just ask for the best he can get out of her without sacrificing too much on reliability and see what you get.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:07 AM
IslandZavage

i hear/understand what u guys are saying with delays, but 7 months is a long *** time, but on the flip side if your deployed its not like you can drive it anyways. tough situation... His frustration is very understandable. Instead of emails, call up there and speak to him. I know its hard when ur deployed though.. hell im jealous you get to email while ur deployed, i didnt even get that when i was deployed (frontlines FTMFL). i didnt see a phone until i was injured in combat. Im sure he will get on the phone with you to talk it out seeing how im sure he knows your deployed and all.

Last edited by IslandZavage; 12-16-2009 at 09:15 AM.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:08 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

This is a build that has admittedly been very frustarting for all of us. The amount of time and effort put in by all parties can't even begin to be accounted for. It seems like we are still wrestling with some gremlins of the past, but we are getting closer. Scout has been very patient with us, which I do appreciate greatly. We are ALMOST done.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:26 AM
Old School
Shift_Boost

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

There are always hickups. And quite a few of us have waited longer than 7 months for full builds. Things don't always go as planned. That's just how it goes with heavy modding. Good luck with your ride
Old 12-16-2009, 09:29 AM
thawk408

Heck, I havn't driven my car in a 1 1/2 years and its still in pieces. Deadlines are dumb and should never even be considered when doing this kind of work.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:35 AM
350Z400rwhp

Should of just bought the ZR-1 and got it over with

I kid I kid....
Old 12-16-2009, 10:25 AM
nyqueenz

i forgot all bout my dead line.. shyt my dates working overseas keeps changing going from Kuwait to Afghanistan now i had to push my R&R back so right now i have no dead lline. Im just glad i can call,email and order parts when ever I want to.. and everything is going smooth so far for my build.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:36 AM
IslandZavage

Originally Posted by asingh1
Na'p boule friend.
Komon ou ye? im not alone..lol..
Old 12-16-2009, 10:52 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by thawk408
Heck, I havn't driven my car in a 1 1/2 years and its still in pieces. Deadlines are dumb and should never even be considered when doing this kind of work.
agreed 100%, drop it off and forget it. then get a call from then 770 area code and get excited. daily driver is a must for all who own boosted Z's imho. its like telling your heart surgeon you need the operation done in time for you to catch the football game, not a good idea.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:10 AM
Reality350

I am sure most people would be upset with 7 month wait, lack of communication, missing scheduled deadlines, mis-diagnosis of parts...

Hope you get back on the road soon..
Old 12-16-2009, 11:15 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Your story is not far from the norm for lots of people. Most dont share in their threads that they had been promised their cars 3 or 4x already by a certain date but that other things took over. Nothing against Forged, it happens a lot to many shops/people.

Im really interested in your dyno number results.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:22 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Reality350
I am sure most people would be upset with 7 month wait, lack of communication, missing scheduled deadlines, mis-diagnosis of parts...

Hope you get back on the road soon..
Most people need to reset their expectations. Unfortunate, but true. Just part of the game.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:42 AM
IslandZavage

Originally Posted by scout1669
It's been 7 months since i gave it to him for the turbo rebuild and not i'm stuck in atlanta with no car and no way home to florida.
just to clarify.. 7 months for a complete build(motor,tuning etc..)? or 7 months for a turbo rebuild? thats way too long for just a turbo build so im assuming theirs more to it than that.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:54 AM
thom000001

Best way to think of it in general is plan out how much you want to spend and how long you think it will take.....now double both. That'll be a little closer to the actuals

Tom

Quick Reply: Forged Built Twin turbo, HTA turbo's! (gone bad) ~g35driver import~