Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

F-con vs Haltech

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 06:26 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by D350Z10
Ive had the Haltech and had two exceptional tunners play with it and still couldn't get the tune right.

Switched to the FCON Vpro v3.3 and it literally was a night and day improvement on driveability and overall smoothness of the tune.

Fcon is more refined and when switching maps its just the flip of a switch, not pulling out your laptop and changing maps.
Good info. That brings up yet another question. I have my F-CON configured to automatically change to a scramble map when I turn on my meth injection system to compensate for the added fuel. Both the injector and ignition timings are adjusted but, unfortunately, not with as much granularity as the base map. Does the Haltech not have the ability to do this?

Last edited by ttg35fort; 05-26-2010 at 06:27 AM.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:30 AM
Zume

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Reverse engineering my Fcon install...

Don't know if this needs new thread but...

Need some help with Fcon install set up. I am trying to figure out the how and why of the install...cut/spliced wires...

Questions are referring to the blue HKS A/F Knock Amp box with 16 pin input.
16 Pin "out" Plug from the blue HKS box---

1) Grey wire not used...this OK??? ...normal???

2) YEL/BK wire goes to ECM pin 14 Left Cam Sensing- use only one wire for both cams???

3) The two green ground wires (to ECM pin 1), the Y/B wire Cam Sen. (to ECM pin 14) and the YEL Crank Sen. wire (to ECM pin 13) all have been spliced into the main engine harness just upstream of the main oem harness plug ...is this normal???

4) Also, the White Knock Sen. wire (to ECM pin 15) is spliced into the Fcon harness between the "Fcon to oem engine plug" and the "Fcon to oem ECM plug(s)". Is this necessary and normal???

THX
_ink

Originally Posted by rcdash
With the Haltech you will get a CEL for cams because the stock ECU is not in control. InjectedPerformance provides a package deal I think for an Osiris reflash along with the Haltech to get rid of little annoyances like that.

That's good to know!! So CEL on the haltech for this.

Do FCON owners experience this?
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ttg35fort
Good info. That brings up yet another question. I have my F-CON configured to automatically change to a scramble map when I turn on my meth injection system to compensate for the added fuel. Both the injector and ignition timing are adjusted but, unfortunately, not with as much granularity as the base map. Does the Haltech not have the ability to do this?
No. There are no as in ZERO (0) user definable inputs. This is a big issue that I've been harping about to the Haltech guys in Australia for over a year now. If there were just a few more inputs, you could play with some of the compensation maps since every map has configurable axes - very flexible. There has been some talk of an "I/O Box" with 16 inputs/outputs but I was expecting it at SEMA this year and heard nothing about it. So I'm disappointed on this aspect - I have lots of sensors I want monitored by the EMS.

I know this thread isn't about this EMS, but the ProEFI 128 seems to have fantastic hardware. The software continues to mature. If Haltech doesn't come up with something soon, I may consider a $3k expenditure... If E85 were more prevalent here, it would be more enticing.

Last edited by rcdash; 05-26-2010 at 06:33 AM.
D350Z10

Active knock control was added to the Haltech in v1.06. The internal map sensor is good to 22 psi. The internal PWM output for the boost solenoid works quite well and can be setup as closed loop or open loop. You can set up two axes for compensation to base boost off things like speed and wheel spin for example. I still had to buy Osiris to change my idle, speed limiter, and to try to set AFR targets to avoid CELS (ended up just disabling them). With the Haltech you will get a CEL for cams because the stock ECU is not in control. InjectedPerformance provides a package deal I think for an Osiris reflash along with the Haltech to get rid of little annoyances like that.

Dil, I'm not sure what was going on with your unit. It does seem that there is some issue with early 2003 cars - perhaps related to cam phasing - str8dum1 and blackbird are the only affected to my knowledge though.
We also switched out the unit with a brand new one and still had the same issues.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:48 AM
rcdash

Is your car an early 2003?
Old 05-26-2010, 06:49 AM
D350Z10

Is your car an early 2003?
Not it is not, it is mid 2004.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:57 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

