Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

How many motors blown due to Procharger?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 03:08 PM
daking350
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Huhh hauhha huahhha .......Imake draw!!!
Old 11-25-2003, 03:19 PM
daking350
Banned

I make draw!!!
Attached Thumbnails How many motors blown due to Procharger?-untitled.jpg  
Old 11-25-2003, 03:20 PM
12SecZ

It's only metal, it can be fixed

Last edited by 12SecZ; 11-25-2003 at 05:11 PM.
Old 11-25-2003, 08:49 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by daking350
I make draw!!!

All your melted pistons are belong to ATI?
Old 11-25-2003, 09:18 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Daking350 create a list of current ATI SC owners that is over 25 people at this point. To take that list and create useful information for all of us, I made a poll that asks "Please state if your SC kit is trouble free or not in this poll".

Hopefully this poll will actually define what is the percentage of problems occuring and end the debate of if the problems are occuring frequently or just with a few owners.

Jeff - zland
Old 12-01-2003, 07:47 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Everyone:

There is a group buy on a 3 gauge pod on the A column for the Z. I am looking for the thread that list all the current ATI owners so we can ask them if they want to buy one. Does anyone remember that name of the thread that lists the ATI owners?

Thanks, Jeff -zland
Old 12-01-2003, 08:50 AM
Dissolved

Originally posted by daking350
I make draw!!!
Old 12-01-2003, 08:56 AM
Dissolved

Originally posted by zland
The ATI kit has only been out a couple of months. There is still some R&D being done on fuel management. What is not 100% reliable now may become reilable in 3 months once the details are worked out. In addition, there are more FI kits coming to market. To say FI is not reliable is premature. All products go through this typ of cycle. You cannot judge the SC kits reliability without seeing them come out first thus how could you know the reilability of a Vortch or DW SC tight now?

Same thing, I cannot confirm hp gain of a NA product until it is dyno'ed
You're joking right? How many blown motors does it take? Re read mydogcools' post. Makes perfect sense
Old 12-01-2003, 09:39 AM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

The ATI kit has only been out a couple of months. There is still some R&D being done on fuel management. What is not 100% reliable now may become reilable in 3 months once the details are worked out. In addition, there are more FI kits coming to market. To say FI is not reliable is premature. All products go through this typ of cycle. You cannot judge the SC kits reliability without seeing them come out first thus how could you know the reilability of a Vortch or DW SC tight now?

Same thing, I cannot confirm hp gain of a NA product until it is dyno'ed
i want to add my little bit of knowledge and opinion on this whole "ATI" problem...

it is not an ATI problem... it is a forced induction problem. after reading many threads, and PMing with multiple ATI owners (you know who you all are). i have come to this understanding:

some of the kits have/had problems because of installation and/or tuning. the main perp. here is the fuel system. this piece needs to be installed a particular way, which is not very clear in the instructions... first, you need an inline pump with no check valve... second, you need to install a check valve parallel to the pump, with the "flow" side pointing in the same direction as the pump...
missing any of these points, and you will not have reliable fuel delivery. this could lead to bad tuning... or you could just have crappy tuning done in general.

the main cause of concern for all ATI owners should be the lack of timing control released with the kit. do you know you are running 28 degrees of advanced timing at redline with 7+ lbs of boost? that is a disaster waiting to happen...

my suggestion is to control your timing. i got mine down to 16 deg total at redline, and my a/f is less than 12, and my EGTs are fine.

please note i did not blame ati... i think they should step up though... same reason why greddy is locking the emanage maps to run only to 5.x lbs... they have no way of controlling timing either in their kit. this is also why stillen guys complain of pinging... their roots type build boost way early, as opposed to ATI, which is max boost at redline...
Old 12-01-2003, 09:42 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

SKiDaZZLe:

Good post, brief, informative, and to the point!

Jeff - zland
Old 12-01-2003, 11:31 AM
N4Spd

yah, maybe the problem originated from the car being not FI
friendly, but once you start selling a "reliable" FI kit then it
becomes your problem...

lower the boost, add timing retard, whatever, but it's the seller's
problem to solve (if they are going to claim "reliable")...

my 2 cents...
Old 12-01-2003, 11:45 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally posted by SKiDaZZLe
the main cause of concern for all ATI owners should be the lack of timing control released with the kit. do you know you are running 28 degrees of advanced timing at redline with 7+ lbs of boost? that is a disaster waiting to happen...

my suggestion is to control your timing. i got mine down to 16 deg total at redline, and my a/f is less than 12, and my EGTs are fine.

please note i did not blame ati... i think they should step up though... same reason why greddy is locking the emanage maps to run only to 5.x lbs... they have no way of controlling timing either in their kit. this is also why stillen guys complain of pinging... their roots type build boost way early, as opposed to ATI, which is max boost at redline...
I dont know if you realize it but what you are suggesting ATI owners to do is what Vortech is promising they have already done on their SC kit released this week. I guess we will see if timing is really the issue because the Vortech is much like the ATI except for it is set to retard the timing as the RPM's increase.

If Vortech owners have much fewer problems, we might have the answer, if not, well back to the drawing board!

Jeff - zland

Last edited by zland; 12-01-2003 at 02:41 PM.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:37 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

I dont know if you realize it but what you are suggesting ATI owners to do is what Vortech is promising they have already done on their SC kit released this week. I guess we will see if timing is really the issue because the Vortech is much like the ATI except for it is set to retard the timing as the RPM's increase.

If Vortech owners have much ferwer problesm, we might have the answer, if not, well back to the drawing board!

Jeff - zland
I'm not sure it's necessary to wait and see with the Vortechs.....i'm sure there are some tuner formulas that can show mathematically that this is too much timing......everything i've seen in relation to FI says that this is WAYYYYY too much timing for this application.......and as we've seen in SkiDazzle's, Cheston's, and 12secZ's cases, there are successful FI stories out there..........strangely, ATI claims that this never caused an issue for them in their test cars.
Old 06-12-2005, 04:45 PM
richsrq

Mine blew with procharger too.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:00 PM
jlimquest

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YIKES!!! What was your set-up? How many miles did you have on it? I'm about to have mine installed.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:10 AM
richsrq

It was the stock motor. I took it straight to the dyno after the install and had it dynoed rich and safe. The motor lasted 3 weeks.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:37 AM
John at J&S

Rich doesn't guarantee safe. You could run 13.0 A/F if you address the timing to keep it out of detonation. It's just easier with a rich mixture.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:20 AM
jlimquest

Did you install a J & S Safeguard &/or have the ECU reflashed? Or did you run it out of the box? Sorry for your loss & all the questions. We just want to learn as much as we could from this experience as well.
Thanks,
Jeff

Originally Posted by richsrq
It was the stock motor. I took it straight to the dyno after the install and had it dynoed rich and safe. The motor lasted 3 weeks.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:21 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Holy ancient thread!

IMHO, any amount of boost, on 91-93 octane is unsafe on a stock CR motor without some timing retard. The procharger doesnt have provisions for timing retard, so I consider it an unsafe kit out of the box. Same goes for the Greddy kit. With the Greddy kit, its as easy as install the ignition harness to retard timing. Or you can use the J&S system to accomplish the same thing.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:47 AM
richsrq

I did not use the J&S Safeguard or anything else to play with timing. The setting from Procharger was set pig rich. It was leaned out a bit but still on the rich side. I had one the first few prochargers out so there was not that much research out yet. I since went with the Greddy kit with the ignition harness. Rich

Quick Reply: How many motors blown due to Procharger?