Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Anyone regret going FI?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 12:30 PM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i regret it..........................
Old 08-26-2010, 12:45 PM
TSG-Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nexx
man... you gotta find a hook up.
I tried, but they hit me with the "its OBDII, so it gets hooked up to the Raleigh DMV" BS!

Originally Posted by XKR
for real...get a hookup or move to Florida
I have a female friend that lives in FL and she said I could use her addy, but they do a one time inspection. So, if I drive it down I still have probably wont pass due to this fuking random misfire code! I think its my UTEC, I think HALTECH may fix the issue.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:12 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XKR
I agree... If your car drives like stock....you have no real powa. My only regret to this date is having more powa than a Carbonetics triple can handle

I loved the Carbonetics .....it was the best clutch I have used. The OS makes me look like a noob when moving off in first gear.....or if I try to make it look smoothe .... It looks like I am trying to race because of how I have to rev it.

My only regret is that this should have been my first built/setup that I went with and not wasting so much money trying all those other turbo kits and finding out that it was not fast enough....
The power addiction is stronger than crack.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:24 PM
thatv35guy

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Sad truth…my car just got boosted last month (PowerLab GT35R & ProEFI), added 100 whp and on the drive into the office today I started having thought of upping the boost… must not give into temptation…
Old 08-26-2010, 03:58 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

waiting for parts is definitely the cure though

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged

Last edited by str8dum1; 08-26-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:18 PM
suprasam

Originally Posted by TSG-Z
I tried, but they hit me with the "its OBDII, so it gets hooked up to the Raleigh DMV" BS!

I have a female friend that lives in FL and she said I could use her addy, but they do a one time inspection. So, if I drive it down I still have probably wont pass due to this fuking random misfire code! I think its my UTEC, I think HALTECH may fix the issue.
TSG-z. How about South Carolina? They don't have required inspections.

Last edited by suprasam; 08-26-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:38 PM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

even if states dont require a yearly inspection they still require one
Old 08-26-2010, 05:38 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by JAM3Z
Disagree all you want. It might be because I have a Utec, which I think is a terrible EMS, and not a standalone setup. Has given my car weak starts, drains my battery in a matter of days, and has caused serious throttle issues. Maybe I'm just unlucky.
I also completely disagree with your assertion that the car will never run the same. I've had my Z for almost 8 years, 5 of them boosted (3 on my built motor). I drive the **** out of my car and I've had no major issues. My Z has been rock solid reliable boosted and I have a UTEC too. Sure hot starts suck sometimes, and I get diff whine from my solid diff bushings, but overall my car is very livable and reliable.

I do all my own work and tune the car myself, so any little issue gets immediate attention. I've learned a lot working on my Z and I don't regret any of it. It's been very rewarding.

Also, I think the 350Z has serious build quality issues. The steering wheel is peeling, the doors sound weird when the shut, the interior fit and finish is so-so, the paint finish is terrible on mirrors, etc. etc. All of these little things have begun to really bother me about my car.
I haven't noticed any abnormal wear in my Z over 7 years and 65K miles. All cars will wear out with time though, hell, my dad has a 2004 BMW 645 with only 30K miles on it (that he bought new) and the coating on the middle console buttons is peeling off. That's an $80K car. He babies the crap out of that thing and it still gets worn out.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:17 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Originally Posted by 2004Black350z
None of the five cars I've owned have ever been called in for any kind of inspection. We straight up don't have any of that down here.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:23 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
I also completely disagree with your assertion that the car will never run the same. I've had my Z for almost 8 years, 5 of them boosted (3 on my built motor). I drive the **** out of my car and I've had no major issues. My Z has been rock solid reliable boosted and I have a UTEC too. Sure hot starts suck sometimes, and I get diff whine from my solid diff bushings, but overall my car is very livable and reliable.

I do all my own work and tune the car myself, so any little issue gets immediate attention. I've learned a lot working on my Z and I don't regret any of it. It's been very rewarding.

I haven't noticed any abnormal wear in my Z over 7 years and 65K miles. All cars will wear out with time though, hell, my dad has a 2004 BMW 645 with only 30K miles on it (that he bought new) and the coating on the middle console buttons is peeling off. That's an $80K car. He babies the crap out of that thing and it still gets worn out.
Thats great for you then. We can go back and forth about FI reliability. But I stand by what I said. When you go FI, your car is bound to have some quirks. Big or small it is bound to happen. I don't think you can have a car operating that far outside the OEM design envelope and maintain total, complete 100% functionality.

