Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Hydra EMS

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 12:27 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by zmedic16
really? how so? teach me some knowledge and tell me major difference and what makes it 10x better? i honestly dont know.
UTEC works like a standalone with fuel/timing under boost. Other piggybacks just add/subtract from the stock ECU output. It also has full temp compensation tables, knock control, and overboost cut. Name one other piggyback with all or even some of those features.

Either way, it's getting off topic.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:14 PM
zmedic16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by djamps
UTEC works like a standalone with fuel/timing under boost. Other piggybacks just add/subtract from the stock ECU output. It also has full temp compensation tables, knock control, and overboost cut. Name one other piggyback with all or even some of those features.

Either way, it's getting off topic.
lol im such a noob.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:50 PM
meatbag

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Its funny how you can tell who actually tunes cars, being there own car or anyone elses and the people that think they know what they are talking about by the comments that are made here.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:56 AM
zmedic16

Originally Posted by meatbag
Its funny how you can tell who actually tunes cars, being there own car or anyone elses and the people that think they know what they are talking about by the comments that are made here.
exactly... thats why forums are forums, allot of usable knowledge and allot of hearsay.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:08 AM
djamps

There isn't much 'general' tuning knowledge on this platform, at least that anyone shares. Most pro tuners act like they have some kind of top secret sauce tunes when in actuality 50% of their tunes are either complete garbage or great at WOT but plagued with other issues.

The fact that Vinny sticks with what he is good at (Hydra / SS) is OK in my book. Just know what each EMS can/can't do and don't just assume because the fastest 1/4 mile Z uses it that it's the best option for you and your daily/street car.

Last edited by djamps; 09-26-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:06 AM
meatbag

There isn't much 'general' tuning knowledge on this platform, at least that anyone shares. Most pro tuners act like they have some kind of top secret sauce tunes when in actuality 50% of their tunes are either complete garbage or great at WOT but plagued with other issues.

The fact that Vinny sticks with what he is good at (Hydra / SS) is OK in my book. Just know what each EMS can/can't do and don't just assume because the fastest 1/4 mile Z uses it that it's the best option for you and your daily/street car.
I could be wrong but as of the last time I talked to Vinny they use a motec system in the 6sec Z and he uses the Hydra for street/customer cars. So the hydra being on the fastest Z point is completely mute for all the nut huggers that like to use that line. Besides that most people are missing the point of what makes and EMS good and bad. Just because a car make XXX amount of horsepower with an EMS doesnt mean its any good. I have seen people make 1500bhp on a batch fire homemade $350 megasquirt ECU and the car ran mid 8's in the 1/4. That car also had a hell of a time starting and idleing and doing just about anything but WOT.

If Vinny is comfortable with the Hydra and you are going to him to have your car tuned then nothing is wrong with that. 99.9% of ems setups out there work the same. Its just knowing the little tricks that make it faster and easier with ones that you use more then others.

Last edited by meatbag; 09-26-2010 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:17 PM
XKR

^^^^^ I agree with you 2 above......That was my understanding about the Motech...

IMO....making a car with big powa that keeps all stock features ..ie..AC, speed control, traction control is a must for me....that's why I picked my EMS...car must be able to drive smooth a any speed....taking the clutch out of the equation
Old 09-26-2010, 03:13 PM
djamps

yea no matter how good a tune u have it won't fix your clutch issues LOL. I can't wait for my stage 4 to give out so I have an excuse to throw in a twin/triple disc but so far looks like it wants to **** me off for the forseeable future.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:29 PM
XKR

yea no matter how good a tune u have it won't fix your clutch issues LOL. I can't wait for my stage 4 to give out so I have an excuse to throw in a twin/triple disc but so far looks like it wants to **** me off for the forseeable future.
....Yeah...I wish there was such thing as an EMS that could calm my clutch down...At move off if you don't have your mine 100% on the pedal...it makes you look like noob

How much longer you have on your car?
Old 09-26-2010, 03:36 PM
djamps

Originally Posted by XKR
....Yeah...I wish there was such thing as an EMS that could calm my clutch down...At move off if you don't have your mine 100% on the pedal...it makes you look like noob

Yea same here on the start-off's -- all or nothing. At least I can leave my car running with the keys in it at the liquor store and be confident that nobody is going to jump in and move it more than 2 feet without stalling it HAHA. No idea on time left on the clutch... it'll probably last longer than the motor with my luck.

Last edited by djamps; 09-26-2010 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:13 PM
meatbag

Originally Posted by XKR

You think the triple is bad try the OS Giken quad plate clutch.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:26 PM
XKR

I told Sharif to order the quad....but OS told him to go with the triple
Old 09-26-2010, 11:40 PM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I have it

But seriously its not that bad, it will get smother with time, at least for me
Old 09-27-2010, 12:24 AM
meatbag

Originally Posted by midz350
I have it

But seriously its not that bad, it will get smother with time, at least for me
Maybe you have the softer pressure plate then. The one I drove was horrid for street car use.