Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

ATI PROCHARGER - Do? or Don't?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 01:06 PM
shil01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATI PROCHARGER - Do? or Don't?

I know we always hear the negatives and their the ones that stand out the most, but how many good ati procharges are already out there with no problems whatsoever? I know there was a somewhat similar thread a bit ago about this but I want percentages here.
Are we talking 1% of installs go wrong resulting with a blown motor? Or is it like 10%-20%. Not only blown motors but between belts breaking and key thingy's popping out I’m a little concerned with this install (and tune) process.
Are there like thousands of of these ATI kits installed out there and we are just hearing about the problematic ones, or is their a total of like 20 or 50. Is it that hard to install these damn things correctly?
Im just trying to size up my odds here. I need something and it seems like ATI is making the power and its available.
Any ATI reps that can account for procharger sales on the 350Z?
Please help.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:33 PM
350zSpeedRacer

Dr Bonz hasn't had any problems from what I've read.

If you go FI on an NA car, it will always lose some reliability. To make up for that, you just need to make sure the installation is flawless, you watch it carefully (i.e. check the belts, listen closely for ANY weird noises, etc.), and maintain it properly. The Prochargers running 7 pounds of boost can probably run a long time without any problems, as long as you do all the preventitive work...which means you just made your car higher maintenance than it used to be, but hey, that's usually the price you pay for power.
Old 10-22-2003, 02:00 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd wait and wait.

Wait till more F/I solutions come out and start narrowing down which one you like.

Currently...

ATI Procharger
Stillen Supercharger

Future.......

Greddy Twin Turbo
Top Secret Twin Turbo
Power Enterprise Twin Turbo
Prim@ru Twin Turbo
SSR Engineering Turbo
DreamWorksRacing Supercharger
Ultimate Racing Turbo
HKS Twin Turbo
Ziel Motorsports Turbo
Pros Engineering Turbo
Vortech Supercharger
Veilside Supercharger
Old 10-22-2003, 02:02 PM
ForceInduction

Right now it seem like the Procharger kit is solid, and the reliablity comes down to tuning. We have sold a lot of these kits and so far I have not heard any negitive feedback from our customers on the kits we have sold. In a month or less you may see Vortech kit, so this will give you more options.
Old 10-22-2003, 03:16 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I know of 3 blown motors on ATI SC'ers. 2 had burnt pistons. The bottom line is all 3 of these guys ate the cost of the motor repairs. If you like the idea of those risks with your $35,000 Z then you should go buy an ATI SC right away without hesitation.

For me, I want hp really bad but I want the best option for my needs. My goal is 400hp at the crank, warranty on FI unit and motor, and CARB legal. As of now, there is no unit that does all 3 of these things. If I cant get that, I will just drive it without FI.

Currently, the options look like:

1. About 435hp at crank with ATI SC, warranty on SC ONLY, you pay for the motor if/when it blows. 3 have blown in the short time they have been out that I know of. ATI claims they are going for CARB legal but as of now, it is not legal.

2. Stillen SC: 3 year warranty availible on motor/SC. Putting out about 330-350hp at crank. Having problems with pinging at high temps, hopefully intercooler being released soon will eliminate it. Negatives: A. hp not much if any more than NA motors by Mossy/Nismo b. Hood unless you like the cost and look of that mod. C. Not CARB legal yet to my knowledge.

3. NA motor by Mossy or others like them. Cars they have are putting out within 5hp of Stillen set up. No blown motors yet. Cars have been sniffed and pased that part of Smog test in Calif but would fail Visual inspection of test.

4. The Dreamworks SC sounds interesting to me as well as other TT kits listed above. These are not availible yet. Reliability is not known because they have not been tested on the street by Z owners. Promises of being CARB legal as well but then again, promises do not get you to pass smog or pay for parts and labor on repairs to your engine.

