Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My HKS S/C Installation

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 06:46 AM
cdoxp800

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by _ink
Yes i think you should convince him!

You should get a minimum of 5 orders here.
I am trying. I am guessing about $150.00 each w/out the filter. The filter is a K&N RU-2820 . I had to order it from my local auto parts store. You can also search e-bay and find it a bit cheaper.

Originally Posted by jonnylaw
nice cdox. Let me know about that maf plug, I might be interested in plugging mine up, since I am running off of map.

I'm also running off the MAP and using the fcon that the HKS kit came with.

If i am running off the MAP, what sort of data is the ECU getting from the MAF?
As for the MAF plug. I think the ECU still needs the MAF for you guys with the fcon. You may want to check just to be sure, but I am petty positive you still need it.

Also that for all the great comments guys.

Last edited by cdoxp800; 09-06-2010 at 06:49 AM.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:22 AM
cdoxp800

Ok, got the MAF plug cad design all done and submitted. Quote came back for $183.71 each. So that being said, I am going to look around locally and see what I can get it made for here.

Latest Design Pic's:

Old 09-06-2010, 12:06 PM
ITOzann

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm ready to order an intake pipe ^.^ I don't need a filter or couplers tho. Paypal ready anytime
Old 09-06-2010, 12:51 PM
IanP

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice work. Some nice temp drops there
Old 09-06-2010, 03:07 PM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice setup...I did the something similar on my Vortech out of an injen intake...

Out of curiousity have had the car re-dynoed? I ask because when I installed my intake on my car my car definitely ran cooler but I noticed it ran a little richer too...when I took it in to re-dyno with the new intake I lost 2 psi (keep in mind my modified setup runs 17.5 psi)...the boost curve was exactly the same until around 11~12 psi then when slightly down from there to about 15 psi max...

Maybe the intake only affects higher than 12 psi setups, as most Vortech and HKS supercharger setups run up to 8~10psi...

Originally Posted by cdoxp800
[SIZE=3]Ok all, I got my new intake built today. First off let me say my air intake temp dropped at both idle and at 55mph

Attached Thumbnails My HKS S/C Installation-img_0330.jpg  

Last edited by 350z006; 09-06-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:41 PM
_ink

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ You may have lost power due to the inconsistency of the intake pipe.

But you have raised a valid question. The extended length of the intake pipe can possibly decrease the acceleration or 'vortex' effect of the air velocity causing the loss of power. This is a completely hypothetical assumption from a novice though... thoughts?
Old 09-07-2010, 05:23 PM
cdoxp800

Originally Posted by 350z006
Nice setup...I did the something similar on my Vortech out of an injen intake...

Out of curiousity have had the car re-dynoed? I ask because when I installed my intake on my car my car definitely ran cooler but I noticed it ran a little richer too...when I took it in to re-dyno with the new intake I lost 2 psi (keep in mind my modified setup runs 17.5 psi)...the boost curve was exactly the same until around 11~12 psi then when slightly down from there to about 15 psi max...

Maybe the intake only affects higher than 12 psi setups, as most Vortech and HKS supercharger setups run up to 8~10psi...
^^ You may have lost power due to the inconsistency of the intake pipe.

But you have raised a valid question. The extended length of the intake pipe can possibly decrease the acceleration or 'vortex' effect of the air velocity causing the loss of power. This is a completely hypothetical assumption from a novice though... thoughts?
I have not lost any Boost that I can see. Peaking at 10psi still. _ink has a valid point. I guess I'll see once I get everything all done. I am currently running my stock cats, because the berks HFC' blew apart. I working on new HFC's.

Last edited by cdoxp800; 09-13-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:06 AM
cdoxp800

Well Berk came through form on some New HFC's. I should have them by Friday. I have also been logging some data with Cipher.
I have had this on going issue with the idle and Hot starting. I am seeing that my A/F Correction Factors are all over the place at times. The A/F Correction Factors should be close to 100.00% (+/- 10%). Mine are going above 125% and below 75% at times. Now when I first start the car from a cold start I am at the 100% mark. But once it gets hot it's all over the place.
So till I can get the car out to UpRev I am going back to my GTM Base ROM and OEM MAF. This will keep things safe for the time being.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:16 PM
_ink

Awesome! Any particular reason on why you chose the Berks? (do you have a link to them?)

What do you think is the cause of the A/F readings?
Old 09-14-2010, 08:36 PM
cdoxp800

Awesome! Any particular reason on why you chose the Berks? (do you have a link to them?)

What do you think is the cause of the A/F readings?
I have had Berks for the Past two years. The folks at Berk have been real good to me on replacements.
http://www.berktechnology.com/

I am thinking it has to do with injector scaling and the PMAS. It's never really been right since day one.

