Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

ATI PROCHARGER - Do? or Don't?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 10:40 PM
N4Spd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default are you sure?

Originally posted by Sanderman
No tuner or after market FI produuct comes with a full warrantly on the motor that's been modded. Why should ATI magically be the first on earth do this?...
joe
From Stillen's website (product is selling, no vapor ware):
So, what makes the STILLEN blower unique? Try a 3yr / 36,000 engine warranty and pending CARB approval! Now, that's peace of mind!
DreamWorkesRacing Super Charger/ Turbo, Press Release
Press Release (not yet released):
All Dream Workes SST systems have a 3 year / 36,000 mile power-train warranty serviceable through authorized Dream Workes or Nissan / Infiniti Dealers and are 50 state emissions legal.
are you sure sanderman?
Old 10-27-2003, 02:55 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Zland, you sound like one of those guys who got cancer from smoking and now want to sue the tobacco companies. It's not the product but HOW YOU USE IT.

Do you and your brother (the master tech from Nissan) have some sort of project that is in direct competition to the ATI Procharger? It sure sounds like it the way you are ripping on this product. I think a disclosure statement is in order here.
Old 10-27-2003, 04:54 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

No Dr. Bonz, not at all. I am just a consumer that is trying to decide about selecting a product. I am guilty of wanting a car with more hp.

I totally understand that the probability of a car being blown up with mods alone goes up just because many guys that FI a car, tend to drive them hard. Nothing abused can withstand it without damage of some sort.

Maybe if ATI looked into the blown motors, they would some how see abuse of the motor. Possibly over reving motors etc. Again, it is not my job to investigate it. I am just showing concern as a consumer that failure happened.

As for my brother, he has and is totally of the camp that it is not a good idea to mod the motor be it NA or FI (especially). His attitude Nissan spent millions of dollars to design this motor and that a small company is unlikely to improve the product with a minimal budget and if they do increase hp etc, then their will most likely be negatives such a reliabilty, smog issues etc.

He is a big fan of factory parts be it spark plugs or sway bars. In his opinion, they are designed for the car, fit better, and in most cases, dont void a warrranty. Again, his attitude is to not ruin a already good car and is less focused on maximum hp gain.

So, as you can see, he is not excited when I mod my car. Yes, he installed my springs for me because it is what I wanted but told me, "I would not do that, all you are going to do is bottom out more, make it hard to rack, and screw up your camber. Then, if you get tire wear uneven, the dealer will tell you they wont warranty it".

You guys talk a lot about hp gains, he talks to me a lot about thousands of cars coming into the dealer and how motors blow and what caused them. We love our cars and it is a hobby for us. To him, working on a car is a job. When he touches it, he has to back his work. If a customer has aftermarket parts in a car and he worked on that part of the car, then it might become an issue if it is his fault to fix it if it breaks right away. He hates dealing with after market parts because they cost him time and money. His approach is to fix it right the first time so it never comes back. You do not gain a customer base by "comebacks".

It is me that wants more hp, me that wants to mod my Z. Yes, I listen to you guys and listen to him too. Of course I consider what he says. I think most of you would too if you had a brother that has work for Nissan and was trained on them from the 411-pre 240Z era to now. BTW, that is a sedan that predates the 510 for some of you that dont go back that far.

There is no motive for me except to find a way to add hp with as few negatives as possible. As the previous thread states, there is already one SC out with a warranty and a possible 2nd one on the way. I dont like the hp gains of Stillen or hood modification required. Maybe the 2nd one coming will have drawbacks I dont like either? What I am hoping is that ATI will have to match their warranty because of competition. Maybe wishful thinking but competition is a good thing. Nissan is a better company with more interesting products because they almost went out of business so do not underestimate competition.

Again, anything that mods a car will most likely increase risk. FI is a high risk level mod. When I installed my springs, I could take them out in an hour and be back stock with maybe a little tire wear. With FI, a poor choice can lead to total engine failure. I am not totally of the camp that FI will ruin your engine but I am being careful in selecting one too.

Last edited by zland; 10-27-2003 at 05:34 AM.
Old 10-27-2003, 02:26 PM
swifty949

if you ever argue with your brother about aftermarket parts, then ask him why is NISMO USA buying aftermarket parts and rebranding them with a NISMO Badge?
Old 10-27-2003, 03:26 PM
Enron Exec

Imagine for a moment that there is a perfectly designed SC or TT kit on the market. It has numerous saftey features and redundent systems. It comes with an awesome program and ECU for FI in a NA car. Basicly, your ideal or perfect kit. Now lets say you allow any guy off the street to either install or tune the kit. What do you have now?
Old 10-27-2003, 04:30 PM
Ralphus

The perfect kit would be easy to install and not require tuning.
Old 10-27-2003, 04:49 PM
swifty949

Originally posted by Ralphus
The perfect kit would be easy to install and not require tuning.
in a perfect world..yes
Old 10-27-2003, 05:51 PM
GaryK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like some people want a kit that can be bolted on by anybody and doesn't require any tuning at all. It doesn't exist...it never will. With any performance mod, especially something like forced induction, you will make compromises and take risks. If you can't live with that, then you shouldn't mod your car.

There is nothing wrong with the ATI kit. Based on what I know, all the issues on ATI cars have come from tuning or pre-existing problems. ATI can't be responsible for everything that happens to the motor on a car with their kit installed. They have no control over the installation and tuning in most cases. Tuning is key!
Old 10-27-2003, 06:52 PM
Sanderman

Default Re: are you sure?

Originally posted by N4Spd
From Stillen's website (product is selling, no vapor ware):

DreamWorkesRacing Super Charger/ Turbo, Press Release
Press Release (not yet released):

are you sure sanderman?
And the Stillen delivers the lowest levels of boost and HP gain of any kit. So little that basically no one wants it. And I bet that if you do ANYTHING else to the induction system (Crawford plenum, etc) that warranty goes bye bye.

DreamWorkesRacing Super Charger/ Turbo? Vaporware. Where is it? Whose actually got it? And what happens if you go off reservation and mod your intake, plenum, headers? Again, I bet that warranty goes bye bye!

You aint gonna find set and forget in the aftermarket tuning area of FI. There is no free lunch here....boost an engine that was not specifically designed for boost and you are taking a risk. If you can't afford to replace the motor if something goes wrong, you're better off not doing it.

joe
Old 10-27-2003, 07:20 PM
N4Spd

Default Re: Re: are you sure?

joe,

I don't want to argue with you, but can't you just
say "I was wrong" instead of blah blah blah excuses?

fact: there IS a FI kit for the 350Z that has a warranty.

in the future, there maybe more, maybe not. IMHO,
competition is good.

rob

ps. notice in the original message, the (not yet released)
comment next to the DreamWorkesRacing where as the
Stillen clearly said "not vapor ware". you didn't say anything
new in your reply other than blah blah blah excuses...

Originally posted by Sanderman
And the Stillen delivers the lowest levels of boost and HP gain of any kit. So little that basically no one wants it. And I bet that if you do ANYTHING else to the induction system (Crawford plenum, etc) that warranty goes bye bye.

DreamWorkesRacing Super Charger/ Turbo? Vaporware. Where is it? Whose actually got it? And what happens if you go off reservation and mod your intake, plenum, headers? Again, I bet that warranty goes bye bye!

You aint gonna find set and forget in the aftermarket tuning area of FI. There is no free lunch here....boost an engine that was not specifically designed for boost and you are taking a risk. If you can't afford to replace the motor if something goes wrong, you're better off not doing it.

joe

Last edited by N4Spd; 10-27-2003 at 07:22 PM.