As far as build quality, for me the proof is in the pudding. Honestly I love the feel of a boosted car, and I'll probably get back in the game some day, but for right now I'm ready to be out. I think the fact that I'm in college still and lead kind of a crazy (not stable) lifestyle has led to my angst with my car. I don't have the time or the inclination to constantly be fixing little things, and I've figured out that I want a car with a nicer interior.

Plus, on some level it bothers me that there are so many trashed, or otherwise poorly modified and ragged out Z's running around.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:35 PM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

Thats great for you then. We can go back and forth about FI reliability. But I stand by what I said. When you go FI, your car is bound to have some quirks. Big or small it is bound to happen. I don't think you can have a car operating that far outside the OEM design envelope and maintain total, complete 100% functionality.

As far as build quality, for me the proof is in the pudding. Honestly I love the feel of a boosted car, and I'll probably get back in the game some day, but for right now I'm ready to be out. I think the fact that I'm in college still and lead kind of a crazy (not stable) lifestyle has led to my angst with my car. I don't have the time or the inclination to constantly be fixing little things, and I've figured out that I want a car with a nicer interior.

Plus, on some level it bothers me that there are so many trashed, or otherwise poorly modified and ragged out Z's running around.
Maybe a 370Z is in your future? Hoping you stick with the Z line and don't completely jump ship.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:38 PM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

None of the five cars I've owned have ever been called in for any kind of inspection. We straight up don't have any of that down here.
so u move to SC get tags and thats it? Didnt know that
Old 08-26-2010, 06:40 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Originally Posted by Chris@FsP
Maybe a 370Z is in your future? Hoping you stick with the Z line and don't completely jump ship.
Maybe. But I doubt it. I'm pretty digusted with my car right now, so to sell it and get into what is essentially an updated version of it is not logical at all to me.

Like I said in my other thread, my car is completely and totally unresponsive to my throttle inputs now, so I have no clue what to do. If I want to part it out, I have to pay to have it towed to a shop that is at least two hours away.

Would it be possibe for someone to fedex me a Osiris tuned ECU or something. The car is literally stuck in my driveway right now.

Last edited by JAM3Z; 08-26-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:41 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

I guess so. I forget what documentation you have to provide, but look into it.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:40 PM
GT-ER

Originally Posted by Alberto
Funny how usually the guys who says their cars FI run like stock have slow FI cars and run 13's at the track...they are right, not that far from stock....

When you get into the crazier setups with the more heavy footed drivers $hit will go wrong.
I consider 180+whp more than stock being a bit "far from stock". Granted, it's not a 600who monster...but it's still an 80%+ increase in power. The funny thing is that I'm putting over 400whp on a nearly stock transmission ( only has a transgo kit ) and stock block and it's been great and I beat the crap out of it on a daily basis. The topic was "Anyone regret going FI?" not "Anyone regret spending $20K on their engines and putting down 600+whp?". It's a pretty general topic and assuming that going FI will automatically mean that the car will suck is simply not true. I agree with the part in bold though, and I doubt anyone thinks otherwise.

I believe 90% of it all is in the tune and I spent a LOT of time on the tune, and I mean sad amounts of time...lol...mostly learning how to use the freaking software.

All in all, my 400whp car docile enough for my mom to take to work while I fix her bone stock pathfinder.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:28 AM
suprasam

In order to get tags you need to submit a vehicle tax reciept, title, sc form 400 (i believe), and proof of insurance. I am stationed at Ft Hood and got my new tag in a week (with expedited fees). No inspection requirement. The kicker is the tax receipt. I used my brother's address. It's all on the SC DMV website.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:44 AM
1GR8350Z

Truth
Old 08-27-2010, 05:44 AM
Armed Ferret

I'm stationed in Maryland, bought my Z in Virginia, and registered/titled it in Iowa.

Nobody asked to inspect jack schitt on my car. They just needed the paperwork from the seller and the old title. Did it all over the phone, plates arrived in about a week.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:50 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What address did you use? Im assuming you know somebody or are from Iowa?
Old 08-29-2010, 04:08 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by maximumsportZ
and you miss me dougy ?
you got married on me *****.. i'm hurt

Quick Reply: Anyone regret going FI?