Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Twin turbo build fabrication/pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 03:00 AM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by XBS
Busy with work! I started a RE investment company a while ago and have been super busy with the current market, not much time to play with the car - but I am slowing getting back into it

Hows the car running?

-George
I just got the parts for the 4th engine Hopefully this one will make it.

I remember PMing about me GTM TT kit two years ago like its yesterday.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:47 PM
XBS
Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by midz350
I just got the parts for the 4th engine Hopefully this one will make it.

I remember PMing about me GTM TT kit two years ago like its yesterday.
Wow number 4 huh? What have your failures been related too?

You are right that was 2 years ago! How time flies!

-George
Old 04-17-2011, 01:16 PM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by XBS
I would have to disagree as that is not entirely true. Based on your logic, Nissan would then have to individually tune every car they produce, which is obviously not the case.

Now if you are running a standalone or piggyback engine management system, then yes I would agree you should have a tune specific to your build.

But....

One of the major benefits of flashing the factory ECU is you retain and benefit from all the capabilities the manufacturer as already designed. air temp compensation, altitude compensation, fuel temp. compensation, voltage compensation, etc. etc.

So if you have a production turbo kit, designed for a specific trim vehicle, and during your R&D process tune this vehicle utilizing the factory ECU (within an acceptable safety margin of course) then packages this tune and supply it with your kit - you can literally install the kit, flash the ECU and drive the car.

I believe there are plenty of GTM kits with their flash running around that can prove this point. Not to mention tuners like Dinan, and various EVO tuners that sell their tunes over the internet/mail.

Just want to make sure we aren't spreading wrong information that might scare some folk who don't know any better

In short, a properly pre-packaged tune that is used with the kit it was designed for is no more dangerous, and if not safer (due to incompetent tuners abroad), than a custom tune.

-George
Have to disagree with this statement. Nissan has a flash for all Zs from the factory bc they all have the same hp. No mods etc. My bone stock Z was running extremely lean almost unsafe when I baselined my car. However a friends z was running real rich. That alone should tell u a generic flash is useless. Why invest thousands in power then cheap out on a tune for your specific tune/climate etc.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:51 PM
XBS
Veteran

Then there is something else wrong with your car, the flash is tuned for a certain range of power, and as long as you do not exceed that range you will be fine. (Therefore differences in power are irrelevant)

What where the specifications of your car? Turbo kit/EMS/Fuel/etc.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:11 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by XBS
Then there is something else wrong with your car, the flash is tuned for a certain range of power, and as long as you do not exceed that range you will be fine. (Therefore differences in power are irrelevant)

What where the specifications of your car? Turbo kit/EMS/Fuel/etc.
the only problem is the fuel compensations only work when the car is in closed loop. Open loop mode has no fuel adjustments and is static therefore if built engine A flows more than built engine B then that same tune will be lean with built engine A.

Factory engines can vary as much as 10% on power. Built engines would be in the same ballpark if not more variation due to the fact that there are different machinists working on the extra engines.

Out of the box tunes are generally going to run rich with retarded timing so the engines are "safe". This is far from ideal compared to getting a tune specific for a vehicle. 8 grand for a twin turbo kit plus the install and supporting mods so the 600-800$ for a dyno tune is well worth the weight of the cost.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:06 AM
XBS
Veteran

Jeff,

I believe we are talking about stock block buying a complete turbo kit including ems vs. a tuner kit with a custom tune. If we keep changing the scenario of course things will change if you are spending the money to get a built engine and turbo system it would be silly not to get a custom tune as well especially if you are exceeding the kits recommend boost pressure for that specific tune.

If anything the tune will be safer with a built engine due to lower compression and stronger components - so I still stand by my argument, although I do understand your perspective

Also just to clarify I was responding to the comment that not getting a custom tune is dangerous/going to blow your engine and that you should never use one (which is ridiculous). I am not arguing the fact that a custom tune will yield the most performance per individual car.

-George
Old 04-20-2011, 12:51 PM
binder

Originally Posted by XBS
Jeff,

I believe we are talking about stock block buying a complete turbo kit including ems vs. a tuner kit with a custom tune. If we keep changing the scenario of course things will change if you are spending the money to get a built engine and turbo system it would be silly not to get a custom tune as well especially if you are exceeding the kits recommend boost pressure for that specific tune.

