Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

ATI PROCHARGER - Do? or Don't?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 05:11 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ravaz
Looks as pretty as mine Jeff.. Any damage to the block? Do you know what caused the lean condition, was it tuning, failed fuel component or something else?
The block was trash. After we got it back together less FI, the stock injection system checked out fine. As we are unfamiliar with the product I hesitate to guess. I have always been pro-FI. but I also believe in having the right internal parts. I got rid of my ProChargered C5 for my Z. I was running 14lb's of boost with a forged motor built for the FI application. I believe in proper tuning but not knowing much about the application for the Z we don't want to get involved in the finger pointing game.
Old 10-24-2003, 05:58 AM
Ralphus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've found that message boards are a very small slice of the enthusiast community for any car. I'm sure there are a lot more people who have bought this kit, and there are probably a lot more blown motors.
Old 10-24-2003, 06:25 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally posted by Ralphus
I've found that message boards are a very small slice of the enthusiast community for any car. I'm sure there are a lot more people who have bought this kit, and there are probably a lot more blown motors.
What you are saying it true, we are only getting partial information but I do want to be careful in not speculating and dealing with what we do know. At this point it is 3 motors that are known to have blown up. If ATI would jump in and find out why they blew up, it would makes things even more clear.
Old 10-24-2003, 06:47 AM
FLY BY Z

Originally posted by zland
What you are saying it true, we are only getting partial information but I do want to be careful in not speculating and dealing with what we do know. At this point it is 3 motors that are known to have blown up. If ATI would jump in and find out why they blew up, it would makes things even more clear.
3 known blown to my350z.com. Who knows how many known to ATI? The board is an accurate sample of the whole Z community. This is how marketers poll and survey. How many of you actually vote or report what you watch on TV every night so that they can provide TV ratings on the most watched show, etc.? Probably no one or maybe one or two.
Old 10-24-2003, 07:36 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

I wish we knew how many have been sold vs how many blown up to get a percentage. Then, everyone would know the true risk factor. I am better sure ATI will not release that type of data.
Old 10-24-2003, 07:52 AM
shil01

It would be in ATI's best interest to do so.
As of this thread THOSE WHO"VE INSTALLED A PROCHARGER
There are only 13 Prochargers installed (+1 MADHAX who couldnt reply). With 3 blown motors that puts us at approx 21.4% risk of blowing your ENGINE!
OUCH!
You get that number down to 1% or 2% and maybe I'm in.

ATI CONVINCE US OTHERWISE!
Old 10-24-2003, 08:52 AM
N4Spd

without blame,

can you (jeff, ravaz, etc) please post the FMU settings (both scale and slider values) for the cars that blew?

thanks,
rob
Old 10-24-2003, 09:13 AM
ravaz

I can't post mine, my car isn't local anymore. But 1 thing is, it didn't blow because of the ATI kit. That's all I can say.

Bill
Old 10-24-2003, 09:28 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally posted by ravaz
I can't post mine, my car isn't local anymore. But 1 thing is, it didn't blow because of the ATI kit. That's all I can say.

Bill
Bill:

Would it be fair to say it blew because of tuning A/F mixture (ie running too lean) as the reason for your blown motor?

Jeff
Old 10-24-2003, 09:31 AM
ravaz

No, it was actually tuned more towards the rich side, but leaned out because of something else.

Disreguard anything I said in my previous posts about it being a tuning issue etc..

Bill
Old 10-24-2003, 09:41 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Bill, I am confused. You stated it was not the fault of the ATI SC and that it was not tuned lean which to me implies it was not a tuning issue. Why did it run lean after tuning?

Are you imlying that you feel it was a Nissan issue meaning it blew up for reasons that would have made it blow up regardless of it there was a SC unit on it or not?

I am trying to get a handle on this issue. I have not taken off buying an ATI SC as an option. I just need to make sure that whatever the problem is that caused the 3 motors to blow up has been fixed thus it will not occur on my Z if I install one.

