Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My HKS S/C Installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 07:31 PM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by _ink
Thanks Jonny!

All my pulleys are stock size with whatever came with the kit.

If i change my stock crank pulley with the ATI and replace the 95mm SC pulley with a 90mm pulley will i be able to retain all the stock belts? Or will they need to be replaced?

What will be the gains of upgrading these pulleys and will this require a retune?
You will be overspinning the blower if you do the ATI and the 90mm sc pulley. Safer imo to keep the stock crank pulley and go with a 85mm pulley. If you do a larger crank pulley like the ATI, then keep the 95mm stock supercharger pulley.

Or just keep it the way it is for peace of mind and longevity, unless you really want more power.

No one can really tell what kind of gains you will get, every setup is different. Almost best to get a retune or dyno to make sure everything is ok, but I don't think timing values will change, boost just might hit quicker and be more. A/F target should relatively stay the same. But I'm no expert. Best to ask your tuner.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:55 PM
_ink

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jonnylaw
You will be overspinning the blower if you do the ATI and the 90mm sc pulley. Safer imo to keep the stock crank pulley and go with a 85mm pulley. If you do a larger crank pulley like the ATI, then keep the 95mm stock supercharger pulley.

Or just keep it the way it is for peace of mind and longevity, unless you really want more power.

No one can really tell what kind of gains you will get, every setup is different. Almost best to get a retune or dyno to make sure everything is ok, but I don't think timing values will change, boost just might hit quicker and be more. A/F target should relatively stay the same. But I'm no expert. Best to ask your tuner.
Thanks Jonny.

I know i'll be overspinning, but from your calculations it won't work to be all that much right? And also, how much time do we actually spend up in the upper rev range?

If i were to take your advice and stay on the safe side and go with a 85mm SC pulley, i will need a new smaller belt right?

Or if i went with the ATI pulley with stock 95mm pulley, would i need a new belt?
Old 08-08-2010, 10:00 PM
jonnylaw

Thanks Jonny.

I know i'll be overspinning, but from your calculations it won't work to be all that much right? And also, how much time do we actually spend up in the upper rev range?

If i were to take your advice and stay on the safe side and go with a 85mm SC pulley, i will need a new smaller belt right?

Or if i went with the ATI pulley with stock 95mm pulley, would i need a new belt?
If you went with the 85mm SC pulley, you would need a smaller SC belt. stock pulley used Bando 1060, GTM 85mm used Bando 1040.

If you went with the ATI pulley and kept the SC pulley in place, you would need different belts for the alternator side and the A/C side.

The added benefit of the ATI crank pulley is that it is dampened for crank protection of torsional vibrations.

Last edited by jonnylaw; 08-08-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:23 AM
_ink

Going with the ATI sounds like the better option, more boost with the added benefits of a dampened crank to reduce vibrations.

So which belt will i need if i go down this route Jonny?

Sorry for all the questions, but you seem to be the encyclopedia for everything HKS and 350z.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:33 AM
jonnylaw

Going with the ATI sounds like the better option, more boost with the added benefits of a dampened crank to reduce vibrations.

So which belt will i need if i go down this route Jonny?

Sorry for all the questions, but you seem to be the encyclopedia for everything HKS and 350z.
Also, the ATI (being almost an inch larger in outside diameter than stock, will allow for slighly more belt wrap, given the larger surface area, and less tension needed.

