Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Brian Crower 4.15L + APS Extreme Turbo Kit Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 06:48 PM
abushong504

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again guys. It's getting closer and closer to being done. Got a lot done in the last couple of days. We ended up leaving a manifold stud at the head shop which was closed for the weekend, so we did all that we could do besides mounting the driver's side turbo up.

Tomorrow we are going to mount the turbo up and put it back into the car! Then do the ATI damper and front doghouse.

Now a few pics!

Old 10-27-2010, 08:36 PM
abushong504

Little update:

Got everything mounted on to the motor and went to put it in.

Almost in, now time to put on the other downpipe.

Almost....

Finally! The motor is in!

ATI damper installed

Tomorrow, going to put in the tranny bolts, connect all of the plugs, re-solder some wire and it should be good to go!

Have a tune scheduled for Nov 8th. Can't wait.

Here is another little goodie I picked up. Ordered it a quite a while ago, but well worth the wait!

Thanks to Adam at Z1. Quick release and hub should be here tomorrow.

Last edited by abushong504; 10-28-2010 at 06:36 AM.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:31 AM
GreenGoblin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sick i have the same wheel its awesome
Old 10-28-2010, 09:34 AM
350Z400rwhp

Nice! Can't wait to see your numbers!
Old 10-29-2010, 09:26 AM
SH Luciano

in like flynn for results!
Old 11-02-2010, 08:03 PM
abushong504

Thanks guys! Only a couple more days. I am getting quite excited. Car has been off the road for about 3 months. Going to be nice to just get out and drive it a bit. Won't have too much longer before snow.

In the meantime, here is the latest thing I have added. Sorry for the crappy iphone pics:

Guys, I forgot to mention; I also have my old APS tuner TT kit that I am going to be selling along with my 5AT with a TransGo valvebody upgrade.. If anyone has any interest please PM me.

Last edited by abushong504; 11-02-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:28 AM
can'tZme

BUMP! Don't leave us hanging Ashton!
Old 11-12-2010, 08:48 PM
abushong504

Car is at the tuner ready to be tuned. Will either get to it tomorrow or on Monday. I will post numbers once I get them!

One more goodie finally came in that I ordered back in August.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:36 PM
Z PHAT Z

Congrat on getting the car done! Like many other people, I can't wait to see the numbers. I too also have a built long block with Darton sleeves with L19 studs. It's been over 3 years running with the Greddy 18G TT kit. Last tune was by Hal@IP with 525 WHP. I drove my car tune with the Utec from Upstate NY to IP for a tune I drove none stop at night and arrived at IP at noon. Hal tunes my car until 6pm then I drove straight home LOL.
So I think your sleeved block should be ok.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:03 PM
abushong504

^Thanks for the encouraging words man! I am confident everything will be alright.

We started the tuning today. Got the motor broken in, did most of the driveability. We also started trying to get numbers. We did run into one issue which has to do with fuel. We are only getting fuel from one pump. We are not sure if only one pump is getting power or what. We are going to diagnose it in the morning as it was getting late. Will either be a wiring issue or a bad pump.

Either way, on wastegate springs which came to be around 13psi which is the lowest setting we could get, the car made 480rwhp and 465rwtq basically on one walbro with 93 octane on a dyno dynamics. Once we get the fuel issue fixed, we are expecting to get around 600-650 on pump.

Everything else is looking great! I can't wait to see the final numbers and to drive it again.

Last edited by abushong504; 11-15-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:32 PM
GreenGoblin

Awesome bro, congrats. Any plans for some race gas?
Old 11-15-2010, 06:48 PM
SH Luciano

very nice...i can only image the traction probs ull have with 600whp. with the 4.15l and aps extreme, what rpm's are u hitting 13psi at?
Old 11-15-2010, 07:17 PM
abushong504

I was looking for a goal of 600 whether I needed race gas or not. If I hit it with pump, I probably won't try race gas. If I do decide to, it won't be until a lot later down the road.

Yeah, traction is going to be an issue. I am going to be going through a lot of tires. We can't really do too much with gear dependent boost, especially in first, with the WG springs I have in there now. I could lower them to around 6psi or so and then do a nice gear/boost set-up which would cause less at the top end. I will probably try it out without changing the springs for a while and see how it is.

