Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

vortech MAF issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 04:21 PM
508wrx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vortech MAF issue

To keep it short and sweet. Got the G35 tuned today with a votech on 5.5psi and made 350whp. Around 5k we maxed out the MAF sensor, making it pull fuel.

Idealy we need a bigger MAF tube. Unless there is a MAF mod that im unaware of (which is possilble because i'm mostly a subaru guy(owner of a full built sti)) or a aftermarket big MAF tube.

If any vortech SC owners with some solutions could give me some input it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:02 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate
Premier Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 785 Posts

350whp? Stock vortech blower or T-trim?

Get a aftermarket tuner with a MAP sensor....dont rely on the MAF as it was not designed to run the CFM/PSI your pushing.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:12 PM
508wrx

Its a "stock" blower (SCi trim).

Im using a Cobb accessport to tune, is that compatible with a MAP sensor?
Old 02-19-2010, 06:31 PM
05Z33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you may be the first Cobb AP tuned vortech owner here. I could be wrong though. There is a upgrade MAF you can use. The Osiris guys were using them. Check on the Uprev website. They sell them there.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:34 PM
flynbrin

i know that Church's automotive told me about a MAF tube upgrade for more HP

i think it was like $100

or

try gettin the osiris tune with bigger injectors

i ended up with 412 whp with the stock MAF tube
Old 02-19-2010, 06:45 PM
CeBrwn5454

Research PMAS.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:50 PM
streetzlegend

Originally Posted by 508wrx
To keep it short and sweet. Got the G35 tuned today with a votech on 5.5psi and made 350whp. Around 5k we maxed out the MAF sensor, making it pull fuel.

Idealy we need a bigger MAF tube. Unless there is a MAF mod that im unaware of (which is possilble because i'm mostly a subaru guy(owner of a full built sti)) or a aftermarket big MAF tube.

If any vortech SC owners with some solutions could give me some input it would be greatly appreciated.
How do you know if your maf is maxing out? were you logging the voltage while doing a run? If your sure its the maf maxing out, then getting a bigger inner diameter will allow for more flow without maxing it out, you can also get a Z32 maf (you just gotta do some wiring, no biggie).
Old 02-20-2010, 06:48 AM
508wrx

the MAF voltage was being monitored during the run and maxed out just above 5k. It also shows up on the A/F ratio's because it also starts pulling fuel at the same point.

How many people are running the Z32 MAF on FI kits?
Old 02-20-2010, 06:56 AM
tylerxfire

first off why and how are you only running 5.5 psi? that is lower than the stock pulley even allows...also where are you getting tuned? and u are making a big mistake using that cobb accessport to tune for F/I on the z...read through some threads and see how that worked out for a few others....

pmas is the sensor, but i am at 420whp with stock maf so???
Old 02-20-2010, 09:43 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you need this
http://www.350zmod.com/HPX-MAF-Senso...vq35demmaf.htm

dont mess around jerry rigging anything else, or using a bigger tube.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:50 AM
- bigc -

why are some people able to hit higher boost & HP with the stock MAF and some people are not? i went through this same issue a little while ago (still am, really).

my tuner (and a bunch of folks here) say the hpx maf isn't needed, but some people still run into this issue with the vortech kit.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:39 PM
508wrx

ill probably be getting the HPX.

The lack of boost is possibly a slipping belt. Tighted everthing up this morning.

and the reason for going with the Cobb is because im a subaru person, the AP on a subaru can do anything and everything.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:10 PM
tylerxfire

^^ur not driving a subaru, and do a search and see how others made out with that accessport on boosted z's...who is tuning
Old 02-20-2010, 06:12 PM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by - bigc -
why are some people able to hit higher boost & HP with the stock MAF and some people are not? i went through this same issue a little while ago (still am, really).

my tuner (and a bunch of folks here) say the hpx maf isn't needed, but some people still run into this issue with the vortech kit.
idk, i havent needed it and we logged everything with cipher when i was on the dyno getting tuned and it was fine..I mean it is getting close to the point where i would need aftermarket maf if i say dropped the pulley to add more boost but only because my injectors are small, if i went with bigger injectors and drop the pulley it would be fine still..what is ur issue? what ems and injectors and all are you running? what maf u have now?

Last edited by tylerxfire; 02-20-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:29 PM
508wrx

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
^^ur not driving a subaru, and do a search and see how others made out with that accessport on boosted z's...who is tuning

EFI logics.

What are my other choices? Osiris, ecutek, stand alone?

And thanks for the smart remark. Instead of telling people to just go use the search button give a little insight.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:49 PM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by 508wrx
EFI logics.

What are my other choices? Osiris, ecutek, stand alone?

And thanks for the smart remark. Instead of telling people to just go use the search button give a little insight.
calm down newb..go search around seriously thats the only way ur gonna learn...read thru the F/I builds and what not and what other people are running with similar setups...

osiris, utec, emanage ultimate, are decent, haltech standalone is pricey but worth it...Really it depends on who is tuning the car and what they are familiar with....I do hope u are having someone tune the car who knows what they are doing and have tuned z's or used the ems
Old 02-20-2010, 07:11 PM
508wrx

well seeing as how i already spent the money on the Cobb and got it tuned as is i dont plan on switching engine managments.

All i asked for was a good solution to the MAF issue im having. NOT for you to tell me to go search. If you have a simple solution or a suggestion great, thanks. If not then click the back button.

And yes i did search. Ive been around forums for a while so i know the routine. I couldnt find anything directly linked to my problem so i posted a thread.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:51 PM
- bigc -

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
idk, i havent needed it and we logged everything with cipher when i was on the dyno getting tuned and it was fine..I mean it is getting close to the point where i would need aftermarket maf if i say dropped the pulley to add more boost but only because my injectors are small, if i went with bigger injectors and drop the pulley it would be fine still..what is ur issue? what ems and injectors and all are you running? what maf u have now?
similar issue with AFR leaning out above 5800 rpms. difference is when i was first dyno tuned, this didn't happen...AFR held steady (high 10s / low 11s) all the way up to redline. i'm tuned with a technosquare ecu reflash (dyno tuned), am running a stock MAF, 2.87 pulley, 600cc injectors, and a walbro pump. i know the reflash can tune the car correctly, but something in the ECU is fighting the tune off over time & at certain RPMs.

Last edited by - bigc -; 02-20-2010 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:26 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You need the HPX MAF and a retune since it's going to change everything, but at least it's not going to max out.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:19 AM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by - bigc -
similar issue with AFR leaning out above 5800 rpms. difference is when i was first dyno tuned, this didn't happen...AFR held steady (high 10s / low 11s) all the way up to redline. i'm tuned with a technosquare ecu reflash (dyno tuned), am running a stock MAF, 2.87 pulley, 600cc injectors, and a walbro pump. i know the reflash can tune the car correctly, but something in the ECU is fighting the tune off over time & at certain RPMs.
im not a fan of reflash for F/I, uprev is growing on me because it has proven to do good, but the flash u have im not so sure of...U should have plenty of fuel for your setup, maybe u need the upgraded maf with the flash for some reason, as it seems people who use uprev end up needing it also

Quick Reply: vortech MAF issue