Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Possible blown head gasket? Loud pop under boost log

Old 04-14-2010, 02:50 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

The air not going back in and flowing all into the overflow could both be due to a faulty radiator cap. It's worth a try, but I agree it's looking gloomy. When Alberto's HG went, he burped the air with the funnel and you could see black bits everywhere. You need to get rid of the air if it's there anyway to test this, so might as well just use the bucket, rev the engine and see if you get crap burbling out.

Last edited by rcdash; 04-14-2010 at 02:52 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:58 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by - bigc -
try swapping out the radiator cap before you pull the motor apart.
it does this on my stock cap, i tested with another cap, then purchased a new cap and tested with it. all the same results.

i didn't think it was that because it's highly unlikely for a radiator cap to just all of a sudden go out on 1 run but i tested just to rule it out.

Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
Its a loooong shot but I know I tried 2 different caps just to rule it out before realizing I was phucked. You symptoms are 100% the same as mine were
yep...suck

Originally Posted by rcdash
The air not going back in and flowing all into the overflow could both be due to a faulty radiator cap. It's worth a try, but I agree it's looking gloomy. When Alberto's HG went, he burped the air with the funnel and you could see black bits everywhere. You need to get rid of the air if it's there anyway to test this, so might as well just use the bucket, rev the engine and see if you get crap burbling out.
ya, there was like a .01% chance since it happened all of a sudden on a run like that to be radiator but i tested it just to rule it out.

No need to do that since i'm going to pull the engine. I don't have fluid mixes but that just means my leak is from cylinder to water jacket only. It must be a small leak also that is only evident under boost which means coolant would never enter the combustion chamber since the pressure. Only air moves out and into the cooling system.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:02 PM
- bigc -

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i'm bummed all over again. best of luck on the work man, and I hope you get your beast up and running soon.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:09 PM
binder

Originally Posted by - bigc -
i'm bummed all over again. best of luck on the work man, and I hope you get your beast up and running soon.
lol, bummed ya, i just ordered all (i hope all) the gaskets i need for the rebuild.

I'm gonna pull the upper pan adn do the rear main seal again too which i'm dreading.

i have 3 practicals and 10 finals in the next 5 days so my mind is elsewhere for the time being.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:00 PM
binder

first page updated
Old 04-27-2010, 07:23 AM
Sylvan Lake V35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You pull the heads in the car or engine out? Good luck I hope it all goes well this time around.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:41 AM
binder

You pull the heads in the car or engine out? Good luck I hope it all goes well this time around.

i pulled it all down with the engine in the car. it was quite a task but truthfully wasn't as bad as i expected.

I forgot to order more trans fluid (manual gear oil) (at 15$ a quart ) so i didn't want to drain the trans and pull it also.

so, everything worked out. I road tested it 2 days ago and it was getting hot. The lower rad hose was cold as ice. New thermostat wasn't opening. I pulled off the charger and put my nissan thermo back on and bled with a spill free funnel. All is great. Did some street tuning last night. The car idles great, doesn't stall, and drives awsome.

Hal from injected is booked up until the end of may but because he has awsome customer service he contacted me and said he could squeeze me in saturday morning for a tune. I'm so excited.

I would also like to thank a couple people for helping me with all my questions and some parts:

Vince from Rt tuning. this man knows osiris and always has time to help me out.
Kyle from Ipp: knows his way around the engine and helped me figure out some grey areas when i was re-assembling.

edit: hal brought it to my attention i said trans fluid. I meant gear oil. It's a cd009 manual trans.

Last edited by binder; 04-28-2010 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:35 AM
binder

here are the pics of the head gaskets.

broke the metal ring around 1,3, and 6
Attached Thumbnails Possible blown head gasket?  Loud pop under boost log-cylinder6.jpg   Possible blown head gasket?  Loud pop under boost log-cylinder3.jpg   Possible blown head gasket?  Loud pop under boost log-cylinder1.jpg  
Old 04-28-2010, 10:15 AM
tylerxfire

good job, but no DIY guide from all of this with pics ....
Old 04-28-2010, 10:24 AM
Vas_Z33

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by binder
i pulled it all down with the engine in the car. it was quite a task but truthfully wasn't as bad as i expected.

