Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Controlling a methanol kit with the haltech

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 05:16 AM
james12345pt

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Controlling a methanol kit with the haltech

As most of you know I am trying to pull another ~40 whp out of my current Powerlab setup and I am trying to avoid a costly upgrade to achieve this goal. After researching the choice I have available I have decided to try an Meth injection kit. It hopefully will yield several benefits: 1. Added power, 2. Low cost, 3. Easy Install with no down time, 4. Added engine protection, and 5.cheap and easy to obtain fuel compare to race gas. I know there has been much drama on my other website, partly my faught, so let try to stick to the topic at hand. Thanks in advance.

Here are my questions to the forum.
1. Which Meth injection kit would you recommend for my application?
2. How would I control it? ( I have an Haltech EMS)
3. At what level of boost would you start the flow and end the Flow.
4. How would I achieve safe power?, ie, timing, AF ratio, Boost
5. How much Methanol would be need per tank of gas?
6. What are the cons/ harmful effects of using Methanol on an engine?

Please add any useful knowledge, experiences, and post your results.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:33 AM
Elperuano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck with ur results, I'm excited to see how much more you can get out of it since Im running the exact same kit n lookin to build the block.
I'd ask Hal for his advice on the meth kit since he's your tuner. He's very knowledgeable with the Haltech n the meth can be controlled with it.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:50 AM
Vas_Z33

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Hal should have all those questions ready for you in a heartbeat.. he is GOD at using the haltach.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:53 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

search, most of those questions have been asked countless of times...or have your tuner quickly explain to you. I could suggest like..have it kick in a peak tq or progressivly from 4000rpms...., but your tuner should decide when he wants the meth to kick in or what ever, not this thread....
aem kit is nice...aquamist.... maybe have a custom setup by them 2

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 06-11-2010 at 06:57 AM.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:43 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Pretty recently updated thread:

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...them-here.html

The Haltech does not have a spare PWM output, but it does have a single on/off that can be used to trigger spray. Most meth kits come with a controller of some kind. I use the Aquamist HFS-6. The forums over at http://www.aquamist.co.uk/vbulletin/ cover a bunch of topics that may be helpful for you.

I use the spare output of my Haltech to trigger a boost solenoid failsafe cut (@ > 4 psi and afr> 12.2) and use the HFS-6 controller to regulate flow (which is simply made proportional to fuel injector duty cycle).
Old 06-11-2010, 08:29 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the cmgs progressive controller from coolingmist is the best solution for the buck.

the rest of your questions are solely based on your tune and tuner..
Old 06-11-2010, 10:47 AM
UMW350Z

I was told by my tuner that the only kit you can use with Haltech is aquamist...that kit is about $1,000 plus about 10 hours of labor to wire it all up. Meth is not cheap with a Haltech
Old 06-11-2010, 11:06 AM
rcdash

The aquamist is a very good kit that is relatively easy to install given what it does (fuel IDC based spray), but it is expensive. However, use of a Haltech is completely independent of the W/M kit you choose. I don't understand why your tuner would make such a statement. str8dum1 has a haltech and does not use an aquamist kit.

Here is a link to the manual for the aquamist HFS-6 if you want to review it. It's not hard at all to install thanks to the use of RJ-45 jacks instead of free wiring like older versions and other kits.

Last edited by rcdash; 06-11-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:03 PM
350Z400rwhp

5. By my calculations and some spirited driving I go through about a gallon of meth per 600 miles. I am supercharged so it may be even more for a turbo.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:52 PM
UMW350Z

Originally Posted by rcdash
The aquamist is a very good kit that is relatively easy to install given what it does (fuel IDC based spray), but it is expensive. However, use of a Haltech is completely independent of the W/M kit you choose. I don't understand why your tuner would make such a statement. str8dum1 has a haltech and does not use an aquamist kit.

Here is a link to the manual for the aquamist HFS-6 if you want to review it. It's not hard at all to install thanks to the use of RJ-45 jacks instead of free wiring like older versions and other kits.
Hmm, I've heard this statement made by another person too. Any kit works? hmm.. maybe I'll do that this fall
Old 06-11-2010, 01:17 PM
rcdash

Also I think aquamist has a new unit out, the HFS-3, which takes out some of the bells and whistles at much less cost.