Last edited by cdoxp800; 09-21-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:46 PM
_ink

I thought you were having the same issues with the berk hfc's though?
Old 09-21-2010, 01:54 PM
cdoxp800

I thought you were having the same issues with the berk hfc's though?
Yes, but Berk has revised the HFC once more.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:02 PM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry man if I'm re-hatching an old suggestion, but did you check the fuel pressure. The problems you mentioned about the idle, unstable fuel A/F, and hot starts seem related to a possible unstable fuel flow.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:10 PM
cdoxp800

Originally Posted by Zazz93
Sorry man if I'm re-hatching an old suggestion, but did you check the fuel pressure. The problems you mentioned about the idle, unstable fuel A/F, and hot starts seem related to a possible unstable fuel flow.
That did not seem to be the issue. FP is steady.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:18 PM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was driving the car home, and the car got real loud all of the sudden, lower pitch and louder/big time drone in cabin. Car feels a little slugglish. no cels, oil pressure, fuel pressure, temps ok. I did notice that before this, the exhaust note would kind of "gurgle" occasionaly when decelerating.

Could this be an exhaust leak (blown header/cat/exhaust gasket) or a clogged/collapsed cat(s)? Any other possibilities?

After I noticed the louder/deeper/crappier sound and drone, I did not push the car, but I did notice that reported boost was lower than when the car sounded normal. I thought that if a cat collapsed, then backpressure would increase and psi would increase on a supercharged setup? Maybe I am wrong in thinking this? I guess the mettalic core could have gotten blown out and stuck somewhere in the exhaust? That would really suck, but I have no idea since it's night and I can't get under the car.

Hopefully I can get it to the shop/on a rack sometime soon. I'm not going to drive it until then, but the shop is ~28 miles/40 minutes away. Ok to drive it there like this?

Any ideas on what happened?

Im sick of pouring more money into this. I'm close to calling it quits, parting out, selling the car, and moving on to another platform where it will stay stock.

Last edited by jonnylaw; 09-23-2010 at 09:24 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:21 AM
bigcloud

Originally Posted by jonnylaw
Was driving the car home, and the car got real loud all of the sudden, lower pitch and louder/big time drone in cabin. Car feels a little slugglish. no cels, oil pressure, fuel pressure, temps ok. I did notice that before this, the exhaust note would kind of "gurgle" occasionaly when decelerating.

Could this be an exhaust leak (blown header/cat/exhaust gasket) or a clogged/collapsed cat(s)? Any other possibilities?

After I noticed the louder/deeper/crappier sound and drone, I did not push the car, but I did notice that reported boost was lower than when the car sounded normal. I thought that if a cat collapsed, then backpressure would increase and psi would increase on a supercharged setup? Maybe I am wrong in thinking this? I guess the mettalic core could have gotten blown out and stuck somewhere in the exhaust? That would really suck, but I have no idea since it's night and I can't get under the car.

Hopefully I can get it to the shop/on a rack sometime soon. I'm not going to drive it until then, but the shop is ~28 miles/40 minutes away. Ok to drive it there like this?

Any ideas on what happened?

Im sick of pouring more money into this. I'm close to calling it quits, parting out, selling the car, and moving on to another platform where it will stay stock.

Sorry to hear your troubles... You do have alternatives.... I thought about stock block FI, or built motor + FI, but after years of research, and experiences. I have decided to stay N/A but with 2 more cylinders... You could always run a V8 of the LS type. Just a thought.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:46 PM
_ink

Jonny it definitely sounds like a leak of some sort, the only question is where. I don't think its a cat problem.

Given that its most likely a leak, you'll be ok to drive it to your workshop.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:13 PM
cdoxp800

Jonny it definitely sounds like a leak of some sort, the only question is where. I don't think its a cat problem.

Given that its most likely a leak, you'll be ok to drive it to your workshop.
Jonny I am with ink on this one. definitely sounds like a exhaust leak.

By the way I have pulled mt SC off the car and I am currently Na. I got my eyes on a 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8. If I can hold out that long. LOL
Old 09-24-2010, 04:48 PM
_ink

Originally Posted by cdoxp800
Jonny I am with ink on this one. definitely sounds like a exhaust leak.

By the way I have pulled mt SC off the car and I am currently Na. I got my eyes on a 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8. If I can hold out that long. LOL
No way! So the sc and all the parts are completely off the car? You had some plans you were working on though?
Old 09-24-2010, 07:41 PM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea, tech diagnosed the exhaust gasket blew out (between amuse b pipe and muffler). A new vibrant gasket was ordered.

cdox--I'm actually about to do the same thing. I'm deciding between just taking the supercharger off and keeping on the bolt ons and keeping the car for awhile. Or converting everything back to stock, parting out and selling the car stock (I think I might have a hard time selling the car as is for the price I would want). I want to move on to a different platform...So quite possibly there will be many jdm parts for sale (Arc radiatior, Arc catch can, Arc oil pan, Endless full 6/4 BBK, Amuse exhaust, vpro, etc.)

How hard was it to put the fuel system back to stock? Are you keeping the Z or selling it?

Quick Reply: My HKS S/C Installation