Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

correction factors the same as bench racing? by English Racing

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 05:26 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow correction factors the same as bench racing? by English Racing

First off, this info/thread is from evom, so don't hate. It was good info to me, so i figured to share with my350z guys.

Correction factors...I've hang around on evom forum for little bit. Another day, one of member caught one sponsor that who changed CF on customer's dyno sheet. Which that makes " fake happy numbers ". So after read that thread, i started to look around people's dyno sheet to " try " understand about What really Correction Factors could do.

Well...Couple days ago, Lucas English wrote about " correction factor and etc " I was looking for it and he wrote on that forum! Awsome! And few other sponsors jumped on that thread and it turned out pretty nice.

So here is a link to that thread, if anyone wants to read more about....http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-dyn...ml#post7838706

Originally Posted by Lucas English
I think so

Link to the same thing on my site with a Dyno Sheet
http://englishracing.net/tech/2009/1...e-bench-racing

So I will try and make this as simple as I can.

1st what are Correction factors. When you dyno a car there is a Raw HP # this is the real hp to the wheels (Called Uncorrected). Then you have what are called the Correction Factors. This takes in Elevation, Temperature, Humidity and Barometer and adj the dyno numbers. The theory on this is that every one can compare there # or you will know what the car will make in normal conditions.

Why I feel like this system for comparing dyno # can be wrong at times. I find that Correction factors are the more wrong on turbo cars.

When you are at high elevations you can run more boost and timing on the same oct fuel with out Detonation. I see lots of guys in the Colorado area that make 50-100hp off correction factor. So the question would be will that car make the same power at sea level maybe ?.

Uncorrected is the real hp to the wheels. So when you make 380whp uncorrected that is the power you feel not what it could do. One way to look at it is if X car went to a track on a 80deg day and ran a 13.0 and another guy went to the same track on a 40deg day and runs 12.5. Does his 12.5 not count?

I had to grab this sheet off line since the Corrected to Uncorrected does not very that much on my dyno. -5 to +5 % is the biggest variations i have seen on my Dyno at sea level.

This Dyno Sheet has a correction of a 1.15 and 1.14 which is adding 14-15% over the real power. I have dyno'd a couple of 700r Quads on my dyno with these mods and I do feel that the Correction would hold true to see level, but the true power that you feel when you rip on it is still 14-15% less then what the sheet is showing if you are riding in the same area the bike was tuned.

One example was a cust car that Made just over 500whp SAE Corrected in New Mexico which is around 5300ft on a dyno jet. It then came to our shop in Vancouver Washington which is sea level it only did 380whp with no changes.We did tune it back to 500| at sea level.

If you are bragging high hp # that are alot higher due to Correction, does the car even have enough fuel injector, fuel pump, ignition, strong enough hard parts to make this power for real uncorrected?

Your car is going to run down the 1/4 mi is based off of Uncorrected #.

Correction Factors may work right on a stock all motor car, But a highly modified car they are just fake # that mean nothing.
About Dynos

I will talk about the 3 major Dynos Mustang (MD), Dyno Dynamics(DD) and DynoJet(DJ)

We own a Dyno Jet so of course we are extremely biased towards Dynojet, but I feel I have very good reasons.

Dynojet dynos are a older tech style dyno and just have a heavy drum that you see how fast you can spin from point A to point B. Very simple.

Most of your Mustang and Dyno Dynamics are connected to a Eddy Current (big electric motor) They put load on the car and use a strain gauge to measure hp. While this is fine for tuning it makes it horrible to know what the # mean because the calibration can be done different or Changed by the operator from dyno to dyno.

The Mustang seem to have the most problem with operators playing with this calibration.

The Dyno Dynamics I have not heard as much about changing the HP but the Dyno Dynamics has different modes that give way different dyno # and you cant seem to tell which mode it is in by looking at the sheet. I know a Dyno Dynamics in normal mode will be about the same as a properly calibrated Mustang which is about 15% lower then a DJ, but in there shoot out mode they seem to be about the same or higher then a DJ.

When my dyno 1st opened I had few local customers that were tuned on a Dyno Dynamics that were told they would make XX hp more on a Dyno Jet. They all made the same hp or XX less on our DynoJet.

These days every one has a Dyno so swinging your hp # around is very common. While other will say that track # are the only prof. While that is kinda true so many cars that do make good hp cant run the same times as other either being, Clutch setup, weight, Safety rules, DRIVER or they just like a fast street car and don't care to race.

So having a Dyno that you can trust # is SO SO important.

We have tuned on 6 different Dyno Jets and there # are all the same.

