Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

How do you guys get such high WHP out of low PSI turbo set ups??

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 02:02 AM
djtimodj

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How do you guys get such high WHP out of low PSI turbo set ups??

This is a strange question but my built TT set up make 469whp and 448wtq at 0.9bar boost (13ish psi).

I see cars on here making more power than me at 10psi WTF?? I know a more aggressive tune with extra timing would make more power but not that much?

Any ideas? Ive seen a car from Z1 make 550+ whp at 14-15psi ? How?? lol...

Ps. I know the bigger the TT kit the more air flow and less boost needed to make power. The cars im looking at are running the same Garrett APS kits as my car.

Thanks.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:30 AM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all the guys here can agree to one fact, which is, every car respond differently to the same mods.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:17 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

LOL - and so does every dyno.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:26 AM
rh_334

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by djtimodj

Any ideas? Ive seen a car from Z1 make 550+ whp at 14-15psi ? How?? lol...

Ps. I know the bigger the TT kit the more air flow and less boost needed to make power. The cars im looking at are running the same Garrett APS kits as my car.
The Z1 car has the same Turbos you and I do, the APS GT28s, and made 594rwhp @15 psi (SAE Dynojet)

What kind of supporting mods do you have? Cams? exhaust? downpipes? i will note the Z1 car had 3.5"downpipes, 3"exhaust, JWT C2 cams, and Kinetix plenum(believe what you want it works)
Old 01-13-2011, 04:26 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd say its different dynos more then anything
Old 01-13-2011, 04:29 AM
rh_334

I see cars on here making more power than me at 10psi WTF?? I know a more aggressive tune with extra timing would make more power but not that much?
i assume your referring to me? If so keep in mind compression has alot todo with it, im stock block 10.3:1 Compression. Im not sure if this calculation is accurate for boosted engines but NA 1compression number = ~5% more power, based on that, by compression difference alone i should make ~7%more power than you at the same boost (no other factors included such as cams tune etc.)
Old 01-13-2011, 04:57 AM
Vas_Z33

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

doesnt alberto make like 603 @ 13 lbs?... lol. but i think compression has to do a lot with it, dyno, mods and all cars are different
Old 01-13-2011, 05:02 AM
rh_334

Originally Posted by Vas_Z33
doesnt alberto make like 603 @ 13 lbs?... lol. but i think compression has to do a lot with it, dyno, mods and all cars are different

Originally Posted by Alberto
I dont have files of the before graphs just old wrinkled print outs.

All Dynojet numbers, 5th gear.

JWT S1

13psi 525whp

15.5psi 581whp

BC 3's

13psi 605whp

15.5psi 656whp

All on 93 pump gas, meth is slightly higher hp, with gobs more TQ. Thats all off the top of my ehad I could be off by a few hp pn either one.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:09 AM
djtimodj

I have stock heads with APS GT28's and 3.5" dp's with a custom unsilenced 2.5" exhaust.

How the hell can Alberto make 130WHP more than me with a bigger exhaust some cams and different tune? lol...

I know some dyno's read high and some low but thats a huge difference!

Im in the UK and alot of tuners over here think american dyno's read very high in comparison to the UK's?

I can understand your making more power due to the high compression stock block. But the guys that are on low comp motors like mine still make huge power off the same boost as me :-S
Old 01-13-2011, 05:11 AM
John@z1
Sponsor
Z1 Motorsports

Our dyno is known to make less power than most heartbreaker dynos in the area. This is pretty strange considering we have a dynojet. The car in question that is making 59+(low compression build) on the APS kit has been the owners project car for some time and has gone through a couple of different phases. The latest was cams, PMAS and Osiris. This car was taken to the track and abused after the tune with no issues. I took 3 days on the dyno trying different settings until I created the best hp tune on the Osiris(good for 4th gear being useless).

Find a tuner that will not hit you over the head and cares about your car like it is his and you will make much more reliable power. Also the tunes are very conservative on these cars.

Last edited by John@z1; 01-13-2011 at 05:18 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:13 AM
rh_334

I have stock heads with APS GT28's and 3.5" dp's with a custom unsilenced 2.5" exhaust.

How the hell can Alberto make 130WHP more than me with a bigger exhaust some cams and different tune? lol...

Im in the UK and alot of tuners over here think american dyno's read very high in comparison to the UK's?
I think stock Cams would be holding you back alot, that same car @ Z1 only made ~530 built with stock cams, you may also want to consider upgrading to 3" exhaust, i think APS claims no significant restriction on their 2.5" until 600crankhp (~470rwhp)

What correction factor do you use? and what kind of dyno?
Old 01-13-2011, 05:15 AM
maXmood
Under Boost!

