Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Installed 928 impeller, larger intercooler, meth solenoid. Now more problems!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 08:22 PM
GT-ER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed 928 impeller, larger intercooler, meth solenoid. Now more problems!

I got back from vacation and had new toys waiting for me.

I installed a new, larger intercooler ( 32x12x4 bar and plate instead of my previous 32x12x3 tube and fin ). That went smoothly and I didn't even have to modify my bumper support.

Next, I put the solenoid in for my meth kit to see if it would finally solve my misfire problem...for the moment it seems like it did the trick.

Finally, I installed the 928 impeller. That's where my problem is. The install of the impeller it's self was a nightmare. Removal of the vortech impeller was pretty difficult in it's self but installing the 928 one required me to heat it up to the point of burning my hand through my gloves and pressing it into the shaft with a LOT of force. Needless to say, it spun smoothly and perfectly so I installed it in the car. Upon turning the car on, the SC was making a loud whining noise. I removed the SC again and spun it with my hand and it started making the same noise. I remove the compressor housing to see if the wheels was touching and it still made the same noise. I think my bearings got damaged from me pressing the impeller on.

Anyways...the good part.

Without any kind of tuning ( just ran my base map with the meth ON ), and it pulled like a MONSTER! I didn't do many runs because I didn't want to pop my motor due to the tuning but needless to say, boost went up from 12-13psi to 17psi!

I might get it dynoed tomorrow.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:25 PM
TheFarmer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool. Post dyno results if/when you get it done
Old 10-07-2010, 09:21 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

If the bearings are making noise, I would stay off of it. They could barake up, and cause more damage.

When installing something like the new impeler, it is best to heat it (impeler) up, and cool the shaft. Dry ice works very well for cooling. There would not be a need for a press, the impeler would simply slide on to the shaft.

Just in case you have to rebuild the entire thing. Same goes for bearings, no strees on the bearings.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:39 PM
GT-ER

I didn't cool the shaft but I did heat up the impeller like crazy...it was super tight regardless.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:15 PM
hellsoldiers08

i still say change out the wheels :? lol

just hope nothing is badly damage.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:46 AM
Erdem

yeah man... if it's the bearings.. just order a new bearing kit, and drive the car with cog belt off.. untill it arrives..

Good luck and I'm in for the results!
Old 10-08-2010, 04:27 AM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GT-ER
I didn't cool the shaft but I did heat up the impeller like crazy...it was super tight regardless.
Was there any burrs or build up on the shaft? Even a small burr would create an issue.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:36 AM
GT-ER

There was buildup but I cleaned it off and it looked super shiny and smooth afterwards. My biggest worry is removing that impeller again to rebuild the headunit.

Whatever, I'll play with it some today and if the noise is bad then I'll disconnect it.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:52 AM
Vas_Z33

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I never had any problems with removing my old SC impeller and bearings. GT-ER, if the noise is still there make sure you do NOT drive it like that. your bearings will go. Installing the impeller on the vortech is very tricky. When you put it back in, 8/10 times the bearings will come loose. It has to go in nice and smoothly without forcing it in. ( it needs some muscle , but not to a huge extent ) I never heated anything up to put the impeller back in.

Also if your bearings went, I had a thread about bearings a while back , check it out and get the bearings from there. they spin up yo 70K and are way better than vortechs.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:04 AM
GT-ER

Well I "tuned" it today ( on the street so it's pretty conservative imo ) and WOW does it pull hard, mostly in the lower rpms which was kinda shocking because I didn't expect that. Anyways, I took the belt off till I get to the dyno, will dyno the SC then take the belt off again till I can go to the track ( hopefully tomorrow ) and then take off the belt again ( gotta love a belt that can be removed in 2 minutes ).

After that I guess I'll send it off to get it professionally rebuilt. Sucks...
Old 10-08-2010, 12:53 PM
GT-ER

Here are a few pics I took.

And here are the impellers.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:01 PM
GT-ER

Tried to get to a dyno today but they were too full.