I had full boost at 3750 rpm. We are revving the car out to 7000k as of now. However, with the fuel issue, we can't see how much further we will be able to go. Tomorrow, I will have a lot more info.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:56 PM
06VenomZ

Nice build, lot of hard work. in for the #'s without pump issue
Old 11-16-2010, 05:42 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

YOu should ask Hal about a different boost solenoid that will allow you to run a 5psi spring and still hold the gates shut at 30psi.. hint it has more than 3 ports.

Originally Posted by abushong504
I was looking for a goal of 600 whether I needed race gas or not. If I hit it with pump, I probably won't try race gas. If I do decide to, it won't be until a lot later down the road.

Yeah, traction is going to be an issue. I am going to be going through a lot of tires. We can't really do too much with gear dependent boost, especially in first, with the WG springs I have in there now. I could lower them to around 6psi or so and then do a nice gear/boost set-up which would cause less at the top end. I will probably try it out without changing the springs for a while and see how it is.

I had full boost at 3750 rpm. We are revving the car out to 7000k as of now. However, with the fuel issue, we can't see how much further we will be able to go. Tomorrow, I will have a lot more info.

Last edited by str8dum1; 11-16-2010 at 05:46 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:08 AM
mw9

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In for updates, thanks for sharing
Old 11-29-2010, 08:01 PM
abushong504

Hey guys, sorry for the delay in updates. We have run into a few problems. Nothing too major. So please bear with me during my spiel!

While on the dyno, we tried up'ing the boost from wastegate pressure, however Hal was having a very difficult time in keeping a good boost line. We came to the conclusion that there was possibly a boost leak (couple, vacuum line, etc.) Also during all of this, we noticed that one of the vacuum lines had become burnt and actually destroyed because it was on the downpipe. This was my fault as I did the installation.

So the car went off the dyno. Upon taking it off we noticed the rear wheels had a lot of brake dust on them. The brakes were grabbing or touching. This turned out to be a bad bracket with too long of bolts which were actually touching the rotor on the inside a bit. Again my fault lol.

Hal and Eddie (at Dynosty) also noticed a little bit of fuel under the intake, turns out 1 or more of the o-rings was leaking fuel on the injector. Again, nothing major, but could have been a big problem. New o-rings were ordered and installed. However while all of this was disassembled, they noticed the lower intake was not torqued properly and that the upper manifold gasket was pretty rough. Again all my fault. This is what happens when you and your friend are your main mechanic. All of those things have been fixed.

There is still one more issue. It is with fuel. It seems that fuel is pretty close to being maxed out at wastegate pressure. We are thinking that either the injectors are smaller than what we thought (880cc) or that not enough fuel is reaching the injectors. We are just waiting on a fitting so that they can hook up their fuel pressure gauge to my lines to determine which one is which. The car will then go back on the dyno and see if all the issues are fixed and if we can get any more power.

I am hoping that one of the fuel pumps is bad rather than the injectors are maxed out as that would be cheaper haha. If the injectors are smaller than we thought, I will have to upgrade later down the road. I will just stick with wastegate pressure and fuel for the time being.

I just wanted to provide an update since I hadn't posted much on here lately. I will update as soon as I get some new info. Thanks guys.

Last edited by abushong504; 11-30-2010 at 05:41 AM.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:15 PM
De La Money

^^^ well if you run out of injector, i have some rc 1000cc im going to be selling. pm me if your interested
Old 11-30-2010, 10:41 AM
abushong504

^PM'd

And to hold some people over, here is the wastegate spring pressure map (13psi). This was during the tuning process along with all of the problems we were having.

We are also taking off the diff and putting my stock 3.3 one in. The one that was on it during the tuning period was apparently built. However, there has always been something iffy with it. The car was extremely hard to push, even while doing this, the tires would try to lock up. I am not sure if whoever built it did something wrong or what as this was from the donor car also. Eddie is going to take it apart and check it out. In the meantime, the new tuning will be done on the stock diff. The old one may have actually been providing a lot of resistance.

Last edited by abushong504; 11-30-2010 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:50 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

edit: now i see the dyno. So definately even if those were 600cc injectors, you shouldnt be maxing them on 480whp. you sure your pressure regulator is working properly. once you get the pressure gauge, you'll know in a second what it is.

i use this on everything http://heatshieldproducts.com/red-hot_sleeve.php
Having vac lines burn is silly on a build this expensive. Use fire braid.

ya you can tell thats just a rough tune. those turbos should run flat trq all the way out past 7000 rpms

Last edited by str8dum1; 11-30-2010 at 10:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Brian Crower 4.15L + APS Extreme Turbo Kit Build