As far as the length of the belt, given the added variable of the different HKS idle pulley, I do not know of the length off hand for the belt for the alternator side. Belts are currently being fitted for my setup with the ATI pulley (possibly a variety of different size belts will be tried until the best one is found). I will let you know the size that works best when I found out. The A/C is underdriven, so will require a new belt as well. Many ATI users go with the Gates K040343 for the A/C side, it just need to be tensioned down a few times.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:52 AM
vashuba311

what 1/4 times are people getting with the hks?
Old 08-10-2010, 09:19 AM
IanP

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

reply from HKS europe about the bigger blower

Unfortunately it is not possible to simply upgrade to the GTS8550 unit with the hardware you already have. To upgrade a considerable amount of custom fabrication would need to be done.<o></o>
<o></o>
The GTS8550 is quite a lot larger than the S/C supplied in the 350Z kits and will not bolt to your existing supercharger mounting bracket without a fair amount of modification. There will also be issues regarding pipe work attachment and physical space limitation for the Supercharger itself.<o></o>
<o></o>
However it is not impossible and has been done by HKS USA using the base 350Z supercharger kit hardware:<o></o>
<o></o>
Some of the major modifications were:<o></o>
· Modifying the S/C bracket so the GTS8550 can be mounted lower and moved out.<o></o>
· The entire intake suction side needed to be re-done.<o></o>
· All of the I/C piping was changed. The inlet side pipe diameter was also changed from 50à60mm and the outlet side was changed from 60/65à70mm. The 600x300x65 S-Type core (previously upgraded) was retained.<o></o>
· We had to use a longer S/C belt due to the new position of the GTS8550.<o></o>
Old 08-10-2010, 09:23 AM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vashuba311
what 1/4 times are people getting with the hks?
Good question. Not sure I've seen any times from the Z guys.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:15 PM
Ruthless18x

Possibly.

Absolutely UNTRUE. Where are you getting this information? GTM spec blowers improve efficiency and the custom pulley increase psi. These 2 things work together to achieve extra boost/power.
I was unsuccessful in trying to contact GTM today. I will continue to try and contact Sam for more info, but can anyone of you guys, or jonnylaw, explain what is different between the HKS blower and the GTM modified?

Does the GTM modified version void any warranties associated with HKS?
Old 08-10-2010, 06:23 PM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos
Premier Member

I could be wrong, but i think all they do is machine the inlet of the supercharger to allow more air in.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:29 PM
jonnylaw

Originally Posted by Ruthless18x
I was unsuccessful in trying to contact GTM today. I will continue to try and contact Sam for more info, but can anyone of you guys, or jonnylaw, explain what is different between the HKS blower and the GTM modified?
GTM spec blower has a ported compressor housing to allow greater flow/better efficiency. I think there may be a choke point with the stock unit and the machining takes it away (unsure though).

Are you considering the HKS kit, after selling the Powerlab?

Last edited by jonnylaw; 08-10-2010 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:45 PM
jonnylaw

I wonder what are the effects of the machining?

Does it simply allow for more air to be passed through? Could it have any effect impeller speeds?

Last edited by jonnylaw; 08-10-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:12 PM
Ruthless18x

GTM spec blower has a ported compressor housing to allow greater flow/better efficiency. I think there may be a choke point with the stock unit and the machining takes it away (unsure though).

Are you considering the HKS kit, after selling the Powerlab?
Yeah I am. The reasons being I'm going to be pushing the car very hard on the track and I would feel a lot more comfortable with my driving with this kit, also because I don't think I'm ready for 400 whp. I'm still learning how to push myself in HPDE so I'm thinking this might be the perfect kit to grow with. I don't do much drag, just auto-x / HPDE.

Also I would feel more comfortable with this kit on my stock block based on my driving habits. A built motor is not something I'm looking for right now, though I will use my partial sponsorship for new BC cams and springs.

Thanks for the info on the GTM. I wonder what the effects are, specifically, as well.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:22 AM
ITOzann

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^You'll have tons of fun with the hks kit ^.^
Old 08-11-2010, 11:08 AM
Ruthless18x

I spoke with Sam @ GTM today and he answered a few of my questions.