Anyways...I have my car running in the 11.8-12.2 range with my injectors at 95% duty cycle ( I believe they are at 100% though cause I can't get the car any richer and the ECU calculations for IDC aren't always accurate ). I also have timing in the upper rpms set to 10-11*. It pulls great but I'm wondering if 10* is too low causing EGT's to go up ( I don't have a pyro )?

Anyways, we'll see if tomorrow I have better luck. My meth system quit working cause one of my wires got pinched so that's out of the equation.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:08 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Tried to get to a dyno today but they were too full.

Anyways...I have my car running in the 11.8-12.2 range with my injectors at 95% duty cycle ( I believe they are at 100% though cause I can't get the car any richer and the ECU calculations for IDC aren't always accurate ). I also have timing in the upper rpms set to 10-11*. It pulls great but I'm wondering if 10* is too low causing EGT's to go up ( I don't have a pyro )?

Anyways, we'll see if tomorrow I have better luck. My meth system quit working cause one of my wires got pinched so that's out of the equation.
You want to pull timing at peak torque, not max RPM. Timing curves should dip to the lowest point at peak torque, and then go back up towards peak HP. Not by much, but still going up.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:19 PM
GT-ER

Originally Posted by Boosted Performance
You want to pull timing at peak torque, not max RPM. Timing curves should dip to the lowest point at peak torque, and then go back up towards peak HP. Not by much, but still going up.
Correct, but remember that SC's build boost as rpms go up. My peak torque is near my max rpm ( about 6300rpm ). I'm more worried about my egts being too high.

Last edited by GT-ER; 10-08-2010 at 08:28 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:45 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Correct, but remember that SC's build boost as rpms go up. My peak torque is near my max rpm ( about 6300rpm ). I'm more worried about my egts being too high.
hp always increases with rpm but torque won't. Torque on a s/c will still drop off because your peak torque is always in the midrange. it's higher than stock but it will still be lower than redline. Mine was peaking around 5800 on my supercharger but hp kept climbing to 7700rpms.

10* seems way too low for redline. On my vortech at 14psi and redline i was at 19* timing. I'm sure you could bring the timing up a little but i would go slow since you are running more boost than me.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Sylvan Lake V35

You should just make one huge thread titled "GT-ERs latest problem" and just update it with all of your problems every time you change something
Old 10-09-2010, 11:43 AM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
You should just make one huge thread titled "GT-ERs latest problem" and just update it with all of your problems every time you change something
. Makes me kinda scetch about going FI. Then i think of CIN Motorsports+BP single= WIN
Old 10-09-2010, 12:55 PM
GT-ER

Originally Posted by binder
hp always increases with rpm but torque won't. Torque on a s/c will still drop off because your peak torque is always in the midrange. it's higher than stock but it will still be lower than redline. Mine was peaking around 5800 on my supercharger but hp kept climbing to 7700rpms.

10* seems way too low for redline. On my vortech at 14psi and redline i was at 19* timing. I'm sure you could bring the timing up a little but i would go slow since you are running more boost than me.
Check out my last dyno:

Peak torque was at around 6300rpm.

Regardless, I think I'll advance it a little bit up on top. Maybe to 12* or so and leave it there for now. Today I beat the crap out of the car and it pulled HARD! I love it!

Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
Jajaja...true...although one of my problems was solved today. I guy I know "jokingly" said he'd give me $250 for my meth system ( which is just barely less than what it cost me ) and I told him that if he was serious I'd remove it...he was more serious than I thought and gave me the money. The entire uninstall took me a whole 1 hour...lol...now I have no more problems with that and I doubt I'd use it anyways because I'm already in rod busting territory without it.

As for everything else...I'm sure I would have never made a topic on problems if I would have installed my system and left it alone....but who does that?

Last edited by GT-ER; 10-09-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:01 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 2004Black350z
. Makes me kinda scetch about going FI. Then i think of CIN Motorsports+BP single= WIN
You sound like you know what you are talking about..
Old 10-09-2010, 04:35 PM
GT-ER

Well I advance timing to 14-15* and wow it feels smooth and strong. I'm going to leave it there.

Man I need to get to a dyno...

Quick Reply: Installed 928 impeller, larger intercooler, meth solenoid. Now more problems!