Found this announcement thread... http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1906217

Last edited by rcdash; 06-11-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:06 PM
IslandZavage

why not Be happy with what you have now and save for a turbo upgrade. how much difference will it betoo upgrade turbo vs method kit? 50hp will get old quick on a built block.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:14 PM
rcdash

If he sprays enough methanol, he may be able to get more than just 50. The only upgrade option will be near its limit I think around the same point.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:56 PM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Sell your Haltech for a ProEFI. It will control your meth kit no problem

Sorry... had to!
Old 06-11-2010, 05:25 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

lol I use a gallon in 4 mins.

Originally Posted by 350Z400rwhp
5. By my calculations and some spirited driving I go through about a gallon of meth per 600 miles. I am supercharged so it may be even more for a turbo.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:52 PM
Elperuano

Originally Posted by str8dum1
lol I use a gallon in 4 mins.

hella crazy!
Old 06-12-2010, 04:54 AM
wannabuy350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am running the AEM kit with my Haltech. nothing complicated about getting your kit working perfect and having your afr targets dead on. In the Haltech there is a max disinrichment table, lets say meth is adding about 8 % more fuel/fluid in your engine. as long as you have your targets correct and base fuel is dead on target fuel, from there its a simple calculation. The haltech is amazing at controlling and pushing fuel to its targets.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:10 AM
james12345pt

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default AEM

Originally Posted by wannabuy350z
I am running the AEM kit with my Haltech. nothing complicated about getting your kit working perfect and having your afr targets dead on. In the Haltech there is a max disinrichment table, lets say meth is adding about 8 % more fuel/fluid in your engine. as long as you have your targets correct and base fuel is dead on target fuel, from there its a simple calculation. The haltech is amazing at controlling and pushing fuel to its targets.
How do you like the AEM kit? This is the Kit that IP has recommend.
What kind of gains did you experience?
Where did you mount the nozzle?
Thanks
Old 06-12-2010, 05:38 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by james12345pt
What kind of gains did you experience?
Where did you mount the nozzle?
Thanks
1st question... its besides the point, that will be up to yoru tunner and how much you can spray.... or misture you spray... too may variables to look at it like that. If your tunner recomend AEm why are you fixiating on going with the choir of what the board says, go with his advice... unless you are actually getting a more gressive setup that what you want to do with the aem kit thats universal.....

Originally Posted by sLIDEfOX
Sell your Haltech for a ProEFI. It will control your meth kit no problem P.
ha, ...still from what i understand the haltech will be fine controlling meth... i dont think it comes close to what the 128 pin can for control though.... but he should be fine perfectly fine with haltech for any of his goals......plus its what his tuner recomends so ...so jsut as above... go with what Injected says
They migth be able to get you a custom made one thats better than aquamist for less than what they are charging you.

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 06-12-2010 at 05:40 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:44 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll just put this out there. Hal doesn't like tuning on meth. He'll do it if you want, but it's not his thing therefore he doesn't do a lot of homework on what meth kits do what. I've already went back and forth with him about doing meth for my build and we ended up just leaving meth out.

you can use the grounded output to start your meth if you like. You'll probably want a progressive control not so much for it's progressive nature but you can also adjust the % of spray. That way you can run a large nozzle and then set whatever psi you are at to only 80% if you do'nt want to use that much meth. It gives you options on choosing your volume of meth when tuning. Otherwise you could have to change jets to change volume.

Those progressive controllers do not need the haltech to start them. They'll start based on boost pressure (the cheaper ones) so no worries. You can also pick up one of the older aquamist hs-5's for half the prices of the 6's. It's still bad ***. Most aquamist use injector duty cycle to turn on the meth which is a smarter way. More expensive but better. I think the hs-5 can be had for around 600$ now since it was replaced by the 6.

Quick Reply: Controlling a methanol kit with the haltech