You decide....good luck, Jeff

Last edited by zland; 10-22-2003 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-22-2003, 03:20 PM
S12 driver

Doesn't the Proccharger have a tuner version, which is cheaper and doesn't include fuel management. Maybe you can get that version and then buy bigger injectors and have TechnoSquare reflash you ecu.
Old 10-22-2003, 03:27 PM
ravaz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright.. I wouldn't say it was the Kit itself that blew the cars up, it was installation and/or tuning. Install anything like this wrong, tune it wrong, it's going to blow. I'm not eating 100% of the motor repairs, just the parts that I want to upgrade, because it is my choice to do so. Anyway, I say go for the Procharger, it's a good kit solid kit if you can't wait. I'd just wait to see what other options are.
Old 10-22-2003, 03:35 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

ravaz:

You may not consider it a problem but I do consider it a problem when you pay a tuner to install and tune your Z and it does not run 300 miles without ruining your block and major internals. Remember, you never even made it back to your house from the tuner shop after installation. Most of us would be more upset than you about it but I do admire your patience in dealing with your situation. I am sure ATI wishes they had 1000 customers just like you.

Regardless if it is tuner or ATI SC, it is not good IMHO that 3 Z's are completely blown up. I just want all Z owners to know the risk factors. I have no problem with you buying and blowing up 10 VQ's if you are willing to take that risk.

I want shil01 to know how many problems occured and what is the most likely reasons they did occure. I am sure he will make a good chioce on what level of risk he is willing to take to get added hp.
Old 10-22-2003, 03:37 PM
Dissolved

If you want a turbo car , go buy a used z32. They will still be faster when it's all said and done. I can gurantee that. You shouldnt of bought a BRAND NEW 350z if you didnt feel the power was up to par
Old 10-22-2003, 03:50 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally posted by Pure Tremble
If you want a turbo car , go buy a used z32. They will still be faster when it's all said and done. I can gurantee that. You shouldnt of bought a BRAND NEW 350z if you didnt feel the power was up to par
When it is all said and done, he may be right if all you want is straight line performance. On the otherhand, the strenghts of the 350Z are about handling. The 350Z is a well balanced sports car and very capable on the track. That cannot be said for others Z's preceeding it. When have you ever known a Z to beat a BMW M3 and 911 on a track in a magazine article? Well, the 350Z did that and if you track your Z you will learn to appreciate it much more for how well balanced it is. Everything is not measured by 0-60.

The bang for the buck for 0-60 is more oriented towards the Mustang type cars but then again, remember, you got a mustang for better and for worse.

Last edited by zland; 10-22-2003 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-22-2003, 04:01 PM
Yielar

" 2. Stillen SC: 3 year warranty availible on motor/SC. Putting out about 330-350hp at crank. Having problems with pinging at high temps, hopefully intercooler being released soon will eliminate it. Negatives: A. hp not much if any more than NA motors by Mossy/Nismo b. Hood unless you like the cost and look of that mod. C. Not CARB legal yet to my knowledge. "

Just like to add another negative of the Stillen SC kit. The removal of the strut tower brace. That would be my main reason for not going with them along with the hood mod.

Yielar
Old 10-22-2003, 04:03 PM
ravaz

Originally posted by zland
ravaz:

You may not consider it a problem but I do consider it a problem when you pay a tuner to install and tune your Z and it does not run 300 miles without ruining your block and major internals. Remember, you never even made it back to your house from the tuner shop after installation. Most of us would be more upset than you about it but I do admire your patience in dealing with your situation. I am sure ATI wishes they had 1000 customers just like you.
I totally agree with what your saying, people need to be aware of the problems and issues with the kit, every kit. Few things here. I did get home from my trip, 300 miles home. I woke up the next day, took the car out at like 10am, drove it around all day, then at night I ran on the highway against my friend. I can't disclose how fast I was going, doing etc..
Wait till more FI kits come out and see what happens with them, I'm sure people will blow more engines with other kits as well. In a way, I'm kind of happy I blew my block. Yeah, it sucks that I've been without my car for the past ~2 months or so, and I'm still without it, and will be without it for another 2-1/2 months, but believe me when I tell you, I made out BIG time in this. Not saying it's right, and makes up for it, but in the long run, it will.

