Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Brian Crower 4.15L + APS Extreme Turbo Kit Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 11:36 AM
abushong504

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, it was definitely a rough tune at the point that the graph was taken. I think Hal mentioned that it was running good past 7000k RPM's already. However, we couldn't do any more tuning because of the problems that started showing up.

I agree with the injectors. Even if they were smaller, they would have to be extremely smaller to max out at 480. You are correct, once we get the pressure gauge hooked up, we will know just like that. I am anxious to see what it is.

Also, the reason we had a vacuum line burn was my fault. I had it basically laying on the downpipe. I overlooked it when running them. Hal actually re-routed everything so it is all nice and neat and out of the way now. I also had an 02 wire that just about burnt up also. Again, this was all just poor work by me. Should have looked it over better.

However, I may invest in the wrap that you posted just to have a failsafe. I definitely appreciate it.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:48 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ya, 480 on hal's dyno is right about the point a single walbro will run out so it's probably in the pumps.

a single walbro won't flow enough to max out 800cc injectors. When you do the math the walbro flows less than 6 800cc injectors and 800cc injectors aren't going to max at 480hp.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:58 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jeff he's not pump limited as per page 1
Old 11-30-2010, 01:21 PM
abushong504

I think he was saying there is something wrong with one of the pumps. Like the injectors are only getting enough pressure as if it's only coming from one pump. Which is why it's taking so much of the Injectors to get that little power.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:30 PM
BlinkerFluid

Are the injectors the ones that came with the APS extreme fuel kit?

I'm having similar issues as the injectors are acting smaller than advertised, I have already checked the fuel pumps and fuel pressure in boost and it's solid.

This is at 20psi on a 3.5L and I'm in the mid 90% IDC range. Time for some big boys and E85.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:04 PM
Blackbird CPV35

Originally Posted by binder
ya, 480 on hal's dyno is right about the point a single walbro will run out so it's probably in the pumps.

a single walbro won't flow enough to max out 800cc injectors. When you do the math the walbro flows less than 6 800cc injectors and 800cc injectors aren't going to max at 480hp.
I hit 550 with a single walbro on that dyno
Old 11-30-2010, 05:45 PM
BlinkerFluid

Originally Posted by Blackbird CPV35
If I recall correctly, you have a GTM kit, no? You may run a 43psi base fuel pressure compared to the 58psi base fuel pressure run by the APS kit, this could account for the difference in possibly maxing out the fuel pump at a lower power level.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:02 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by abushong504
This is what happens when you and your friend are your main mechanic. All of those things have been fixed.

i hear you, i had a few self induced issues. Looking back it was not so much my competence as a mechanic it was the fact we would work all day send time with our families and start working on the car at 9pm and finish at 1-2am I have since learned only week ends and take your time most of my issues were caused by over tired, rushing/not double checking.

Good to see you was on the home stretch anyway
Old 12-01-2010, 05:13 AM
eZg

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
i hear you, i had a few self induced issues. Looking back it was not so much my competence as a mechanic it was the fact we would work all day send time with our families and start working on the car at 9pm and finish at 1-2am I have since learned only week ends and take your time most of my issues were caused by over tired, rushing/not double checking.

I wondered if beer was involved
Old 12-01-2010, 05:48 AM
binder

Originally Posted by str8dum1
Jeff he's not pump limited as per page 1
in which he also mentioned "we think there is a problem with the twin pump system, either a bad pump or bad wiring"

so if he only has 1 functional pump then he is limited

Originally Posted by Blackbird CPV35
not all walbros are the same. I was out of a single walbro at 451 on that dyno. They have an error rate. Some work better than others right out of the box.

also, it doesn't matter because the rating on a walbro is far less than what 6 800cc injectors will flow so a walbro will be maxed before those injectors are maxed. It might show 100% duty cycle on the logs but that's beucase the injectors are all the way open but there isn't fuel flowing due to the lack of pump.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:00 AM
binder

math real quick:

800cc injectors x 6 = 4800cc or 4.8 liter/min. x 60 minutes in an hour = 288 liters in an hour

walbro= 255 liter/hour

a single walbro falls short of 800cc injectors by 33 liters per hour so if He has a bad pump he would run out.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:25 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 984 Likes on 747 Posts

^not to mention that the 255LPH rating is not at the 50+ psi that we run.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:37 AM
abushong504

Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35

Ha, I know exactly how you feel. That is what we did for about 3-4 months. Work all day, then pick each other up, head to work on the car. Leave there go home, try to spend some time with family, then go back to bed. Do the same thing over again the next day. It get's very frustrating and old. You start to lose the light at the end of the tunnel ha. But at least I have someone to check over all of the mechanical problems that I created. I will know that the car is safe.

As mentioned before, I am really hoping that one of the fuel pumps is bad or that it's just not getting any power.

Also, we took the "built" dif out and put in my OEM one. Apparently it is very jacked up. I was told it wobbled very badly and that we are lucky it didn't fail while being on the dyno and really mess things up. Eddie says that the tires move a lot more freely now though which is very nice.

The fuel adapter fitting should be in today. Once it is, check for leaks and put her back on the dyno to see what the fuel issue is and what kind of power she can make now. Again, I will keep updating. And thanks guys for all of the information. I have learned a lot through you all.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:28 AM
Blackbird CPV35

Originally Posted by BlinkerFluid
If I recall correctly, you have a GTM kit, no? You may run a 43psi base fuel pressure compared to the 58psi base fuel pressure run by the APS kit, this could account for the difference in possibly maxing out the fuel pump at a lower power level.
I had an APS extreme when I dynoed that, although I was also using a CJM Twin Pump and CJM Return setup as well

I was running base fuel pressure ~52psi
Old 12-09-2010, 05:29 AM
marra23

The silence is worrying
Old 12-09-2010, 05:55 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

nah, he had a simple issue. probably just waiting on parts...
Old 12-09-2010, 07:43 AM
binder

Originally Posted by str8dum1
nah, he had a simple issue. probably just waiting on parts...

or he has a life outside of my350z....
Old 12-09-2010, 04:33 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by binder
or he has a life outside of my350z....
what are you talking about I was unaware of such a thing.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:40 PM
abushong504

Ha, when things are going right I usually have no life outside of my350z... however

The car is not making any power! It has actually lost around 40 wheel in 2 weeks without anything being changed. This is still on wastegate pressure. Hal and Eddie have been testing everything to try and see what is wrong. The only thing left is the turbo(s). The turbos seem fine as in they sound good when on and also after the car is off, and we got our fingers on them and no major play, so there really are no tell tell signs. But, the only way we can really check is to take them off, send them off, and have them looked at. They are dual ball bearing garrett. They have very low miles if any on them which again makes it all seem very odd. But, I guess the turbo kit has been sitting quite a while so anything is possible.

The next step will be removal of the turbos. However, to take them off, the engine has to be dropped from the car and then the turbos removed, blah blah blah. Again as usual, more time. But, it must be done. I am very glad that it is winter and I am not missing any driving time with it.

I just wanted to update everyone. As mentioned before, this is really the only thing that can be wrong. On the dyno, the engine makes the exact same power everytime, but once full boost is hit, the power is always different. Up the boost to 20 and no change. So many diagnostic tests have been done with everything else. The turbos feel fine by hand, but again, that doesn't mean they aren't bad. It's just such a pain to remove them we wanted it to be the absolute option, which it now is.

More updates to come as soon as I get them lol. I am trying to stay positive, but I guess sometimes this is just part of it.

P.S. forgot to mention, we tested the fuel and it was fine. However, once we get the main problem worked out, fuel injectors will be the limiting factor.

Last edited by abushong504; 12-10-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:47 AM
eZg

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

Hang in there Ashton! At least you know when everything is complete you will have One Hell of a BEAST!!

Quick Reply: Brian Crower 4.15L + APS Extreme Turbo Kit Build