Why People Choose the other dynos. Well quite a few years back DynoJet did not have a Eddy Current option. The Eddy Current option is very nice and sometimes needed for a tuner to get a good tune or pin point trouble areas. Sine the Mustang worked off of a Eddy current it allowed for the steady state tuning ware the DynoJet did not. Our DynoJet does have the Eddy Current option so we can still have the simple style dyno for our HP # and still have load control for tuning. Also the DynoJet with the Eddy current option is more then a Mustang.

This is my biased opinion that the Mustangs and Dyno Dynamics are great for tuning but in no way can you post your dyno # and know what they mean. The only people that can get away with posting there # are ones that have 100s of track # with HP # from there dyno so you even know what you are looking at.

__________________[/QUOTE]

Hope you guys enjoy.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:10 AM
*Boose*

Very long and very informative. I just wish there were not so many differences in testing for hp. Just wish there was one standard all dynos and manufacturers abided by. Would make shop competition in general better.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:35 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

^^

There is. Its called the quarter mile
Old 01-02-2010, 05:25 AM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Unfortunately there's the sucky driver variable on that one...

Originally Posted by 0jiggy0
^^

There is. Its called the quarter mile
Old 01-02-2010, 02:03 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dyno results are for pure bs as in bench racing of the old days.The true power your car is making is in the quarter mile time trap speeds.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:26 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

What is this has to do with 1/4 milie.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:27 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

pretty much i agree, a couple of points:
a) dyno is just a tool, and in terms of tunning only as good as the tuner.
b)1/4 mile is universal but there is a driver effect.... agreed on not putting too much stock considering the many differences dynos, but dynojet SAE correction has been a standard in the industry for quite some time... no driver involved there, and you get what you get from the dyno. Thats why (IMO) DDs should show true DD numbers and car later shoudl be put on a dynojet if "dynojet' numbers are whats needed.

Originally Posted by Lucas English
The Dyno Dynamics I have not heard as much about changing the HP but the Dyno Dynamics has different modes that give way different dyno # and you cant seem to tell which mode it is in by looking at the sheet. I know a Dyno Dynamics in normal mode will be about the same as a properly calibrated Mustang which is about 15% lower then a DJ, but in there shoot out mode they seem to be about the same or higher then a DJ.

When my dyno 1st opened I had few local customers that were tuned on a Dyno Dynamics that were told they would make XX hp more on a Dyno Jet. They all made the same hp or XX less on our DynoJet.

So having a Dyno that you can trust # is SO SO important.

We have tuned on 6 different Dyno Jets and there # are all the same.

Why People Choose the other dynos. Well quite a few years back DynoJet did not have a Eddy Current option. The Eddy Current option is very nice and sometimes needed for a tuner to get a good tune or pin point trouble areas. Sine the Mustang worked off of a Eddy current it allowed for the steady state tuning ware the DynoJet did not. Our DynoJet does have the Eddy Current option so we can still have the simple style dyno for our HP # and still have load control for tuning. Also the DynoJet with the Eddy current option is more then a Mustang.

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 01-02-2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:10 PM
marra23

Originally Posted by 350z006
Unfortunately there's the sucky driver variable on that one...
Sucky or good driver, flat out trap speed's a indicator were you're at.....power wise.
But then same as dyno's, 1/4 mile times need corrections, just ask N/A & S/C guys at altitude
but in realty you'll never see corrected 1/4 times as your racing against the guy next to you and not a paper race against some say down at the coast.

Like Jorge said see it as a tool

Chef-J What is this has to do with 1/4 milie.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:51 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My main gripe is that pretty much any dyno except a DJ (especially DD) can be made to read whatever you want... one mode might be higher than DJ (shoot out or other custom mode) and another would be lower.

There is a reason DJ is industry standard...the results cannot be easily manipulated.

Is it true that a DD in 'shoot out' mode (e.g. over inflated mode) won't measure torque? I am curious why so many DD printouts are lacking a torque figure... my buddy's bone stock g35 with exhaust and no tune hit 267whp on a DD in shoot out mode...LOL

Last edited by djamps; 01-03-2010 at 04:54 AM.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:01 PM
Blackbird CPV35

Originally Posted by marra23
Sucky or good driver, flat out trap speed's a indicator were you're at.....power wise.
But then same as dyno's, 1/4 mile times need corrections, just ask N/A & S/C guys at altitude
but in realty you'll never see corrected 1/4 times as your racing against the guy next to you and not a paper race against some say down at the coast.

Like Jorge said see it as a tool

Agree, see sig for example of sucky driver