Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Big boost?.. Was it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 12:37 AM
TheMinel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flo-ridaZ33
Alberto... at what horsepower did you really start breaking things? I'm really starting to think 500whp is what I'm aiming for

that's also been my aim after a lot of research.

if you really want to drive the car on the road too, too much hp and tq will only make our car undriveable anyway
Old 03-14-2010, 12:17 PM
GBoger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the answer to your automotive query is no. Buy a z06 corvette and do I/D/E and call it a day. People will flame me for saying that but thats more car than 99% of drivers can handle right off the showroom floor. and you'll come out cheaper within a year of owning either vehicle.
Old 03-14-2010, 02:02 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

I agree for the most part but the reason I won't buy a Z06 is because they have depreciated like crazy. My buddy bought one brand new in 08 for $76k and ended up selling it in 09 for $50k when he bought a Viper. I'm looking at a couple Porsches but really want to finish my Z. Thanks for the info
Old 03-14-2010, 03:31 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

and like the 38k$ Z's that are 12,000$ now didnt take a crap in resale. I think the G/Z has some of the lowest resale of any popular car i've seen.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:49 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

There's no 08 Grand Touring or Nismo that are going $12k guy... Not to mention 09 370's are still in the $30's your wrong. When your initial investment is $76k and in 2yrs it depreciates $26K and rapidly falling. For speed.. Yea vette is the way to go but we must compare apples to apples. If I wanted something like that I wouldve bought an o4 Porsche Turbo and put about $10k and be faster than my Z and a Z06.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:09 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

**** do you care about depriciation when your modding a car so heavily?
Old 03-14-2010, 04:53 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Hell no... I've already surpassed the price of the Z. I only paid $16,900 for my Z back in 07 and me modding my Z is more of a hobby. Buying a high end Vette or Porsche would be nice but modding those is on another level completely. Besides I already got the info from Alberto and some of the other guys I required... But in true my350.com fashion there's always that one hater that tries to make a point about something everyone else that has posted on my thread can give 3 ***** about. Thanks and just move along
Old 03-15-2010, 12:25 AM
nyqueenz

I have all the parts and I'm really debating whether I'm going to do it. I mean do the boosted dude's ever sit back and say.."damn I wish I didnt".

In case your wondering I have:

Greddy Tuner Kit
AAM Stg 1
Utec
Walbro 255
Koyo Radiator
Stillen Oil cooler
DW 550's for now... bigger depending on the boost.

I was looking at the Forged Performance Block and looking for 600whp. I searched the forum and really just saw different set ups, disasters, or which kit to get. I'm actually only looking for feeback from boosted guys... Thanks for your time.
looks like you just have enough to get by on maybe 390 WHP on a stock block of course.. if you dont plan on buildin. I'm also runnin the 20g greddy tuner kit which i beleive by far a really great kit but i went ahead and pulled the triger on a fully built VQDE i just seen to many blown stock blocks in my day to not go build. Good luck with your choice bro.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:53 AM
captj3

I have all the parts and I'm really debating whether I'm going to do it. I mean do the boosted dude's ever sit back and say.."damn I wish I didnt".

In case your wondering I have:

Greddy Tuner Kit
AAM Stg 1
Utec
Walbro 255
Koyo Radiator
Stillen Oil cooler
DW 550's for now... bigger depending on the boost.

I was looking at the Forged Performance Block and looking for 600whp. I searched the forum and really just saw different set ups, disasters, or which kit to get. I'm actually only looking for feeback from boosted guys... Thanks for your time.
Your will need to add cams and larger injectors to the list in order to get to 600 hp. Are you chasing a number and stuck at 600? You may find low to upper 500's to satisfy your needs. The car is wicked fast at that power level. To answer your other question I would bet, at least 50% of the people boosted would say they regret doing it behind closed doors.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:14 AM
Flo-ridaZ33

Lol.. I think so too. I know I'm limited right now with my injectors, I kinda wanted to stay away from cams for the moment. I'm now aiming for the 500WHP mark, Most of the guys with big boost pretty much said thats when they start breaking things.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:19 AM
nyqueenz

Lol.. I think so too. I know I'm limited right now with my injectors, I kinda wanted to stay away from cams for the moment. I'm now aiming for the 500WHP mark, Most of the guys with big boost pretty much said thats when they start breaking things.
U are limited to your stock VQ.. if i were you i would build. just seen to many blown VQs an thats on low boost.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:34 AM
Flo-ridaZ33

yea def.. I'm going to jump on a Forged block.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:48 AM
Synjn

This is my second Z. First one was NA with full bolt ons. New one, SC obviously with built motor.