No. There are no as in ZERO (0) user definable inputs. This is a big issue that I've been harping about to the Haltech guys in Australia for over a year now. If there were just a few more inputs, you could play with some of the compensation maps since every map has configurable axes - very flexible. There has been some talk of an "I/O Box" with 16 inputs/outputs but I was expecting it at SEMA this year and heard nothing about it. So I'm disappointed on this aspect - I have lots of sensors I want monitored by the EMS.
What kind of safety mechanism do you have in place if your meth tank runs dry? On mine, if the tank runs dry or a line gets clogged, the F-CON will automatically revert back to the base map. I also have it configured to turn off the boost controller, thereby reverting to spring pressure (about 6 or 7 psi I think) if this happens. That way, I can run higher boost when I have the meth system turned on, but the boost will automatically drop if an issue with the meth flow pops up.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:05 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

I have one more question relating to the cam phasing control. Hopefully we will be ready to tune my car by this time next month. As noted, I can play with my cam phasing using Osiris. My question is what changes to the cam phasing people have found to be noticably beneficial? Any input here should help to speed up the tuning process.

As a side note, one person who I spoke with indicated that the stock cam phasing is pretty well optimized and that there would not be a noticable improvement by adjusting the cam phasing, but I don't know how much he actually played with this. Maybe someone who has spent a good amount of time playing with the cam phasing can chime in on this.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 05-26-2010 at 07:13 AM.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:16 AM
rcdash

Originally Posted by ttg35fort
What kind of safety mechanism do you have in place if your meth tank runs dry? On mine, if the tank runs dry or a line gets clogged, the F-CON will automatically revert back to the base map. I also have it configured to turn off the boost controller, thereby reverting to spring pressure (about 6 or 7 psi I think) if this happens. That way, I can run higher boost when I have the meth system turned on, but the boost will automatically drop if an issue with the meth flow pops up.
Well while it doesn't have any spare inputs, it does have one programmable output. I have a latched relay that disables my boost controller if either my aquamist system detects a fault (low or high flow condition or water tank low condition) or if the Haltech detects a dangerous condition (for me set as AFR greater than 12.2 above 8 psi). The plan is only to tune for meth above 12 psi or so. Wastegate pressure is 9.5 psi.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:40 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ZUME, if the desire is to tune your own car, I think the Haltech is the obvious choice. If not, I would not go so far as to remove the FCON and switch to Haltech at this point. Just my .02.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:46 AM
Zume

Default "masterman"

THX Sharif---
How bout some input on my "mastermind" questions on post #22...........

I assume you know how I am???
Old 05-26-2010, 07:53 AM
Zume

Default #22 restated

Does one need to cut/splice wires when installing the 16 pin in "blue box" HKS Knock Amp?

Out wires...Grd. (2 G wires), CMP sen. (Y/B wire), CKP sen. (Y wire).... + Knk sen. (W wire)

Last edited by Zume; 05-26-2010 at 07:54 AM.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:54 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by Zume
THX Sharif---
How bout some input on my "mastermind" questions on post #22...........

I assume you know how I am???
Of course I do. I have an idea. Come by the shop, with your harness, Knock Amp, and FCON in hand and I will walk you through all the connections. Just call first. There are many wires not used. SGP wired up your FCON so I am sure it's messy. I have a huge folder of handwritten notes with wiring diagrams. HKS doesn't provide a whole lot of instructions for their Pro Tuners, so we have to figure some of it out on our own.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:25 AM
Zume

Default sounds like a date

Good idea but first I want to trace all the wires. + how will you be able to break free from your friend the dyno?
Old 05-26-2010, 08:30 AM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
SGP wired up your FCON so I am sure it's messy.

I've seen their wiring 1st hand; definite spaghetti feast under there.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:36 AM
Zume

yea...I know...thats why I paid him (Mark XXXX) so will, I like spaghetti...

...and I'm still eating it!
Old 05-26-2010, 11:01 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by Zume
Good idea but first I want to trace all the wires. + how will you be able to break free from your friend the dyno?
Nah, you just have to call before you come, instead of walking in unannounced.

It's always a battle between my friend the phone, and my other friend, the dyno.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:00 PM
Zume

Default other

I thought your other friend was Sandy?
Old 05-26-2010, 02:37 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

I know I already asked the question pertaining to the benefits of playing with the cam phasing, but the ablility to adjust cam phasing seems to be one of the significant features of the Haltech over the F-CON discussed herein. So, if it is a significant feature, I'm assuming that there are benefits to be had. Has anyone seen any benefits? If not, I think that particular feature is practically worthless. I would like to see a discussion of this from those that have played with cam phasing.

As I noted, one person that I trust has indicted that the stock phasing is optimum, but it is in my nature to continue to ask the question and ask for second opinions.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 05-26-2010 at 03:02 PM.

Quick Reply: F-con vs Haltech