I forgot to order more trans fluid (manual gear oil) (at 15$ a quart ) so i didn't want to drain the trans and pull it also.

so, everything worked out. I road tested it 2 days ago and it was getting hot. The lower rad hose was cold as ice. New thermostat wasn't opening. I pulled off the charger and put my nissan thermo back on and bled with a spill free funnel. All is great. Did some street tuning last night. The car idles great, doesn't stall, and drives awsome.

Hal from injected is booked up until the end of may but because he has awsome customer service he contacted me and said he could squeeze me in saturday morning for a tune. I'm so excited.

I would also like to thank a couple people for helping me with all my questions and some parts:

Vince from Rt tuning. this man knows osiris and always has time to help me out.
Kyle from Ipp: knows his way around the engine and helped me figure out some grey areas when i was re-assembling.

edit: hal brought it to my attention i said trans fluid. I meant gear oil. It's a cd009 manual trans.
you did it with the motor still in?!?!? damn.. how long did it take you?.. taking it apart isnt as bad.. if you take your time.. but putting it together!! might of been a ***** lol. Good job!

Hal is a great guy, has helped me many times.. always out of his way to reply emails and phone calls. unlike others
Old 04-28-2010, 11:34 AM
binder

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
good job, but no DIY guide from all of this with pics ....
lol, you're kidding right?

by this time i was so angry at why i had to change my head gaskets i couldn't focus on taking good pics on what i was doing. I just wanted to get in and get done as fast as possible. I took some pics but it was hard yielding the camera when you're covered in oil and i had bad lighting in my home garage. Sorry, maybe when i do my turbo setup next winter i'll get someone to take pics as i go so i don't have to worry about it. Also, RRmedicx has a great diy for tear down and build so i figured why another one?

Originally Posted by Vas_Z33
you did it with the motor still in?!?!? damn.. how long did it take you?.. taking it apart isnt as bad.. if you take your time.. but putting it together!! might of been a ***** lol. Good job!

Hal is a great guy, has helped me many times.. always out of his way to reply emails and phone calls. unlike others
yep, motor in. Truthfully it wasn't bad at all. the only thing i was concerned about was the headers and with everything off the front of the car getting to them was cake. It truely wasn't near as bad as everyone thinks. I actually think i saved myself time by keeping it in verses pulling it. I've done it both ways now and i like keeping the motor in.

On top of that i already had a motor on my stand so i would have to take the time to remove it and find a place for it in the garage.

I truthfully took more time pulling it down than putting it together. As i tore down i was clenaing everything and putting all the bolts in perfect order to keep things organized. Because of that putting it together went quick as hell. I had it pulled down in an evening. Then the next day i had it back together. Took me all day in whole because i kept getting interuptions, etc. The following day i bled the coolant then took it for a test drive. Had cooling issues so i tore the supercharger off again and replaced the thermostat in under an hour (i'm a ninja at getting the supercharger out now).

With no breaks i could get this done in probably 1 full day if i had to do it again. Nissan's manual is kind of confusing but now that i understand it i don't have to stop to read through it multiple times.

Ya, hal has been great. Kyle at IPP is always great on helping people even when it doesn't gain him any business. definite selfless service on his part. Vince from RT tuning also has gone way out of his way to help me setup my base maps and understand osiris. All 3 of them are stand up people in this community and i give them huge thanks. Hal is the closest to me so i'll be heading to him for a tune (and also because of his knowledge). If Vince wasn't 16 hours away I definitely would head to him after all he has done for me.

east coasters, Vince is your guy for osiris. For us in the midwest Hal is the ninja.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:15 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Now i am sad I pulled my engine to do the gaskets ...next time I will try it in the car or soak the car in gas and throw matches at it if there is a "next time". Glad to see it went well for you
Old 04-28-2010, 12:25 PM
Vas_Z33

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Now i am sad I pulled my engine to do the gaskets ...next time I will try it in the car or soak the car in gas and throw matches at it if there is a "next time". Glad to see it went well for you
hahahha loll
Old 04-28-2010, 07:48 PM
binder

that's where i was on this project. if i had leaks or another issue i'm done with it.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:35 PM
_ink

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you got it all sorted!!

