Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Pathfinder VQ35DE vs. 350Z/G35 VQ35DE. The thread to end all threads!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 02:07 PM
GT-ER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pathfinder VQ35DE vs. 350Z/G35 VQ35DE. The thread to end all threads!

I purchased an used VQ35DE from a 2004 Pathfinder for a whole $100 today. It overheated and lost compression on some cylinders according to the person who sold it to me, maybe it bent a head or blew a headgasket...I don't know. All I want it the block and crank.

Can a Pathfinder VQ be used in a G35/350Z? That is the question I want to help answer.

I have both of the side by side and to begin, it's pretty obvious that both blocks began life in the same identical mold. The machining process is what changes between one and the other and here they are:

Change 1 of 2:

Here you can see that one of the threaded holes that the G/Z block has was sliced off for the pathfinder. Probably to make room for an accessory. The good news is that I believe the G/Z doesn't seem to use this threaded hole anyways ( mine is all dirty as if there never was a bolt in it and I can't remember removing one ) so it's not an issue.

THIS is the real issue...Change 2 of 2:

The dipstick is in a totally different place. The area where the dipstick goes on the G/Z is covered as if it was never machined ( because it wasn't ) and this is where the pathfinder has it:

The only easy solution I can think of is to plug off the pathfinder dipstick tube and simply not run a dipstick at all. Whether I'm up for this or not I'm not sure...I never really check my oil and I know my car takes exactly 6 quarts ( I have a spacer ).

So...what do you guys think? Everything else is the same on the block. The rest of the engine it very different though so I'd have to swap just about everything from my block to this one.

UPDATES:

1) I mistakenly thought the dipstick went into the block and it actually goes into the head and THEN the block. If I swap my heads over I'll have no problems using the pathfinder block on my car.

2) The pathfinder oil dipstick does NOT have to be plugged after removal to be used in the G/Z. The G/Z oil pan is routed in such a way that it makes the hole useless ( the G/Z block has this hole already made, it's just not used ).

3) For the moment, the block, crank, rods, and oil pump are pretty much the ONLY things that are the same between the G/Z and pathfinder. EVERYTHING else is different, the heads, cams, cam gears, timing chains, timing covers, intake manifolds, etc.

Last edited by GT-ER; 11-07-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:41 PM
ashtrojan2008

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go ahead and do it. i dont recommend your dipstick solution... how do you check oil consumption? what if you have a leak, you don't know how much to replace. blah blah blah. What internals are you planning on running?
on the bright side, you have the pathfinder cooling mod now, huh?

ross
Old 11-01-2010, 03:08 PM
GT-ER

Originally Posted by ashtrojan2008
go ahead and do it. i dont recommend your dipstick solution... how do you check oil consumption? what if you have a leak, you don't know how much to replace. blah blah blah. What internals are you planning on running?
on the bright side, you have the pathfinder cooling mod now, huh?

ross
I doubt oil consumption will be an issue on a fully rebuilt engine. If it leaks oil my garage floor should tell me...lol. It's not my daily driver anymore so I'd probably be changing out the oil due to time not in use vs. miles driven. Plus, aren't modern BMW/Mercedes dipstick-less? Regardless....I AM kinda hesitant to do so.

Regardless, as you said, I have the pathfinder cooling mod.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:17 PM
seymore4
Professional

Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

Thats a horrible idea... no way to check oil level is a recipe for fail unless you plan on changing it every 1000 miles
Old 11-01-2010, 03:23 PM
350Z400rwhp

Dude I hope you get everything fixed and get your car back on the road soon but I have a few comments to say as I have read all of your threads and found a common theme. You seem to always want to leave a small something to chance and risk major failure for little or no reason at all. First you run a stock block up to 17 PSI and beat the sh*t out of it with your injectors maxed out and no professional tune until you ultimatly destroy your engine. Then you want to save a couple hundred dollars and not invest in ARP headstuds while you are rebuilding your enigne anyway. Now you are thinking about taking a route that won't allow you to check youe engine's most vital fluid? Dude an ounce of prevention equals a pound of cure. Stop cutting corners on the small stuff, it will bite you in the *** and cost you triple in the long run. Good luck with everything and I am looking forward to your eventual setup with the 928 Impeller and your pulleyed down Vortech on a built block.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:33 PM
GreenGoblin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure the dip stick will be in the way, It looks like it might work as is. If not you could use something like this or possible just bend the tube on your current one.
http://performanceparts.com/part.php?partID=438028