- Sam could not give me details on the modifications of the kit, but I do believe it has to do with the housing be machined.* He said nothing was done to the impeller so there would be no change in the mechanical components of the unit. However he did say that the modifications are not HKS authorized but I think we already knew that. *I guess I’m just not sure if it is worth the extra $1600 for the Stage 5 kit, for 30 or less hp / tq.* I’ve seen a few stock Stage 0 kits put down numbers in the 330’s without any other modifications and auto transmissions. I’m wondering if I can make up another 30 on the stock blower.

- He did not confirm that the GTM unit improves the efficiency range over the stock unit. I’d like to compare dyno’s on a stock blower vs. gtm blower on cars with m/t’s and similar mods.

- He advised me on not using any cams over a stage 1 setup.* He said that larger 272 cams would throw the blower out of its efficiency range.* Now this is on my setup, being a track duty car only. I definitely want to look into this one further for more explanation.

- He agreed with both of my ideas of running meth / water on the track as well as a stock sized pulley and ATI dampener.* Also he agreed this would be one of the best kits for a full time track car, contradictory to many opinions saying more power is better. He was very helpful and I understand why he couldn’t give me more information.

All I’m looking for is more power on the straights and coming out of the corners while being a reliable track car, not 600 WHP to drive to Target and take some chick to dinner. I have a DD for that ********.
I’m sold on this kit, I just need to figure out a few more things like stage, cams, meth, exhaust, etc.

Last edited by Ruthless18x; 08-11-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:17 PM
jonnylaw

^^base complete kit is $4500 (stage 0). Stage 1 with gtm spec blower, walbro, and intercooler temp guage is ~1200 more. Stage 5 is $4500 more, where did you get the $1600 more for stage 5 figure?

If you look at the gtm hks gt sc release thread, you will see right in the description that stage 1 includes machining of the supercharger to increase it's efficiency. Sorry I can't post the link to the thread because I am posting from my phone.

I think you will be happy with the kit for your goals. I would recommend at least the stage 1 kit with the modified blower. Stage 0 seems to average around 300-310 whp. Stage 1 usually sees 330whp. The other stages are nice too bc they come with fuel and ems upgrades, but i guess it all depends on your goals and plan forward. If u get a stage 0 or stage 1, I would still recommend upgrading your fuel system.

Last edited by jonnylaw; 08-11-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:04 PM
Ruthless18x

^^base complete kit is $4500 (stage 0). Stage 1 with gtm spec blower, walbro, and intercooler temp guage is ~1200 more. Stage 5 is $4500 more, where did you get the $1600 more for stage 5 figure?

If you look at the gtm hks gt sc release thread, you will see right in the description that stage 1 includes machining of the supercharger to increase it's efficiency. Sorry I can't post the link to the thread because I am posting from my phone.

I think you will be happy with the kit for your goals. I would recommend at least the stage 1 kit with the modified blower. Stage 0 seems to average around 300-310 whp. Stage 1 usually sees 330whp. The other stages are nice too bc they come with fuel and ems upgrades, but i guess it all depends on your goals and plan forward. If u get a stage 0 or stage 1, I would still recommend upgrading your fuel system.
Stage 5 Tuner is the kit I was talking about.

I will be running 600cc DW's, full fuel return, and a Walbro for the fuel system, and a bunch of other **** too.

Last edited by Ruthless18x; 08-11-2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:13 PM
jonnylaw

^^I didn't know there was a stage 5 "tuner", so it doesn't include fuel or ems upgrades? Isn't that essentially a stage 3 kit? But you want all the fuel upgrades the stage 5 kit comes with, but don't want the vpro or reflash?
https://my350z.com/forum/5895312-post1.html

If you plan on using a ATI and stock 95mm SC pulley, why not get the stage 1 kit ($5627) and save some money if you don't want/need the gtm 85mm pulley?

Last edited by jonnylaw; 08-11-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:30 PM
ITOzann

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what is a stage 5 tuner kit? any links?
Old 08-11-2010, 07:41 PM
jonnylaw

Are you guys having to tighten belts after belt install and proper tension reached? If so, how often?

Quick Reply: My HKS S/C Installation