I can understand your making more power due to the high compression stock block. But the guys that are on low comp motors like mine still make huge power off the same boost as me :-S

^my SC setup made 100whp less than everyone else on the forum with the same setup.
and i'm not in the US as well.

alot of factors.. weather, humidity, fuel, elevation, dyno, engine, tune, etc.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:21 AM
Erdem

I have experienced this myself.. I've heard from many tuners here in Denmark
that the american WHP readings are ridicilous

even tho we have higher octane here (95 as a standard up to 99)
Old 01-13-2011, 05:24 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The parts you choose dont just have to be good on their own, they have to sync together. Many of us dont have time or money to try diff cams, EMS setups, but thru my issues and rebuild, I had that opportunity.

Even after the BC 3's and Haltech, along with the twin pump fuel system, the car didnt feel strong to me. Something was off. I found a tuner that has been tuning for way longer than many shops on here who started after the Z33 was released. The difference was night and day.

I cant stress the tuner enough. Having somebody/shop who was running single digit 1/4 mile times, and road racing in the mid 90's with imports is a HUGE benefit to anything they do today. Just look at how many shops here havent hit 9's in 2011 with a car that came out in 2003! Experience > forum popularity

Last edited by Alberto; 01-13-2011 at 05:33 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:29 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

You're in the ballpark - as long as the tune is sound, you're fine. If you are worried about a boost leak or engine integrity - get the basic testing done for peace of mind.

The bottom line is that dynos are a poor way to compare the power between cars unless testing conditions are strictly controlled. Alberto's numbers are a prime example: the same car, same turbo kit, at different dynos on different days (with different cams and tune) making way different peak whp #s.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:32 AM
rh_334

Originally Posted by Erdem
even tho we have higher octane here (95 as a standard up to 99)
Higher octane itself wont make anymore power, its more stable so it enables to tuner to be more aggressive and make more power, so like Alberto said it all goes back to the tuner

I cant stress the tuner enough. Having somebody/shop who was running single digit 1/4 mile times, and road racing in the mid 90's with imports is a HUGE benefit to anything they do today. Just look at how many shops here havent hit 9's in 2001 with a car that came out in 2003! Experience > forum popularity
Old 01-13-2011, 05:32 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rcdash
You're in the ballpark - as long as the tune is sound, you're fine. If you are worried about a boost leak or engine integrity - get the basic testing done for peace of mind.

The bottom line is that dynos are a poor way to compare the power between cars unless testing conditions are strictly controlled. Alberto's numbers are a prime example: the same car, same turbo kit, at different dynos on different days (with different cams and tune) making way different peak whp #s.
Raj you dont have to have prime testing conditions to have noticed the huge difference in the poweband my car had before/after the tune change, let alone the peak increases. They can only be attributed to the tuner, not testing conditions.

I have the numbers on a MD DJ from the new setup + Forged Tune then the PFS tune later in the day, its still a big difference.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:52 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even after the BC 3's and Haltech, along with the twin pump fuel system, the car didnt feel strong to me. Something was off. I found a tuner that has been tuning for way longer than many shops on here who started after the Z33 was released. The difference was night and day.

I cant stress the tuner enough. Having somebody/shop who was running single digit 1/4 mile times, and road racing in the mid 90's with imports is a HUGE benefit to anything they do today. Just look at how many shops here havent hit 9's in 2011 with a car that came out in 2003! Experience > forum popularity
^ THAT is the cold hard truth despite the BS spewed here on the forums by the VQ bubble shops and their supporters.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:09 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Whats the truth? There are lots of cars that have 9sec traps. Manual supras need about 137-140 to break the 9s, which is about what we'd need as well (maybe a couple mph faster for heavier G35s).

There are plenty of shops with 700-900+whp cars that cant break out of the 11s, let alone impossible 9s. how does that show experience>forum popularity? All that shows is our cars arent good for drag racing, as you know they were tuned excellently. If someone mass produced a TH400 bell housing adapter, 9sec passes would be as common as the supras.

Like everyone has said, how you tune and your risk acceptance level play the biggest role.

Last edited by str8dum1; 01-13-2011 at 06:12 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:23 AM
djtimodj

See my tuner runs a VQ powered 350z drag car that's in the 6's so they know what there doing I have no doubt abou that. :-)

470whp does not = 600crank hp. I would put my car around 525-535 crank.

I think it's manly down to the us dyno's reading high IMHO. My car was run in 4th on a dynapack hub dyno and made 469. No correction at all. Ran on 99 octane fuel.

I really don't think my exhaust is holding me back when you look at the max flow rates of a twin 2.5" vs twin 3" system. The car does not make enough exhaust gas to reach the choak point of a twin 2.5" system.

My exhaust is customs and as straight as you can get it so there's not really any restriction at all.

Cams would help but I don't feel the need for any more power at the moment as the car spins in 3rd in the dry anyway.

Quick Reply: How do you guys get such high WHP out of low PSI turbo set ups??