Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Anyone regret going FI?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 09:59 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maximumsportZ
I've had a boosted Z since 05 and I absolutely love it to death. This was my first ever boosted car and it's been a blast since.

I miss the FI forums... It's not the same anymore.
Truth. This place is boring now. As much as people don't like to admit it, everyone loved the drama with JT, Craig, Julian, Doug, Phil, Alberto, etc. I don't know if people have just lost interest in the car or don't have time to fight it out in the FI section everyday, but its gotten very quiet around here.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:00 PM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

+10000
Old 08-25-2010, 11:54 PM
GT-ER

Originally Posted by JAM3Z
I had a blast with my car for a while. But ultimately its proved to be unreliable to the point of being not drivable. Hindsight being 20/20 I hugely regret it and wish I had spent the money on a nicer, more well rounded car.

Honestly, going fast is fun. However, I'd like to have a car whose interior fit and finish is better than the Z's (which arguably is terrible) and that is fun in corners. I'd max out your suspension mods and then decide if you're really ready to take the plunge. No matter what shop you have work on the car, it will NEVER run the same, this much I promise you.
I honestly disagree, especially with the last statement. With the exception of my car running slightly lean for the first 5-10 seconds after startup ( barely even noticeable, my wideband just shows that it's kinda lean )...my car runs 100% like the day I bought it bone stock. Even my wife says she is surprised how stock like it feels considering the HUGE difference once you push the pedal to the floor ( I have about 180whp more than stock ). Who knows, maybe some day it'll fail on me....but even bone stock cars do that.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:11 AM
Gingervitis526

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JAM3Z
I had a blast with my car for a while. But ultimately its proved to be unreliable to the point of being not drivable. Hindsight being 20/20 I hugely regret it and wish I had spent the money on a nicer, more well rounded car.

Honestly, going fast is fun. However, I'd like to have a car whose interior fit and finish is better than the Z's (which arguably is terrible) and that is fun in corners. I'd max out your suspension mods and then decide if you're really ready to take the plunge. No matter what shop you have work on the car, it will NEVER run the same, this much I promise you.
I really hope all of this was just on your car and not the kit itself!
Old 08-26-2010, 05:06 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Originally Posted by GT-ER
I honestly disagree, especially with the last statement. With the exception of my car running slightly lean for the first 5-10 seconds after startup ( barely even noticeable, my wideband just shows that it's kinda lean )...my car runs 100% like the day I bought it bone stock. Even my wife says she is surprised how stock like it feels considering the HUGE difference once you push the pedal to the floor ( I have about 180whp more than stock ). Who knows, maybe some day it'll fail on me....but even bone stock cars do that.
Disagree all you want. It might be because I have a Utec, which I think is a terrible EMS, and not a standalone setup. Has given my car weak starts, drains my battery in a matter of days, and has caused serious throttle issues. Maybe I'm just unlucky.

Also, I think the 350Z has serious build quality issues. The steering wheel is peeling, the doors sound weird when the shut, the interior fit and finish is so-so, the paint finish is terrible on mirrors, etc. etc. All of these little things have begun to really bother me about my car.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:08 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Originally Posted by Gingervitis526
I really hope all of this was just on your car and not the kit itself!
Kit is rock solid. The same cannot be said for the Utec. Unfortunately three years ago when my car went under the knife, reflashing the stock ECU for FI purposes was not really a common thing.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:30 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Funny how usually the guys who says their cars FI run like stock have slow FI cars and run 13's at the track...they are right, not that far from stock....

When you get into the crazier setups with the more heavy footed drivers $hit will go wrong.

Chris-nice to see you're alive man, I cant believe you still drive that car with success.

I honestly dont regret FI, I regret doing sleeves and letting myself be talked into it when they werent proven. Even worse than that I am ashamed in myself that I rebuilt with them thinking a diff machine shop and builder could change the outcome, ultimately thats the source of my bitterness. I was like a horse with the blinders on, a sucker in the end.

That step in my original build laid the foundation for a life of cooling nightmares, overheating problems, rebuilds and just overall fail. In between all the fail though I have destroyed many cars and launched myself into absurd speeds and thats just plain fun.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:47 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

HAHA so true. Stock block cars shouldn't even chime in on reliability. Thats no different than a bolt on popcharger.

Originally Posted by Alberto
Funny how usually the guys who says their cars FI run like stock have slow FI cars and run 13's at the track...they are right, not that far from stock....

When you get into the crazier setups with the more heavy footed drivers $hit will go wrong.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:49 AM
wizard

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by str8dum1
HAHA so true. Stock block cars shouldn't even chime in on reliability. Thats no different than a bolt on popcharger.
Didn't yours blow up on a stock block?
Old 08-26-2010, 07:52 AM
str8dum1

nope. its sitting on the floor in my garage. stock block made excellent power @450whp. I just make 2x that now.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:22 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom

yeah, exactly
Old 08-26-2010, 09:06 AM
wizard

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

nope. its sitting on the floor in my garage. stock block made excellent power @450whp. I just make 2x that now.
900whp!?

Your former kit is on my car now. Hopefully it makes something starting with a 4.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:10 AM
MDHRZ

Thats no different than a bolt on popcharger.
I wish. I could have saved some money .
Old 08-26-2010, 09:10 AM
TSG-Z

I regret it only because I wrestle with my check engine light every inspection time...my inspection is 7 months late this time!
Old 08-26-2010, 09:48 AM
str8dum1

if you dont open your motor, reliability/concerns is quite different than going with a built motor and until you take the plunge, you just cant understand.

YOu can always compare # blown stock motors vs # blown built motors and even the # of members on multiple built motors.

Originally Posted by MDHRZ
I wish. I could have saved some money .

Last edited by str8dum1; 08-26-2010 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:47 AM
XKR

I agree... If your car drives like stock....you have no real powa. My only regret to this date is having more powa than a Carbonetics triple can handle

I loved the Carbonetics .....it was the best clutch I have used. The OS makes me look like a noob when moving off in first gear.....or if I try to make it look smoothe .... It looks like I am trying to race because of how I have to rev it.

My only regret is that this should have been my first built/setup that I went with and not wasting so much money trying all those other turbo kits and finding out that it was not fast enough....
Old 08-26-2010, 10:51 AM
Erdem

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only regret not being rich enough to do BC 4.15L stroker and a TT...
Old 08-26-2010, 10:54 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TSG-Z
I regret it only because I wrestle with my check engine light every inspection time...my inspection is 7 months late this time!
man... you gotta find a hook up.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:16 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by Nexx
man... you gotta find a hook up.
for real...get a hookup or move to Florida
Old 08-26-2010, 11:40 AM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by XKR
I agree... If your car drives like stock....you have no real powa. My only regret to this date is having more powa than a Carbonetics triple can handle

I loved the Carbonetics .....it was the best clutch I have used. The OS makes me look like a noob when moving off in first gear.....or if I try to make it look smoothe .... It looks like I am trying to race because of how I have to rev it.

My only regret is that this should have been my first built/setup that I went with and not wasting so much money trying all those other turbo kits and finding out that it was not fast enough....
Haha, told you that clutch is a bastard. Once you get going though, it is perfect

Quick Reply: Anyone regret going FI?