So how did you find out it was definitely the head gaskets??

Sorry i must have missed this bit.

Last edited by _ink; 04-28-2010 at 11:39 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:59 AM
binder

Originally Posted by _ink
Glad you got it all sorted!!

So how did you find out it was definitely the head gaskets??

Sorry i must have missed this bit.
tore the engine down
Old 04-29-2010, 06:00 AM
binder

oh, but the symptoms that made me sure:

coolant pushed out of the cooling system when under even light boost. When left to cool down coolant never returned back to the radiator like it should meaning there had to be air (combustion gases) forced into the system.

and a strong gut feeling.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:03 AM
BrianLG35C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no they haven't, ghost town from them. No return phone call or emails. I'm dealing with finals right now so saturday i might give them a follow up call. I don't expect miracles but at least a refund for the tuning.
Did the tuner ever step up?? Did a conversation ever end up happening?
Old 04-29-2010, 06:06 AM
Vince@R/TTuning
Vendor - Former Vendor

lol, you're kidding right?

by this time i was so angry at why i had to change my head gaskets i couldn't focus on taking good pics on what i was doing. I just wanted to get in and get done as fast as possible. I took some pics but it was hard yielding the camera when you're covered in oil and i had bad lighting in my home garage. Sorry, maybe when i do my turbo setup next winter i'll get someone to take pics as i go so i don't have to worry about it. Also, RRmedicx has a great diy for tear down and build so i figured why another one?

yep, motor in. Truthfully it wasn't bad at all. the only thing i was concerned about was the headers and with everything off the front of the car getting to them was cake. It truely wasn't near as bad as everyone thinks. I actually think i saved myself time by keeping it in verses pulling it. I've done it both ways now and i like keeping the motor in.

On top of that i already had a motor on my stand so i would have to take the time to remove it and find a place for it in the garage.

I truthfully took more time pulling it down than putting it together. As i tore down i was clenaing everything and putting all the bolts in perfect order to keep things organized. Because of that putting it together went quick as hell. I had it pulled down in an evening. Then the next day i had it back together. Took me all day in whole because i kept getting interuptions, etc. The following day i bled the coolant then took it for a test drive. Had cooling issues so i tore the supercharger off again and replaced the thermostat in under an hour (i'm a ninja at getting the supercharger out now).

With no breaks i could get this done in probably 1 full day if i had to do it again. Nissan's manual is kind of confusing but now that i understand it i don't have to stop to read through it multiple times.

Ya, hal has been great. Kyle at IPP is always great on helping people even when it doesn't gain him any business. definite selfless service on his part. Vince from RT tuning also has gone way out of his way to help me setup my base maps and understand osiris. All 3 of them are stand up people in this community and i give them huge thanks. Hal is the closest to me so i'll be heading to him for a tune (and also because of his knowledge). If Vince wasn't 16 hours away I definitely would head to him after all he has done for me.

east coasters, Vince is your guy for osiris. For us in the midwest Hal is the ninja.
Hey Jeff, Thats awesome!! Glad ya got it all back together and those gaskets worked out for ya. Hal will take good care of ya, im excited to see the results. Thanks for the good words!!! Let me know if ya need anything else.

Thanks, Vince
Old 04-29-2010, 06:07 AM
binder

Originally Posted by BrianLG35C
Did the tuner ever step up?? Did a conversation ever end up happening?
the owner of the shop ended up emailing me about a week later asking how things were coming along and to let them know what i find out.

Yesterday i sent all the pictures and things to him letting them know the final outcome. We'll see what that brings.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Possible blown head gasket? Loud pop under boost log