Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Big boost?.. Was it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 09:19 AM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phunk
just make sure you have another car.

whoever started this whole "building the engine for more reliability" was not thinking straight.

you build a motor so that the internals can handle more HP, thats it. With that more HP, you are losing reliability in every other part of the drivetrain, the only thing you can "rely" on more is to not throw a rod thru the block or crack a piston. You are also *decreasing* reliability because now every little thing in your engine bay has been ****ed with by someone.

While my car has never once broke down on me... I would still have to have a pretty twisted sense of "reliable" to think that I could depend on that car like I can my stock 370z.
Extremely well put
Old 03-09-2010, 10:41 AM
CAB350z

I had a built 99 vr4 heavy boost never regreted it, even after the engine blew... this is why im boosting mine right now
Old 03-09-2010, 10:54 AM
suprasam

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love cars and I love driving...driving a boosted z/g is fun and I get on my car when I can. I've been thinking/dreaming about boostin my car since 05 and I had the money to do so. My only regret is not readily having a second car. Some things you like to do may not be financially responsible and not offer great, if any, returns but they can be fun.

Last edited by suprasam; 03-09-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:58 AM
thom000001

I will say this.......for the few (ok like 3 of us that have been that high lol)

Seeing that boost gauge spin to 30psi is a little un-nerving......especially on a motor that was never intended to see boost initially lol.

Tom
Old 03-09-2010, 11:03 AM
suprasam

^^^ Tom, 30 psi sounds crazy...I'm still getting used to my "high boost" 14.5 psi.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:47 AM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

I remember back when high boost was....

10psi on a bone stock greddy kit
Old 03-09-2010, 02:50 PM
StuLax18
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,339 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Nexx
FML is right, make sure you disconnect the negative when you dont plan on driving your car frequently. Damn haltech sucks up so much juice, my optima red top dies in less than two weeks if not driven.
Sounds like you need me to babysit it?
Old 03-09-2010, 03:07 PM
UMW350Z

My battery drain went away when I ditched the UTEC...it's nice that it starts on cue now.

It seems like the answer to this question depends on who you ask OP, but Tom is right, your best chance of success is to take it somewhere reputable. Shop proximity just might be the biggest deal-killer (for me at least) for a built motor this fall.

The biggest question is...5,000 for a reliable street bike or another 10k+ to finish the motor...hmmmmmm

Last edited by UMW350Z; 03-09-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:19 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto

Everyday that passes I feel like I regret the decision to go so crazy on this car more and more.

I feel like Id rather be driving my old NA setup and enjoying it daily at no cost above stock for maintenance, than spending money on fixing my car, trailering it around, caring for it more and never driving it because its become such a pain in my d!ck. Id drive it now but the battery is dead again. I dont even trust my car for a 2.5hr trip to the Ocean.

FML
Bert get a fuking battery tender and dont worry about that little Braile you got in there.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:24 PM
mistanismo

It blows my mind that people even consider boost if they cannot afford a second DD etc.

Boosting is great, if you can afford the maintenance. From what I have read thus far (couple months of trolling etc), newer users / potential candidate always consider the initial cost (complete kit/install/tune etc) as the 'expense' of boost... that's just not the reality.

It's just like buying a car. The initial purchase is just the start, it's only more $ from there.

If you *think* you can't afford it... you probably can't, that's just the reality unfortunately, and why as of now I'm NA... might as well do it right and be reasonable.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:51 PM
BonesZ33

Originally Posted by jeffie7
Alberto start disconnection your battery, I remove my neg side everytime I pull into the garage, for some reason the Z draws enough power to knock out a battery over a few weeks if the car just sits around. I learned this the hard way, 2 dead batteries later. and many jump starts.
If you continue to do this, you will eventually get a CEL code, for not having sufficient ECU "back-up" or something. I forget the code number but I've gotten it before. Never had a problem with draining my batteries, Sounds like you have a short somewhere.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:56 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

I doubt i would go big again. My car worked great at around the 400whp mark if i could go back i would keep it there.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:59 PM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BonesZ33
If you continue to do this, you will eventually get a CEL code, for not having sufficient ECU "back-up" or something. I forget the code number but I've gotten it before. Never had a problem with draining my batteries, Sounds like you have a short somewhere.
Whatever it might be, it use to happen when I had nothing more then an exhaust and pop charger.

If I get a cel I'll just wipe it.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:19 PM
themadhatterxxx

Originally Posted by JAM3Z
Yeah this is an absolute must. I've been very busy for the past few months so I haven't been driving the Z regularly. Anytime I know I won't be taking it out for a while o disconnect th battery. I have a feeling my UTEC is causing the trouble.

Having a second car is also a must.
What makes you think its the UTEC?
Old 03-09-2010, 07:37 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Haltech should not suck up any juice when the car is off. Nor should the UTEC. I've left my car for a week or more at a time when out of town and it always starts up just fine. I do have a complicated setup with built in car PC, aftermarket audio, etc that runs off a 2nd battery in the trunk but I use a battery controller which disconnects all the crap in the trunk including the 2nd battery when the ignition goes off. Are you guys powering crap in the trunk? A large capacitor perhaps for your audio system?

Last edited by rcdash; 03-10-2010 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:02 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Boostedtrack350
OP, have you ever driven a boosted Z?
Not a Boosted Z but I have driven a Z06 with about 550whp and a TT 04 Cobra with 638whp... I'm basing my set up around those experiences.

Originally Posted by thom000001
All depends on your definition of worth.

If you think its an investment...you are wrong lol.....
Make sure its what YOU want. And learn from other's mistakes, go to the right places/people for EVERYTHING

Tom
Yea its def not viewed as an investment... I'm actually looking at Forged for the block.
Originally Posted by mistanismo
It blows my mind that people even consider boost if they cannot afford a second DD etc. Boosting is great, if you can afford the maintenance. From what I have read thus far (couple months of trolling etc), newer users / potential candidate always consider the initial cost (complete kit/install/tune etc) as the 'expense' of boost... that's just not the reality.

It's just like buying a car. The initial purchase is just the start, it's only more $ from there.

If you *think* you can't afford it... you probably can't, that's just the reality unfortunately, and why as of now I'm NA... might as well do it right and be reasonable.
Money isn't my problem... my daily is an almighty 2010 Toyo Yaris. My 100hp beast gets 29mpg city and 35mpg hwy, it only costs $27 to fill it up. I'm actually getting the vibe that the guys have have made it past the 600whp plateau for the most part regret it and the guys that are in the 500whp area really like it... I've already put about $25k in the car(not including the original price) and was just getting the opinions of you guys before I drop another 10k.

Last edited by Flo-ridaZ33; 03-09-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:23 PM
SatchScream

OP, please correct your signature. It is really, really bothering me.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:55 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SatchScream
OP, please correct your signature. It is really, really bothering me.
Lol seriously? Wow
Old 03-10-2010, 09:38 AM
makopolo

Originally Posted by winchman
I can race around like crazy without breaking 3000 RPM, and that's hardly making the engine work at all. What do you need more power for?
What kind of fun are you having bellow 3000 RPM? The fun starts at least 1k above that.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:06 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by superchargedg
Bert get a fuking battery tender and dont worry about that little Braile you got in there.
I ditched the Braille years ago old man get caught up!

I did have it on a tender but the car sleeps outside now due to other circumstances, so no tender I let it die away.

See you Saturday still right? You better not be a queer and b!tch out...

Quick Reply: Big boost?.. Was it worth it?