I'm new to FI so I havn't run into the many problems I hear about. This is my daily driver and I wouldnt trade back for that NA, no way. I'll deal with the problems as they come.
You certainly don't need to go and buy another car; I have a motorcycle, so that helps but if you build modestly and properly you can have reliability and longevity. Least in my experience.

If you overbuild the car to the point where you don't want to drive it... Where's the fun in that?

quick question: My buddy has an 01 turbo 911. Been driving for 40k without any FI issues, and he drives it hard.
Can I not expect similar reliability out of a built VQ with forged internals, assuming similar boost levels. What is a stock 911 turbo psi anyway?

Spend the money and build the block. Do it right the first time. Less headach later.

OR go Supercharged and not worry about massive TQ spikes : )

Last edited by Synjn; 03-15-2010 at 07:54 AM.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:04 AM
Flo-ridaZ33

Well to answer the Porsche question.. I'd have to say that the Porsche would be more reliable b/c it was initially built for boost, its a $100k(new) car so its going to have $100k technology, Cooling/Oil cooling as amazing.. thats how they come with no mods whatsoever. I initially bought a Vortech but it was taking forever to get to me and I'm only in the US for 4-6 months a year and I needed it ASAP, so I picked up the Tuner instead. I'll be gone again for 4/5months so I'll be posting my build when I return.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:24 AM
Synjn

Well to answer the Porsche question.. I'd have to say that the Porsche would be more reliable b/c it was initially built for boost, its a $100k(new) car so its going to have $100k technology, Cooling/Oil cooling as amazing.. thats how they come with no mods whatsoever. I initially bought a Vortech but it was taking forever to get to me and I'm only in the US for 4-6 months a year and I needed it ASAP, so I picked up the Tuner instead. I'll be gone again for 4/5months so I'll be posting my build when I return.
There's the same parts in a Porsche engine that in a VQ. Or any engine for that matter.
Unless porsche is using titanium internals, which we know they are not, I don't see what makes the porsche block any more stout. From the looks. One's horizontally opposed, one is V. You mean to tell me that porsche pistons, rods, and crank, block etc are so far superior to say: A VQ with weisco pistons, eagle rods, on a sleeved block. 100k better? I think not.

My motor is rated to 600hp. Porsche's shortblock is probably rated to somewhere about the same. Or am i just crazy?

Well good luck with your build. Keep us posted. If I didnt' live in cali i'd def go turbo though. As it stands, I can't take full advantage of my block's capacity. But then again like I said, modesty = longevity. If it's rated to 600 and I stay around 450, think it should last a while.

Last edited by Synjn; 03-15-2010 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:05 AM
Reality350

Originally Posted by Synjn
There's the same parts in a Porsche engine that in a VQ. Or any engine for that matter.
Unless porsche is using titanium internals, which we know they are not, I don't see what makes the porsche block any more stout. From the looks. One's horizontally opposed, one is V. You mean to tell me that porsche pistons, rods, and crank, block etc are so far superior to say: A VQ with weisco pistons, eagle rods, on a sleeved block. 100k better? I think not.

My motor is rated to 600hp. Porsche's shortblock is probably rated to somewhere about the same. Or am i just crazy?

Well good luck with your build. Keep us posted. If I didnt' live in cali i'd def go turbo though. As it stands, I can't take full advantage of my block's capacity. But then again like I said, modesty = longevity. If it's rated to 600 and I stay around 450, think it should last a while.
996 tt -engine can handle a tonne of boost.. IIRC, stock block can handle close to 900whp... most built block vq's can only dream of that...

Edit: I only wish I could find a mint condition 993 tt.. imo, the sexiest pcar they ever made.

Last edited by Reality350; 03-15-2010 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:20 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

aND ONE MORE FOR TALKING ABOUT YOU sc IN A THREAD ABOUT bIG bOOST...

Old 03-15-2010, 09:48 AM
Synjn

Educate me. I need input... : )
Old 03-15-2010, 10:48 AM
Flo-ridaZ33

Educate me. I need input... : )
A 997 Twin Turbo makes 500hp.. a 997 GT3 makes 435hp out of a N/A 3.8liter flat six.. The Turbo makes close to what your limited to and a N/A makes what you make now. Its really that simple.. $100k+ Flagship Porsche Flat-6 > $35k Built VQ35DE/HR V6. I'm not knocking the VQ but c'mon man... Facts are facts.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:57 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

my biggest complaint... the freaking clutches to hold all the power. trying to daily drive around town with these grabby, no slip clutches is a nightmare. are the clutches in high horsepower factory cars just as unforgiving? lets say for instance a C6 Z06, is the clutch easy to drive?

Quick Reply: Big boost?.. Was it worth it?