If this problem did not occur, I would have one on my Z already. Now, I have delayed my purchase and I am also strongly reconsidering all options such as the dreamworks SC and PE TT. With the blown motors, the 300RWHP NA motors are looking better each day as well.

Jeff

Last edited by zland; 10-24-2003 at 09:49 AM.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:04 AM
RedHerring2

Think zland. Read between the lines. What *else* can lean the mixture? Thats all I'm gonna say.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:10 AM
keepupp

Ok, here's the deal, I have the Procharger and love it. I will not name manufacturers but some breathing mods can and will lean out the mixture. I dont know Ravaz's issue, but I believe it was an aftermarket intake manifold...possibly. You may correct me if I am wrong, but you must be careful in choosing mods to go with FI...especially when using the crappy Aeromotive FMU.

One thing to add....remember MaxHax? He blew his motor as well.....do a search for the mods he had and you may find the culprit. I would like to say what I think the problem is but I would probably get banned. Thats the problem when the forums are run by vendors

Last edited by keepupp; 10-24-2003 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:35 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Ok, I am a slow learner, thanks for pointing out what did not smack me right in the face!
Old 10-24-2003, 12:04 PM
ravaz

Originally posted by keepupp
I dont know Ravaz's issue, but I believe it was an aftermarket intake manifold...possibly. You may correct me if I am wrong, but you must be careful in choosing mods to go with FI...especially when using the crappy Aeromotive FMU.
No aftermarket intake manifold here, that was stock. I see what your saying, but I think Max's issues were more towards the installation of the kit.

Zland, PM me to discuss the issue etc.. I wouldn't rule out the ATI kit if I were you, just wait till more kits come out, I'm sure someone will blow something soon enough, I hope not, but we'll see.. I still think ATI is the best bang for the buck. The Aeromotive unit is OK, but really this car is so new, your pretty much stuck until someone else comes out with something else. We'll see..
Old 10-24-2003, 03:07 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys, you have to remember that it goes both ways. If you think that this board represents only a small portion of the Procharger owners and that this means there are more than just three blown motors, in turn, you have to also conclude that there are A LOT more owners that have a Procharger who aren't on this board too. Therefore, your percentage (3 out of 13) is not accurate.
Old 10-24-2003, 03:39 PM
D'oh

Originally posted by Jeff@Performance
I'll never tell, but I will post a picture tomorrow of his piston with a hole through it. I'm just not at work right now. And yes, it was a lean condition that caused it. Not putting any blame anywhere, just rebuilding the motor and making some money.
Jeff,

Can you say which cylinder blew?

-D'oh!
Old 10-24-2003, 04:15 PM
shil01

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
Guys, you have to remember that it goes both ways. If you think that this board represents only a small portion of the Procharger owners and that this means there are more than just three blown motors, in turn, you have to also conclude that there are A LOT more owners that have a Procharger who aren't on this board too. Therefore, your percentage (3 out of 13) is not accurate.
Well, I’m sure there are alot more prochargers out there, blown or not. The actual numbers are not accurate. The percentages are. What we have on this board is a good sample of Z owners, if only 5 percent of Z owners are represented here, the simple fact that of this 5 percent (multiply all numbers by 20, the percentages stay the same), 14 have prochargers (guesstimate) and 3 engines have blown. That puts us at 21% risk of a blown motor.
I think this is a fair assessment.
Can ATI prove me wrong?
Old 10-24-2003, 04:20 PM
Ralphus

I think it's stupid to buy an ATI product based on their previous reputation anyway. They are definitely not the company I want to spend my money with, go read some of the domestic forums.

The Stillen is weak, so discluding them, ATI is the only option. What I find strange about that is if you have the money to spend on the ATI kit and want to take the risk of blowing **** up, why not just wait for some of the truly high HP stuff to come out?

Or of course you could just be smart and wait for more options, I guess it's a NOW thing.
Old 10-24-2003, 06:40 PM
N4Spd

what interesting is that the "hole" seems to be at the same place
in both ravaz and jeff's picture. wonder they were the same cylinder number?!?

rob

Quick Reply: ATI PROCHARGER - Do? or Don't?