Last edited by GreenGoblin; 11-01-2010 at 03:35 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:37 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the dipstick may not be in the way, but once he changes the oil pan to the Z oil pan, there will be no sump area back there for it to measure oil, it will either not slide down all the way or it will just curve around there and get worthless reading and possibly contact moving parts.

just plug the hole, and use the Z dipstick... i dont see what is difficult about that since the Z dipstick mounts to the Z cylinder heads you are probably going to use on the pathfinder block anyway. you just need to make sure that channel inside the block that the dipstick travels through after passing thru the head is the same.

as for not having a dipstick at all... you have got to be kidding.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:40 PM
GT-ER

Originally Posted by 350Z400rwhp
Dude I hope you get everything fixed and get your car back on the road soon but I have a few comments to say as I have read all of your threads and found a common theme. You seem to always want to leave a small something to chance and risk major failure for little or no reason at all. First you run a stock block up to 17 PSI and beat the sh*t out of it with your injectors maxed out and no professional tune until you ultimatly destroy your engine. Then you want to save a couple hundred dollars and not invest in ARP headstuds while you are rebuilding your enigne anyway. Now you are thinking about taking a route that won't allow you to check youe engine's most vital fluid? Dude an ounce of prevention equals a pound of cure. Stop cutting corners on the small stuff, it will bite you in the *** and cost you triple in the long run. Good luck with everything and I am looking forward to your eventual setup with the 928 Impeller and your pulleyed down Vortech on a built block.
I actually have ARP studs...just the standard ones which apparently suck I guess ( yet I personally know someone with 750whp using them ). I just don't want to spend $10000 on a build when $5000 will do just fine ( just throwing numbers here ). I don't wish to "overbuild" my engine so I'm taking everyone input into consideration. Trust me, I'm listening to you guys...I just want EVERYONES opinion.

I just don't see the big issue about not having an oil dipstick...although not having it also kinda makes me feel weird about it...lol. As I asked, don't modern BMW's and Mercedes' come without dipsticks? I don't know what to think.

Last edited by GT-ER; 11-02-2010 at 05:04 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:42 PM
GT-ER

EDITED for being an idiot.

Last edited by GT-ER; 11-01-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:44 PM
GT-ER

I wonder if a machine shop can just drill the block where the Z/G dipstick goes.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:46 PM
GT-ER

Wait...I feel like such an idiot! IT IS the cylinder head that is blocked off...LOL...I have to check the block now to see if it has the hole below the cylinder head...LOL. Sorry.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:46 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Originally Posted by GT-ER
Actually, the Z dipstick goes into the block, not the cylinder head. This is why I can't use it since the pathfinder block doesn't have the provision for it.
i dont know what Z you have... but in the 2003 VQ35DE in the 350z, the dipstick, no if ands ors about it... goes into the cylinder head. RIGHT next to the valvecover.

Old 11-01-2010, 03:47 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Originally Posted by GT-ER
Wait...I feel like such an idiot! IT IS the cylinder head that is blocked off...LOL...I have to check the block now to see if it has the hole below the cylinder head...LOL. Sorry.
its all good
Old 11-01-2010, 03:52 PM
GT-ER

YAY...I'm so happy. It looks like the pathfinder block will have no problems fitting in a G/Z ( as long as the dipstick portion inside the block has a hole, which is should since it's probably cast in ).

So there you have it guys...if you blow your motor up and find a cheap *** pathfinder engine, dig in!
Old 11-01-2010, 03:53 PM
GT-ER

Originally Posted by phunk
i dont know what Z you have... but in the 2003 VQ35DE in the 350z, the dipstick, no if ands ors about it... goes into the cylinder head. RIGHT next to the valvecover.

Please...delete all proof of my idiotness...LOL. I kid!

I have a G BTW.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:53 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

does the pathfinder engine have the same VVT setup in the cylinder heads?
Old 11-01-2010, 03:56 PM
GT-ER

The cam gears and front timing cover are different. I think the rear timing cover is the same though.

Last edited by GT-ER; 11-01-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:26 PM
hellsoldiers08

i guess he always wants a project car......
Old 11-02-2010, 03:03 AM
SamSpicer

lol good luck
Old 11-02-2010, 05:43 AM
GT-ER

Now that I know the block can be used, is there a way to be able to tell if the cranks are identical? Physically the look the same but does anyone know if the pathfinders is forged?

Quick Reply: Pathfinder VQ35DE vs. 350Z/G35 VQ35DE. The thread to end all threads!