If anything the tune will be safer with a built engine due to lower compression and stronger components - so I still stand by my argument, although I do understand your perspective

Also just to clarify I was responding to the comment that not getting a custom tune is dangerous/going to blow your engine and that you should never use one (which is ridiculous). I am not arguing the fact that a custom tune will yield the most performance per individual car.

-George
ah, i didn't know we were talking about stock block. I just assumed people have realized a twin turbo setup with the ability to pump out 800hp is a waste of money on a stock block.

I do agree an out of box tune can be a SAFE tune. They generally are over safe because of liability from the manufacturer.

We were just on different pages.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:00 AM
XBS
Veteran

Thanks what I figured Jeff, no hard feelings
Old 04-22-2011, 07:02 AM
phantom617

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

subscribed!

Will the twin turbo kit also be able to work on a 05 6mt G35 coupe? If so I'll be in touch next tax return time
Old 04-22-2011, 07:29 AM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by phantom617
subscribed!

Will the twin turbo kit also be able to work on a 05 6mt G35 coupe? If so I'll be in touch next tax return time
Yes, this will work with the auto as well. At the moment the project is on the shelf do to time/funding. The car will be going back on the road May 1st, and I don't plan on doing any R&D with the TT idea untill late in the year. At that point it will be completed, and ready to go.

I do have 4 ST kits ready to go at a great low price .
Old 04-22-2011, 07:34 AM
phantom617

great that gives me ample time to put funds together and patiently wait for you to say they're ready for sale and I'll be in touch to figure out the best options and such and send payment

Thanks

Originally Posted by Boosted Performance
Yes, this will work with the auto as well. At the moment the project is on the shelf do to time/funding. The car will be going back on the road May 1st, and I don't plan on doing any R&D with the TT idea untill late in the year. At that point it will be completed, and ready to go.

I do have 4 ST kits ready to go at a great low price .
Old 04-26-2011, 09:34 AM
phantom617

one more question... would I be able to retain the use of DC sport ceramic headers and Motordyne Engineering ART resonance test pipes? or will I need to get different headers and test pipes when I do the install of the twin turbo kit?
Old 04-26-2011, 10:09 AM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by phantom617
one more question... would I be able to retain the use of DC sport ceramic headers and Motordyne Engineering ART resonance test pipes? or will I need to get different headers and test pipes when I do the install of the twin turbo kit?
For optimal performace aftermarket headers are a great investment, so keep them for sure. The turbo(s) will sit in the place of your test pipes, so those would have to go.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:14 AM
phantom617

Originally Posted by Boosted Performance
For optimal performace aftermarket headers are a great investment, so keep them for sure. The turbo(s) will sit in the place of your test pipes, so those would have to go.

oh sweet! I have no problem ditching my current test pipes. I have Kinetix resonated test pipes and they're still raspy on my car so I was thinking of switching to the ART pipes to eliminate the rasp but if the turbos take the place of the test pipes then that just saves me money overall

Can't wait til this winter to discuss options and send funds for this. I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread

and thanks for the quick replies I know your're a real busy guy so I appreciate you taking the time to answer
Old 04-26-2011, 12:10 PM
binder

not to thread jack but it's probably your exhaust causing the rasp. I have unresonated cheapo test pipes with borla full exhaust and i've never had rasp from day 1. It seems most people with rasp have a straight through design or a single 3" exhaust.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:25 PM
phantom617

Originally Posted by binder
not to thread jack but it's probably your exhaust causing the rasp. I have unresonated cheapo test pipes with borla full exhaust and i've never had rasp from day 1. It seems most people with rasp have a straight through design or a single 3" exhaust.

I sent u and email so we don't go off topic here
Old 05-19-2011, 06:31 AM
phantom617

BUMPING this thread so we don't lose sight of it
Old 06-01-2011, 08:32 PM
RemiZ33

How far did you make it with the prototype for this kit?
Old 06-01-2011, 09:12 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by RemiZ33
How far did you make it with the prototype for this kit?
I have a local guy that would like to run a couple of GT2871R's on a built G35. Time however is a bit tight for me, so we are trying to work something out.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:52 AM
RemiZ33

Sweet. I'm dying to see the kit and the numbers it puts down. Been slowly building the support mods in anticipation of your twin kit. I'm anxious to see how it all fits together.

Quick Reply: Twin turbo build fabrication/pics