Anyway, back to the subject. I think you should wait till a few more kits come out, see what the deal is with those, see others experiences, good or not good, and then make a decision. This comes from experience, If I had to do it again, I'd wait a little longer.

-Bill
Old 10-22-2003, 04:59 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

I believe people need to be aware, that with any force induction system there is some level of risk everyone has to be prepared for, whether it is a charger, turbo, NOS, etc....

Personally, I find the pro charger much safer, as it utilizes an intercooler; it is just pushing the top end.

With turbos, you'd best build up on your bottom end. Moreover, turbos are more complex and involved to install; more margin for error due to improper installations.

g

Last edited by 350Zzzz; 10-22-2003 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-22-2003, 05:32 PM
shil01

ehhm...If i want a 350Z...I'll buy one..O wait. I did.

So by modding a car does that means I shouldnt have bought it?
OOKAY...
I love this car..I JUST WANT MORE! Power, handling ect...
I just dont want to spend the money for a Porsche 911!
Instead, I'll buy a sweet 350Z and MOD THE !@#$ out of it!
If I wanted an old bucket with some turbo's then I would have bought one. (Hey Pure, you got a hard on for me or what?)

Anyways, I think the consensus is that the ATI product is good, just make sure its tuned correctly. Either that or wait for all other F/I kits to come out (as Vic stated with his list)
Theres more F/I kits on the horizon then I thought. Maybe I will wait (if i can) and see what else comes out.
BTW- Thanks "Forced Induction" (rep for SuperchargersOnline.com) for posting some feedback. I think we need more vendors posting on these forums.

-Richard
Old 10-22-2003, 05:44 PM
Dissolved

Originally posted by shil01

If I wanted an old bucket with some turbo's then I would have bought one.

-Richard
lol an old bucket. Hey, come to the Z meet in West Chester this Saturday and tell it to those guys. What's really funny is a stage 3 old bucket will hand you your a$$ with your ati procharger. Make sure you wear a t-shirt that says *dumba$$* on it so we'll know it's you.

tsk tsk.
Old 10-22-2003, 05:51 PM
shil01

lol an old bucket. Hey, come to the Z meet in West Chester this Saturday and tell it to those guys. What's really funny is a stage 3 old bucket will hand you your a$$ with your ati procharger. Make sure you wear a t-shirt that says *dumba$$* on it so we'll know it's you.

tsk tsk.
BOIOIOIOIOIOIIIINNNG!!!
Old 10-22-2003, 06:05 PM
350zSpeedRacer

tsk tsk.
Dude, you really need to watch it. You've been posting some pretty rude things today. Please cut it out.
Old 10-22-2003, 06:13 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Where did we get THREE blown engines? All I know is ravez (who just TOLD you that it was tuning AND something he did himself) and Max who we all know pushed his car to the limit with Nitrous before his Procharger was installed. Who was the third?

I now have about 2800 miles on mine and no problems whatsoever. I don't drive like a maniac and I would NEVER use nitrous (not to imply that ravez was driving like a maniac! )
I think that anyone who mods a car has to assume some risk. IMO, the Procharger is going to be a lower risk than some of the TT kits coming out.
Old 10-22-2003, 06:14 PM
N4Spd

Default wait

I don't sell ATI kits.

I don't install ATI kits for money.

I do have the ATI kit.

My recommendation is to wait until DreamWorkesRacing puts out their
supercharger. From the pictures posted, it seems to be
very detailed. They seem to be aiming for a pre-tuned
bolt on so your engine is less dependent on the installer
and tuner. Also, having been at the tuning of the FMU,
waiting another month or two for a better kit is worth
it (especially if you can ditch the aeromotive digital fmu)...

mho,
rob

Last edited by N4Spd; 10-22-2003 at 06:28 PM.
Old 10-22-2003, 06:29 PM
ravaz

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
I don't drive like a maniac and I would NEVER use nitrous (not to imply that ravez was driving like a maniac! )
Yes, Yes I was

Quick Reply: ATI PROCHARGER - Do? or Don't?